Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys,

Does it bother anyone else that the sounds in iOS like keyboard taps, unlock etc still use the same effects as iOS 6 and below? They don't really match the new design language.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Hey guys,

Does it bother anyone else that the sounds in iOS like keyboard taps, unlock etc still use the same effects as iOS 6 and below? They don't really match the new design language.

One would image there would be new sounds and ringtones. You don't update your whole OS and forget about sound.

Dany M

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Earth
While they're at it they should change the phone icon. I mean what phone looks like that in 2013.

/sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
Now we need the sound of my little pony hoofs walking on the ground for every letter we type... wait, wouldn't this still be skeuomorphic?

Ah... It's incredible how iOS7 has made Apple users so divided about the new direction the company has taken... :(

Going back to the topic. They should keep the old sounds, but add new default ones that "match" the new design language. However, I don't think sound is something that people have ever been bothered about, that's probably why it remains untouched.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
Am i the only one who still likes skeuomorphic design better than than ironed ios 7 ? I just downgraded my 4 to ios 5.0.1 and I actually love the design even more than 6.1.3.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Hey guys,

Yep. No unlock sound since beta 5, so, I'm guessing that's Apple's way of saying, they have some new sounds to surprise us with. iOS 6 had no new sounds, so, it's time anyway. You can assign a sound for AirDrop. But, I don't know that they'll open it all up, but, I'd like to be able to change/customize key click sounds, text send/receive bubble sounds, all of it.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
I don't see much purpose in ridding some of the old-themed icons, like the phone icon with the mid 1900s handset. It's part of history, it's iconic. There's currently absolutely no reason to recreate new iconic symbols. It just creates confusion and harms an ideal globally recognisable set of symbols. It's important to remember our roots, we all know lots of history, and that's because it's an important subject of our species. As a species, we've made so much progress, and until the objects we use that feature as symbols radically change, then there's no reason to alter them. The phone still has a speaker at the top, and a microphone at the bottom. The icon is still relevant and will remain so for the next 50 years.

As for the keyboard-press sound, I see no problem with it. I do prefer the lower pitched Windows Phone keyboard-press sound though.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I don't see much purpose in ridding some of the old-themed icons, like the phone icon with the mid 1900s handset. It's part of history, it's iconic. There's currently absolutely no reason to recreate new iconic symbols. It just creates confusion and harms an ideal globally recognisable set of symbols. It's important to remember our roots, we all know lots of history, and that's because it's an important subject of our species. As a species, we've made so much progress, and until the objects we use that feature as symbols radically change, then there's no reason to alter them. The phone still has a speaker at the top, and a microphone at the bottom. The icon is still relevant and will remain so for the next 50 years.
OK... they didn't change it, they haven't proposed changing it, this thread isn't about changing it.

The phone icon is still green and depicts an old school handset.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
OK... they didn't change it, they haven't proposed changing it, this thread isn't about changing it.

The phone icon is still green and depicts an old school handset.

Are you saying it'd be more appropriate if it were something other than green?

I've never associated the green color of the icon with an old phone, I didn't know that old phones were green. Instead, I associate the green of the icon with 'communication' because 'Messages' is green too.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Hey guys,

What kind of sounds would match the design language?

I've already replaced many of the stock sounds with Portal 2 sounds... much more modern and sciencey.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Are you saying it'd be more appropriate if it were something other than green?

I've never associated the green color of the icon with an old phone, I didn't know that old phones were green. Instead, I associate the green of the icon with 'communication' because 'Messages' is green too.
No, I'm saying Apple hasn't deviated from historical norms.

The phone call button and icon has been a green handset since the earliest Nokia I can remember. And iOS7 didn't change even this.

2944674659_36af2760fd_z.jpg

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013

Indeed. Besides, what would you change it to? A modern phone looks like a rectangle with a large touch-screen. But that's also what your music player looks like. And your calendar. And your email device. And your camera.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey guys,

I think Apple did the right thing by leaving their signature sounds alone. Almost every one recognizes the Tri-tone text message sound, the vice grip unlock and lock sounds, the keyboard clicks and Marimba ring tone.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
While they're at it they should change the phone icon. I mean what phone looks like that in 2013.

/sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Wow, I just came up with the perfect idea for a new phone icon. It would be a little picture of an iPhone on your iPhone. It would have a phone icon on it too, so it would repeat infinitely! I've made a demo:

148mYYH.gif

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The sign for a phone is pretty much universal everywhere in the world - certainly everywhere I've travelled.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Import your own. Problem solved.

(ringtones) yes, we can import our own tones, I've even made my own from recording sounds, but not everything can be changed, so...

•these Apple will likely change: unlock/lock sounds, maybe some new ring tones, but, others maybe not.

Personally I would like to be able to be able to import my own/change all the sounds that we cannot:

•Unlock
•Lock
•Key click sounds
message bubble sounds: •send and •receive (while texting)
•camera click
video (and audio w/Voice Memos) recording •start/•stop sounds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.