PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if my trackpad is screwy.

California
Nov 21, 2005, 09:51 PM
This is my third iBook 14" machine that I've owned in four months. This is the newest -- 1.42ghz machine.

The first one I had was a new 1.33 14". The trackpad was wonderful on it. No problems and I use it alot when I work -- no external mouse or keyboard here, my hand-to-keyboard system is down.

WHen I got the pristine 1.2 machine, I noticed right away a hollow sound and a more difficult time pressing down on the clickpad -- much different mechanics than the 1.33.

So I took it in to the Mac Tech who agreed with me and we put a new Applecare'd topcase on it which allowed me to throw a new hd and superdrive in it while the book was open.

So now on my 1.42, the clickpad works but I've noticed that sometimes I press and press and press and it won't open a file or, for specific example, my firewired hard drive that contained all former files from previous computer. (Sold both the 1.2 and 1.33 machines last week, also sold my beloved 1ghz Ti so I feel I'm in the mac business lately). I literally have to go to the menu to "open file" to get some things to open.

Is this another clickpad/trackpad problem? Part of me hopes it is so that I can dump a faster hd into this machine while Apple isn't looking. (I wouldn't call them on a failed drive in that case, of course, because my hard drive ALREADY has a 3 year warranty.) Anyway, anyone else have this screwy trackpad problem? I guess if it keeps happening, I've answered my own question but want to know if it might have to do with the scrolling trackpad feature on these machines or something?

mad jew
Nov 21, 2005, 11:24 PM
So you can single click but not double click? Or is clicking generally a bit screwy? If it's the former, then check in the System Preferences, under Keyboard & Mouse to see that your Double Click Speed isn't set too fast. :)

California
Nov 21, 2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks MJ, just did that. The trackpad feels... spongey. Imprecise. Unwieldy.

Or is it just me? If I can't figure it out by Wednesday, it's going into the shop.

mad jew
Nov 22, 2005, 12:03 AM
Hmm... Well you might have some air under the trackpad. It's a surprisingly common problem. There are two options. One involves a hammer and should not be attempted at home. The other involves a technician and a warranty. Does it look like there's a bubble underneath it? If so, then you'll definitely be wanting to see the Mac shop. It's showing all the symptoms of a bubble but that doesn't prove anything. :)

Hope it's all working soon for you. :)

devilot
Nov 22, 2005, 12:30 AM
Hmm... Well you might have some air under the trackpad. Oh my gosh... for the longest time I've imagined that there is a slight discrepancy on/under (?) my trackpad and just told myself I was going nuts. Hmm, maybe I should ask a Genius about it. :o

mad jew
Nov 22, 2005, 12:32 AM
In the short term, gently tapping the trackpad with your fingernail may help a little. :)

devilot
Nov 22, 2005, 12:36 AM
In the short term, gently tapping the trackpad with your fingernail may help a little. :)I doubt it. ;) I've got long, manicured nails right now. :o

mad jew
Nov 22, 2005, 01:12 AM
All the better for tapping trackpads devilot.

Just don't hurt yourself...

...Or anyone standing nearby.