Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57600499-71/woz-apple-may-have-to-build-a-non-iphone-phone/

In an interview with Reuters in Singapore, Woz confronted the issues facing Apple and mused that specific products might have to be created for certain parts of the world.

Admitting that some might find the concept "almost treasonous," he wondered whether Apple shouldn't get together with Chinese partners and build a phone appropriate to the local market.

It shouldn't be called the iPhone. Indeed, Apple shouldn't put its brand on it, but only "inspect it to make sure it's a quality product."

Didn't Apple basically do this once before with the Mac clones? How did that work out for them? And if they do something like this in China it will only embolden carriers in other markets to demand more control over iPhone with bloatware, carrier branding or carrier specific phones etc. Not sure I get why Woz thinks this is a good idea. I wouldn't be surprised if come September Cook announces a deal with China mobile, which would definitely change the picture for Apple in China.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Woz has equal power on Apple's direction as your regular macrumors poster.

Or even less.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
When we hear of Woz the last few years, I can't help but think he's trying to hang on to relevance. His statements show he is more a consumer and not even close to a businessman.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Woz was the smart one of the 2 Steve's he didn't want to be relevant that's why he taught for free for all those years. He's a behind the scenes guy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Woz was the smart one of the 2 Steve's he didn't want to be relevant that's why he taught for free for all those years. He's a behind the scenes guy

I'd say Jobs was very smart. He saw opportunities where others did not, I mean the list is long where he was able to show product that no one else thought there was even a need.

I agree Woz is a behind the scene guy, and there's nothing wrong with that. He's an incredibly gifted engineer but to say he was the smart one out of the two, is a discredit. They both brought different gifts to the table to create a great computer.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I'd say Jobs was very smart. He saw opportunities where others did not, I mean the list is long where he was able to show product that no one else thought there was even a need.

I agree Woz is a behind the scene guy, and there's nothing wrong with that. He's an incredibly gifted engineer but to say he was the smart one out of the two, is a discredit. They both brought different gifts to the table to create a great computer.

I think Jobs was way overrated and not even a decent or nice human being to top it.

Apple rarely introduces new things they introduce better versions of things that exist..iTunes and it iterative following's are what sells product. Neither the iPhone nor the iPad would exist at the popularity levels they do without the iTunes store.

My feelings on Jobs aside, Woz doesn't particularly want to be relevant he's got more than enough money and he's got his electronic toys. He's 63 or 64 years old and secured his place in history. Let the guy be happy and play with his stuff on his terms

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Woz never had the mindset of a businessman. He's an engineer.

This. Woz loves to create and use new tech. He is not in anyway a business man. Just because he has a questionable reckon every now and then, doesn't mean he is 'losing it'. I respect his opinions. He knows a lot more about computers and the industry than I do.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I think Jobs was way overrated and not even a decent or nice human being to top it.

Apple rarely introduces new things they introduce better versions of things that exist..iTunes and it iterative following's are what sells product. Neither the iPhone nor the iPad would exist at the popularity levels they do without the iTunes store.

My feelings on Jobs aside, Woz doesn't particularly want to be relevant he's got more than enough money and he's got his electronic toys. He's 63 or 64 years old and secured his place in history. Let the guy be happy and play with his stuff on his terms

I have no issues with Woz except when he spouts off nonsense like this. Jobs may be overrated but its in large part because of him that Apple went from near bankruptcy to the most valuable company in the world.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have no issues with Woz except when he spouts off nonsense like this. Jobs may be overrated but its in large part because of him that Apple went from near bankruptcy to the most valuable company in the world.

Not only that, but Apple became a reality as well. Woz wanted to give away the plans (or the logic board I forget) for the Apple I. Jobs saw the potential of building a fully functional Apple I computer.

I'm not enamored by Jobs, he wasn't not a nice person, but he was incredibly gifted and a visionary to the extent he was able to shape the computer industry, the music industry and phone industry. You can say he never created anything new, but rather took an existing product and made it better but he saw things that others did not, like the iPhone, the iPod, the home computer. All of which existed to some degree but it wasn't until he came along with a vision.

I'm not down on woz, I envy his engineering prowess and he's a very smart person. I'd rather be more nerdy like him, then like Jobs. I just don't think I'd want to take business cues from woz that's all.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
This. Woz loves to create and use new tech. He is not in anyway a business man. Just because he has a questionable reckon every now and then, doesn't mean he is 'losing it'. I respect his opinions. He knows a lot more about computers and the industry than I do.

He's not a businessman...then it would be nice if he'd be quiet in stead of spouting off all these things Apple needs to do that probably would be a mistake business wise. Like saying Apple should port iTunes to Android because they did it with Windows. Um, the only reason iTunes was ported to Windows was because you needed a computer to sync music to your iPod and the majority of consumers use Windows PCs. At the end of the day it was all about selling more iPods. How does putting iTunes on Android sell more iDevices?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
He's not a businessman...then it would be nice if he'd be quiet in stead of spouting off all these things Apple needs to do that probably would be a mistake business wise. Like saying Apple should port iTunes to Android because they did it with Windows. Um, the only reason iTunes was ported to Windows was because you needed a computer to sync music to your iPod and the majority of consumers use Windows PCs. At the end of the day it was all about selling more iPods. How does putting iTunes on Android sell more iDevices?

Why does it matter to you what he says?

Woz is just a tech freak who's wishing out loud. He obviously still cares for the company he co-founded and is entitled to his opinion, even if it is a bit eccentric at times.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
He's not a businessman...then it would be nice if he'd be quiet in stead of spouting off all these things Apple needs to do that probably would be a mistake business wise.

So in these interviews he gets, how is he meant to respond to the one question we all know he is going to get: "what do you think Apple should be doing to rectify problem x?" Of course he is going to tell his opinion. He isn't exactly going to respond by talking about how his gardening skills are improving. He will do exactly what everybody else would do and answer the question.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
I do wish people would stop spouting off about people spouting off.

There - that's me spouting off.

If I'm not interested in other people's opinions - I'll come to a forum and let you all know.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
So in these interviews he gets, how is he meant to respond to the one question we all know he is going to get: "what do you think Apple should be doing to rectify problem x?" Of course he is going to tell his opinion. He isn't exactly going to respond by talking about how his gardening skills are improving. He will do exactly what everybody else would do and answer the question.

There are ways of giving a non-answer. I wish John Sculley would do the same when he's asked. Or at least not give head scratching answers like this, or like throwing iTunes on Android.

----------

Why does it matter to you what he says?

Woz is just a tech freak who's wishing out loud. He obviously still cares for the company he co-founded and is entitled to his opinion, even if it is a bit eccentric at times.

Well if cares that much and thinks these ideas would make Apple better how about sharing them with Tim Cook rather than the media at large? From the link I posted it doesn't sound like he's doing that. Not sure why as I doubt Cook would blow him off.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands

And that's where he should stay. Behind the scenes and don't talk rubbish.

Yes, he was the "smart" engineer / hacker / etc, but other than that he wasn't that smart.

Renzatic

Suspended
Yes, he was the "smart" engineer / hacker / etc, but other than that he wasn't that smart.

Sure, he could build a rocket that could go to the moon no problem. Hell, one time I asked him to tune up my car, and by the time he was done not even half an hour later, it could go from zero to 60 in 3 seconds, and still somehow managed to get an extra 20 miles per gallon. Guy knows his machines.

...but ask him to play the piano and it was all "donk donk donk". No grace whatsoever, just tone deaf plunking.

So would I say he's smart? Nah. Not really. After hearing him try his hand at music, I'd say he's a complete idiot. I mean sure, he's a genius at mechanics, but really smart people are good at everything, you know.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Not so insane.....

if we consider and ponder as true the development and deploying of the upcoming "iPhone El Cheapo" version.....Suppossed for emergent markets....Rusia, China, Brazil, India.....

:):apple:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I mean sure, he's a genius at mechanics, but really smart people are good at everything, you know.

Of course, no-one is a genius at everything, but the Woz should stick at the one thing he is good at and not be triggered into saying anything else he has absolutely no clue about.

Renzatic

Suspended
Of course, no-one is a genius at everything, but the Woz should stick at the one thing he is good at and not be triggered into saying anything else he has absolutely no clue about.

I'm gonna agree with what Phoenixsan said above. While they're not going the total Woz route by making a phone specifically for China, the iPhone C is proof that Apple is willing to scale back their usually high standards a bit in order to expand into lower end markets.

Woz strikes me as the type of guy who doesn't say anything unless it's well thought out, and he can back up his statements. While you don't have to agree with him, he is speaking from an educated position. I wouldn't call him a businessman exactly, but he's been in the business long enough to know how it works.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Woz strikes me as the type of guy who doesn't say anything unless it's well thought out, and he can back up his statements. While you don't have to agree with him, he is speaking from an educated position. I wouldn't call him a businessman exactly, but he's been in the business long enough to know how it works.

I agree that Wozniak is the type of guy that thinks before he speaks, and trust me, my respect for the guy is endless!! No Woz >> No Apple!

I just think that because his heart and soul isn't into business and making money, he shouldn't speak his mind publicly, no matter how long he has thought about it.

I feel the same way of Jobs getting related to politics. And Bono. And I love Job's achievements, just like U2's.
Stick to what you're good at. Think and say what you will privately, just try not to get involved publicly.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Woz has equal power on Apple's direction as your regular macrumors poster.

Or even less.

Yea, sure. You are free to believe anything you want.

Steve Wozniak might not be part of Apple but he is a very smart guy and when he talks, people listen.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Yea, sure. You are free to believe anything you want.

Steve Wozniak might not be part of Apple but he is a very smart guy and when he talks, people listen.

Who's listening?

While I have great respect for his work at Apple, what has he done in the past 25 years?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.