Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JuliaCaroline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
Hey, so I recently got an iPhone 5. So far it has worked great, but there's just one tiny little thing bothering me. I have downloaded some songs which is shown under the wrong letters! I'm very sure it has nothing to do with the songs, but the iPhone. I have noticed that all the songs that starts with "the" is placed under the wrong letters. For example, a song named "The Journey" is placed under J, a song named "The Girl Running" is placed under G. So they kind of just don't mind the "the" at all.

This isn't much of a problem, it just annoys me. I'm a huge controlfreak.

And please, if you answer this question, answer in a language easy to understand, in words that I understand. I'm a 15 year old girl from Norway, don't expect to much from me.

Thank you xx

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But I don't! Is there any way to change it?
You should be able to go into iTunes on your computer, Get Info on such songs, Click on the Sorting tab, then change the Sort Name to reflect what you want. After you've done that, sync with your iOS device.

Cruciarius

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013
Massachusetts
Ignoring "The" in a title is normal. If you go into a store to buy physical media (music, movie, game, etc), you'll not find what you are seeking if it starts with "The" and you go to T.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Any time you are dealing with some type of alphabetical file system, you'll find that 'the' is always ignored, that is the proper way of alphabetizing.

Rather than having The Doors under 'The', it would be under D for Doors.

Otherwise, you have to scroll through tons of them under 'the' to find the right one.

If you don't like them being organized that way, then you'll need to pay attention and make adjustments regardless of what phone or computer you use in the future.

This will apply to anything…music, books, movies, apps and etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.