Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
i have to say i am a lover of the iphone and apple my home is all apple and in my office i use an imac. but i am board with the iphone for now i have been using io7 since it was released. i am sure many people are in the same boat as me undecided with iphone and android. i have had many android phones and i end up back to the iphone because i spend to much time playing with the droids. i had the s4 it was a bit to big for me i love a 4.3 to 4.5 size. i have only one issue is that me and my wife share a social calendar via icloud and havent figured what to do with the calender issue. now there are so many nice androids out there and i just dont know which one to get if i was to go to android, Btw i am in Verizion. I just hate this dilemma.

Enco

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2010
Yea it's been troubelling me lately too. I'm getting either the next iPhone or Nexus.

I've got it down to this:

Nexus 4 (2013)
- A bigger screen
- Something new
- Google Now

iPhone 5S
- Stability of OS
- iMessage
- iCloud
- Camera/build quality (might be diff with Nexus 5)
- Exclusive apps I use daily (alien blue, tweetbot, clear and prismatic)

Is a bigger screen worth losing out on the above? Not sure about how much difference it will make....

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
i have only one issue is that me and my wife share a social calendar via icloud and havent figured what to do with the calender issue. now there are so many nice androids out there and i just dont know which one to get if i was to go to android, Btw i am in Verizion. I just hate this dilemma.

Simple. Use Google Calendar. It lets you share your calendar with specific users between different devices. You both need to have a Google account and then you'll have the ability to edit each others calendar events.

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
The decision was made easier for me due to iOS 7. Yes many love it but I personally dont like many elements after I have used the beta's (6). I own a 4S currently so I could definitely understand people with 5's feeling differently.

1. iOS7 feels too skinny, too much white space in order to give it a simple illusion but unfortunately it makes it less elegant in my opinion and definitely less easy to operate.
2. Music app is rubbish now (was so simple to operate before)
3. Phone app poorly designed - You will get lost within it, believe me - things which were suppose to be easy as saving a contact/editing a contact now requires Problem Solving mechanics. The delete key moved up, making it very difficult to operate with one hand!
4. Unnecessary animations all across the OS
5. Multi-tasking still felt primitive
6. Overall design, starting with the childish icons (firstly, are larger :S) which is completely unexpected from a perfectionist company like Apple (this is just my opinion so please ignore it if you feel otherwise). The colors and gradients on these icons just dont make sense - if there is anyone here who went to design/art school, as I, would easily realize it. Blurred dock which is called Translucent but to me just seems blurred out to the point of no recognition - the dock makes any wallpaper look horrid, except single color images such as full white/black/grey.

Finally,
Though I love the iPhone's form factor - feels perfect in the hand and not to mention the beautiful/classy shape of the device, I desperately needed a larger screen for myself.

So thats my rant, and you know what, for 200$'s my nexus 4 should serve me well (which I should receive this Tuesday) till a fully integrated/furnished iOS8 on a larger display iPhone6 arrives end of 2014.

Last edited:

AzureCloud

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
I believe that by this point, which platform you use is largely down to personal preference. Both Android and iOS are quite capable when used proficiently, and each has its own advantages and disadvantages that may lead you to prefer one over the other. That being said, if I were on Verizon as you are, I'd be loath to buy anything other than an iPhone. Verizon is fairly notorious for dragging their feet on Android OS updates on their devices, as well as the amount of bloatware they preload. The unlocked device scene is mostly non-existent on CDMA networks, so it is very tough to sidestep Verizon on Android without getting into rooting/custom ROMs.

It sounds like you keep coming back to iOS, so maybe Android isn't the platform that appeals to you the most. If you are going to switch, you probably want a stronger reason than just something new, as it won't be long before Android starts getting old to you as well.

AzureCloud

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
The decision was made easier for me due to iOS 7. Yes many love it but I personally dont like many elements after I have used the beta's (6). I own a 4S currently so I could definitely understand people with 5's feeling differently.

1. iOS7 feels too skinny, too much white space in order to give it a simple illusion but unfortunately it makes it less elegant in my opinion and definitely less easy to operate.
2. Music app is rubbish now (was so simple to operate before)
3. Phone app poorly designed - You will get lost within it, believe me - things which were suppose to be easy as saving a contact/editing a contact now requires Problem Solving mechanics. The delete key moved up, making it very difficult to operate with one hand!
4. Unnecessary animations all across the OS
5. Multi-tasking still felt primitive
6. Overall design, starting with the childish icons (firstly, are larger :S) which is completely unexpected from a perfectionist company like Apple (this is just my opinion so please ignore it if you feel otherwise). The colors and gradients on these icons just dont make sense - if there is anyone here who went to design/art school, as I, would easily realize it. Blurred dock which is called Translucent but to me just seems blurred out to the point of no recognition - the dock makes any wallpaper look horrid, except single color images such as full white/black/grey.

Finally,
Though I love the iPhone's form factor - feels perfect in the hand and not to mention the beautiful/classy shape of the device, I desperately needed a larger screen for myself.

So thats my rant, and you know what, for 200$'s my nexus 4 should serve me well (which I should receive this Tuesday) till a fully integrated/furnished iOS8 on a larger display iPhone6 arrives end of 2014.

I'm not sure which animations you are referring to as unnecessary, but I find that iOS' animations are one of the things that makes using it more enjoyable than Android. It adds to the "liveliness" of the UI. I have heard many complain that the animations take too long, though.

Multitasking probably does feel about the same as in iOS 6, as most apps haven't been updated yet to take advantage of the new multitasking APIs like background refresh. I could be wrong, but I believe that Apple doesn't even allow apps or updates built on the new Xcode version to be uploaded to the App Store at all yet.

A larger screened iPhone is something I think Apple should do sooner rather than later, and is a big reason for many to use any device other than an iPhone.

Also, let me know how that Nexus 4 is; I've been thinking about getting one!

Last edited:

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
I was just playing with the moto x wow nice feel and the voice commands are so smooth I think that's going to be next phone

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
I'm not sure which animations you are referring to as unnecessary, but I find that iOS' animations are one of the things that makes using it more enjoyable than Android. It adds to the "liveliness" of the UI. I have heard many complain that the animations take too long, though.

Multitasking probably does feel about the same as in iOS 6, as most apps haven't been updated yet to take advantage of the new multitasking APIs like background refresh. I could be wrong, but I believe that Apple doesn't even allow apps or updates built on the new Xcode version to be uploaded to the App Store at all yet.

A larger screened iPhone is something I think Apple should do sooner rather than later, and is a big reason for many to use any device other than an iPhone.

Also, let me know how that Nexus 4 is; I've been thinking about getting one!

Yah, animations take too long (it makes the device feel slow on the 4s) - I do not like the opening and closing animation which start from where the apps are at - I feel that was unnecessary and the system takes performance hits. Also the parallax effect, it does not seem effective more gimmicky at best.

Will let you know what my opinions are on the Nexus and if I return it back within the 15 days, hehehe. Been playing around with MIUI rom with wife's phone and I am enjoying all the customizations I can do while keeping the overall lighter look (instead of the techy, tron-like stock android) of the iOS.

In other news children are being gased to death.

And you are lurking in macrumors forums while dreaming of conquering england ! so classy.

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
i just played with the moto X great phone but will memory be an issue VZ only has 16gb version what are u all doing about music and photos for this issue. with my iphone i love photo stream and because i have 64gb iphone all my ics and music are on my phone at all times. this could be an issue. but i love the voice comands much better then iPhone.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
i just played with the moto X great phone but will memory be an issue VZ only has 16gb version what are u all doing about music and photos for this issue. with my iphone i love photo stream and because i have 64gb iphone all my ics and music are on my phone at all times. this could be an issue. but i love the voice comands much better then iPhone.

If you have good reception and don't mind having media in the cloud then Google music could solve your music problem. As for pictures, I think Dropbox can upload directly. But if you prefer having all your media locally you may need to wait for a higher capacity Moto x (I believe it is coming to Verizon later this year) or get another phone like the one, s4,or iphone

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012

Keep in mind that 16GB is the phone's memory in total but you really only get around 12GB of actual storage. The rest is taken up by the phone's software. So is 12GB enough for you?

For photos, you can sync them to a computer and then delete them from your smartphone.

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Well I moved from a 4S after being a long term iPhone user to a Nexus 4 and don't really have any regrets, saving some money too.

Will I be with an Android phone forever? Probably not...I'll be back one day but for now it's a nice change. Here's a few pro's & cons I found

Pro's:
- Much cheaper phone!
- Google Music works very well, scans your iTunes library and uploads the lot for access anywhere :)
- Many of the 'new' tweaks they are making in versions of iOS already exist within Android, you can see where some ideas come from
- High levels of customisation if you want it
- Widgets very nice on the homescreen

Cons:
- No iMessage, many of my friends are on iPhones these days
- I just find some apps not as 'polished' as on iOS

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
for me it´s a matter of who you are as a User. I have been an "all-apple" guy for some years now, but I got my 4S last year on a sale over the 5 (about 90 USD for 32 GB plus case vs 300 for the 16 gb 5), and I love it.

However I bought a Nexus 7 last month to get me started on android (I love to be the "he knows every OS and can fix stuff" guy). I really liked the experience, but on the phone side of things (and tablet side, since I still use my iPad 2 more) I am gonna say iOS for me.

Android is awesome, mind you, but I already have heavily invested on apps, devices and time getting my life around iOS.

Android is far more advanced than iOS in its current state, its an OS that allures the casual user, but has the potential for those among the geekiest and techiest of us to modify and experiment, to customize and improve things if so we choose.

iOS, does not have this, but then again, I want something that just works out of the box, I dont want to thinked with my phone OS as much, all I want is to make phonecalls, have my agenda and media there. For me iOS does this, so why change?

Not saying you need to mess with android to get it right, just saying I wouldn´t use the OS´s whole potential (which is great), so why invest on a switch?

There may be a time though, that some feature set may lure me to google´s side, but that time is not here yet.

Had I to choose for the first time now (without having shelled out money on an ecosystem), Id probably go for a Galaxy or Nexus device.

APhillyApple

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Its all preference at this point. Truly remarkable these tech companies have become. Go with what works best for your needs, I myself prefer Apple I like the integration of all their products in my home and with iCloud. Thats just me though, I am sure others may like the same or something different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.