PDA

View Full Version : 'Plants vs. Zombies 2' Nears 25 Million Downloads, PopCap Teases 'Crop Circle' Video

MacRumors
Aug 30, 2013, 06:00 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/30/plants-vs-zombies-2-nears-25-million-downloads-popcap-teases-crop-circle-video/)

EA today announced that Plants vs. Zombies 2 (http://www.popcap.com/agegate.php?dst=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.popcap.com%2Fplants-vs-zombies-2), the sequel to its popular lane defense game Plants vs. Zombies (http://appshopper.com/games/plants-vs-zombies), has been downloaded nearly 25 million times since being released on August 15.

To accompany the announcement, EA has released a new infographic (http://www.ea.com/news/plants-vs-zombies-2-sprouts-big-numbers) that shares some fun information about the game, including the fact that Plants vs. Zombies 2 downloads have already exceeded the total lifetime downloads for Plants vs. Zombies.

While the first expansion for the Plants vs. Zombies 2, "Far Future," has already been announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/20/plants-vs-zombies-2-downloaded-16-million-times-worldwide-new-content-coming/), our sister site TouchArcade (http://toucharcade.com/2013/08/30/popcap-teases-plants-vs-zombies-2-crop-circles-video/) has a new video that hints at another upcoming update involving aliens.

uNkovf166zMPopCap blasted us a mysterious pseudo-trailer for what we're thinking might be the first clue for the next Plants vs. Zombies 2 update. It's little more than a zombie standing in a field, the camera pans out... And it's a huge crop circle corn maze sort of thing.Plants vs. Zombies 2 (http://appshopper.com/games/plants-vs-zombies-2) is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plants-vs.-zombies-2/id597986893?mt=8)]

Article Link: 'Plants vs. Zombies 2' Nears 25 Million Downloads, PopCap Teases 'Crop Circle' Video (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/30/plants-vs-zombies-2-nears-25-million-downloads-popcap-teases-crop-circle-video/)

HardRain
Aug 30, 2013, 06:04 PM
One of the most disappointing games of the year. IAP makes this game about as fun as an arsenic laced lollipop.

cclloyd
Aug 30, 2013, 06:22 PM
I'm proud to say I played through the game without BUYING a single iAP. Doesn't mean I didn't USE iAPs. *hehehehehe*

Brittany246
Aug 30, 2013, 06:37 PM
One of the most disappointing games of the year. IAP makes this game about as fun as an arsenic laced lollipop.

People are still complaining about IAP? Did you even play through the game?

Jessica Lares
Aug 30, 2013, 06:58 PM
I haven't used IAP either, the keys you get in some levels do the unlocking for me. You only need 4-6 of them too.

mrsir2009
Aug 30, 2013, 07:20 PM
Not surprising, considering it's free.

HiRez
Aug 30, 2013, 07:38 PM
Alien zombies, obviously.

----------

I normally loathe IAP games, but PvZ2 is actually one of the more enjoyable and user-friendly IAP based games I've seen. My wife has played through most of it and hasn't had to spend a dime yet. Yes, she sometimes goes back to earn some coins for special powers, but since there's lots of challenges that you can earn stars/keys anyway, that's not a problem. PvZ2 has a very friendly IAP.

seamer
Aug 30, 2013, 07:43 PM
The little missions are fun, and sometimes frustratingly hard unless you spend the game currency. Which I try to avoid.

But at least the initial price is 'free'. I hate buying an app to find out there's IAP available for 'bonus' features as well.

chainprayer
Aug 30, 2013, 08:01 PM

100% enjoyable without using IAP. Those items just get you to the end faster, and why do that? Very fun and addicting game. The new plants make up for the few original plants you have to buy to get.

Just ignore the IAPs and you're golden.

borneo76
Aug 30, 2013, 08:14 PM
People just neet to stop complaining and start playing the game, never use IAP so far and im fine,.....even i complete most of the level :)

rb0435
Aug 30, 2013, 09:06 PM
EZ to complete without IAP. People whining about IAP for PvZ 2 obviously haven't even played the game.

Teste
Aug 30, 2013, 09:55 PM
I have played it, and I have most of the stars, without using any of the IAP. Everything we could buy feel like cheating (other than the keys); even the powers available through in-game currency feel like cheating.

I think the original game was better, but I would still like to pay something for this game. But I'm not going to buy any of the microtransaction things, due to being against that kind of system, even if it's not intrusive. I wish PopCap had allowed us to pay for the game without using the microtransaction system; that would allow us to support them without telling EA more people are falling for the IAP system.

Solomani
Aug 30, 2013, 10:03 PM
Crop Circle teaser?!

The new IAP: Aliens vs Zombies vs Plants vs Ninjas

Did I forget something? Pirates?

cclloyd
Aug 31, 2013, 12:54 AM
Crop Circle teaser?!

The new IAP: Aliens vs Zombies vs Plants vs Ninjas

Did I forget something? Pirates?

Nah there are already pirates.

But that could mean that it's

Aliens vs Zombies vs Plants vs Ninjas vs Mummies vs Cowboys vs Pirates.

haruhiko
Aug 31, 2013, 01:38 AM

With a little bit of knowledge it is not difficult to obtain a looooot of the in game currencies all without jailbreaking :D

So instead of getting a bigger upfront payment from me they now basically receive nothing.

----------

I have played it, and I have most of the stars, without using any of the IAP. Everything we could buy feel like cheating (other than the keys); even the powers available through in-game currency feel like cheating.

I think the original game was better, but I would still like to pay something for this game. But I'm not going to buy any of the microtransaction things, due to being against that kind of system, even if it's not intrusive. I wish PopCap had allowed us to pay for the game without using the microtransaction system; that would allow us to support them without telling EA more people are falling for the IAP system.
It's not PopCap anymore, it's EA!:(

anupviews
Aug 31, 2013, 04:36 AM
That's a really good numbers.

Kissaragi
Aug 31, 2013, 07:44 AM
Its a great sequel. You don't have to spend a penny on IAP if you don't want to.

otismotive77
Aug 31, 2013, 09:01 AM
it totally deserved this success, really great game. would love to see plants vs zombies 3:D.

roadbloc
Aug 31, 2013, 09:03 AM
Yet to even try it. The freemium model is something I really do not want to support.

PsykX
Aug 31, 2013, 09:29 AM
So far, I've played for 6 hours and this game has cost me absolutely nothing and I've had plenty of fun. Why do people complain at this point is beyond me.

iapplelove
Aug 31, 2013, 09:48 AM
i played a few hours last night had a ton of fun kept me occupied while i was shopping with my gf. who cares about in-app-purchases really u don't need them to have fun,plus it's free lol.

koban4max
Aug 31, 2013, 09:57 AM
I'm proud to say I played through the game without BUYING a single iAP. Doesn't mean I didn't USE iAPs. *hehehehehe*

so..u used jb to get inapp hack?

heutusops
Aug 31, 2013, 10:19 AM
25 million downloads? for that game? there are literally tonnes of games better than that. i seriously dont wanna live on this planet anymore...

NiCk-
Aug 31, 2013, 11:00 AM
This is the best game on iPhone and is completely free .. Yes, some things are locked but none of them are mandatory to progress or to complete the game .. I have finished the first two worlds and got all of the stars without paying a single cent ..

Also, I feel that Popcap is way too generous with the amount of coins that are given in the game .. For example, I have over 100k in-game coins at the moment because I have never used the "gesture powers" which feel like cheating in my opinion ..

So, I don't actually understand why people complain about this F2P model .. I just hope that they 'll continue in the same way and not demand from us to pay real money to unlock new worlds in the future ..

25 million downloads? for that game? there are literally tonnes of games better than that. i seriously dont wanna live on this planet anymore…

Are there ?? Free ?? Please name a few because I would like to play them .. (no sarcasm)

Kissaragi
Aug 31, 2013, 11:19 AM
25 million downloads? for that game? there are literally tonnes of games better than that. i seriously dont wanna live on this planet anymore...

I hear mars is nice this time of year, have a good trip.

HiRez
Aug 31, 2013, 12:11 PM

"literally tonnes"? :rolleyes: *sigh*

Kissaragi
Aug 31, 2013, 12:24 PM
"literally tonnes"? :rolleyes: *sigh*

I wonder how you would go about weighing games.....

Chupa Chupa
Aug 31, 2013, 02:00 PM

But the vast majority of IAP features are "cheats". They are not needed to win provided you have a "strategery." This in contrast to, say, some of the NFL licensed football games where you literally have to buy decent formations, which makes those games worthless.

So I'm not sure where you are coming from on PvZ2. I detest "fremium" games as much as the next but PvZ2 is a pleasant surprise in playability w/o spending a dime.

tsadi
Aug 31, 2013, 04:39 PM
Me and my kids finished this game already. Now we're just replaying the levels while also collecting stars, and we haven't spent even a dime in the game so far.

Compare that to the original PvZ where we purchased it twice ($2.99 for the iPhone and $9.99 for iPad version - IIRC).

All we can say is - thank you EA for the free entertainment.

Gigaman
Aug 31, 2013, 06:07 PM
I didn't buy a damn thing in the game so far... BUT!

This game is a chore. The gameplay is fun, it's classic PvZ and they've added plants, enemies and the cheap (as in, almost a cheat) coin system. The back tracking after each time period/location, along with earning stars individually in battles kills the game. If you want to have fun with this game, you may not pay a penny, but you'll pay with time (like with most freemiums) and time is money. I guess this game IS about time (just had to).

jeansbearst
Aug 31, 2013, 06:55 PM
Managed to get through quite a few levels without any problem. Bummer, can't play on original ipad and macbook. Anyone know when the game will be available for macbook?

mprofit
Aug 31, 2013, 07:05 PM
Wish I could play it on my iPad 1. THAT'S disappointing.

HiRez
Aug 31, 2013, 07:19 PM
Managed to get through quite a few levels without any problem. Bummer, can't play on original ipad and macbook. Anyone know when the game will be available for macbook?

What's annoying and weird is the reason it gives that you can't play it on an iPad 1 is because it doesn't have a front facing camera. What?

Virinprew
Aug 31, 2013, 10:13 PM

But I think it is fun and not that hard.

heutusops
Sep 1, 2013, 08:03 AM
I hear mars is nice this time of year, have a good trip.

i changed my mind, i'm kicking others out of this planet:rolleyes:

nawoo
Sep 1, 2013, 09:52 AM
Only noobs complain about IAP

koban4max
Sep 1, 2013, 11:59 AM
Wish I could play it on my iPad 1. THAT'S disappointing.

you're outdated...get a new ipad.

iDuel
Sep 2, 2013, 11:27 AM
What's annoying and weird is the reason it gives that you can't play it on an iPad 1 is because it doesn't have a front facing camera. What?

I think it's because when you first start the game, it asks you to take a picture of yourself for your saved game profile.

HiRez
Sep 2, 2013, 06:54 PM
I think it's because when you first start the game, it asks you to take a picture of yourself for your saved game profile.
Right, but you don't have to (I didn't). So why is a camera required to run the game? It doesn't make sense.

If I had to guess, I would say the front-facing camera is just an aspect of a certain hardware level requirement, where a front-facing camera demarcates that level. So in reality their requirement is "A5 processor with 512 MB of RAM" or whatever, but devices with front-facing cameras just all happen to share those traits. But I dunno.

iDuel
Sep 2, 2013, 07:41 PM
Right, but you don't have to (I didn't). So why is a camera required to run the game? It doesn't make sense.

If I had to guess, I would say the front-facing camera is just an aspect of a certain hardware level requirement, where a front-facing camera demarcates that level. So in reality their requirement is "A5 processor with 512 MB of RAM" or whatever, but devices with front-facing cameras just all happen to share those traits. But I dunno.

Your theory may be right. Shame they would do that to iPad 1 owners though.

attila
Sep 3, 2013, 07:49 AM
I thought the game got really boring because of the game balancing due to the IAP system.

Yes, you can finish the game without IAP, but the game is too frustrating and the plants that are good not only cost real money, but cost too much money!

I stopped playing it.

Zimmy68
Sep 5, 2013, 09:58 AM
I just finished the game (still need to get all stars on the last 2 worlds) without spending a dime.
I also have over 50K in coins earned and barely used the power up cheats.

I really have no problem with some form of IAP but their prices are crazy.

Extra plants should be $1, not $5 especially when you don't need them.
Also, if you are going to charge $5 - $10 for a bundle, make it worth it.

And finally, give me the option to use earned money to but plants, at least some of them.

I probably would have sunk $10 into the game by now.