PDA

View Full Version : Mailbox Updated With Cloud Search

MacRumors
Aug 28, 2013, 08:08 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/28/mailbox-updated-with-cloud-search/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/mailbox.jpgMailbox (http://www.mailboxapp.com) has been updated to version 1.5.0, adding cloud search. With cloud search, it is now possible for users to quickly search through all of their Gmail messages. Previously, search was limited to messages that had been downloaded and searching was often slow.

The update also includes the option to add signatures to emails based on the address that they are sent from (Mailbox supports up to five different Gmail accounts) and it also allows users to open email links directly within Google's Chrome (http://appshopper.com/utilities/chrome) app.What's new

- Cloud Search (now search every message in your Gmail account)
- Account-specific signatures
- Open links in Chrome
- Performance improvements and bug fixesMailbox, which had a controversial debut due to the reservation system (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/16/mailbox-removes-reservation-system-after-server-boost/) that it implemented as new users signed up, was purchased (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/15/dropbox-acquires-mailbox-will-accelerate-rollout/) by Dropbox back in March. Since then the sign up restrictions have been lifted, making the app available to all users.

Mailbox (http://appshopper.com/productivity/mailbox) is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link (http://appshopper.com/productivity/mailbox)]

Article Link: Mailbox Updated With Cloud Search (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/28/mailbox-updated-with-cloud-search/)

JGIGS
Aug 28, 2013, 08:16 PM
Great app. It's my default mail app. Then need to release a android verion and mac app/web based app and I'll be a very happy camper.

Still kind of wish google would have bought it instead of drop box and implemented it into gmail.

Still very good!

hob
Aug 28, 2013, 08:17 PM
Mailbox is now complete. Fantastic update.

JGIGS
Aug 28, 2013, 08:28 PM

Technically it still needs to show the spam folder. Not sure why it doesn't

bradkrischel
Aug 28, 2013, 08:31 PM
It's no longer showing me a picture on the "You're all done." screen. Anyone else having the same problem?

locoboi187
Aug 28, 2013, 08:50 PM
I like the iOS 7 mail app even though no gmail push

JGIGS
Aug 28, 2013, 09:24 PM

Which to me as a gmail user makes it useless. No thanks. Plus the later function of Mailbox is what is truly great.

sransari
Aug 28, 2013, 09:30 PM
I think this is the most overrated app. To me, there's no difference between having your read messages reside in your inbox or your archived folder. The badge counter is useless as well, showing "1" indicating if you have a new message (but not the number of messages) or a number of total messages in your inbox even if they have been read. Also, email attachments that include attachments of other emails (.eml) files don't display properly. Too many issues for this thing to be considered by many to be the best mail app.

iproductsuser
Aug 28, 2013, 09:34 PM
I consider the biggest issue the badge thing. It needs to display number of unread emails. This is awfully basic, why hasn't this been implemented??

locoboi187
Aug 28, 2013, 09:34 PM
Which to me as a gmail user makes it useless. No thanks. Plus the later function of Mailbox is what is truly great.

Mailbox is really overrated. I use to be one of those people who couldn't live without push. I was one of Mailbox's first users. I liked it, for a couple of months. But then I went back to the Gmail official app which is solidly built despite the negative reviews. Now I'm at the "I must use stock Apple apps" phase.

KKarmous
Aug 28, 2013, 09:46 PM
Does anyone know if they are planning a Mac version of Mailbox?

jdechko
Aug 28, 2013, 09:48 PM
Currently for Gmail only. Other email platforms coming soon.

K. Thanks.

I'd like to try this app, but I can't.

gorbok
Aug 28, 2013, 09:58 PM
I consider the biggest issue the badge thing. It needs to display number of unread emails. This is awfully basic, why hasn't this been implemented??

I've only just started using Mailbox, so I'm not entirely sure how it will work out for me, but as I understand it the whole point is to keep an empty inbox. So if there is a read email in the inbox, the badge icon reminds you that you need to archive it or snooze it. The whole idea is to reach zero. Displaying the number of unread emails would be against the whole concept of the app.

I like the concept, but like I said, I'm not sure yet whether it'll work for me.

vseera
Aug 28, 2013, 09:58 PM
I installed the app recently for the free dropbox space, used it and really liked it, then uninstalled it.

Why? Because of the huge security and privacy concerns. This is basically creating an intermediary between Google and you, so everytime you check mail from Mailbox you're actually connecting to Mailbox's servers.

If their servers go down or are compromised, you get no mail.

If their servers are accessed by anyone, your mail can be read by anyone.

I am just not comfortable not being able to connect to my mail directly.

Not to mention that there may be data mining going on.

As the saying goes, if you don't know what the product (for sale) is, you're the product.

jonnysods
Aug 28, 2013, 10:23 PM
I know you guys don't care, but I would love to see this come out on Android....

padapada
Aug 28, 2013, 11:08 PM
... As the saying goes, if you don't know what the product (for sale) is, you're the product.

Exactly! The first thing you should realize when subscribing to a "free" service.

Fuzzi
Aug 29, 2013, 02:32 AM
does anybody know a similar app for OS X? (that can handle multiple gmail accounts and has cloudsearch)

hob
Aug 29, 2013, 03:48 AM
does anybody know a similar app for OS X? (that can handle multiple gmail accounts and has cloudsearch)

Sparrow. If you can still find a copy…

whynot83706
Aug 29, 2013, 03:58 AM
Great app. It's my default mail app. Then need to release a android verion and mac app/web based app and I'll be a very happy camper.

Still kind of wish google would have bought it instead of drop box and implemented it into gmail.

Still very good!

I think it's better this way, it may stay more simple than with Google.

----------

They can always add other accounts but Gmail.

BlueParadox
Aug 29, 2013, 04:03 AM

K. Thanks.

Indeed, it's disappointing there isn't support for email other than gmail. Hopefully "soon".

whynot83706
Aug 29, 2013, 04:09 AM
Does anyone know if they are planning a Mac version of Mailbox?

If you check their twitter account, they are saying its on their To Do list.

----------

I installed the app recently for the free dropbox space, used it and really liked it, then uninstalled it.

Why? Because of the huge security and privacy concerns. This is basically creating an intermediary between Google and you, so everytime you check mail from Mailbox you're actually connecting to Mailbox's servers.

If their servers go down or are compromised, you get no mail.

If their servers are accessed by anyone, your mail can be read by anyone.

I am just not comfortable not being able to connect to my mail directly.

As the saying goes, if you don't know what the product (for sale) is, you're the product.

From the Privacy stand point how they are different then Googke, u think they don't data mine you account or even read your emails? From security, yes one more place where someone can jump in.

ValSalva
Aug 29, 2013, 04:55 AM
If only it allowed filing of emails to GMail tags/folders it would be a perfect iOS mail app.

anomie
Aug 29, 2013, 04:56 AM
Still Gmail only. It's way overrated. If you use nothing but gmail, there is a google app for that.
Mailbox did nothing but messing up my gmail inboxes.

pbateman
Aug 29, 2013, 05:27 AM

K. Thanks.

Same here. I'm weaning off gmail and switching to another provider, would love to be able to use this with another provider...

----------

I've heard "if you're not paying for the product, then you are the product", in that sense its no different than using the Gmail app since Google is the master of data mining. This is why I will be migrating my gmail once startmail comes out or one of its alternatives...

SJay
Aug 29, 2013, 07:51 AM

I have always used gmail push app with native ios app

Configure gmail with Exchange.

I know that Google has discontinued support for Exchange, but still works (at least for me)

dpear
Aug 29, 2013, 09:02 AM

It has been, it's an option in settings. You can have it display a '1' for each email in your inbox, OR a '1' for each unread email, or never show a count badge at all

Belmont31R
Aug 29, 2013, 09:18 AM
It has been, it's an option in settings. You can have it display a '1' for each email in your inbox, OR a '1' for each unread email, or never show a count badge at all

It's either a count of all emails, read or unread, or a 1 if you have unread emails no matter how many.

As pointed out, the purpose of the app is to create folders to file emails to so the inbox has zero emails.

I used Mailbox for months but have stopped using it. The push doesn't work as well as the native app and I've migrated my email to Office 365 and don't use Google Apps anymore to host my email.

I have 3 email accounts I need to keep track of and having one app do all 3 just works better for me. The native app doesn't have a lot of features but works fine for me. I'm looking forward to the ios7 mail app.

Besides that you can't set default apps so I was using the native app a lot anyways.

ptb42
Aug 29, 2013, 10:21 AM
I know that Google has discontinued support for Exchange, but still works (at least for me)

It will work until you switch to a new device. Then, it will stop working.

I didn't realize they had discontinued it, and couldn't figure out why my iPhone 5 wouldn't connect after restoring my backup from the previous phone. After some digging, I found the announcement.

I reconfigured my iOS mail app to connect to a GMail account, rather than an Exchange account. New mail is no longer "pushed", but it hasn't been a big deal: I just have to wait a few seconds for it to refresh when I check my mail.

madmaxmedia
Aug 29, 2013, 12:06 PM
Hooray for 1 more GB!

For those wanting a similar app but with support for many more email services (Gmail, iCloud, Yahoo, IMAP, etc.) Evomail is a pretty nice app (and also free.) The iPad version costs money, iPhone version is free.

vseera
Sep 1, 2013, 11:46 PM
From the Privacy stand point how they are different then Googke, u think they don't data mine you account or even read your emails? From security, yes one more place where someone can jump in.

I've heard "if you're not paying for the product, then you are the product", in that sense its no different than using the Gmail app since Google is the master of data mining. This is why I will be migrating my gmail once startmail comes out or one of its alternatives...

The issue is that Google has much more to lose by doing anything stupid with the data. We already know they mine it and have made our peace with it (if you use a gmail account).
Plus your mail goes through more servers, has more chance of being read and more chance of being compromised and it's just a security nightmare! (disclaimer: I'm a security professional so maybe a bit more paranoid than the average user)

Having a fairly new 3rd party pop up on the scene and say "Hey! Let me give you a free service if you give me access to your email account!" is definitely cause to keep me suspicious.

Otherwise, please keep a look out for my new email service coming soon, based on gmail ;)