Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jtblount2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
I'm trying to decide whether or not to get Apple TV. The main reason I would use it to stream from Netflix, Hulu, espn and such. Is it worth it?

Also, can I display on the TV from my Mac or is that only from iPhones and iPad?

didztran

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
I actually have one and I must say it is worth it. Depends if you'd rather consider something else like the Chromecast, but you can do some airplay with any apple device (including your Mac), and with Mavericks, you'll be able to use your Apple Tv as a secondary display which is a really great bonus.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I give Apple TV a big thumbs up.

For me, it's the most convenient way of getting my favourite movies onto the big screen. Now that iTunes movies are available in iCloud, I can easily browse my purchases on Apple TV and start streaming one of my favourite movies.

I don't bother renting, and I always purchase HD movies. The quality is very good, and nearly on a par with BluRay. But make sure your internet bandwidth is adequate. I have a 20Mbps link, which can buffer up a downloading movie several times faster than it can be played back.

Where it really scores for me is convenience. I don't have to search for a disk and wait ages while BluRay fires up. My movies won't get scratched or unplayable. I can send movies straight to the big screen from my MacBook or iPhone. And because I have the Apple TV connected to an AV amplifier, I can play my music collection in a similar manner.

FlatlinerG

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Apple TV is absolutely worth the money. Other than my iPhone, it is the most used Apple product in our household. And I have somewhere in the range of 19 Apple products kicking around the house from Macs to iPod's to xserves.

You said Netflix, Hulu, ESPN. Check, check, check. Anything that isn't on there, Mountain Lion allows you to stream your entire Mac desktop to the Apple TV so internet streams work too. Also, third party solutions like Air Video Server add even more functionality to the Apple TV.

I have zero negative things to say about the Apple TV..

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I'm trying to decide whether or not to get Apple TV. The main reason I would use it to stream from Netflix, Hulu, espn and such. Is it worth it?

It depends on how much of Netflix's and Hulu's content really interests you enough that you're willing to pay subscription fees. I'm halfway through a two-month free trial of Hulu Plus, and I'm struggling to find enough worthwhile stuff to justify starting to pay for it. I dropped Amazon Prime partly for the same reason.

Jtblount2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Alright so I got it only to find out that my mid 2010 MacBook doesn't support airplay. Any suggestions about what I should do.

Also, does anyone know anything about air parrot? It seems to be the only other alternative but I'm not sure if its worth it.

One last question. Does anyone know if mavericks will fix this problem when it is released?

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Alright so I got it only to find out that my mid 2010 MacBook doesn't support airplay. Any suggestions about what I should do.

Buy a new MacBook.

One last question. Does anyone know if mavericks will fix this problem when it is released?

No. Apple can't fix problems of your own creation. You need to upgrade to hardware that supports cutting edge technologies such as Airplay. Apple can't work miracles unfortunately.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North

Also, does anyone know anything about air parrot? It seems to be the only other alternative but I'm not sure if its worth it.

air parrot works alright, fine if you sharing picstures or browsing the internet with others present, wouldnt use it to watch a movie though

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Apple tv sucks unless you have a **** ton of movies on the apple store. I have 45 movies on my itunes and still don't feel a need for one. I had one because I got a bonus and wanted to waste money. All the features of it are on most smart dvds, blu ray players, gaming systems. For the $100 bucks buy a used PS3.

All have cheaper ways of renting a movie instantly and are much cheaper.

Unless the new rumored Sept 10th Apple TV is under 50 bucks then it's not worth it especially if you have any of the mentioned above. Or are obssessed with having everything Apple. I hear Roku is a better option as well

RiverbankGuy

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
I have 3 Apple TV's in my house. I use them to stream my movie and TV show library to the living room and 2 bedrooms. I still have cable but it gets harder and harder all the time to keep it. Between what I have available to watch on the computer and Netflix, the wife, myself and 2 kids watch cable very little aside from sporting events. I kind of agree with the comment stated that a home without Apple TV is not a home, I have convinced numerous family members to get one or two themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.