Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hello12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Especially on videos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,032

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, it, along with a few other similar elements, should be more transparent.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I've never understood why it has to be smack in the middle of the screen on videos at all. With all the pencil thin lines they've added everywhere else, the volume indication could use a diet.

This is another good example of iOS7's inconsistency. Things that didn't need a complete overhaul (e.g. the progress bar in Safari, the silly signal donuts...) got overhauled, for the sake of it, while things that beg a little more thoughtfulness slipped right by.

Last edited:

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
I've never understood why it has to be smack in the middle of the screen on videos at all. With all the pencil thin lines they've added everywhere else, the volume indication could use a diet.

too big of a change, need to wait for iOS 8 :p

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I totally agree with the first three comments here.

The new YouTube app has one bar on the bottom when playing a video, it is very light and completely transparent...Apple needs to do this in several areas, especially anything that pops up in the middle like the volume, and also the dock.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Going off the first posts: That box should not exist. The word 'volume' is entirely redundant, and--if antiskeuomorphism really is the future--then the fake speaker is as well

Update: I stand (repeatedly) corrected, and gratefully rescind my misuse of the s-word.

Last edited:

Virginaustralia

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
uh, no, in iOS 6 the volume is much more transparent, you can actually see what's behind it, not a blur of the average color behind it.

Uh, thats iOS7 and its supposed to be a blur of the average colour behind it as they said in the keynote

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Actually, I like the new blurry volume pop up. Could be somewhere not in the center though, that's right.
Still it looks horrible with iPhone 4 and since beta 5 also iPad 2 and 3... Just plain grey with some 1% transparency or so. Not blurred.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Wow... I didn't know the volume notification looked like this, that is very poor design. It obstructs a lot of the video on the screen. Yes.. it does fit the overall design aesthetic but it still looks poor.

hektor5wolf

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
Going off the first posts: That box should not exist. The word 'volume' is entirely redundant, and--if antiskeuomorphism really is the future--then the fake speaker is as well

The speaker is just an icon, so it should not be considered as skeuomorphism! I do think that if they are going to keep an icon they should remove text or vice-versa :)

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England

The word "Volume" changes depending on whether you're adjusting media volume, ringer volume or headphone volume.

Skeuomorphism is the aping real world objects in a digital interface. Displaying a speaker icon is not a skeuomorph.

mainer4101

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
I've grown accustom to just tapping the screen and adjusting the volume that way. It would be nice to have a much, much subtler volume bar though, not just for videos, but if you're browsing the web or an App and just want to turn your ringer down. I guess we can hold our hope for GM?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It doesn't need to be there at all, not like that. It never should have been but I'm used to it. I think a nice little volume graphic on the top or bottom would have sufficed.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Apple is still courting first time smart phone buyers. They must feel that making this control smaller and moving it out of the way would make it too hidden. Maybe it gets a makeover in a couple of years.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
This is another good example of iOS7's inconsistency. Things that didn't need a complete overhaul (e.g. the progress bar in Safari, the silly signal donuts...) got overhauled, for the sake of it, while things that beg a little more thoughtfulness slipped right by.
It's not like Apple is done with the redesign. They're gonna ship 7 with some inconstancies, but they're gonna be fixed in later incremental updates. I don't think anyone would prefer waiting another half year for 7 just because of a few inconstancies

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
The word "Volume" changes depending on whether you're adjusting media volume, ringer volume or headphone volume.

Skeuomorphism is the aping real world objects in a digital interface. Displaying a speaker icon is not a skeuomorph.

Ok. I thought it involved a broader kind of mimicry

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Instead of square dots on the volume bar they should be circle, like the signal dots. Can someone make a mockup?

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
little nit picky no?

well thought out design with good fit-and-finish were previously one of apple's selling points. if the new mentality is "its just a button, who cares" then apple has lost a lot of what made their products a delight to use (at least for people like me).

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
if antiskeuomorphism really is the future--then the fake speaker is as well

That isn't skeumorphism. The sound from your phone still comes from a speaker. You are literally changing the volume on a speaker. The icon is directly relevant to the action you are performing. What other icon would you use for sound level?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.