PDA

View Full Version : Streaming to WDTV

thoughton
Sep 4, 2013, 06:13 AM
Hi everyone,

I would like to stream music from my Mac to my WDTV. I currently do this via the feature-packed but ugly Zappo TV app on my iPad. I'm not quite sure how ZappoTV does it, I think it is using some kind of DLNA 'push' method. This is important, when I stream from Zappo I don't have to press any buttons or anything on the WDTV. The Zappo video (or audio) just overrides the WDTV interface (which then vanishes, and displays a message saying something like 'this device is streaming media from windows').

I would like to do this from my Mac so I'm not relying on the iPad battery. Doing it via iTunes would be a bonus, but I would settle for another app. The music is mostly in mp3 and aac format.

Thanks for any suggestions!

paulrbeers
Sep 4, 2013, 09:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I would like to stream music from my Mac to my WDTV. I currently do this via the feature-packed but ugly Zappo TV app on my iPad. I'm not quite sure how ZappoTV does it, I think it is using some kind of DLNA 'push' method. This is important, when I stream from Zappo I don't have to press any buttons or anything on the WDTV. The Zappo video (or audio) just overrides the WDTV interface (which then vanishes, and displays a message saying something like 'this device is streaming media from windows').

I would like to do this from my Mac so I'm not relying on the iPad battery. Doing it via iTunes would be a bonus, but I would settle for another app. The music is mostly in mp3 and aac format.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Twonky

thoughton
Sep 4, 2013, 11:12 AM
Twonky

And how will Twonky do what I want? :confused:

paulrbeers
Sep 4, 2013, 12:33 PM
And how will Twonky do what I want? :confused:

1. Did you google it?
2. Did you take any time to gain even a basic understanding of what Twonky is?
3. What research have you done to understand how your WDTV works?

If you took time to understand 2 and 3, you would understand how 2 would work with 3.....

In the time you have spent registering for an account here, you could have done a basic search of "Files to WDTV from Mac"

thoughton
Sep 4, 2013, 02:22 PM
No need to be so rude, sonny. I guess you are the resident netcop. Do you get a kick out of acting like a socially retarded child?

I already have Twonky installed on my QNAP TS-412. I can't see any way to initiate playback from my Mac. All I can do is use my WDTV remote to access files via the Twonky interface. The WDTV interface is pretty slow, which is why I don't want to use it.

If you don't want to answer the question beyond a single word response then why the hell did you respond in the first place?

No need to reply, I'll find my information on another forum.

boomhower
Sep 5, 2013, 02:48 PM
Not sure of any way to push to it. Plex work on it but your stuck using it's ugly interface. I bought an Apple TV solely for airplay for uses like this. Still use the WDTV for movies though, gotta have local storage for that.

thoughton
Sep 6, 2013, 02:59 AM
Thanks boomhower. I ended up discovering some UPnP control point software named Kinsky (http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac/wiki/Kinsky) which can stream your iTunes library to compatible UPnP devices. Kinsky is open source software released by Linn to use with Linn high-end audio systems, but it also works on some other boxes including the WDTV.

I may still end up buying another AppleTV for this (my 1st gen one died after a few years), just for the extra convenience when streaming YouTube. Zappo TV can stream YouTube to the WDTV, but their handling of subscriptions is rudimentary. Airplay Mirroring would also be a nice if rarely-used bonus.