Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
So I took the Mac Pro into Apple to get fixed.

Before I did so I ensured I did a final Time Machine backup.

I even entered time machine, via the "star wars" Time machine screen and I was able see all of my backups going back 15 months.

So far so good......

Apple called as asked if they could wipe my hard drive as part of their tests. I said yes because I have a Time Machine backup.

Now I have the machine back and no matter how I try it will not restore from the Time Machine backup.

I have tried the following:

Installed ML and tried to restore the user account. It fails saying it can't restore the applications.
Tried again just to restore the account. It locks up, stalls or fails at the end.
Re-formatted HD and tried to recover the system from about 6 different restore points. Says restore failed.
Repaired Time Machine disk using Disk Utility. Tried all the above again. Fails
No error codes given at any point.

I am out of ideas.

If the backup was corrupt, why was it functioning normally before I took my Mac to Apple?

Is there anything else you can suggest that I can try to restore my files?

ricede

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Inside
Is there anything else you can suggest that I can try to restore my files?

Open Applcations/Utilities on your mac & double click on Migration Assistant. Follow the instructions,

You should also be able to drag files directly ( from the backups.backup folder on your ext HD ) into the user folder of your new install. Obviously this only applies to files from the backup of your Home/User folder.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Resolved!!!

The hard drive (Crucial SSD) was faulty. Apparently a known firmware problem after 5000 hours of use unless you are running the latest firmware.

Thanks for all your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.