PDA

View Full Version : Amazing headphones

UBS28
Sep 1, 2013, 01:25 PM
After doing some research, it appears that the HD-800 is going to get very costly ($2000+) to make them sound great. For that kind of money, I'd rather buy a pair of speakers such as Adam S2X's.

I want a pair of headphones that:
- blow away the Shure SE535
- amazing soundstage
- amazing details in the bass, mid and highs
- not difficult to drive.
- very comfortable to wear.
- Excellent quality bass ( clean, tight and responsive bass )
- Can be open or closed, because on the go I'll be using the Shure SE535.

What headphones should I buy? :P

SimonUK5
Sep 2, 2013, 02:35 PM
Grado's. Super tight Bass. Super easy to drive.

Scepticalscribe
Sep 3, 2013, 02:04 PM
Personally, I'm a fan of the B&W P5s - superb, exceedingly comfortable, excellent build quality and an extremely good audio experience.

The B&W P3s are more stylish, (and fashionable) but, to my mind, the P5s are the better product.

JohnLT13
Sep 3, 2013, 05:01 PM
Personally, I'm a fan of the B&W P5s - superb, exceedingly comfortable, excellent build quality and an extremely good audio experience.

The B&W P3s are more stylish, (and fashionable) but, to my mind, the P5s are the better product.

My only complaint on the P5s is they get a bit steamy on the ears after some time wearing, but excellent headphones. I use the P3s nightly for a few hours and enjoy the comfort and fit, but they do give up a bit in sound to the P5s. Either way its a great choice.
Both are outstanding at their price range. They won't have the Bass response some people want these days but for my taste in music they are fantastic. Others may be as good or better but its a personal choice. Test as many as you can before buying. The Apple store has a great selection to listen to, that is how I came to purchased the P5s and P3s.

Scepticalscribe
Sep 3, 2013, 05:15 PM
My only complaint on the P5s is they get a bit steamy on the ears after some time wearing, but excellent headphones. I use the P3s nightly for a few hours and enjoy the comfort and fit, but they do give up a bit in sound to the P5s. Either way its a great choice.
Both are outstanding at their price range. They won't have the Bass response some people want these days but for my taste in music they are fantastic. Others may be as good or better but its a personal choice. Test as many as you can before buying. The Apple store has a great selection to listen to, that is how I came to purchased the P5s and P3s.

I've had both for the best part of two years, and while I love the P3s, I will state that the P5s are easily the best headphones I have ever owned.

As it happens, I travel a lot, and the P5s are sufficiently small to be very portable, and are exceptionally comfortable; I take your point about the 'steamy' aspect, but it is nothing that a quick wipe of the headphones - and consequent resting of ears for a few minutes - won't cure......

zipur
Sep 8, 2013, 02:25 PM
Surly there are more choices,and more comments. With the wide array of headsets and new versions coming out every year. In fact this should be its own, stand alone product topic where we can get more input. For example you have over the ear, on ear, ear buds, wireless ear buds, wireless over the ear, headset amps, eq'ing and voice quality. How about the new A2DP Cd quality blue tooth? All of these topics I would expect there to be a lot of input from other members. Where are they?

Scepticalscribe
Sep 8, 2013, 02:45 PM
Surly there are more choices,and more comments. With the wide array of headsets and new versions coming out every year. In fact this should be its own, stand alone product topic where we can get more input. For example you have over the ear, on ear, ear buds, wireless ear buds, wireless over the ear, headset amps, eq'ing and voice quality. How about the new A2DP Cd quality blue tooth? All of these topics I would expect there to be a lot of input from other members. Where are they?

Well, if you want an energetic response on this topic, the thread title needs to be adjusted to something utterly breathtakingly original along the lines of "Beats' are the Most Brilliant Ever and Your [sic] Morons If You Dont Agree", or else, a thread which offers the (wholly subjective if quite possibly unnervingly accurate) opinion that "Beats' Headphones Are Overpriced Junk, A Triumph Of Marketing Over Substance".

That would provoke a guaranteed - and robust - response, but, unfortunately, one which might run the risk of degenerating into vigorous exchanges of abuse as proponents of each perspective reiterated their strongly held views, impervious to anything observed or remarked upon by anyone else.

Genuine audiophiles might respond to this thread, or might feel the topic has been adequately covered elsewhere, as this is a subject which regularly features as a topic for discussion.

For myself, I have already mentioned my love of the B&W P5s. I have had them now for nearly two years and they are easily the best I have ever had.

Grado and Technica also make some excellent headphones, and Sennheiser is justly renowned for the quality - especially at the top end - of some of their products.

ChrisA
Sep 10, 2013, 11:32 AM
After doing some research, it appears that the HD-800 is going to get very costly ($2000+) to make them sound great....

Many people over spend on headphones. But if you look at the pros in the recording industry or in the movie business they never buy $1000 headphones, not even $400 headphones. So all the music you buy and all those moves are produced mostly on plain, every day studio headphones, it might be disappointing that you only need to spend $150 or so, I mean that hardly gives you bragging rights on Internet forums but on the other hand you could pass yourself off as a professional sound guy or engineer if you have a well used pair of maybe one or both of these.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240S/

bill-p
Sep 11, 2013, 01:43 AM
Studios have dedicated monitors (speakers), so they practically don't really need to use headphones that much.

Anyway, good sound quality on a budget? Grab yourself a Beyerdynamic DT880, get a Little Dot Mk.III for amping, and then you can call it a day.

If that's not rich enough for your blood, Hifiman HE-500 + Schiit Valhalla should do the trick.

Or if the above two are way past your budget, and you are really looking for something in the lower price range, then you can either get a Brainwavz HM5, or Audio Technica ATH-M50 for kicks. Neither of which really requires any amping (or even benefit all that much from higher-end gears).

If you are on even lower level of budget, Creative Aurvana Live! should be a default choice.

And if you are on an even lower level of budget that you can't afford CAL!, then I'd say... why not just stick with Apple's Earpod? They actually don't sound half bad.

Alternatively, vintage Pioneer headphones coupled with vintage receivers/amplifiers can occasionally be salvaged for cheap from flea markets or Craigslist. And trust me, those things sound way nicer than stuffs multiple times their price range now.

mackandproud
Sep 14, 2013, 02:29 AM
Check out head fi.

What's your budget btw?

After doing some research, it appears that the HD-800 is going to get very costly ($2000+) to make them sound great. For that kind of money, I'd rather buy a pair of speakers such as Adam S2X's.

I want a pair of headphones that:
- blow away the Shure SE535
- amazing soundstage
- amazing details in the bass, mid and highs
- not difficult to drive.
- very comfortable to wear.
- Excellent quality bass ( clean, tight and responsive bass )
- Can be open or closed, because on the go I'll be using the Shure SE535.

What headphones should I buy? :P

UBS28
Sep 15, 2013, 06:24 AM
Check out head fi.

What's your budget btw?

I didn't really have a cap on my budget, but at some price points I rather buy new speakers which are probably better than the HD800.

I decided to go with the Shure SRH 1840, as it was the best headphone for what I was looking for.

While the HD700 sounds amazing, my IEM Shure SE535 is a lot better regarding transparancy which I found a huge disappointment for a $700 headphone. And also I didn't like how coloured the HD700 headphone is when comparing it to the Shure SRH 1840. But the HD 700 has amazing details though, I could hear things that I didn't hear with my Shure SE535 and the soundstage is incredible. (there probably doesn't exist IEM with the soundstage of high end open headphones)

In the end, the Shure SRH 1840 is basically a Shure SE535 but better in every single way. It's also more neutral than all the AKG and Sennheiser headphones (except for the HD800 perhaps but the sound character depends alot of the amplifier used).

However, I"m still doubting rather I made the right choice. I still have an itch for the Sennheiser HD800. :(

mackandproud
Sep 15, 2013, 03:56 PM
If you have an unlimited budget, try the electrostatics. Stax supposedly makes the best headphones in the world.

Personally, I've been thoroughly amazed by my under $100 headphones. My koss ur-40 are neutral and beautiful (and detailed) for around $30. My portapro's are my go-to movie headphones at around $40. Koss ktxpro1's are fabulous for pop and rock at around $15. I have phillips 3580's which are too bright, but still fun paired with older 70's tracks, giving them a bit of punch and sparkle. At $8, can I really complain?

I bought a budget headphone amp at around $30 and they make an appreciable difference with most headphones I've tried.

I would think that the hd800's plus a quality amp would run you close to $2K at least. I trust that there's a noticeable difference compared to the gear I'm using, but I'm very, very pleased with the quality of headphones I have at approximately $40 or less.

Wouldn't it suck if there were only minor differences between my gear and headphones that cost $2K?????

I didn't really have a cap on my budget, but at some price points I rather buy new speakers which are probably better than the HD800.

I decided to go with the Shure SRH 1840, as it was the best headphone for what I was looking for.

While the HD700 sounds amazing, my IEM Shure SE535 is a lot better regarding transparancy which I found a huge disappointment for a $700 headphone. And also I didn't like how coloured the HD700 headphone is when comparing it to the Shure SRH 1840. But the HD 700 has amazing details though, I could hear things that I didn't hear with my Shure SE535 and the soundstage is incredible. (there probably doesn't exist IEM with the soundstage of high end open headphones)

In the end, the Shure SRH 1840 is basically a Shure SE535 but better in every single way. It's also more neutral than all the AKG and Sennheiser headphones (except for the HD800 perhaps but the sound character depends alot of the amplifier used).

However, I"m still doubting rather I made the right choice. I still have an itch for the Sennheiser HD800. :(

MH01
Oct 4, 2013, 05:00 AM

The Senheiser HD800 are amazing, if paired with the correct amp. They really are that good.

Also, at the same price point there are no speakers that beat a headphone (okay.... Beats do break this rule :P ). To beat the HD800 + quality amp, your talking about a really really really expansive setup.

For anyone that can afford them, I would say get the HD800. There are alot of good headphones in this price range, its comes down to the kind of music you like to listen.

Uofmtiger
Oct 4, 2013, 10:36 AM

I decided to go with the Shure SRH 1840, as it was the best headphone for what I was looking for.(I am a big fan of the Shure SRH 940s, so I bet these sound really nice. I have several headphones (HD580s, AKG K701s, ATH M50s, some old school electrostatic Realistic HP-100s, etc.). However, I stopped buying headphones a while back when I got the Shures.

They don't require an amp, but because of the amazing detail, you can pair them with different amps to get a sound you like. A tube amp will enhance the bass notes and give it a more liquid sound, while not giving up much in the way of detail. Also, I prefer the closed headphones, since they can go anywhere. The k701 have a wider soundstage, but they REQUIRE an amp that works well with them. I have a Heed Canamp that is perfect for them.

Anyway, please let us know your impressions after using them for a while.

musicjunky
Oct 8, 2013, 06:48 PM
I always read about the upper tier headphones, but unfortunately will not sniff the ear sweat on their cups anytime soon. $$$$ purchases for my $ pay.

Scepticalscribe
Oct 9, 2013, 03:44 PM
Earlier this evening, I had been reading through this thread, and, prompted by some posts, read some online reviews of the Shure headphones, mainly the Shure SRH 1840; (the SRH 940s I have not heard of, and, of course, the SE 535s are justly renowned).

I have posted here, and elsewhere, that I am an admirer of the B&W headphones (and sound systems). Trawling online tonight, I noticed that they have released a 'flagship' product, an over ear earphone/headphone (rather than an 'on-ear' product which is what both the P3s and P5s are).

Anyway, this product has been called the 'P7', and has attracted excellent reviews, which write warmly about its excellent audio quality, its (predictably) superb and stylish build quality, which features much metal (and yes, sheepskin leather features again, a big plus for me, as I find it extremely comfortable to wear for long periods of time), that folding refined elegance they introduced with the P3s, and also - a key point for me - how comfortable it is to wear. The only drawback noted in the reviews posted is the price.

Not sure if anyone else has come across them, but, given how much I enjoy their other products, I imagine that I shall succumb before too long and purchase a pair.

ChrisA
Oct 9, 2013, 11:44 PM
I always read about the upper tier headphones, but unfortunately will not sniff the ear sweat on their cups anytime soon. $$$$ purchases for my $ pay.

They write about the high priced stuff but if you look at what the people in the music and movie business, who MAKE the stuff you listen to use, they rarely spend over $100 for a pair of headphones. It is not that they are cheap because you'll see that same guy who uses the $100 cans owns a crate filled with $1,000+ microphones.

Uofmtiger
Oct 10, 2013, 02:12 PM
They write about the high priced stuff but if you look at what the people in the music and movie business, who MAKE the stuff you listen to use, they rarely spend over $100 for a pair of headphones. It is not that they are cheap because you'll see that same guy who uses the $100 cans owns a crate filled with $1,000+ microphones.Steve Hoffman (http://www.stevehoffman.tv/discography/)says "headphone mixing is a sure way to make a stinky mix." He is mainly known for producing high quality recordings, so there may be engineers that are using headphones, but I trust his opinion on this subject.

He owned modded HD600s and modded AKG K701s (for home listening), but I am not sure what he owns these days.

Scepticalscribe, below is a small comparison of the Shure 940s vs the P5s:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20101025-47/a-sure-bet-shures-new-flagship-srh940-headphones/

Personally, I prefer accuracy because it is easier to pump up the bass via EQ than it is to pull detail out of headphones that are warm or over-emphasize bass.

Scepticalscribe
Oct 11, 2013, 11:10 AM
Steve Hoffman (http://www.stevehoffman.tv/discography/)says "headphone mixing is a sure way to make a stinky mix." He is mainly known for producing high quality recordings, so there may be engineers that are using headphones, but I trust his opinion on this subject.

He owned modded HD600s and modded AKG K701s (for home listening), but I am not sure what he owns these days.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20101025-47/a-sure-bet-shures-new-flagship-srh940-headphones/

Personally, I prefer accuracy because it is easier to pump up the bass via EQ than it is to pull detail out of headphones that are warm or over-emphasize bass.

Thanks a lot for posting that comparison; it made for an interesting - and thought-provoking - read.

UBS28
Oct 11, 2013, 01:42 PM
They write about the high priced stuff but if you look at what the people in the music and movie business, who MAKE the stuff you listen to use, they rarely spend over $100 for a pair of headphones. It is not that they are cheap because you'll see that same guy who uses the $100 cans owns a crate filled with $1,000+ microphones.

The professionals mix on studio monitors which easily go for $2000. They certainly have headphones that are more expensive than $100, such as the DT 250-80 for example. But they don't use their headphones alot as it's only used for checking that their music translates to headphones also, or zooming in on bad parts.

For people who do some mixing outside of their studio for time to time ... a $100 headphone like an AKG 240S really falls short since it's coloured, lacks details and lacks the imaging. You need a real reference headphone like a Shure SRH 1840 which is probably one of the flattest headphones ever made with incredible imaging and soundstage.

----------

Steve Hoffman (http://www.stevehoffman.tv/discography/)says "headphone mixing is a sure way to make a stinky mix." He is mainly known for producing high quality recordings, so there may be engineers that are using headphones, but I trust his opinion on this subject.

I believe it's not that bad. Just make sure you check on your Studio Monitors later that it sounds ok when you are done. Imaging on headphones vs studio monitors can be a bit off.

----------

Earlier this evening, I had been reading through this thread, and, prompted by some posts, read some online reviews of the Shure headphones, mainly the Shure SRH 1840; (the SRH 940s I have not heard of, and, of course, the SE 535s are justly renowned).

I have posted here, and elsewhere, that I am an admirer of the B&W headphones (and sound systems). Trawling online tonight, I noticed that they have released a 'flagship' product, an over ear earphone/headphone (rather than an 'on-ear' product which is what both the P3s and P5s are).

Anyway, this product has been called the 'P7', and has attracted excellent reviews, which write warmly about its excellent audio quality, its (predictably) superb and stylish build quality, which features much metal (and yes, sheepskin leather features again, a big plus for me, as I find it extremely comfortable to wear for long periods of time), that folding refined elegance they introduced with the P3s, and also - a key point for me - how comfortable it is to wear. The only drawback noted in the reviews posted is the price.

Not sure if anyone else has come across them, but, given how much I enjoy their other products, I imagine that I shall succumb before too long and purchase a pair.

I have the B&W P5. They are really great looking and the sound is descent considering it's a portable headphone. The cables breaks easily though, I had to replace my cable due to wear. I'm not sure if they use different cables for the B&W P7. If they use the same cables as the B&W P5, you better consider buying something else in my opinion.

Scepticalscribe
Oct 31, 2013, 04:30 PM
I've just bought the B&W P7s - they arrived today in a nice parcel, delivered by post. Given that it is B&W, they look absolutely stunning, are beautifully constructed, and fold away nicely, (as do the P3s).

Will let you know how they sound when I have 'burned' them in - most of the reviews agree that this is needed.

twietee
Oct 31, 2013, 05:04 PM
I was eyeing the P5s for quite some time now and while pleasantly surprised by the P7, which use black colour instead of silver for the metal parts (not important but I'd prefer it that way) now if I remember correctly, had noticed an also very welcome price drop for the P5 for almost 1/3 following the introduction of the new model. :)

Scepticalscribe
Oct 31, 2013, 05:53 PM
I was eyeing the P5s for quite some time now and while pleasantly surprised by the P7, which use black colour instead of silver for the metal parts (not important but I'd prefer it that way) now if I remember correctly, had noticed an also very welcome price drop for the P5 for almost 1/3 following the introduction of the new model. :)

Well, I have posted a lot about the P5s over the past two years; I love them.

Others may have different preferences, desires, and needs, but, for me, using comfort, portability, audio quality and sheer design aesthetic and high standards of actual construction (leather and metal) as criteria for making a judgement or offering an opinion, I have to say that the P5s are easily my favourite headphones ever.

On first listening, this evening, the audio quality of the P7s is superb. Yes, agreed, the use of the black metal is very attractive in the P7s, but I also find the P5 look to be very stylish.

mugtastic
Oct 31, 2013, 07:48 PM
i have a lot of headphones that i love. akg 701, ath m50, even koss porta pro. i also have a tube headphone amp and a solid state.

From the description of what you want though, i would recommend the denon AH-D2000 (or higher if you would like to spend more). exciting sound, great bass super comfy.

i love them - but they are heavy, big and loose so i'd only recommend them for home (or at least stationary) use.

twietee
Nov 4, 2013, 02:29 AM
Couldn't resist at a price point of 220 for a new pair of P5s. Will be my first pair of decent headphones ever. Hope my hearing works good enough for them!

Now chewing fingers til shipment arrives...:D

Scepticalscribe
Nov 4, 2013, 05:56 PM
Couldn't resist at a price point of 220€ for a new pair of P5s. Will be my first pair of decent headphones ever. Hope my hearing works good enough for them!

Now chewing fingers til shipment arrives...:D

Enjoy, enjoy, I think you will love them; indeed, as I have posted earlier, they are by far my favourite headphones, ever. (The P7s are terrific, but nothing like as portable; the P5s just fit neatly into my briefcase, along with my iPod.....permanent travelling companions....)

tanglaoduck
Nov 5, 2013, 10:22 AM
i think so,The Senheiser HD800 are amazing, if paired with the correct amp. They really are that good.thankshttp://www.*******/1348q

UBS28
Nov 23, 2013, 05:18 PM
i think so,The Senheiser HD800 are amazing, if paired with the correct amp. They really are that good.thanksImage (http://www.*******/1348q)

I think AKG answered my prayers by creating the AKG 812 Pro. It supposedly be as good as the Sennheiser HD800 but it doesn't require a powerful amplifier.

I might replace these Shure SRH 1840 with the AKG 812 Pro if they become available :cool:

Medz1
Nov 26, 2013, 03:43 PM
I've just managed to get a pair of the P5's on Amazon's lightening deals (paid 139). I've not got them yet but from what I've been reading people say the Sennhieser Momentums are better?

Anyone tried both?

WillFisher
Nov 27, 2013, 10:50 AM
I've just managed to get a pair of the P5's on Amazon's lightening deals (paid 139). I've not got them yet but from what I've been reading people say the Sennhieser Momentums are better?

Anyone tried both?

I tried both and went with the P5's. Sound was that little clearly and crisper, but mainly the comfort was second to none. Haven't changed since September last year, even after trying many different sets of cans.

Scepticalscribe
Nov 27, 2013, 11:32 AM

Anyone tried both?

I tried both and went with the P5's. Sound was that little clearly and crisper, but mainly the comfort was second to none. Haven't changed since September last year, even after trying many different sets of cans.

Agree with WillFisher; I have had the P5s for over the past two years (an age for me) and for comfort, I have never had a headphone to match them. Even the P7s, which I bought recently, are not as comfortable to wear as the P5s, though their sound is superb. The sound of the P5s is excellent, they are extremely portable and look great, in addition to being the most comfortable - by far - headphone - I have ever owned.

Re the Sennheiser Momentums, I tried them out recently at an airport while waiting for my flight on the recommendation of an assistant in a shop (which also sold Apple products); he maintained that these were the closest available to the P5s, but thought the P5s are better. I listened to a few tracks on my own iPod (rather than the store's choice of music) and agreed with him. The Sennheisers are very comfortable and have a lovely sound; it is just that (to my mind) the P5s are more comfortable and have a better (and crisper) sound.

Medz1
Nov 27, 2013, 02:37 PM
I got the P5's about an hour ago and after only trying for 20 minutes think they are fantastic! The sound maybe a little bass heavy but that's fine with me. Still getting used to the fit. They seem a little 'grippy' but not a problem. The built is absolutely beautiful and the only thing that let's them down in the flimsy cable. Surly for 250 they could include a more robust cable? Anyway, these are only initial thoughts.

I have tried the Momentum's and thought they were excellent too. The only thing I didn't like about them was the small earcups. I could only just get my ears into them. Not a problem with the P5's. I can't say which sounds better as it was a few weeks ago that I tried the Momentum's but they are both superb sounding cans. V happy, especially with the deal I got!

Scepticalscribe
Nov 28, 2013, 10:40 AM
I got the P5's about an hour ago and after only trying for 20 minutes think they are fantastic! The sound maybe a little bass heavy but that's fine with me. Still getting used to the fit. They seem a little 'grippy' but not a problem. The built is absolutely beautiful and the only thing that let's them down in the flimsy cable. Surly for 250 they could include a more robust cable? Anyway, these are only initial thoughts.

I have tried the Momentum's and thought they were excellent too. The only thing I didn't like about them was the small earcups. I could only just get my ears into them. Not a problem with the P5's. I can't say which sounds better as it was a few weeks ago that I tried the Momentum's but they are both superb sounding cans. V happy, especially with the deal I got!

Ah, wonderful to hear this; I'm really pleased that you are happy with them.

I think you really will enjoy them, for, as I have posted here, and on a number of other threads, they are simply the best headphones I have ever had. Actually, I use the P5s on a daily basis - each morning, they are placed in my briefcase (along with an iPod) where they spend the day waiting for an opportunity to use them to present itself, and are retrieved in the evening.

Medz1
Nov 28, 2013, 02:50 PM
Can I ask what effect on headphones does eq have? I mean, I usually have it turned off but have read (somewhere) that treble booster gives the best results. (I'm talking about eq on iPhone/iPod here).

TMRaven
Nov 29, 2013, 09:46 AM
HE-500
Schiit Bifrost
Schiit Asgard2

That's around 1200 and near world class quality. The extreme high end is where extreme diminishing returns kick in.

Medz1
Nov 29, 2013, 11:56 AM
I've been trying to find out what's the difference between the two momentum's. On ear and over ear. Apart from the price I can't see?

TMRaven
Nov 29, 2013, 12:47 PM
On ear headphones by design will always offer a little less sound quality than over ear.

Medz1
Nov 30, 2013, 01:01 PM
How long do you guys recommend running in headphones?

Gofre
Nov 30, 2013, 06:49 PM
I've been trying to find out what's the difference between the two momentum's. On ear and over ear. Apart from the price I can't see?

Looking at the specs I would guess they are based on the same (or very similar) driver but slightly differently tuned. To my ears the Momentum On-Ear was worse than the full sized model, I much preferred the sound of my V Mida M80s which I had with me at the time, while I find the original Momentums to be better.

Medz1
Nov 30, 2013, 07:28 PM
Looking at the specs I would guess they are based on the same (or very similar) driver but slightly differently tuned. To my ears the Momentum On-Ear was worse than the full sized model, I much preferred the sound of my V Mida M80s which I had with me at the time, while I find the original Momentums to be better.

So momentums over ear better? Loving the B & W P5's but intrigued by the reviews that the momentums are better.

Gofre
Dec 1, 2013, 06:07 AM
So momentums over ear better? Loving the B & W P5's but intrigued by the reviews that the momentums are better.

Yep, and I'd agree that're also better than the P5s. Definitely worth comparing the two.

Gafjry
Dec 1, 2013, 08:06 AM
I still have an itch for the Sennheiser HD800.http://www.***********/5.jpg

Medz1
Dec 1, 2013, 08:37 AM
I still have an itch for the Sennheiser HD800.Image (http://www.***********/5.jpg)

Yeah but don't you need to be able to drive them properly? My HD600's need more oomph than an iPhone can give.

TMRaven
Dec 1, 2013, 09:00 AM
You actually don't need much to drive the HD800, but it has such a proclivity to change its sound based on upstream components that people go wild trying to find the system that fits their tastes. It's also very revealing of the quality of the upstream components too, so naturally the better quality they are the better quality the HD800 will sound. Actual power doesn't have much to do with it.

There are only very few headphones out there that actually need a tremendous amount of power to drive. The Hifiman HE-6, for example, is often used with speaker amplifiers' speaker taps.

Medz1
Dec 5, 2013, 02:51 PM
Ah, wonderful to hear this; I'm really pleased that you are happy with them.

I think you really will enjoy them, for, as I have posted here, and on a number of other threads, they are simply the best headphones I have ever had. Actually, I use the P5s on a daily basis - each morning, they are placed in my briefcase (along with an iPod) where they spend the day waiting for an opportunity to use them to present itself, and are retrieved in the evening.

Still loving the P5's despite my thoughts of the Momentums but.....have now seen the P7's which look even better! I'm still within my 30 day return window with Amazon so am seriously considering......!

Scepticalscribe
Dec 5, 2013, 03:26 PM
Still loving the P5's despite my thoughts of the Momentums but.....have now seen the P7's which look even better! I'm still within my 30 day return window with Amazon so am seriously considering......!

I have both.

The P7s are amazing - the audio quality is a lot better - it is really, really excellent - than that offered by the P5s, (which are extremely good) and they fully cover (enfold) your ears in a large leather cup, rather than sitting on your ears as the P5s do.

There are two slight drawbacks: Firstly, to my mind, they are not quite as comfortable as the P5s, the headband (leather, naturally) is rather tight (a point also made by some of the reviews), and can become uncomfortable if you are wearing it for a long time. I have not yet found out whether this eases over time, as I am working abroad and I didn't bring the P7s with me; they remain at home. Which brings me to my second point.

Secondly, they are a good bit bigger than the P5s (although they do fold away in a design similar to the P3s), and are therefore (despite the folding mechanism) somewhat less portable and take up more space in a briefcase. As with the others in the range, they come in a very nice bag.

To be honest, I see the P7s more as a studio, or study, or living room set of headphones, a set usually left at home for relaxed domestic listening, rather than the set I'd stuff in my briefcase (which is where my P5s live a lot of the time) when I am travelling or commuting.

Medz1
Dec 5, 2013, 03:36 PM
I can see 'this' becoming expensive! As I say I love the P5's but always looking for 'best'. I've just ordered from Amazon so will see for my self. I tried the Momentums in Store and thought they were also excellent. I guess it's really hard to compare unless you have them all side to side. Anyone of these headphone would suffice. Anyway, I'm enjoying the 'trip' and 'really' (really!) looking forward to finally settling on a pair. Until that is, the next best set to come out!

Gofre
Dec 5, 2013, 04:56 PM
Another vote for the P7s here. I don't think the P5s represent good value for money for anything other than build quality, the other popular on-ear choices in this price bracket (Sennheiser HD25/Amperior, V Moda M80 and Beyerdynamic DT1350/T51P) all sound significantly better and potentially for significantly cheaper. The P7s, on the other hand, sound like they're from a completely different manufacturer and remind me more of a HD25 on steroids than the P5s, with a relatively balanced and aggressive sound with a lively treble compared to the warm, laid back P5s. Overall fidelity has gone through the roof with them, and they're a step up from the Amperiors I already own (which I think are in turn superior to the Momentums). Definitely my favourite portable headphone after having owned and used most of the more popular choices in this class of product.

Medz1
Dec 5, 2013, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=Gofre;18463554]Another vote for the P7s here. I don't think the P5s represent good value for money for anything other than build quality, the other popular on-ear choices in this price bracket (Sennheiser HD25/Amperior, V Moda M80 and Beyerdynamic DT1350/T51P) all sound significantly better and potentially for significantly cheaper. The P7s, on the other hand, sound like they're from a completely different manufacturer and remind me more of a HD25 on steroids than the P5s, with a relatively balanced and aggressive sound with a lively treble compared to the warm, laid back P5s. Overall fidelity has gone through the roof with them, and they're a step up from the Amperiors I already own (which I think are in turn superior to the Momentums). Definitely my favourite portable headphone after having owned and used most of the more popular choices in this class of product.[/QUOT

That's interesting you say that about the Amperior's. They were just on offer on Amazon lightening deals for about 130 I think. I managed to get the p5's for 139 and really like them but fancy the P7's now. They, from what I've read of so far are in a different class. Just one question, are they as easy to drive as the P5's? I mainly listen via iPhone 5s and iPad Air.

Gofre
Dec 5, 2013, 05:21 PM
That's interesting you say that about the Amperior's. They were just on offer on Amazon lightening deals for about 130 I think. I managed to get the p5's for 139 and really like them but fancy the P7's now. They, from what I've read of so far are in a different class. Just one question, are they as easy to drive as the P5's? I mainly listen via iPhone 5s and iPad Air.

Apple are putting the P7s on display in their stores now, so it's definitely worth giving them a try. I've just done a quick test with my Moto G and it's driving them fine. They're still built for mobile listening so I doubt that iPhones and the like will have trouble driving them.

They're definitely in a different league and as someone who's already spent a stupid amount of money on headphones they were a no-brainer for me. However it's a subjective thing, and you got a great deal as far as P5 prices go, so you may not think the additional 200 is justified or even just prefer the P5's relaxed sound (in which case I'd say try the Momentums). I'd say give them a go, because in my book they're phenomenal.

Medz1
Dec 5, 2013, 06:14 PM
Apple are putting the P7s on display in their stores now, so it's definitely worth giving them a try. I've just done a quick test with my Moto G and it's driving them fine. They're still built for mobile listening so I doubt that iPhones and the like will have trouble driving them.

They're definitely in a different league and as someone who's already spent a stupid amount of money on headphones they were a no-brainer for me. However it's a subjective thing, and you got a great deal as far as P5 prices go, so you may not think the additional 200 is justified or even just prefer the P5's relaxed sound (in which case I'd say try the Momentums). I'd say give them a go, because in my book they're phenomenal.

Yep, this I intend to do. As you say it's all subjective. Just been listening to my P5's and can't imagine anything better so bring it on! I've got a few weeks to compare but you tend to lean towards what you're used to so will try and be objective.

Gofre
Dec 6, 2013, 07:30 AM
Yep, this I intend to do. As you say it's all subjective. Just been listening to my P5's and can't imagine anything better so bring it on! I've got a few weeks to compare but you tend to lean towards what you're used to so will try and be objective.

Haha discovering new awesome sounding headphones is a fun part of the hobby, my wallet tends to disagree though! Good luck :)

UBS28
Dec 6, 2013, 09:53 AM
HE-500
Schiit Bifrost
Schiit Asgard2

That's around 1200 and near world class quality. The extreme high end is where extreme diminishing returns kick in.

I hear the HE-500 is not comfortable though? Comfort is important to me since I wear headphones for hours at a time sometimes.

Scepticalscribe
Dec 6, 2013, 12:30 PM
Just one question, are they as easy to drive as the P5's? I mainly listen via iPhone 5s and iPad Air.

Undoubtedly, yes, they are as easy to drive as the P5s. I have used them on my iPod and they were (and are) excellent - a really lovely sound.

Medz1
Dec 7, 2013, 09:35 AM
P7's turned up. Wow! Sending others back. These ARE the ones. I knew after 5 seconds. Amazing.

Scepticalscribe
Dec 7, 2013, 11:17 AM
P7's turned up. Wow! Sending others back. These ARE the ones. I knew after 5 seconds. Amazing.

Bravo. I'm really happy for you and I hope that you really enjoy them and get as much out of them as you have already managed to get from the P5s…...

Medz1
Dec 7, 2013, 09:07 PM
Bravo. I'm really happy for you and I hope that you really enjoy them and get as much out of them as you have already managed to get from the P5s...

Already thinking of keeping the P5's as more portable

UBS28
Dec 8, 2013, 09:49 AM

Hence why I still got my Shure SE535 for my iPhone. The headphones that can replace it are either very expensive or is a big downgrade in terms of portability.

Scepticalscribe
Dec 8, 2013, 10:13 AM

That is why I have kept mine, too.

You'll enjoy being able to use both - to my mind, they are the best - and easily the most comfortable - headphones I have ever had.

----------

Hence why I still got my Shure SE535 for my iPhone. The headphones that can replace it are either very expensive or is a big downgrade in terms of portability.

I have heard excellent reports of the Shure SE535 in-ears; they seem to be the standard by which everything else is measured in the field, and appear to enjoy a justly highly regarded reputation.

while I did them buying them consideration, once I got into the B&W family, I doubt that I'll leave. Indeed, I have also bought the C5s (the B&W in-ear member of their headphone family) but have yet to use them, as, despite hearing extremely good reports of them, I have yet to wear a really comfortable in-ear piece.

Medz1
Dec 8, 2013, 10:18 AM
That is why I have kept mine, too.

You'll enjoy being able to use both - to my mind, they are the best - and easily the most comfortable - headphones I have ever had.

----------

I have heard excellent reports of the Shure SE535 in-ears; they seem to be the standard by which everything else is measured in the field, and appear to enjoy a justly highly regarded reputation.

while I did them buying them consideration, once I got into the B&W family, I doubt that I'll leave. Indeed, I have also bought the C5s (the B&W in-ear member of their headphone family) but have yet to use them, as, despite hearing extremely good reports of them, I have yet to wear a really comfortable in-ear piece.

I got the Bose MIE 2i that I use in the gym. There the best fitting in ear I've had. They don't fit into the ear canal they kind of sit in the ear. They don't move. Sound wise they are 'ok' at best.

Medz1
Dec 8, 2013, 04:47 PM
Also, now I've joined the B&W 'family' I'd be interested to know what you think about the C5's. Read some positive and some negative reviews.

Medz1
Dec 13, 2013, 09:37 AM

while I did them buying them consideration, once I got into the B&W family, I doubt that I'll leave. Indeed, I have also bought the C5s (the B&W in-ear member of their headphone family) but have yet to use them, as, despite hearing extremely good reports of them, I have yet to wear a really comfortable in-ear piece.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried your C5's yet? I bought some SoundMagic E10's but sending back as they increase the volume on their own!

Scepticalscribe
Dec 13, 2013, 01:19 PM

Have you tried your C5's yet? I bought some SoundMagic E10's but sending back as they increase the volume on their own![/QUOTE]

No, as they are in my place of work, a continent and a half away. I will try them when I return to wrk immediately after Christmas. However, the good news is, that, as I have just arrived home, my P7s are sitting here on my desk, and I shall have the terrific pleasure of their company while listening to some music this evening.

WillFisher
Dec 13, 2013, 11:20 PM
Just thought I'd add back here that I sat in an Apple Store trying the P7's for around 30 minutes the other day, and just wow.
Hoping to get myself a christmas present to myself...

UBS28
Dec 14, 2013, 10:35 AM

The Shure SE535 is better than headphones like the Sennheiser Momentus (which is the competitor of the B&W P7). It's quite surprising how something that small can sound this good. The Shure SE535 is really comfortable if it fits your ears. (I have no issues, but I heard some people had comfort problems )

I have used the B&W P5 alot before buying the Shure SE535. I hear B&W makes very good speakers. Perhaps when I move to my new appartement I'll buy some B&W speakers to go along with a 4K TV :)

Medz1
Dec 14, 2013, 03:22 PM
The Shure SE535 is better than headphones like the Sennheiser Momentus (which is the competitor of the B&W P7). It's quite surprising how something that small can sound this good. The Shure SE535 is really comfortable if it fits your ears. (I have no issues, but I heard some people had comfort problems )

I have used the B&W P5 alot before buying the Shure SE535. I hear B&W makes very good speakers. Perhaps when I move to my new appartement I'll buy some B&W speakers to go along with a 4K TV :)

The 535's are too expensive. Any other recommendations?

Medz1
Dec 17, 2013, 03:59 PM
Still thinking of getting the C5's but 1/2 of the reviews I read state problems with them fitting. Some say great others that the loop digs into the ear.

Gofre
Dec 18, 2013, 06:42 AM
Still thinking of getting the C5's but 1/2 of the reviews I read state problems with them fitting. Some say great others that the loop digs into the ear.

Like the P5s I don't rate the C5s very highly, sound quality does not justify the price tag and unlike B&W's full sized headphones the build quality is nothing spectacular, they're well made but nothing you couldn't find in another pair at the same price point.

How much are you looking to spend on IEMs?

Medz1
Dec 18, 2013, 12:05 PM
I've been looking today at the Klipsch Image X10i's. They're a great price on Amazon at the moment.

A big factor for me is comfort which was one of the reasons I was looking at the B&W's. The Kplisch gets good 'comfort' ratings.

Destroysall
Dec 18, 2013, 12:33 PM
German companies, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser, have great options. I think you'll fancy either of their neutral headphones (the DT 880 and HD 600 respectively). They are amazing headphones that utilize all of your required criteria and aren't too heavy on the wallet. Either would be an excellent option, so choose what you like best.

Now in terms of amplification and source, I think the small (yet powerful) Schiit Magni or Vali along with the Modi would be a perfect combination.

Overall, I think this combination should fit your budget much more. Hope this all helps!

Medz1
Dec 18, 2013, 12:41 PM
German companies, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser, have great options. I think you'll fancy either of their neutral headphones (the DT 880 and HD 600 respectively). They are amazing headphones that utilize all of your required criteria and aren't too heavy on the wallet. Either would be an excellent option, so choose what you like best.

Now in terms of amplification and source, I think the small (yet powerful) Schiit Magni or Vali along with the Modi would be a perfect combination.

Overall, I think this combination should fit your budget much more. Hope this all helps!

I'm looking for some in ears. I already have the HD 600's (love them!). Just looking for something to use at the gym.

UBS28
Dec 18, 2013, 01:32 PM
The 535's are too expensive. Any other recommendations?

They can be expensive at $400, but considering it beats the Sennheiser HD800 in terms of square wave tests and THD% measurements, the price tag justifies it :)

An IEM that offers great value for money, is the Shure SE215 at $99. It's a warm / v-shaped sounding IEM with a lot of bass.

Medz1
Dec 18, 2013, 01:41 PM
They can be expensive at $400, but considering it beats the Sennheiser HD800 in terms of square wave tests and THD% measurements, the price tag justifies it :)

An IEM that offers great value for money, is the Shure SE215 at $99. It's a warm / v-shaped sounding IEM with a lot of bass.

Yeah, I've looked at them. How do you think they rate against the Kplisch? They're both around the same price.

Medz1
Dec 18, 2013, 04:08 PM
Just bagged the Kplisch image X10i's for 70 on Amazon. That's around $115!

Destroysall
Dec 19, 2013, 02:58 AM
I'm looking for some in ears. I already have the HD 600's (love them!). Just looking for something to use at the gym.I would go with either the Koss KSC 75 or Koss PortaPro headphones.. they actually sound decent and wouldn't be a terrible loss if you accidentally misplace them.

Medz1
Dec 20, 2013, 07:51 AM
A question guys; I've just got my Klipsch x10i's and at first I couldn't get anything out of the right ear, then when I tried them on my mac they worked? Then the right ear came on intermittently on my iPhone and now working fine? I was going to return and contacted Amazon but now don't know what to do?

Is there any reason they would not work and now work? It must of been some dust or something in the iPhone jack? Although I used it with my P5's for a good hour this morning with no problems. Any ideas?

UBS28
Dec 20, 2013, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I've looked at them. How do you think they rate against the Kplisch? They're both around the same price.

The Shure SE215 are better due to better build quality imo.

----------

A question guys; I've just got my Klipsch x10i's and at first I couldn't get anything out of the right ear, then when I tried them on my mac they worked? Then the right ear came on intermittently on my iPhone and now working fine? I was going to return and contacted Amazon but now don't know what to do?

Is there any reason they would not work and now work? It must of been some dust or something in the iPhone jack? Although I used it with my P5's for a good hour this morning with no problems. Any ideas?

Could be the cable.

Medz1
Jan 18, 2014, 09:48 PM
Sent back. Now, Soundmagic E10's or B & W C5's? Anyone?

Medz1
Feb 2, 2014, 01:44 PM
Still looking. Beyerdynamic MMX101 iE or the C5's.

Diastro
Feb 11, 2014, 04:46 AM
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame

http://www.head-fi.org/f/

lotzosushi
Feb 12, 2014, 09:26 AM
I just got Shure's brand new SE846 earphones (http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE846-CL-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDrivers/dp/B00DIUGW6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392218852&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+se846) and they are absolutely amazing. I've owned the SE530 and 535s before that and just when you think headphones couldn't sound any better these new 846 ones were in a completely different category. So. Freaking. Good. Plus you can even adjust the sound, check em out for sure.

For on-ear headphones the V-Moda M100s (http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-100/) have been pretty darn good for me. Every review of these has been extremely positive.

Here's a pic of my new Shure SE846 next to the SE535. The new quad driver system extends the highs and lows way beyond anything I've heard from in-ear headphones. Listening to the bass on acoustic/orchestral tracks made my ear melt it was wonderful.

http://imageshack.com/a/img844/7742/ckjw.jpg

UBS28
Feb 15, 2014, 02:57 AM
I just got Shure's brand new SE846 earphones (http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE846-CL-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDrivers/dp/B00DIUGW6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392218852&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+se846) and they are absolutely amazing. I've owned the SE530 and 535s before that and just when you think headphones couldn't sound any better these new 846 ones were in a completely different category. So. Freaking. Good. Plus you can even adjust the sound, check em out for sure.

For on-ear headphones the V-Moda M100s (http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-100/) have been pretty darn good for me. Every review of these has been extremely positive.

Here's a pic of my new Shure SE846 next to the SE535. The new quad driver system extends the highs and lows way beyond anything I've heard from in-ear headphones. Listening to the bass on acoustic/orchestral tracks made my ear melt it was wonderful.

Image (http://imageshack.com/a/img844/7742/ckjw.jpg)

Congratulations with your new IEM. :)

I haven't been able to listen to the Shure SE846 yet. Do you think the improvement over the Shure SE535 is worth the price tag if someone already owns the Shure SE535?

And to what type of over-the-ear headphone is it comparable to in terms of sound quality? Some people say it reminds them of the LCD-headphones which are highly regarded.

lotzosushi
Feb 20, 2014, 08:11 AM
Actually, now that I'm getting used to the SE846 I can't go back to the SE535s. It's a LOT different than you would expect, especially when you tweak the sound a little bit. I currently use WinAmp for listening to music on my Nexus 5 so I adjust the sound levels to where I want them to be.

It's hard to describe in words just how different but definitely worth the extra $500 over the SE535s. I'm not audiophile enough to have tried too many over ear headphones so I'm not sure I can compare it to any of them, but I tend to prefer in-ear cause I know I can turn these up as loud as I want and nobody around me will hear them.

Just be warned... you won't want to take them off once you've listened to them! Haha I couldn't sleep the first night I got them cause I was laying in bed listening to every genre and song to test the limits. Until next year's model I'm pretty sure this is as 'surround sound' and amazing as iems will get. :D

markieg
Feb 20, 2014, 09:05 AM
Yeah I too like Sennheiser, if the HD 600 are out of your budget check out Sennheiser Momentum (http://www.theappfinderblog.com/files/overearheadphones2014.html) they are great balanced headphones.

UBS28
Feb 20, 2014, 03:39 PM
Actually, now that I'm getting used to the SE846 I can't go back to the SE535s. It's a LOT different than you would expect, especially when you tweak the sound a little bit. I currently use WinAmp for listening to music on my Nexus 5 so I adjust the sound levels to where I want them to be.

It's hard to describe in words just how different but definitely worth the extra $500 over the SE535s. I'm not audiophile enough to have tried too many over ear headphones so I'm not sure I can compare it to any of them, but I tend to prefer in-ear cause I know I can turn these up as loud as I want and nobody around me will hear them.

Just be warned... you won't want to take them off once you've listened to them! Haha I couldn't sleep the first night I got them cause I was laying in bed listening to every genre and song to test the limits. Until next year's model I'm pretty sure this is as 'surround sound' and amazing as iems will get. :D

Thanks. I ordered the Shure SE846. :)

Medz1
Feb 20, 2014, 06:22 PM
Just listening to my Sennhieser HD600's via Denon AV3312 and it sounds sublime! (Stones).

lotzosushi
Feb 24, 2014, 08:23 AM
Sweet! :D Let us know how you like 'em.

UBS28
Mar 29, 2014, 03:51 PM
Sweet! :D Let us know how you like 'em.

I just got them. Holy ****, they are incredible. I think it really punches outside of the IEM category. Well worth the $1000. I thought it would just be a Shure SE535 with a bass boost, how wrong was I.

Next on my list is the AKG K812. But I think $1500 is a bit too expensive for them since they have a flawed treble apparently. So I'll wait for a price drop or wait until AKG comes with a MK II version that has fixed the treble issue :)

Marty62
Mar 30, 2014, 07:02 AM
A bit late to the party but here's what I use:

AKG K272HD's - which are quite flat and very comfortable for longer use.

Sony MDRV-7506 Professional - Have been around for ever and are quite robust
mostly used for travelling.... everyone in Film/TV seems to use them !

Sony DJ750's - Had them for 5/6 years, a little hyped but a good solid sound.

M.

SomeGuyDude
Mar 31, 2014, 01:15 AM
Went all out on this one.

Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI

http://i.imgur.com/3Fi52dxl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oIVMGX4l.jpg