PDA

View Full Version : September 10 Apple TV rumours

the8thark
Sep 3, 2013, 11:01 PM
Possible Apple TV update at September 10 keynote

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/03/apple-taking-shipments-of-set-top-boxes-hints-at-new-apple-tv-product

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/03/apple-tv-likely-on-its-way-for-a-september-10-launch/

http://panjiva.com/blog/2013/09/03/its-not-an-iphone

- On August 25th, Apple received a shipment described as “Set Top Box with Communication Function” from BYD Precision Manufacture in Shenzhen, China.
- On August 18th, Apple received another shipment, again from BYD, described as “Set Top Boxes.”
- And on August 11th, Apple received its first shipment from BYD of “Set Top Box with Communication Function.
- MacRumors, which follows the device release schedules pretty closely, points out that Apple typically updates Apple TV devices every 377 days, so from that perspective it is long overdue for a makeover.
Other rumour sites are quoting MacRumors.
- Apple recently cut prices of refurbished Apple TV to $75.
- About a year and a half ago, news broke that BYD was a new supplier to Apple.
- The August 25th shipment weighed 16,628 kilograms.
- The August 18th shipment also weighed 16,628 kilograms
- The August 11th shipment weighed 7,044 kilograms.

ZeRoLiMiT
Sep 3, 2013, 11:17 PM
maybe a new appletv with some storage and xbmc?

Bryan Bowler
Sep 4, 2013, 12:57 AM
Yes! My fingers are crossed! I just bought my first 1080p TV a month ago (I haven't owned a TV for 15 years) and I was holding out on buying an Apple TV until the fall product announcements were made. Just a weak rumor at this moment in time, but we'll see soon! And don't worry folks...if an update is not announced, I'll simply buy the current version and start enjoying it. It is just $100 you know...

Bryan

Che Castro
Sep 4, 2013, 01:13 AM

I don't care about storage that's gonna make it cost more , plus an apple hardrive cost more than a regular drive

USB ports would be enough , and also not have iTunes running on the pc

mrmarts
Sep 4, 2013, 02:02 AM
I'am buying my Apple TV not from an Apple store as its on sale with 10 bucks off, i will keep it in shrink wrap with the receipt and if something worthy surfaces on the 10 i will return it for a refund. Should nothing spawn from Apples den on the 10, i will keep it as my movie collection is already at 500gb so I cannot be bothered to wait anymore.

For me it would be a big deal if Apple makes their next gen box ultra hd compatible and brings back storage in flash, otherwise some minor hardware tweaks (better processor and wifi protocal ) and software tweaks (app store) will not lure me in. I am also confident if apple brings the app store to their next gen box they release a update for users who use the current gen. But this is not much of a big deal as you can use airplay to stream your apps and games.

I also cannot see myself using the app store on my Apple TV, as I primarily use my Nintendo WII U and Playstation 3 for games. Games from the app store are great on small screen, but you cannot compare Real racing to Gran Turismo or the upcoming Oceanhorn to Legend of Zelda.

One more thing an Apple TV is different in the sense we all update our Macs, iPhones and iPads for better performance, storage or better/larger screens. However with an Apple TV as long as it can stream your itunes content and connect to the net its purpose simply ends there unless you jailbreak.

anewman143
Sep 4, 2013, 08:13 AM
I guess I don't understand the need for local storage - would just increase it's size and cost. Everything streams (in my house anyway) effortlessly to my 2 ATV's (3rd gen) without a hitch. I leave my iMac with iTunes running anyway, so it's no hassle.

Is there another angle to this that I am missing? What do people see being added to the next gen ATV that is currently missing?

Seems like it works exactly as it should right now...

My $0.02 anyway

otisg
Sep 4, 2013, 08:15 AM

The Apple TV will NEVER have XBMC unless it is jailbroken or given an App Store.

Even if either or both of those two things occur, they will be overshadowed by whatever Apple does next with Apple TV, which is bound to include something (at least a little) revolutionary.

barkomatic
Sep 4, 2013, 08:46 AM
For me its not so much about the hardware--though updates are always nice. I'd love to have even more channels become available--as long as they aren't tied to a full on cable subscription. I'm very willing to pay for content. I know that an HBO Go app that I could subscribe to on its own is a pipe dream right now--but that would be great.

A TWC app is rumored, but will still require a cable subscription--totally useless.

whoiare
Sep 4, 2013, 08:51 AM
Id just love it if they changed the software to have more sorting options and to actually MAKE SENSE. Going into "computers" to watch something on my local itunes server makes NO SENSE. Furthermore, the way in which you sort movies is ridiculous. This is the only thing i miss about XBMC. the ability to sort by rating, date added, year, etc. And to be able to click on an actor and see what other movies they are in. Same goes for tv shows and all its sorting. These are the only things IMO that the apple tv needs changing.

Gjwilly
Sep 4, 2013, 08:57 AM
I guess I don't understand the need for local storage - would just increase it's size and cost. Everything streams (in my house anyway) effortlessly to my 2 ATV's (3rd gen) without a hitch. I leave my iMac with iTunes running anyway, so it's no hassle.

That's why local storage is desired.
Having to leave an other computer running is simply silly.
It might not be a hassle but it is still silly.
Especially in an age of networked storage.
Provide local storage or provide NAS support.

Lancetx
Sep 4, 2013, 10:32 AM
I'd just like another nice software update with even more additional channels added (SHO Anytime please!). Hopefully we'll see one when iOS 7 is released here in a couple of weeks.

Lord Hamsa
Sep 4, 2013, 11:03 AM

It's less silly than it used to be, in the sense that since Lion, the computer can be in a "sleep" state and still serve file requests and similar operations without powering up the monitor or other peripherals.

That said, I've love to see a solution that allows the ATV to directly access an iTunes library stored on an NAS or similar device.

Chad McCan
Sep 4, 2013, 11:10 AM
There is no reason why it shouldn't be able to connect to a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme with additional storage, without iTunes running on another computer.

For that matter, I should be able to buy something on iTunes and have it download directly to my Time Capsule, instead of the computer I'm buying it from.

Also, add Safari or some other browser. Quit yankin my chain...

cxc273
Sep 4, 2013, 02:25 PM
If it's a new device, I doubt on board storage is going to be a part of it. The trend is towards streaming media.

I wonder if they might be adding games or maybe something to do with Siri?

Prototypical
Sep 4, 2013, 02:26 PM
Just saw this somewhere else, but another interesting rumor: FaceTime + hardware camera / microphone. The mic could be built into the remote, and the camera could be integrated or wired to the AppleTV. Being able to FT from my couch, using my 60" LED TV as a replacement for my iPhone or iPad would be fantastic.

anewman143
Sep 4, 2013, 02:52 PM

Leaving a computer on is silly, but having the ATV have it's own storage or an NAS is any less so? So what happens? All my content that I download/purchase is stored on the NAS...so my computer(s) and ATV's can access it...so either way, still streaming, whether from my iMac or NAS. 6 of one?

andymodem
Sep 4, 2013, 03:33 PM
If all they changed was better sorting options for browsing through my library, and enabled 24p output, I would immediately order 3 of them.

whsbuss
Sep 4, 2013, 07:16 PM
As much as I like the look of the remote its not very functional. I wish they provide an app for the iPhone iPad and iPod to function as a remote. Would sure make searching much easier.

Sky Blue
Sep 4, 2013, 07:24 PM
As much as I like the look of the remote its not very functional. I wish they provide an app for the iPhone iPad and iPod to function as a remote. Would sure make searching much easier.

err... they do? it's been out since the dawn of the app store pretty much.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8

If it gets updated, it'll probably be a small spec bump.

ekrueger24
Sep 4, 2013, 08:37 PM
This is certainly interesting and, at least to me, out of left field. Makes me personally wonder what will be enough to make me upgrade my ATV (3rd gen). Someone mentioned FaceTime... that may be interesting. Considering Apple has been trying to integrate all of their products and features across all platforms, it would make sense for them to add FaceTime (and possibly iMessage) in the future. Maybe this potential revision?

Granted, to make using iMessage on the Apple TV more effective and not rage inducing with entering text using the remote, a person would just use the remote app from their iPhone or iPad. Which, if they did that, could just as easily use the Messages app found natively on their phone or iPad.

bozzykid
Sep 4, 2013, 10:33 PM
If it's a new device, I doubt on board storage is going to be a part of it. The trend is towards streaming media.

They definitely need to increase the flash storage and RAM if they want to support games. Right now it is pretty limited. But, like you said, they aren't going to add user accessible storage. That is the opposite direction they are going.

m1key
Sep 5, 2013, 12:53 AM
I really don't see why people want storage on the Apple TV (unless they add some kind of extra functionality like an app store). Do you really want to pay an extra apple premium for an HD? The price point is already where it needs to be. Plus I think the focus is streaming media. Anyways, a USB port would be ideal and more efficient, you could hook up your external hard drive to it and forget about it (this will never happen though)! Until then I'll be sticking to my mini display port to hdmi adaptor + xbmc on my macbook pro.

mrmarts
Sep 5, 2013, 06:18 AM
I really don't see why people want storage on the Apple TV (unless they add some kind of extra functionality like an app store). Do you really want to pay an extra apple premium for an HD? The price point is already where it needs to be. Plus I think the focus is streaming media. Anyways, a USB port would be ideal and more efficient, you could hook up your external hard drive to it and forget about it (this will never happen though)! Until then I'll be sticking to my mini display port to hdmi adaptor + xbmc on my macbook pro.

Flash storage would be great to store and load movies rather than streaming them.

HobeSoundDarryl
Sep 5, 2013, 08:28 AM
m1key's way is THE way (IMO). Apple couldn't possibly choose the right amount of onboard flash storage. No matter what they picked, it would be too small for those hungry for local storage and a complete waste for those content with streaming: "why should I pay for storage I'll never use?".

THE way would be to normalize that USB port and allow those interested in local storage to attach however much storage they want. If they want SSD/Flash, they can choose that. If they want hard drive or RAID, they can choose that. 500GB or 5TB or more or less- whatever works for each person... without forcing the added cost of local storage on anyone.

Another way would be to turn on NAS options. Interested users could store their media on a NAS drive and :apple:TV could stream it from there. Since this would be software, no one would be paying for hardware changes they'll never use. And again, this would give each interested user the ability to have whatever amount of NAS storage they want.

I owned the 1st gen and miss the local storage. That one could be hacked to make it's USB port work with large external drives of up to at least 2GB. It was great to have that option. Some homes aren't stocked with multiple computers and laptops are increasingly becoming the "home" computer (too). When that laptop leaves the house, the :apple:TV cannot access the home's own media. That's a big reason to include a local storage option.

Big storage is cheap and getting cheaper. Apple used to offer local storage on an :apple:TV. There's already a USB port built into the current :apple:TV but it is gimped by design. There's a good segment that wants local storage (but another that thinks streaming is THE way) so normalizing that USB port could give both groups exactly what they want. Win for the crowd that thinks it's stupid. Win for the crowd that thinks it's essential. Win for Apple because it would sell more units to that latter group.

Ceebler
Sep 5, 2013, 08:59 AM
Win for the crowd that thinks it's essential. Win for Apple because it would sell more units to that latter group.

You may think it is a win for Apple because it sells more units, but they may see it as a losing proposition as it might eat into their iTunes and iCloud sales/rentals/income.

Lord Hamsa
Sep 5, 2013, 10:18 AM
You may think it is a win for Apple because it sells more units, but they may see it as a losing proposition as it might eat into their iTunes and iCloud sales/rentals/income.

Can't see how. Apple's own recommendation is to download all purchases and back them up yourself, in case they ever become unavailable in the store. You're also not going to sell a lot of units by telling the people most likely to use it that they can't use their own libraries.

Yes, it works as-is, but it's a hacky kludge to have to introduce a third device into the mix, just to act as the iTunes client. Build the client into ATV (it's running iOS anyway, this shouldn't be rocket science to do, and the chip it uses is more than capable of handling the workload), enable the USB port, and allow the ATV owner to point the iTunes client to an external or network drive where the actual library resides. Then you cut out the otherwise unnecessary third device from the communication chain.

It's that simple. And iIt doesn't require any extra on-board storage, or even a form-factor change; it should just be software and firmware as the ATV is already networked and it has the USB port, just disabled.

iOrbit
Sep 5, 2013, 02:25 PM
i'd be happy with:

App Store / SDK Release

Updated and improved software.

A new improved remote that could be used to play games or work with exciting apps that demand more than what the current apple tv remote can offer - or atleast let iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone be supported remote devices i.e. as a keypad/ trackpad / etc

Aluminium Unibody again

24fps playback and or any other Supports (DTS etc)

m1key
Sep 5, 2013, 04:42 PM
Flash storage would be great to store and load movies rather than streaming them.

I believe that anyone that has used an apple tv would attest to the fact that streaming your movies to it work great and good enough even for HD. I sympathize with the option to have it -- but again, it would be silly to have it on board, it would be much more efficient to have a usb port for it where you can attach a external hd to it.

Exactly. This is all about apple trying to make money from itunes. That's why I said it would never happen :)

----------

Can't see how. Apple's own recommendation is to download all purchases and back them up yourself, in case they ever become unavailable in the store. You're also not going to sell a lot of units by telling the people most likely to use it that they can't use their own libraries.

Yes, it works as-is, but it's a hacky kludge to have to introduce a third device into the mix, just to act as the iTunes client. Build the client into ATV (it's running iOS anyway, this shouldn't be rocket science to do, and the chip it uses is more than capable of handling the workload), enable the USB port, and allow the ATV owner to point the iTunes client to an external or network drive where the actual library resides. Then you cut out the otherwise unnecessary third device from the communication chain.

It's that simple. And iIt doesn't require any extra on-board storage, or even a form-factor change; it should just be software and firmware as the ATV is already networked and it has the USB port, just disabled.

You are missing the point that iTunes isn't the only place where you can get your media.

Shearwater
Sep 5, 2013, 04:46 PM

Is there another angle to this that I am missing? What do people see being added to the next gen ATV that is currently missing?

My $0.02 anyway

Totally agree...what is the obsession with asking for storage?

eecyclone
Sep 5, 2013, 08:31 PM

My $0.02 anyway

When the ATV 2 first came out I had 2 ATV's. I thought not having built in storage would be a deal breaker. But it turns out that it is much easier to manage what I am watching on the ATV's, and everything is always in sync. I just leave my mac mini server on 24/7 (which it was anyway), and now I don't have to worry about managing media on the devices like I used to, and like I still do on my iPhone. Now that I think about it, maybe I need to try iTunes Match so I won't have to manage my phone as much.

linds15
Sep 5, 2013, 09:08 PM
When the ATV 2 first came out I had 2 ATV's. I thought not having built in storage would be a deal breaker. But it turns out that it is much easier to manage what I am watching on the ATV's, and everything is always in sync. I just leave my mac mini server on 24/7 (which it was anyway), and now I don't have to worry about managing media on the devices like I used to, and like I still do on my iPhone. Now that I think about it, maybe I need to try iTunes Match so I won't have to manage my phone as much.

for me itunes match is worth the 25 a year just to never have to sync my music to my phone, let alone all the other benefits

Lord Hamsa
Sep 6, 2013, 07:12 AM
You are missing the point that iTunes isn't the only place where you can get your media.

I agree that I don't get the point of fragmenting your library. I have tons of music and movies in my iTunes that I ripped from disc, and very little purchased from the iTunes store - mostly music I've collected for free via promotions (I do so miss the old Pepsi/iTunes promotion) and movies I've downloaded as digital copies of discs I purchased.

But all of my stuff works in iTunes, so why would I want a second place to store part of my library, especially when I also want to sync my library contents to my iPhone? Sounds needlessly complicated to me.

Plus, we're talking about ATV and what it will support - there's no reason to suspect that Apple would change it to support anything other than an iTunes library.

tonyr6
Sep 6, 2013, 05:41 PM
Getting rid of my Roku 3 which is terrible for Netflix and ended up going back to the PS3. I heard good things about the Apple TV and Netflix so I am waiting to see if they are going to announce a new Apple TV. I want to buy one so bad but I will wait.

whsbuss
Sep 6, 2013, 06:55 PM
Getting rid of my Roku 3 which is terrible for Netflix and ended up going back to the PS3. I heard good things about the Apple TV and Netflix so I am waiting to see if they are going to announce a new Apple TV. I want to buy one so bad but I will wait.

Well doesn't look like the rumor of a new ATV will happen on Tuesday. Check the rumors forum.

bozzykid
Sep 6, 2013, 08:27 PM
I heard good things about the Apple TV and Netflix

Where did you hear that? I think the Netflix app on Apple TV is one of the worst Netflix experiences that exists today. Browsing is slow and the main interface is nothing but a text-based menu. Playing videos works fine of course but the UI is pretty bad.

otisg
Sep 6, 2013, 09:13 PM
or atleast let iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone be supported remote devices i.e. as a keypad/ trackpad / etc

This is already part of the Remote app that has been available from Apple for quite awhile...

----------

Where did you hear that? I think the Netflix app on Apple TV is one of the worst Netflix experiences that exists today. Browsing is slow and the main interface is nothing but a text-based menu. Playing videos works fine of course but the UI is pretty bad.

I disagree whole-heartedly. Netflix on Apple TV has the BEST interface I've seen for Netflix on ANY device. It is not merely text based. It has logical and simple layout with pleasing graphics, provides good recommendations, and is easy to navigate.

What exactly do you consider to be a superior Netflix device experience?

bozzykid
Sep 7, 2013, 10:00 AM
I disagree whole-heartedly. Netflix on Apple TV has the BEST interface I've seen for Netflix on ANY device. It is not merely text based. It has logical and simple layout with pleasing graphics, provides good recommendations, and is easy to navigate.

What exactly do you consider to be a superior Netflix device experience?

Easy to navigate? Ther HTML5 app that they use on most platforms lets you browse all the different categories, your queue (my list), search, etc all from the main interface. You don't have to dig into different categories. Discovery of content is almost impossible on the aTV compared to their normal interface. Maybe you can get use to the interface if you use it all the time but comparing it to the HTML5 interface makes it seem like it was designed in 1990.

PNutts
Sep 7, 2013, 05:57 PM
Easy to navigate? Ther HTML5 app that they use on most platforms lets you browse all the different categories, your queue (my list), search, etc all from the main interface. You don't have to dig into different categories. Discovery of content is almost impossible on the aTV compared to their normal interface. Maybe you can get use to the interface if you use it all the time but comparing it to the HTML5 interface makes it seem like it was designed in 1990.

Comparing HTML5 to Apple TV. Well that's... "Interesting". I've used Netflix on a number of different "set top" devices (dvd players, smart TVs, etc.) and Apple's implementation beats them all. Heck, I don't even know if Apple developed it or Netflix handed it to them. I don't find that interesting. All I know is if you compare apples to apples (ha), Netflix on ATV is a good experience.

bozzykid
Sep 8, 2013, 05:11 PM
Comparing HTML5 to Apple TV. Well that's... "Interesting". I've used Netflix on a number of different "set top" devices (dvd players, smart TVs, etc.) and Apple's implementation beats them all. Heck, I don't even know if Apple developed it or Netflix handed it to them. I don't find that interesting. All I know is if you compare apples to apples (ha), Netflix on ATV is a good experience.

I'm not talking about 3 year old DVD players. Try using the HTML5 app on Google TV or on the latest TiVo. It is light years ahead of Apple TV in terms of navigation and discoverability.

HobeSoundDarryl
Sep 9, 2013, 06:13 PM
I'm seeing 2 or 3 rumors about new iPhones having video camera frame rates >30fps. I've seen 60fps and even 120fps rumors. 120 would imply some slow motion capture capabilities so I can imagine some plausibility to those rumors.

Anyone think that flexible frame rates could make it to the :apple:TV? For example, if we can shoot at 60fps, could the :apple:TV play it back at 60fps? I've already shot a lot of video at 1080p/60fps and would love to use that instead of the frame-reduced version (at 30fps).

Anyone know if existing :apple:TV hardware would be capable of 60fps? Or is the hardware itself capped at 30fps (thus pushing for an upgrade if this feature would be desirable)?

mizaco
Sep 10, 2013, 12:59 AM
i feel apple tv is worthless.

Onimusha370
Sep 10, 2013, 05:27 AM
i feel apple tv is worthless.

That's deep man

IRISHB
Sep 10, 2013, 06:15 AM
What are the chances that Apple will announce a direct subscription option for HBOGO and ESPN/Disney Apps?

HE15MAN
Sep 10, 2013, 06:16 AM
When did Smithsonan, Weather Channel, Vevo, Disney CHannel show up on apple tv?

BackTwoMac
Sep 10, 2013, 08:42 AM

I wouldn't say it's that bad. I just wish it were programmed to automatically go to the next episode of a series, like it does when streaming on a macbook or ipad.

Stuipdboy1000
Sep 10, 2013, 09:24 AM
When did Smithsonan, Weather Channel, Vevo, Disney CHannel show up on apple tv?

A couple of weeks ago. (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/27/apple-tv-adds-apps-for-vevo-weather-channel-disney-and-smithsonian-channel/)

bozzykid
Sep 10, 2013, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't say it's that bad. I just wish it were programmed to automatically go to the next episode of a series, like it does when streaming on a macbook or ipad.

It is missing many other features as well that the HTML5 app provides. Like showing you similar titles at the end the movie/tv show. Also, there's no DIAL support so you can't control it from your iPhone or iPad.

Macnoviz
Sep 10, 2013, 09:32 AM
I believe that new features on a new Apple TV will probably be mostly software-based, but these could potentially be very significant.

In particular, there was one interesting bullet point buried in the iOS 7 presentation, namely the third-party controller API. With a modest amount of flash storage, the Apple TV might get a limited app store for ATV apps and games featuring controller support. This would put it up against the Ouya and recently released Playstation Vita TV.

This is almost purely software-based, so it could be a surprise to announce at the event, seeing as how most new features for the iPhone have already leaked.

bozzykid
Sep 10, 2013, 09:37 AM
I believe that new features on a new Apple TV will probably be mostly software-based, but these could potentially be very significant.

In particular, there was one interesting bullet point buried in the iOS 7 presentation, namely the third-party controller API. With a modest amount of flash storage, the Apple TV might get a limited app store for ATV apps and games featuring controller support. This would put it up against the Ouya and recently released Playstation Vita TV.

This is almost purely software-based, so it could be a surprise to announce at the event, seeing as how most new features for the iPhone have already leaked.

The only thing that concerns me is the current aTV is lacking the storage and the RAM to run games natively. I just don't see how they can have an app store and allow games than can use in the GBs of storage. Perhaps it will be some type of streaming games service.

whsbuss
Sep 10, 2013, 01:14 PM
Well nothing on ATV at today's event.

adam9c1
Sep 10, 2013, 02:08 PM
I have a feeling that Apple was working on a deal with providers but that failed.
That's why the massive shipment of set top boxes.
That's why the stream was not available on ATVs as people would want to DL the soft update instantly...

In regards to iPhones
no black = huge fail

I think new ATV software may be released along with Mavericks...

HobeSoundDarryl
Sep 10, 2013, 02:09 PM
What are the chances that Apple will announce a direct subscription option for HBOGO and ESPN/Disney Apps?

If you mean without requiring a cable/satt subscription too, I'd say 0.25% (practically nill).

waw74
Sep 10, 2013, 02:32 PM
In regards to iPhones
no black = huge fail

still have black, they're just calling it "space gray"

so they're going by the metal color of the back, not glass color with this model.

bozzykid
Sep 10, 2013, 04:15 PM

Well, we will see a new update when iOS 7 is released next week. There's already been betas along with the iPhone and iPad betas. About the only new thing I expect to see is iTunes radio.

----------

If you mean without requiring a cable/satt subscription too, I'd say 0.25% (practically nill).

ESPN has already said about a month ago that they would be interested in providing a internet only package. I think both are holding out as long as possible because they are quite happy where they are in the market. But as soon as a few bigger names start doing it, they will jump right in.

PhilippeDesra
Sep 10, 2013, 08:39 PM
I hope so. They really need to stop treating it as a "hobby" if they could buy who they need to buy out and make deals they should be making they could be selling them like how they sell iPods.

HobeSoundDarryl
Sep 10, 2013, 09:50 PM
ESPN has already said about a month ago that they would be interested in providing a internet only package. I think both are holding out as long as possible because they are quite happy where they are in the market. But as soon as a few bigger names start doing it, they will jump right in.

ESPN is Disney. Disney & Apple are better friends than any other media company & Apple. If there were a "few bigger names" that were going to do it with Apple, it would be ESPN (Disney). I'd love to see it... but it just isn't going to happen unless the much-dreamed-about "new model" can show ALL of the current players how they are going to make MORE money- not less. Apple is also wanting in on that action, which translates into more money + Apple's cut.

Lord Hamsa
Sep 11, 2013, 06:42 AM
ESPN is Disney. Disney & Apple are better friends than any other media company & Apple. If there were a "few bigger names" that were going to do it with Apple, it would be ESPN (Disney). I'd love to see it... but it just isn't going to happen unless the much-dreamed-about "new model" can show ALL of the current players how they are going to make MORE money- not less. Apple is also wanting in on that action, which translates into more money + Apple's cut.

I've speculated before - and I don't know how realistic it is - that Apple has enough cash to pretty much buy 51% of Disney outright, and that they ought to. The Disney portfolio includes ABC, ESPN, whole or partial ownership of a variety of other cable channels, two film distribution labels, a radio conglomerate, at least one publishing imprint, and all of the LucasFilm production infrastruture, plus all of the Disney, Lucas, and Marvel IP. Not to mention the long-standing ties between the two companies to start with. If you wanted to change the way the media business works, what better than to become one of the players and blaze the trail yourself?

I think this becomes a far more realistic option if the US fixes their atrocious tax policy on repatriated foreign earnings, because the non-domestic cash pile is otherwise difficult to use for this.

chevy57
Sep 11, 2013, 07:04 AM
Apple TV software refresh arrives with iOS 7 on September 18th.

Nope, Apple didn’t show off new Apple TV hardware yesterday.
And Apple didn’t talk about new software for its Web video box, either. But it’s still coming.
People familiar with the company’s plans say Apple TV is scheduled for an internal overhaul on September 18th, the same day Apple releases its iOS 7 mobile operating software.

http://allthingsd.com/20130911/that-apple-tv-refresh-is-coming-next-week/

New software???

Lord Hamsa
Sep 11, 2013, 09:32 AM
I imagine the "new software" is primarily iOS7.

The one new feature that's being talked about is to authorize (on a temp basis, I guess) an ATV to use a second iTunes Store account for streaming purchased content.