PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors Apple TV listed on ipad Airplay

mtking
Sep 3, 2013, 12:07 AM
Hello all and thanks in advance.

When playing a video on my ipad 1, the airplay icon is available and an unknown Apple TV is listed. In fact, sometimes it sees two ATVs and also an airport express connection.

From my understanding so far, the Apple TV and ipad must be connected to the same wifi connection. Is this correct?

I have checked my wireless router and no unknown devices are inventoried as being active. I am using WPA2-Personal with AES encryption and a strong password. I am also using a MAC filter that is configured to only accept specific MAC addresses. I even changed the WPA key to kick all devices off the wifi and when I reconnected the ipad, the Apple TV was back as an AirPlay option.

Given the above, I'm pretty confident the Apple TV is not on my WIFI. Any suggestions or am I missing something fundamental?

jav6454
Sep 3, 2013, 12:13 AM
Yes it should be on the same Wi-Fi connection. Check/change your network password, maybe they guessed it.

mtking
Sep 3, 2013, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the reply Jav,

Thing is, I just changed the password (which knocked all devices off the wifi) and immediately reconnected to the wifi using the new password and the Apple TV was still listed as an airplay option. In fact, I have two Apple TV devices and an Airport Express.

I doubt anyone would have cracked the password in the 30 seconds it took to reset the wifi password on my ipad.

MorphMan
Sep 3, 2013, 02:42 AM
How do you connect to the Internet? The Devices need to be on the same LAN so if whats on the other side of your wifi device is bridged to them you will see it.

Do you run another networking systems like Ethernet Over Powerlines?

I recommend powering down every other device on your wifi and see if you can still see it. I think Bonjour has a system that allows a device to advertise and respond on behalf of another one to allow devices to sleep. Maybe it's not really there.

Mrbobb
Sep 3, 2013, 03:08 AM
Maybe YOUR NEIGHBOR has the open connection and ur iPad is seeing it when it scans the airways. When I am in public places, my laptop picks up neighboring shares, they don't bother me, I know they can't get to me and that's all I care.

opinio
Sep 3, 2013, 05:35 AM
You might want to run some 'interesting' video on your ipad and run it through airplay on their TV. :)

Cinephi1e
Sep 3, 2013, 09:51 AM
I thought you could not Airplay with an iPad 1.

Gjwilly
Sep 3, 2013, 11:45 AM
I thought you could not Airplay with an iPad 1.

You can if the individual app supports it.

FlatlinerG
Sep 3, 2013, 12:23 PM
I would triple check which network your Apple TV and iPad are connected to. If you changed the password, then before your iPad could ever see your own Apple TV, then you would have had to have reconnected with the new password on both your Apple TV and iPad.

Triple check, it never hurts.

mtking
Sep 3, 2013, 08:32 PM
How do you connect to the Internet? The Devices need to be on the same LAN so if whats on the other side of your wifi device is bridged to them you will see it.

Do you run another networking systems like Ethernet Over Powerlines?

I recommend powering down every other device on your wifi and see if you can still see it. I think Bonjour has a system that allows a device to advertise and respond on behalf of another one to allow devices to sleep. Maybe it's not really there.

Hi MorphMan,

After my post, I just started disabling all connections and devices and the apple TVs disappeared after removing the power over ethernet devices. I think they were never synced properly so re-synced and haven't seen the ATV's yet.

I was not aware that the ethernet over power could connect across houses if not secured properly.

Thanks also to everyone who gave their time and advice