PDA

View Full Version : Netflix with slower connections?

Sep 1, 2013, 06:13 PM
I am currently visiting my folks in Brazil and they have a 2Mbps/70ms ping broadband connection (rural area on the countryside of the São Paulo state) - with their ATV3 they would be able to access Netflix (as it is available in the US and BR) and their huge movie library.

However, I would like to know if anyone here has used Netflix with a connection such as theirs (2Mbps or so), at least in order to watch SD movies (HD is not really a priority)...please let me know if that is possible so I can think about subscribing to it.

I have already looked at the Netflix page concerning minimum speeds; but what I really wanted to know is real-life usage with slower connections.

Tks

anonnymouse
Sep 1, 2013, 06:44 PM
I watch on the "better quality" speed on both my desktop and mobile Netflix apps, and I've never been disappointed in the picture. I haven't ever set it at the lowest level.

For benefit of others that don't know the help information this is referring to:

There are 3 bandwidth settings to choose from on Netflix:
Good quality (uses up to 0.3 GB per hour)
Better quality (uses up to 0.7 GB per hour)
Best quality (uses up to 1 GB per hour, up to 2.8 GB per hour if watching HD, or up to 4.7 GB per hour if watching 3D)

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/87

Mrbobb
Sep 1, 2013, 06:58 PM
My 2.4 mb DSL is fine.

As long as ur aware overseas u don't get the same content as U.S.

Sep 1, 2013, 07:36 PM
My 2.4 mb DSL is fine.

As long as ur aware overseas u don't get the same content as U.S.

I am aware of that, even though content is actually pretty good and with dubbing or subtitles (as my parents are not fluent in english); to the person posting speeds above - how would those requirements translate in terms of Mbps? Tks.

dazed
Sep 1, 2013, 08:07 PM
If they haven't signed up yet then you get 1 month free to try out so its a no brainer( I love netflix :) )

If you want the US catalog I would recommend www.unblock-us.com. They have a 7 day trial(no need for credit card) and it will allow you to access other countries netflix catalogs among other things. It's super easy to set up too.

Sep 2, 2013, 07:13 PM
If they haven't signed up yet then you get 1 month free to try out so its a no brainer( I love netflix :) )

If you want the US catalog I would recommend www.unblock-us.com. They have a 7 day trial(no need for credit card) and it will allow you to access other countries netflix catalogs among other things. It's super easy to set up too.

Just so you know, today I signed up and watched a couple of movies already with my family - absolutely flawless streaming with their 2Mbps connection, great image quality (even if it's SD), subtitles in Portuguese for non-Brazilian titles and zero stuttering/buffering...besides, selection is vast in all genres.

I am positively impressed with Netflix BR and will be more than glad to continue such a subscription for my folks once the trial period expires.

alent1234
Sep 2, 2013, 07:18 PM
i don't think your issue is their speed, but the fact that you are in brazil

netflix stores their content inside the various ISP's networks. the software is on amazon's service. when you stream their content you rarely get it from the internet

streaming it in brazil means it has to go over a lot of intermediate connections and it might be very slow

Sep 2, 2013, 08:49 PM
i don't think your issue is their speed, but the fact that you are in brazil

netflix stores their content inside the various ISP's networks. the software is on amazon's service. when you stream their content you rarely get it from the internet

streaming it in brazil means it has to go over a lot of intermediate connections and it might be very slow

I am not talking about using NF from the US in BR; Netflix IS in Brazil now and there are no "intermediate" connections - it is one of the few countries alongside the US to have the service offered, so they must be using lots of BR servers already.

As said above, my experience has been flawless even with 2Mbps in a rural area of Brazil - besides, a LOT of content is already Brazilian and subtitles are available for everything...they really deserve kudos for this.