PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from Tiger to Mountain Lion on MacPro

VA24
Aug 28, 2013, 01:56 PM
Hi folks,

I have a basic question (at least I assume it is) and could use some help. I have a MacPro with an Intel processor from 2007 that runs Tiger 10.4.10. I know, I know ancient history. But I run a small business and have been able to use all the programs I need without difficulty, so I've hesitated to upgrade over the years and risk learning that some program or another won't run on the new OS. Previous experiences upgrading were not pleasant.

The time has come to upgrade, but in poking around online a little, I'm confused about my options. So my basic question is simple: Is my machine capable of running Mountain Lion or not?

If so, assuming that some of my programs won't run in Mountain Lion, would an Archive and Install allow me to save my Tiger settings and use those programs in Tiger while also running Mountain Lion from a separate folder?

Obviously I'm not well-versed in this stuff, but before I invest in new programs that run only on Mountain Lion, I want to make sure my machine can use them. Thanks for any help!

Bear
Aug 28, 2013, 03:22 PM
Hi folks,

I have a basic question (at least I assume it is) and could use some help. I have a MacPro with an Intel processor from 2007 that runs Tiger 10.4.10.
...According to Apple's Mountain Lion Technical Specs (http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/) your Mac Pro is not support.

Note: When Mavericks is released, that link is likely to become Mavericks Technical Specs.