PDA

View Full Version : [Resolved] Proposed Setup / Workflow

Macman45
Aug 29, 2013, 01:49 AM
My new Yamaha board delivers today, and I'm one step ahead of the game, having downloaded the manual to take a look see....(See attached image)

For "Powered Speakers" Read Genelec X 2

For Synth Read Novation SL MK 11

Now this is where I'm looking at monitoring options....Since the yamaha is capable of two way real time monitoring via headphones and the Genelecs...I'm looking for a way to connect my Onkyo AV system in...This would only be required when I'm listening to close to a final project in as "Real World" testing environment as I can get...Has anyone else set their system up to use 3 way monitoring?

ChrisA
Aug 29, 2013, 11:02 PM
People really are not using setups like this. It seems popular to simply buy an audio interface with enough inputs and outputs and then route everything through the DAW.

Mixers like that Yamaha are best used for live sound reinforcement.

My new Yamaha board delivers today, and I'm one step ahead of the game, having downloaded the manual to take a look see....(See attached image)

For "Powered Speakers" Read Genelec X 2

For Synth Read Novation SL MK 11

Now this is where I'm looking at monitoring options....Since the yamaha is capable of two way real time monitoring via headphones and the Genelecs...I'm looking for a way to connect my Onkyo AV system in...This would only be required when I'm listening to close to a final project in as "Real World" testing environment as I can get...Has anyone else set their system up to use 3 way monitoring?

Macman45
Aug 30, 2013, 07:57 AM
The unit is actually serving dual purposes....I do use it as a direct interface for my guitars and bass, and the Phantom power is required for my Rode's, but it also now has been connected to notr only the Genelec's but also to a turntable...Meaning I can also use it for finally ripping al that darned vinyl.

There is zero noise from the pre-amp, and there are no bells and frills...Just a compressor which I won't use as Logic's is better anyway, and a couple of other things.

For 167.00 It's great value for money IMO.

Boyd01
Aug 30, 2013, 11:57 AM
Not sure if I understood your question. By "3 way monitoring", do you mean: headphones, studio monitors and a home stereo?

If so, then that's what I do. I have an Akai EIE Pro 4 channel USB interface and plug Sony headphones and Mackie studio monitors into it. Then I have a stero pair of wires running into the next room where they connect to an aux input on my receiver. I also use this play iTunes from my Mac over my home sound system (which has speakers in 3 different rooms).

The way I connected this was a kludge, but it works and it was cheap. My Mackie monitors have both XLR and RCA connectors, and I use the XLR to connect them to my audio interface. I then use the RCA connector on the monitor as an OUTPUT, with a cable running to the stereo receiver.

Macman45
Aug 31, 2013, 02:15 AM
Not sure if I understood your question. By "3 way monitoring", do you mean: headphones, studio monitors and a home stereo?

If so, then that's what I do. I have an Akai EIE Pro 4 channel USB interface and plug Sony headphones and Mackie studio monitors into it. Then I have a stero pair of wires running into the next room where they connect to an aux input on my receiver. I also use this play iTunes from my Mac over my home sound system (which has speakers in 3 different rooms).

The way I connected this was a kludge, but it works and it was cheap. My Mackie monitors have both XLR and RCA connectors, and I use the XLR to connect them to my audio interface. I then use the RCA connector on the monitor as an OUTPUT, with a cable running to the stereo receiver.

Thanks...I got it worked out fine now.....Have mounted the Genelecs in a location that best provides a good working sound field, and am just waiting for a couple of large jack adaptors. Then I'm good to go..:)