PDA

View Full Version : New Sony QX 'Lens-Style' Cameras Revealed in Leaked Press Release, Will Retail for $250-$500

MacRumors
Sep 3, 2013, 01:17 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/03/new-sony-qx-lens-style-cameras-revealed-in-leaked-press-release-will-retail-for-250-500/)

Official specifications of Sony's new high-end lens-based smartphone-compatible cameras have been revealed in a press release that was accidentally leaked (via SonyAlphaRumors (http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/qx-lens-camers-press-release/)) ahead of tomorrow's unveiling.

As expected (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/16/upcoming-iphone-compatible-sony-lens-attachment-detailed-in-leaked-manual/) there are two different fully functional lens cameras that are designed to work in conjunction with a smartphone using a Wi-Fi connection and the newly introduced Sony PlayMemories app.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/camera2.jpg
When connected to a smartphone via the app, the camera turns the phone into a real-time viewfinder that is able to release the shutter, start/stop movie recordings, and adjust photographic settings.Merging the creative power of a premium compact camera with the convenience and connectivity of today's smartphones, Sony today introduced two "lens-style" QX series cameras that bring new levels of fun and creativity to the mobile photography experience.

The innovative Cyber-shot(TM) QX100 and QX10 models utilize Wi-Fi® connectivity to instantly transform a connected smartphone into a versatile, powerful photographic tool, allowing it to shoot high-quality images and full HD videos to rival a premium compact camera. It's an entirely new and different way for consumers to capture and share memories with friends and family.The press release contains full specs for the cameras, which include the higher-end DSC QX100 and the lower-end DSC QX10. While the QX100 supports manual use, the QX10 does not.

Sony's QX100 comes equipped with a 20-megapixel camera and an f/1.8-4.9 aperture, the QX10 has 18-megapixels and an f/3.3-5.9 aperture. The QX100 uses a Carl Zeiss lens with a 10.4 to 37.1mm focal length for better low light performance, while the QX10 features a standard Sony G lens with a 4.45 to 44.5mm focal length.

Both lenses attach to smartphones with a mechanically adjustable adapter, but they will maintain a smartphone connection even when held in a hand separately or mounted to a tripod. They also work as completely independent cameras, with both featuring a shutter release button, a memory card slot, and a rechargeable battery.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/camera1.jpg
The QX100 and QX10 will be available later this month from the Sony website (http://store.sony.com) *and will be priced at $500 and $250, respectively.

Article Link: New Sony QX 'Lens-Style' Cameras Revealed in Leaked Press Release, Will Retail for $250-$500 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/03/new-sony-qx-lens-style-cameras-revealed-in-leaked-press-release-will-retail-for-250-500/)

Menel
Sep 3, 2013, 01:23 PM
That is pretty incredible.

hot spare
Sep 3, 2013, 01:27 PM
0TWh3EvSZ_0

iBreatheApple
Sep 3, 2013, 01:27 PM
I want! I'm not even into photography but I need this.

guzhogi
Sep 3, 2013, 01:28 PM
looks pretty cool. I doubt I'll get it. The camera on my phone is good enough for the quick snapshot, plus I have a Sony Alpha 65 SLT camera for better stuff. If this lens thing is half as good as my SLT, it'l be really good.

Very Interesting concept.

BlazednSleepy
Sep 3, 2013, 01:33 PM
This is the kind of stuff I like to see from Sony. Looks amazing.

TMay
Sep 3, 2013, 01:35 PM
This is going to be a very disruptive product if Sony does in fact make it near effortless to interface with a smartphone (for me iPhone).

I like the fact that the lens module can be used independently of the smartphone up to some as yet unknown range. I especially favor the 1 inch imager as an excellent compromise of size over image IQ (I also have a Nikon V1).

I'll will be preordering the QX100 when I see it available on Amazon.

jonathanbaird
Sep 3, 2013, 01:38 PM
Good stuff, Sony. Now announce the full-frame NEX and/or the RX-1 successor. :D

sulpfiction
Sep 3, 2013, 01:39 PM
Wonder if it will be designed for the 5, and hang off a bit on the 4S.

Sky Blue
Sep 3, 2013, 01:43 PM
Does that save photos to the camera roll or a separate Sony app?

jreuschl
Sep 3, 2013, 01:44 PM
The QX100 is apparently the same as the much praised RX100 II, at a savings of $200.

Apparently they removed RAW support though.. :(

Tilpots
Sep 3, 2013, 01:44 PM
Way cool. Not in the market for it, but I love the idea of it.

Small White Car
Sep 3, 2013, 01:56 PM
Whether or not this product succeeds this is the future. Smartphones replaced dozens of other objects. Now it's time for the "things" to fight back by interfacing with our phones. Controlling a NEST thermostat is an early example, if somewhat limited and simple.

Kudos to Sony for pushing ahead and trying to lead everyone to the next big movement.

Radio
Sep 3, 2013, 02:00 PM
Yep

This is cool but wait for execution

Mousse
Sep 3, 2013, 02:01 PM
I want to know what how far away from the camera you can be and still control it. If it's less than 20 feet, I'll pass. I use a wireless trigger for my 20D (yeah, old school DSLR buddy). I would love to use this for wild life shots. A shutterless camera and remote control. No more spooking the birds with the gatling gun shutter on my 10 year old camera.:D

GoldenJoe
Sep 3, 2013, 02:02 PM
That's interesting, but I'm not sure I understand the purpose. Why would this be more desirable than buying a camera that is independent of your phone?

cube
Sep 3, 2013, 02:04 PM
Just buy a Galaxy S4 Zoom.

Madmic23
Sep 3, 2013, 02:05 PM

Looks like you need the separate Sony App to use it, but I'm sure it would allow you to save the photos to the camera roll once you've taken the photos. I think every camera app lets you do that.

nagromme
Sep 3, 2013, 02:14 PM
Strange as this product seems at first glance, I do sometimes wish for a way to have the full Internet-enabled photo-app ecosystem of my iPhone PLUS fully standalone-camera-quality zoom/telephoto. I'd carry it for nature hikes and special events, leave it home the rest of the time. Awaiting reviews!

spblat
Sep 3, 2013, 02:16 PM
That is really neato. I'm thinking about it as a camcorder replacement, for situations where my iPhone camera isn't quite good enough. The QX100 is supposed to have 10X optical zoom. I'd rather have 12X but if you can zoom and focus and adjust exposure while shooting using the app.......:cool:

inlinevolvo
Sep 3, 2013, 02:18 PM
I guess I don't see the innovation here. Innovative would have been if the standard camera on the smartphone could do this. Seems like it will fill a niche market. I paid 4 figures for my dSLR and wouldn't pay a hundred for this...

TaylorClark
Sep 3, 2013, 02:19 PM
I've been waiting for a camera like this for ages!

Hope it gets to the UK soon!

Edit: I thought it was an actual camera, not a lens that was stuck onto a phone... Maybe not then haha

djphat2000
Sep 3, 2013, 02:20 PM
I think Apple could improve on this idea. First things first, remove the "clip" or hanging of the camera off the body of the phone. This thing should be magsafe connected to the back "minus" any actual port to plug into. Meaning, you should be able to wave the phone over the lens and it just jumps on the back of the phone. Slidable from end to end of the phone just for comfort, and a safe release button on the lens to pop it off. Visually, the iPhone would look no different, but there would have to be some kind of magnetic connection to hold the lens. Also, the lenses would need to be very light (as much as possible), and Third parties would need to be able to sell there brand of lenses (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, etc).

The independence of the lens from the phone is SPOT on there. That's excellent, don't change that. However, I'm in favor of an even SMALLER solution. Currently the iPhones lens is good enough for snap shots. But without any optical zooming. It sucks for taking better shots. . Since the body of the phone doesn't really allow for much of that (really none), and of course putting any mechanical processes in the way would require even more space then the body would hold. How about we use the plug at the bottom of the iPhone for a perfectly fitting (long rectangular tube) lens system? I'm guessing the optical wouldn't be that much as far as zooming goes, but compared to now, its better then nothing, AND MUCH smaller (you could keep it plugged in to the phone). So no extra devices to carry around. Again, this would be open to third party solutions. The Lens would swivel on the lighting port plug end (somewhere in the middle), and have either a manual zoom twist in the body of the lens, or some software controlled feature of pinch to zoom, or double tap to zoom in.

If there are no other patents on this idea. I SAID IT FIRST!!!! :)

stiligFox
Sep 3, 2013, 02:25 PM
The only thing that has me worried here is that if it is connected via wifi, then that means disconnecting from my wifi hotspot, or router... I know you could use 3G if you're using a phone, but in my case I'm using an iPod touch.

macchiato2009
Sep 3, 2013, 02:30 PM
oh wow, finally, something good happens with Sony...

they released lots of toys these past years but they finally came up with something really good

they should give up smartphones because they are not good at it and focus on cameras

flux73
Sep 3, 2013, 02:35 PM
Interesting as a conceptual design, but it will never catch on as a mainstream product. These kinds of products are only for tech geeks with deep pockets.

j2004p
Sep 3, 2013, 02:39 PM
It's a very smart move, Sony have heard the death knell of the 'point and click' camera at the hands of the smartphone and realised that a connected camera which will go with you as you upgrade your phone would be a very disruptive product.

Excellent!

cambox
Sep 3, 2013, 02:53 PM
This is the future and I want it now! What a great idea and if it takes HD clear usable video they will mop up in the journalism sphere! Apple take a look at the future!

macnisse
Sep 3, 2013, 03:04 PM
Really cool tool = want it!

nick_elt
Sep 3, 2013, 03:13 PM
Just buy a Galaxy S4 Zoom.

are you joking or serious?

IJ Reilly
Sep 3, 2013, 03:14 PM
This is a pretty confusing article. What is the purpose of the bracket? Is it just to hold the lens on the phone when you don't want to hold it in your other hand? Both cameras seem to include a LCD display, so what's the purpose of the "connection" to the phone, especially since the camera has its own SD slot? Also, where the article says the more-expensive model "supports manual use" it seems to be referring to focus and aperture, but this isn't clear.

/dev/toaster
Sep 3, 2013, 03:26 PM
Sony's QX100 comes equipped with a 20-megapixel camera and an f/1.8-4.9 aperture, the QX10 has 18-megapixels and an f/3.3-5.9 aperture. The QX100 uses a Carl Zeiss lens with a 10.4 to 37.1mm focal length for better low light performance, while the QX10 features a standard Sony G lens with a 4.45 to 44.5mm focal length.

Focal length has nothing to do with low light. Aperture determines the amount of light reaching the sensor. The iPhone 5 has f/2.4 aperture lens which will be better at low light then a f/3.3.

The longer focal length will however help with more bokeh.

shinji
Sep 3, 2013, 03:26 PM
This is a pretty confusing article. What is the purpose of the bracket? Is it just to hold the lens on the phone when you don't want to hold it in your other hand? Both cameras seem to include a LCD display, so what's the purpose of the "connection" to the phone, especially since the camera has its own SD slot? Also, where the article says the more-expensive model "supports manual use" it seems to be referring to focus and aperture, but this isn't clear.

I don't see either camera having an LCD display? That's a Sony smartphone they're connecting it to in the video. The purpose of the connection to the phone is to give you a viewfinder, and yeah, so that you don't have to hold two things.

IJ Reilly
Sep 3, 2013, 03:55 PM
I don't see either camera having an LCD display? That's a Sony smartphone they're connecting it to in the video. The purpose of the connection to the phone is to give you a viewfinder, and yeah, so that you don't have to hold two things.

The spec sheet in the linked article says both cameras feature LCD displays. You're apparently supposed to be able to use the cameras apart from a phone, so it needs its own display. I don't see where it goes, considering the form factor, but it's supposed to be there. Must be very small.

As nearly as I can tell, this is a gimmick product. In the end it seems to be nothing more than a camera shaped like a lens that connects to an external display. It isn't even clear if you can save photos to the phone.

----------

Focal length has nothing to do with low light. Aperture determines the amount of light reaching the sensor. The iPhone 5 has f/2.4 aperture lens which will be better at low light then a f/3.3.

Yeah, that was just a mistake.

Battlefield Fan
Sep 3, 2013, 04:00 PM
Woah! Good job Sony. Now Apple needs to work out a partnership so everyone is happy. :D

afd
Sep 3, 2013, 04:18 PM
I was almost convinced that I needed one. Then I remembered I hate using cameras without viewfinders.

elppa
Sep 3, 2013, 04:37 PM
Interesting as a conceptual design, but it will never catch on as a mainstream product. These kinds of products are only for tech geeks with deep pockets.

That's what you could have said about iPod.

What's to say they won't get cheaper and better every year?

Dan--
Sep 3, 2013, 04:45 PM

Err, ah, mostly true... except that the focal length differences may imply a larger sensor in the QX100, and that of course would imply improved low light capability.

From elsewhere (http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4689074/sonys-qx10-and-qx100-lens-cameras-leaked-in-full): The QX100 has a 1-inch 20.2-megapixel Exmor R sensor and a f/1.8-4.9 Carl Zeiss lens.

The QX10 has a a 1/2.3-inch 18-megapixel sensor paired with an f/3.3-5.9 lens.

Jimmy James
Sep 3, 2013, 04:51 PM
People keep expecting full size camera performance from the pinky nail sized camera on their phone. I've long joked about the fact that Apple should just put a big detachable lens on the phone. I didn't think someone would actually do it. Kind of.

flux73
Sep 3, 2013, 05:12 PM
That's what you could have said about iPod.

What's to say they won't get cheaper and better every year?

For this to have widespread acceptance, you have to come up with a common "problem" that this form factor solves. What does this solve? Picky photographers will not accept the compromise in PQ just for slightly increased portability. Non-picky photographers would rather just use the smartphone camera because it's "good enough" without carrying around a second item that doesn't appear pocketable.

The iPod was entirely practical. It wasn't just the first form factor of its kind. It solved a problem - how you can carry around your entire music collection instead of having to plan ahead and downloading the limited number of songs you could listen to. All in a very pocketable form factor approximately the size of a cigarette pack. Every aspect of the iPod was designed to make your life simpler.

IJ Reilly
Sep 3, 2013, 05:21 PM
Err, ah, mostly true... except that the focal length differences may imply a larger sensor in the QX100, and that of course would imply improved low light capability.

From elsewhere (http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4689074/sonys-qx10-and-qx100-lens-cameras-leaked-in-full): The QX100 has a 1-inch 20.2-megapixel Exmor R sensor and a f/1.8-4.9 Carl Zeiss lens.

The max f-openings for the two lens were specified in the MR article and in the linked article, so nothing needed to be inferred about that particular aspect of the cameras.

PracticalMac
Sep 3, 2013, 05:29 PM
Sony make a QX app for iPhone (instead of Sony body), and sales go though the roof!

prowlmedia
Sep 3, 2013, 05:49 PM
This is the future and I want it now! What a great idea and if it takes HD clear usable video they will mop up in the journalism sphere! Apple take a look at the future!

Well, to be fair it's just a wireless camera lens. They have existed for years,
but this is a nice implementation.

You wouldn't even need a live HD video stream. You could have a low res stream as a viewfinder and Copy the HD across as you need it ( in the background )

Given it has a mounting point you could do some great Pole shots etc. Guess we'll find out more tomorrow.

nutmac
Sep 3, 2013, 05:57 PM
Sony will be releasing a case for iPhone 5 (which I presume will work with 5S also), negating the need for bracket attachment.

Lack of RAW and 1080p60 video recording would probably upset prosumers, the very market that would embrace these products the most. At the very least, Sony should announce and add RAW support via firmware upgrade.

Sony should offer API for 3rd party developers, to usher in better iOS and OS X apps. Their PlayMemories (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/playmemories-mobile/id489191124?mt=8) app, which is presumably the app that would be updated to work with QX lenses, look awful.

I would like to see fixed focal length (prime) lens version, ideally at f/1.4 35mm.

nutmac
Sep 3, 2013, 06:22 PM
The iPhone 5 has f/2.4 aperture lens which will be better at low light then a f/3.3.

Only if the image sensors are identical or similarly. I assume QX100's 1" image sensor is much more sensitive and therefore show far less noise and artifacts under low light than iPhone 5's 1/3.2" (0.3125") image sensor, even with slower lens. That is of course, assuming accompanying iOS app lets you specify ISO speed and what not.

sentiblue
Sep 3, 2013, 08:10 PM
I wonder if any of you guys have deeper config details on this thing?

My question is... the wifi source is coming from the lens/smartphone, or is it from an actual access point (third device)?

Reason I asked is that lots of times you shoot photos outdoors. Wifi won't be available there...

weing
Sep 3, 2013, 08:45 PM
I've certainly been wrong before but this seems like the most retarded idea of all-time to me. Spend 500 bucks on a lens/sensor assembly that's only one phone generation away from sitting in your junk drawer when you could probably buy a 100 buck point and shoot that will take better pics without pounding away on the iPhone screen for day and half to change a friggin' shooting setting.
Sure. Sign me up!

nannyg
Sep 3, 2013, 09:05 PM
Wifi isn't an issue. The lens and the phone communicate via bluetooth.

No, the lens does not have a display of it's own. That would be pointless. It is meant to attach to the back of the phone - the phone acting as display and as controller. As it stands now, even good quality camera bodies are little more than a sensor, a computer, display, and controls. It makes some sense to let a smartphone be the computer, display, and controls if the sensor can be embedded on the back of the lens.

people have a point about this product potentially having trouble finding an audience. As you say, enthusiasts won't accept it and non-enthusiasts will live with the phone's built-in camera.

On the other hand, lots of people are buying Sony's RX100 for $700 and loving it. This has the same sensor and very similar lens - and as all photographers in the digital age know, it's all about the sensor and the lens. So if I were someone interested in an RX100, it makes perfect sense to use this instead, with the phone already in your pocket. The lens can just stay in your jacket pocket or whatever when you are not using it.

By the way, phone cameras may seem amazing, but the 1" sensor here is approximately 20 TIMES the surface area. The image quality (to anyone savvy enough to notice) would be a huge improvement, especially when viewing them via some other format than Facebook...

----------

I've certainly been wrong before but this seems like the most retarded idea of all-time to me. Spend 500 bucks on a lens/sensor assembly that's only one phone generation away from sitting in your junk drawer when you could probably buy a 100 buck point and shoot that will take better pics without pounding away on the iPhone screen for day and half to change a friggin' shooting setting.
Sure. Sign me up!

I don't know any details, but it seems obvious to me that the lens attaches via a phone case that is low-tech and simple to manufacture in any number of sizes and styles. You change phones, and IF you need a different size case for that new phone, you simply buy another from Sony in the size/brand you need. Probably no more than $29. The lens is still fully functional after you change phones, assuming your new phone supports the app and sony makes the case that fits.

kenetic
Sep 3, 2013, 09:40 PM
So let me get this straight, i need both hands to take pictures? Two items can be detach.

Zaqfalcon
Sep 3, 2013, 10:09 PM

A shorter zoom range permits a greater maximum aperture therefore better low light performance.

You can choose a large zoom range or a fast lens, you can't have both. Not unless you're prepared for it to be very large, very heavy and very expensive e.g. 70-200 2.8 zooms.

olowott
Sep 3, 2013, 11:12 PM
Love the idea, will have to put this into my list of cool toys for christmas:cool:

PrimeMatrix
Sep 4, 2013, 12:40 AM

I would love for it to save to the camera roll, at least as an option. Or be able to transfer it from the designated app to the camera roll. The only reason I don't take more pictures with my "professional" cameras, is that I usually need/want to share my photos instantly, instead of going home/inside, and downloading them from the camera card... This has a huge potential for helping me out.

APlotdevice
Sep 4, 2013, 12:53 AM
I hope it doesn't take too long for someone to hack together a control interface for MacOS.

Ice-Cube
Sep 4, 2013, 01:41 AM
Pretty awesome. My last Sony product was a MD player, this will add nicely to my collection.

macs4nw
Sep 4, 2013, 04:00 AM
So, it's not only Apple, who can't control leaks…..lol

VulchR
Sep 4, 2013, 05:37 AM
Interesting idea, but I am not sure how well it will work. It might be difficult to aim and operate the lens and the viewfinder on the iPhone simultaneously if they are physically aligned.

92jlee
Sep 4, 2013, 06:35 AM
I love the idea of this but I hope it can do video, sort of like a go pro but using your phone as the display to line it up. I've got a 600D and tonnes of lenses so can't justify if its only for photos.

Daze & Confuse
Sep 4, 2013, 06:35 AM
If you want something similar on your iPhone, you can do the whole remote viewfinder, shutter release, etc. with a GoPro Hero 3 and their free app.

It has 2 main downsides that I wonder if Sony will be able to overcome:

Viewfinder lag.

Battery life on the camera when transmitting to phone.

AppleMark
Sep 4, 2013, 07:04 AM
YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0TWh3EvSZ_0)

At 0:30 of the video, the word 'Perv-Cam' involuntarily sprang into my mind...

Not sure if it was because he was taking a photo of a 'Puss-E[cat]' or the way in which he took it.... ;)

Gemütlichkeit
Sep 4, 2013, 08:28 AM
This is brilliant for travel. However there are some questions that haven't been answered yet.

1) how's the battery life?

2) do you NEED the smart phone out to take pictures or just use as viewfinder? I'd rather have a simple glass view finder on the lens rather than having to drain my phone battery every time i wanted to take a picture.

While traveling I still use a point and shoot camera for it's quick shots and compact design. It uses it's own battery and doesn't drain my phone. I'd love to get one of these devices but there are just some limitations that still make me want to keep my point and shoot.

theluggage
Sep 4, 2013, 08:38 AM
That's interesting, but I'm not sure I understand the purpose. Why would this be more desirable than buying a camera that is independent of your phone?

With a modern smartphone you've got a large, high-res display for viewfinder and preview, a shedload of storage, mobile data access (and pre-configured links to your cloud/social networking/email accounts) as well as enough CPU power to do basic photo editing. This is far more power than you get on the typical stand-alone camera - and if you've already got that power in your pocket, why duplicate the functionality on a camera, when you could get a "smart lens" that just links to your phone?

Also, I think digital photography is now a bit more mature than smartphones - so a system like this could survive several smartphone updates.

I guess I don't see the innovation here. Innovative would have been if the standard camera on the smartphone could do this. Seems like it will fill a niche market. I paid 4 figures for my dSLR and wouldn't pay a hundred for this...

The quality of the built-in camera on a smartphone is always going to be limited by the small sensor & small lens, leading to poor low-light performance, limited zoom, inability to control depth-of-field etc. While sensor technology may improve, there's no substitute for a decent bit of glass on the front. A smartphone with a decent lens is always going to be too bulky.

Then there's the more practical aspects: smartphone camera lenses are ground zero for fingerprints, dust and scratches. With this, you only get the camera part out when you are "doing photography" sparing it the day-to-day wear and tear.

I agree, though - what would be interesting would be doing this with a DSLR- or Bridge- class body that offered a head-and-shoulders improvement over the phonecam, rather than what looks like a "compact" class lens.

cube
Sep 4, 2013, 10:13 AM
are you joking or serious?

Of course it's not a joke. Why would you think that?

JAT
Sep 4, 2013, 10:50 AM
I hope it doesn't take too long for someone to hack together a control interface for MacOS.

Why? For 'real' cameras we have this already on both Mac and Win. This quirky solution is meant to be extremely portable. Even with an MBA, that would kinda defeat the purpose.

TMay
Sep 4, 2013, 10:54 AM
With a modern smartphone you've got a large, high-res display for viewfinder and preview, a shedload of storage, mobile data access (and pre-configured links to your cloud/social networking/email accounts) as well as enough CPU power to do basic photo editing. This is far more power than you get on the typical stand-alone camera - and if you've already got that power in your pocket, why duplicate the functionality on a camera, when you could get a "smart lens" that just links to your phone?

Also, I think digital photography is now a bit more mature than smartphones - so a system like this could survive several smartphone updates.

The quality of the built-in camera on a smartphone is always going to be limited by the small sensor & small lens, leading to poor low-light performance, limited zoom, inability to control depth-of-field etc. While sensor technology may improve, there's no substitute for a decent bit of glass on the front. A smartphone with a decent lens is always going to be too bulky.

Then there's the more practical aspects: smartphone camera lenses are ground zero for fingerprints, dust and scratches. With this, you only get the camera part out when you are "doing photography" sparing it the day-to-day wear and tear.

I agree, though - what would be interesting would be doing this with a DSLR- or Bridge- class body that offered a head-and-shoulders improvement over the phonecam, rather than what looks like a "compact" class lens.

It's a 1 inch imager which is real quite large relative to the imager in an iPhone. On the other hand, I can use WiFi quite successfully with a D3200 and an iPhone, but that's a lot more bulk and weight than the QX100.

Always tradeoffs.

APlotdevice
Sep 4, 2013, 11:53 AM
Why? For 'real' cameras we have this already on both Mac and Win. This quirky solution is meant to be extremely portable. Even with an MBA, that would kinda defeat the purpose.

It's a wireless camera. With a tripod mount no less. This could be an awesome tool for serious photographers, ESPECIALLY if it can be connected to a computer.

flottenheimer
Sep 4, 2013, 01:50 PM
I think Apple could improve on this idea ... This thing should be magsafe connected to the back "minus" any actual port to plug into. Meaning, you should be able to wave the phone over the lens and it just jumps on the back of the phone. Slidable from end to end of the phone just for comfort, and a safe release button on the lens to pop it off.

Wouldn't a magnet stong enough to hold a lens like this seriously interfere with the phone signal? Not to mention cling on to the keys in your pocket and every other piece of metal your phone comes close to.

/dev/toaster
Sep 4, 2013, 02:40 PM
A shorter zoom range permits a greater maximum aperture therefore better low light performance.

You can choose a large zoom range or a fast lens, you can't have both. Not unless you're prepared for it to be very large, very heavy and very expensive e.g. 70-200 2.8 zooms.

Well sure, but the point of my post is that aperture is what defines better low light. You want a faster lens. How you achieve that faster lens is a whole different story. The article was misleading.

Side note: I own a Canon 70-200 f/2.8. Incredible lens and damn heavy. I thought my 180mm macro was heavy until I spent a few days carrying the 70-200. Now I pick up my 180mm macro and laugh at how light it is LOL.

djphat2000
Sep 4, 2013, 03:17 PM
Wouldn't a magnet stong enough to hold a lens like this seriously interfere with the phone signal? Not to mention cling on to the keys in your pocket and every other piece of metal your phone comes close to.

One of the reasons I said the lens would have to be REALLY light.
Also, the magsafe connector on the Macbook's, to me seem strong enough to hold a lens like the one Sony has made. Again, its just has to be strong enough to hold it in place. Not sure what the weight would have to fall under to be good enough to hold. But, I don't think (after just testing with Magsafe on my MacBook Pro 17"), it would attract your keys that much. But, just as a safety. Maybe it would require being next to or near the camera lens before the magnets turned on. I'm sure that would a technological challenge. But, screw it, why not try!

Giuly
Sep 4, 2013, 04:10 PM
This is going to be a very disruptive product if Sony does in fact make it near effortless to interface with a smartphone (for me iPhone).

I like the fact that the lens module can be used independently of the smartphone up to some as yet unknown range. I especially favor the 1 inch imager as an excellent compromise of size over image IQ (I also have a Nikon V1).

I'll will be preordering the QX100 when I see it available on Amazon.

They're available already for pre-order today, shipping September 27th: Black (http://amzn.to/17vsb9Z), White/Champagne (http://amzn.to/1fzSIIf) and the uber DSC-QX100 (http://amzn.to/1dHO5iQ).

But good luck with that, I'd rather wait for the price to settle and order it after the 27th.
Due to high demand we anticipate being unable to fulfill all customer orders with our first allocation. Product supply from Sony is very limited. Your place in line will be maintained, and we will not charge your credit card until we ship the product.

Also, if you intend to take lots of photos, a Micro SD card (http://amzn.to/1fA1xlc) might be in order.

bnnentertainmen
Sep 4, 2013, 04:12 PM
incredible! definitely getting this one. first true use of the NFC

nick_elt
Sep 4, 2013, 05:23 PM
Woah! Good job Sony. Now Apple needs to work out a partnership so everyone is happy. :D

It already works with ios there is a vid on engadget with him using his iphone with it

hanser
Sep 5, 2013, 06:09 AM
When this will be available for the iPad, I am in!

mirffy
Sep 5, 2013, 06:40 AM
While I applaud Sony for heading into this field, there's been a similar design concept floating round since 2011:
http://www.artefactgroup.com/wvil/
http://vimeo.com/22134219