PDA

View Full Version : Mactels

koocevadca
Nov 21, 2005, 06:26 PM
When the Mactels show up will we be able to run Windows on them with out Virtual PC and the like?

jsw
Nov 21, 2005, 06:31 PM
I think Apple has said that they won't go to heroic measures to prevent that, so, most likely, yes.

SummerBreeze
Nov 21, 2005, 06:34 PM
But....your computer will still be susceptible to Windows viruses that can wipe the entire hard drive, so I'd practice some caution. I definitely wouldn't load Windows on my own computer, but I can see why someone would want to.

Of course, we don't really know if this will be an easy thing to do until the Mactels actually come out, so we can't give you a sure answer yet.

grapes911
Nov 21, 2005, 06:38 PM
But....your computer will still be susceptible to Windows viruses that can wipe the entire hard drive, so I'd practice some caution. I definitely wouldn't load Windows on my own computer, but I can see why someone would want to.
The Windows partition could be messed up. The HFS partition probably can't be messed up too much because Windows doesn't have the correct drivers to access the partition. The MBR could be wiped and you'd be screwed, but it is not hard to make a back up.

DarkNetworks
Nov 21, 2005, 07:52 PM
it would be cool if u run OS X and at the same time can open Windows apps...:rolleyes:

treblah
Nov 21, 2005, 08:13 PM
it would be cool if u run OS X and at the same time can open Windows apps...:rolleyes:

http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

Just read a few days ago that someone had Notepad.exe running through Darwine.
I'll try and find the link.

RobHague
Nov 21, 2005, 08:26 PM
Mactels... i hate that word. :p

Anyhow, yes thats what we should all do -- buy a new Mac and then install Windows on it. :D :p With a bit of luck Apple will put a big warning note inside the manual telling users that installing Microsoft Operating Systems on your Mac can cause children to point at you in the street and laugh. ;)

grapes911
Nov 21, 2005, 09:17 PM
Me too. We don't call the current ones MacIBM, IBMacs, or some stupid name. The older chips where made by Motorola. Were they Macolas? What makes these ones so special? Nothing. They are just the next generation chip Apple chose to use.

DarkNetworks
Nov 22, 2005, 05:13 AM
http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

Just read a few days ago that someone had Notepad.exe running through Darwine.
I'll try and find the link.

This is cool...;)

Morn
Nov 22, 2005, 05:30 AM
I like mactel, neat satire of wintel.
Anyway, I hope apple makes use of Intel's virtualization technology so we can run windows and osx together, and be able to use directx and opengl on windows at full speed.

DarkNetworks
Nov 22, 2005, 07:47 AM
I like mactel, neat satire of wintel.
Anyway, I hope apple makes use of Intel's virtualization technology so we can run windows and osx together, and be able to use directx and opengl on windows at full speed.

I hate the word mactel to be honest...

BornAgainMac
Nov 22, 2005, 07:56 AM
What about MacWin?

revisionA
Nov 22, 2005, 08:16 AM
Oh hell no!

This is like Bennifer... and we know how that marriage plan ended...

MacIntel... please.

$

Lord Blackadder
Nov 22, 2005, 09:33 AM
They're just Macs to me.

I'm really planning on running a dual boot Rev. A Pentium-powered Powerbook - I'll be off to grad school and I really need a dual boot machine. Apple will show up with the very thing I need in the nick of time.

I'm not too worried about virii, having seperate partitions and an external for backup plus my G4 tower as the second-string computer should be sufficient.

andy89
Nov 22, 2005, 09:55 AM
I hope there will be a windows mode like there is a classic mode

ftaok
Nov 22, 2005, 09:59 AM
This is like Bennifer... and we know how that marriage plan ended...$
Yeah, but he's with Jennifer Garner now. So Bennifer still works.

revisionA
Nov 22, 2005, 10:03 AM
Yeah, but he's with Jennifer Garner now. So Bennifer still works.

Lets hope that Merom is like Garner... hmm

iEdd
Nov 22, 2005, 02:01 PM
Well that would leave me with 3 options:
#parition HDD, put windoze on, go online and be careful
#The same, but never use windows online
#Put Windows on separate HDD.
I hope Darwin or Wine or whatever it's called will be developed to boot some apps inside OSX successfully.

DarkNetworks
Nov 22, 2005, 06:06 PM
I hope Darwin or Wine or whatever it's called will be developed to boot some apps inside OSX successfully.

that's what i really hope will happen...:rolleyes:

muffinman
Nov 22, 2005, 06:53 PM
when i first heard the word, "mactel" i thought apple was going to make mac televisions. :o

hvfsl
Nov 22, 2005, 06:55 PM

Of course, we don't really know if this will be an easy thing to do until the Mactels actually come out, so we can't give you a sure answer yet.

As long as you don't download from P2P programs/install pirate software, use a good firewall program (or use one like those built into routers) and use Firefox. You shouldn't have any problems.

To install Windows on the Intel Macs, I expect we will need to wipe the hard disk (or get 2 hard disks) and then create two partitions: 1 NTFS partition for Windows and 1 HFS+ partition for Mac OS X. You will probably then need to install Windows first and then install Mac OS X second. I am hoping Apple will have some kind of boot menu for users that choose to install 2 OSs, but if not we can just install an opensource boot loader.

G5power
Nov 23, 2005, 09:28 AM
I have a small Shuttle PC that I use for anything I need to run in Windows. I think that I'll stick to that and don't plan on having multiple OS/boot partitions on any MacIntel systems.

Will Cheyney
Nov 23, 2005, 09:36 AM
YES! Me too... I shudder every time I see it.

Will Cheyney
Nov 23, 2005, 09:38 AM
I probably will have a partition with Windows installed on it, but only to show all my Windows-orientated friends and s****** at them. :cool: