PDA

View Full Version : w h e n

killemall4130
Nov 21, 2005, 07:22 PM
wtf, when the hel is apple going to start pushing for som desent games ie (battlefield 2 / quake 4 /need for speed-most wanted) or something to that standard, ok i know they got doom 3 but how long did that take? and i know its not apple that make the games, but i dont see why us mac users have to suffer not getting to play the top games as they come out (totally lame).

Q...when apple change there architecture next year to the microsoft maninfacture, is that going effect games and applications that we can read?
ect (3d studio max for mac), and games like i listed above.

anyway anybody that can answer any of these Q's or has some feedback, please help. ide be very very greatful...thanks

stridey
Nov 21, 2005, 07:24 PM
wtf, when the hel is apple going to start pushing for som desent games ie (battlefield 2 / quake 4 /need for speed-most wanted) or something to that standard, ok i know they got doom 3 but how long did that take? and i know its not apple that make the games, but i dont see why us mac users have to suffer not getting to play the top games as they come out (totally lame).

Q...when apple change there architecture next year to the microsoft maninfacture, is that going effect games and applications that we can read?

anyway anybody that can answer any of these Q's or has some feedback, please help. ide be very very greatful...thanks

As you say, it's not up to Apple. It's up to the game manufacturers, and they often don't do it because a port simply isn't worth it for 5% of the market.

I'm not sure how the architecture change will affect ports, but I'm sure it won't be any worse than it is now.

killemall4130
Nov 21, 2005, 07:36 PM
As you say, it's not up to Apple. It's up to the game manufacturers, and they often don't do it because a port simply isn't worth it for 5% of the market.

I'm not sure how the architecture change will affect ports, but I'm sure it won't be any worse than it is now.

brain??? whats that. so what your saying is that 5% of cpu users are mac users? leaving the 95% as windows...????? this is kinda hard to beleve. not that i know but...nah its cool, ur answer is what i allready was guessin it to be...(but not to that extreme) but ahhh i still dont think its good enuff. (on apples behaft)
im going to have to change back to windows...this is not cool

(and yes im a very bad speller)

stridey
Nov 21, 2005, 07:41 PM
brain??? whats that. so what your saying is that 5% of cpu users are mac users? leaving the 95% as windows...????? this is kinda hard to beleve. not that i know but...nah its cool, ur answer is what i allready was guessin it to be...(but not to that extreme) but ahhh i still dont think its good enuff. (on apples behaft)
im going to have to change back to windows...this is not cool

(and yes im a very bad speller)

Well, technically I was exaggerating. According to this (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/10/20051011140736.shtml) recent MR article, it's gone up to 6.6%.

killemall4130
Nov 21, 2005, 07:42 PM
Well, technically I was exaggerating. According to this (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/10/20051011140736.shtml) recent MR article, it's gone up to 6.6%.

lol, thanks for the feedback:D

PlaceofDis
Nov 21, 2005, 07:43 PM

by the way, its not MS manufacture, its their platform so to speak, they could make Windows for the PPC architechture if they so wanted to, they just don't need to. Windows has an installed user base of around 87% or so, and then OS X has an installed user base of around 9% leaving the rest to Linux and other such OSes....marketshare is calculated differently, but Windows does have a 95% marketshare....

anyways, yeah, due to such a lower installed base and even lower marketshare, developing games for OS X really isnt a high priority for gaming companies, they are looking for the biggest profit afterall, and Macs arent the way to go.

changing over to Intel won't help this either, unless you can/will dual boot into Windows from your Mac.

bousozoku
Nov 21, 2005, 07:54 PM
The switch to another architecture will have no real effect on the speed or number of ports to Mac OS X. The processor and other hardware have so little to do with it. It's the software architecture that's the difficulty and that won't be changing. Ports will take just as long as they did.

Certainly, it was odd to me that Doom 3 was handled differently than Quake 3...as a port. I expect that the lead time for Quake 4 should be much shorter since the Doom 3 engine is already done but it will be a while.

The best thing about using Intel processors will be that faster processors will be able to speed through the slop more quickly. Well-written code should fly.

killemall4130
Nov 21, 2005, 07:55 PM
by the way, its not MS manufacture, its their platform so to speak, they could make Windows for the PPC architechture if they so wanted to, they just don't need to. Windows has an installed user base of around 87% or so, and then OS X has an installed user base of around 9% leaving the rest to Linux and other such OSes....marketshare is calculated differently, but Windows does have a 95% marketshare....

anyways, yeah, due to such a lower installed base and even lower marketshare, developing games for OS X really isnt a high priority for gaming companies, they are looking for the biggest profit afterall, and Macs arent the way to go.

changing over to Intel won't help this either, unless you can/will dual boot into Windows from your Mac.

thanks for the feedback.so this will never happen, (windows it is i guess).
ive been a mac user for at least 5 years now, and i am let down by the fact i have to go a buy a god dam new pc. ive been waiting on 3d studio max for the mac for a long time, and what do they through out cimema 4d (rubbish).
do know look at most of the games that are for the mac... totally completely rubbish).

im no expert (very far form it) but surly if they wud become more compatable with popular software and games and so on, that wud help apple to increase sales and what have you.