Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verseafterverse

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
So I was just wondering is there anyone here that doesn't use a case for there iphone 5 i just got mine and i really dont want to use one??

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Then don't use one. I see people not use cases all the time, and there's certainly tens of threads exactly like this one.

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Sometimes I'll go caseless so I can enjoy the beauty of the iphone 5, then get scared i'll drop it (it's happened to me once already) then throw my Otterbox Commuter on it. Then after a while I get sick of the commuter and go caseless. I'm back and forth with it.

imhereareyou

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
I go caseless... If I am careless and drop it I will replace it. No need to worry about it.

CHMK

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
i dont use one. its too beautiful without. but then if u dont u have to be really careful, basically if u drop it ure screwed . and it scratches easily

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I don't use a case on mine. I bought AppleCare+ for the extended warranty (had troubles with my iPhone 4 after the one year warranty expired and I'm never going without the two year again). With that said, it now covers drop damage... $50 deductible is basically like the price of a case. Win-win in my situation.

If you can't afford to replace your phone if it breaks, use a case. If you can, don't.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I like going caseless too, but I don't like getting scratches. I've tried various skins and ultra thins, and the best compromise I've found is the Caudabe Veil. Extremely thin and really good quality. The iPhone appears naked but there's still decent scratch and bump protection. It's cheap enough that if I break it, I can just get another one. Latest price I saw on Amazon was $14.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Caudabe+veil

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
So I was just wondering is there anyone here that doesn't use a case for there iphone 5 i just got mine and i really dont want to use one??
Yes, many do -- and not just for the 5 but for any device out there. Why does it matter? Do whatever works for you.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
The iPhone 5 scratches even when it's in a case. One drop or accidentally put in pocket with keys and it would be a right mess. I need maximum resale value to fund the next iPhone.

Also, I prefer the feel of it in my had when its in a case, I personally find it more comfortable.

Warcake

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
case or no case

The iPhone 5 scratches even when it's in a case. One drop or accidentally put in pocket with keys and it would be a right mess. I need maximum resale value to fund the next iPhone.

Also, I prefer the feel of it in my had when its in a case, I personally find it more comfortable.

This. There are cases that make the iPhone 5 more comfortable to hold since the thing is too damn thin. For example; the magpul i5. I rarely roll naked these days since I'm starting to dislike the feel of the chamfered edge.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
For reference I used my white iPhone 5 for 10 months without a case and at the end of it all, it had a few dents and scratches on the back. There were also hairline scratches on the front screen but nothing to write home about! I got a warranty replacement recently so I'm trying to keep this one clean in a case, but eventually I'll go back to enjoying it as it was designed :)

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I like going caseless too, but I don't like getting scratches. I've tried various skins and ultra thins, and the best compromise I've found is the Caudabe Veil. Extremely thin and really good quality. The iPhone appears naked but there's still decent scratch and bump protection. It's cheap enough that if I break it, I can just get another one. Latest price I saw on Amazon was $14.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Caudabe+veil

I have the Caudabe Veil, too and it works great as a thin minimal case.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I started with a case, but then went with the Spigen Linear EX slim case, which is really just a bumper. The phone still looks almost naked, but the bumper provides enough extra grip that I don't feel like I'm going to drop my phone.

rjkgr

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2013
case!!! not worth paying 40-90 dollars to fix a screen, and i just brought a bumper case for 3 dollars and havent broke my screen yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.