PDA

View Full Version : Backup tool across the internet to another PC?

whitedragon101
Aug 29, 2013, 01:05 PM
This tool allows you to use a friends system as a cloud backup instead of paying for cloud space.
http://www.buddybackup.com

Does anyone know of a multi-platform software that does this as my friends have Windows PCs.

Bear
Aug 29, 2013, 01:23 PM
I believe the CrashPlan software allows you to do that without a fee. You only need to pay for CrashPlan service if you want to use their storage for your backups.

whitedragon101
Aug 30, 2013, 05:55 AM
Thanks Bear that looks great.

Even their paid services look excellent value for money. Makes me a little suspicious offering so much for so little cash (although excellent if they are reliable). The client list on their site is very impressive but I'm not sure how I would check whether the list is accurate (i.e not a lie). I might just email one or two of the companies and ask them.

Has anyone used crashplan ? How did you find their service?

Weaselboy
Aug 30, 2013, 09:40 AM
Has anyone used crashplan ? How did you find their service?

I have been using them for online backup for over two years now and like it a lot. I prepaid for the four year plan to get a better rate and don't regret it at all.

I you do a forum search for Crashplan you will find a lot of forum members here use the service.

matt2053
Aug 31, 2013, 05:43 PM
I've been a happy crash plan customer for over a year.

whitedragon101
Sep 2, 2013, 09:12 AM
Just backing up to the crashplan trial. All seems ok so far although it would be nice to get an upload speed faster than 4Mb/s (megabits), my connection allows for 20-25Mb/s up .

Weaselboy
Sep 2, 2013, 09:14 AM
Just backing up to the crashplan trial. All seems ok so far although it would be nice to get an upload speed faster than 4Mb/s (megabits), my connection allows for 20-25Mb/s up .

You might try out the tips here (http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/recipe/speeding_up_your_backup). Try increasing the upload speed when the machine is in use.