Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
So here is my situation. I want to upgrade to iOS 7, but I don't want to lose my unlock. I bought the phone from some guy off of craigslist, and it was unlocked when I got it. I am not sure if he had it carrier unlocked directly from at&t or some unlock method on the internet. So I am really wondering, would updating to the beta re lock my phone? By the way it is a 16GB iPhone 4

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
So here is my situation. I want to upgrade to iOS 7, but I don't want to lose my unlock. I bought the phone from some guy off of craigslist, and it was unlocked when I got it. I am not sure if he had it carrier unlocked directly from at&t or some unlock method on the internet. So I am really wondering, would updating to the beta re lock my phone? By the way it is a 16GB iPhone 4

Just wait until it's officialy released 'cause you don't seem to know jack about betas and whatnot

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
There are only 3 possible ways it could be unlocked:

Ultrasn0w via Cydia
sim interposer in sim slot with carrier sim
IMEI unlock

If it it either of first 2 methods, when you update, you lose the unlock.
The IMEI unlock is forever.

Honestly, if you require the phone to be unlocked, without knowing what you are doing, I recommend you stay clear of updating since going from beta to GM can be semi-technical

Last edited:

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Just wait until it's officialy released 'cause you don't seem to know jack about betas and whatnot

It's not like I don't know anything. I already put it on my iPad. I just don't want to lose my unlock. But I guess I'll just wait

pottyvick

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2013
It's not like I don't know anything. I already put it on my iPad. I just don't want to lose my unlock. But I guess I'll just wait

Check online to see if its imei unlocked... ive used imei.info and its free... (if im not supposed to post that link, sorry)

Wikwoo

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Manitoba, Canada

iOS 7 on iPhone 4 is dreadful, it's so slow and laggy and just ugh, wait until the full release, trust me, I have the beta on my 4 and it's pretty bad..
If you do insist on putting the beta on there, no, it won't reset the unlock, (mine was unlocked when I updated to the beta)

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
It just depends on how it was unlocked. If it was a jailbroken/software unlock then it won't be preserved. If it was IMEI unlocked then it will be preserved.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Do you have an app called "Cydia" on your phone? Also eject the SIM tray and see how many physical cards are in there.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
There are only 3 possible ways it could be unlocked:

Ultrasn0w via Cydia
sim interposer in sim slot with carrier sim
IMEI unlock

If it it either of first 2 methods, when you update, you lose the unlock.
The IMEI unlock is forever.

It just depends on how it was unlocked. If it was a jailbroken/software unlock then it won't be preserved. If it was IMEI unlocked then it will be preserved.

dlhlizard's response pretty well covered it three days ago.

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Do you have an app called "Cydia" on your phone? Also eject the SIM tray and see how many physical cards are in there.

What would sim cards have to do with anything? And of course I would have mentioned if I was jailbroken.........

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
What would sim cards have to do with anything?

Well that's what locking is all about - restricting the phone to certain SIMs - so it has a lot to do with it!

Edit: A little clarification: My earlier post was to see whether there's an interposer in there. If there is one then it's pretty much guaranteed to not be an official unlock.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.