Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksharin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
Hi All, as many macbook air reviews as I have read before making a purchase I can't help but get the feeling that the fac that they have a Haswell processors, but I do not understand the big deal about it. Can someone explain to a non techy what's so great or important about that?:confused:

Nov 28, 2010
located
It is a bit faster than last year's MBA processor wise, it has much better battery life and the integrated graphics processor (IGP) is much better than the one from 2012.

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
It's a very efficient processor, which resulted in more battery life and some better power. Which is pretty much what he said...

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
It is a bit faster than last year's MBA processor wise, it has much better battery life and the integrated graphics processor (IGP) is much better than the one from 2012.

You're right about the battery life and faster iGPU, but the CPU is hardly any faster for the vast majority of apps. For a few optimized apps/benchmarks it looks faster, but 2013 1.3ghz i5 is the basically the same as last years 1.8 i5 base model and in some cases is even slower.

Nov 28, 2010
located
You're right about the battery life and faster iGPU, but the CPU is hardly any faster for the vast majority of apps. For a few optimized apps/benchmarks it looks faster, but 2013 1.3ghz i5 is the basically the same as last years 1.8 i5 base model and in some cases is even slower.

That is why I wrote "a bit".

yosemit

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Besides battery life, with Haswell the new Airs generate much less heat and fan noise. It is super quiet.

Hi All, as many macbook air reviews as I have read before making a purchase I can't help but get the feeling that the fac that they have a Haswell processors, but I do not understand the big deal about it. Can someone explain to a non techy what's so great or important about that?:confused:

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I'm interested in the real world battery life. A fact that's hard to discover since most people who buy one will naturally make rather exaggerated claims. There's so many variables when it comes to battery life, we are all unique in our usage. Short of just jumping in and spending thousands to find out, it's a crapshoot.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm interested in the real world battery life. A fact that's hard to discover since most people who buy one will naturally make rather exaggerated claims. There's so many variables when it comes to battery life, we are all unique in our usage. Short of just jumping in and spending thousands to find out, it's a crapshoot.

You are correct... these are based on usage. If you want the most accurate personal estimate (tailored to you)... you will get almost double what you get on your existing MBA. More than double if your previous MBA is older than 2012. Close enough.

If you do not already have an MBA... you are screwed. Yep... it's a crapshoot... and it will still be a crapshoot next year when you are still not buying one because you do not know exactly how long it will work for you.

/Jim

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
All the fuss is.....

about power management/consuption, better integrated graphics and modest speed bump....Not to take lightly when combined and working properly.....:D

:):apple:

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
You are correct... these are based on usage. If you want the most accurate personal estimate (tailored to you)... you will get almost double what you get on your existing MBA. More than double if your previous MBA is older than 2012. Close enough.

If you do not already have an MBA... you are screwed. Yep... it's a crapshoot... and it will still be a crapshoot next year when you are still not buying one because you do not know exactly how long it will work for you.

/Jim

Double? You're dreaming.

I know, I've upgraded nearly every time a new chip is released & implemented in a new MBP. They never live up to the marketing hype. It's just a fact of life and not a knock on Apple or Intel. They've got a job to do and Apple is the master at marketing. They can sell anything, how do you think they generate the billions they do, by convincing people they've got to have it at all costs.

When one keeps it in perspective it's no surprise, nor is it disappointing.
It's just a fact of life, and it's only a computer.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Battery life has been substantially improved (about 40-60% increase). CPU power is slightly less while GPU performance has slightly increased (about 10-20% on average).

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Battery ...that's a biggie for me! Also, AC WiFi [ when I can use it ] is an added benefit, albeit not huge.

PCi-Express based SSDs with quicker read/write speeds. Trivial for some, may be a big deal for others.

Basically, it's not a substantial-across-the-board upgrade from Ivy, but an upgrade nonetheless.

I wish they had updated the screen resolution!

Either way, I absolutely love the MBA [ and it's my first one ] :apple:

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
Haswell (great battery life) + Mavericks (when released, with all its improvements to power consumption) = excellent, excellent battery life.

Not to say that Mavericks won't help battery life on non-Haswell MacBooks. It's just the latest processor available, as some on here are saying.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
It really reflects the fact that processor power has outstripped our need for it. Most modern programs can run on earlier generation processors just fine.

Just look at the popularity of the iPad - it as rapidly displaced PC sale but is only based on a mobile phone processor.

Instead of focusing on speed increase, for highly mobile users of compact ultrabooks, Intel and Apple decided to focus on battery longevity - something that really matters to mobile users.

The result is pretty dramatic increases in battery life and reduced heat. If I baby my 11" (back out of applications I don't use, turn down the screen to 50% brightness and avoid using Chrome), I can easily get 11 hours. However, because Haswell will scale to demand, if I turn up the screen and run chrome with a bunch of tabs running, battery life will fall quite a bit.

If you ar a road warrior, its a significant upgrade. If your computer rarely leaves your desk, then Haswell won't mean much.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
It really reflects the fact that processor power has outstripped our need for it. Most modern programs can run on earlier generation processors just fine.

Just look at the popularity of the iPad - it as rapidly displaced PC sale but is only based on a mobile phone processor.

Instead of focusing on speed increase, for highly mobile users of compact ultrabooks, Intel and Apple decided to focus on battery longevity - something that really matters to mobile users.

The result is pretty dramatic increases in battery life and reduced heat. If I baby my 11" (back out of applications I don't use, turn down the screen to 50% brightness and avoid using Chrome), I can easily get 11 hours. However, because Haswell will scale to demand, if I turn up the screen and run chrome with a bunch of tabs running, battery life will fall quite a bit.

If you ar a road warrior, its a significant upgrade. If your computer rarely leaves your desk, then Haswell won't mean much.

good post.

Honestly, even if the Air had 3.0ghz quadcore clock speed - what difference are you going to notice? The Air is targeted at people that primarily mean to use it for light usage - office, browser, flash, mild games occasionally...

Sure, even with just 1.3ghz/4gb ram - which is apple's default for the air, it can run photoshop, logic pro, edit videos, and play mid-level intensive games with the new HD5000.

There's a reason Apple doesn't put 8GB in the Air in stores. Mavericks will run more than perfectly fine with 4GB.

People talk about opening 20 tabs on chrome. People, if you have 20tabs open you may have some type of ADD problem. It's not realistic at all.

Like what, you're watching 10 youtube videos simultaneously?

And additionally, when I'm done using an app I 'quit' the app. I have 8GB which means plenty, but I exit apps anyways. Call it an old habit. There's just something irritating about having 10 programs running simultaneously. Hopefully using OS X long enough can ease it out for me.

But any windows power user will know that if it means ctrl-alt-del'ing to force quit a program, it will be done... cause well, god knows where the latest malware is hiding:p

Point is, having such a battery power boost is surely the best and most noticeable thing they could have done at this point.

And even if you're plugged in, it's better overall because the Airs draw less power over all. Since we're entering a power-chrisis soon enough as a species, this direction is a good one to head to.
I bet some of you guys don't even know that in certain areas of the world, there are forced blackouts daily over an entire city span. Not here, but I know people who face those situations.

Soon enough we'll all face similar problems. 'Going green' isn't just a marketing gimmick you know. Well, who am I kidding, of course it is. Nobody cares that the macbook is recyclable material. Hell, I can't even fathom the idea that one day, eventually my now 1 and half month old air is going to be melted.:mad:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
There's a reason Apple doesn't put 8GB in the Air in stores. Mavericks will run more than perfectly fine with 4GB.

I actually use between 4.5 - 5 gb of ram on average, resulting in occasional paging from time to time. I do wish for 8gb ram sometimes, but am too cheapskate to pay for the upgrade. :p

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Well, Haswell pwned both Nehalem and Sandy Bridge of the previous generation. It is designed with mobile as the focus.

Haswell is the Tock phase of Intel's Tick-Tock roadmap. It is the new microarchitecture. The tick is the shrinking of that microarchitecture with Broadwell. Skylake will come out with a new microarchitecture.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Double? You're dreaming.

I know, I've upgraded nearly every time a new chip is released & implemented in a new MBP. They never live up to the marketing hype. It's just a fact of life and not a knock on Apple or Intel. They've got a job to do and Apple is the master at marketing. They can sell anything, how do you think they generate the billions they do, by convincing people they've got to have it at all costs.

When one keeps it in perspective it's no surprise, nor is it disappointing.
It's just a fact of life, and it's only a computer.

I have both a 2012 i7/8GB/256GB MBA and a 2013 i7/8GB/512GB MBA. It is double in real life situations.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012

What does Chrome do that Safari doesn't that causes it to be more power-hungry?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.