Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
I remember in another forum people spoke of a Mac program that utilises the Audio Galaxy network. I am sick of VPC and want it... anyone help me out.... PPPPLLLLEEEEAAASSSEEEEE??????

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by mac15
Dude I heard that had spyware
Steer Clear

AudioGalaxy's official client prob has spyware... I think it's unlikely the 3rd party app (sputnix) has any spyware involved.

arn

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by mac15
Dude I heard that had spyware
Steer Clear

Partly right... Audio Galaxy, KaZaA, and a couple others offered a couple of companion programs.. the names of which escape me at the moment.. that were apparently trojans.. but not the main apps. (None of which matters on a Mac, since the "real" programs are PC-only) I haven't heard of any such problems with the Mac client for Audio Galaxy. I sure wish there were a version of KaZaA, though, for the Mac.. maybe some enterprising Unix guru will port the Linux version to OS X.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Somebody's put KaZaA on a few of the computers at my work - now, they're all clogged with crud, and takes them an average of 10 minutes to log on from power-up. Mind you, they ARE all PC's, running NT... EEEEK!

Still, the IT dept. are hopping mad...

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Can someone explain this all to me (tyhe spyware and trojans and stuff)

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
from what I've read, somebody did a scan of all the packets sent by audio galaxy and there was nothing but ad information. kazaa on the other hand I've heard can modify IE so it shows popups more often at some sites. these are the windows versions of course

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Morpheus is coming to OS X sometime Mid 1Q of this year. It was the first app to utilize the fastrack technology that is present in Kazaa and Grokster. I'm awaiting this because frankly Gnutella blows. I use Kazaa to download things on my PC then transfer them over to my powerbook

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Go to VersionTracker and look up MacSatellite
I'm using it right now, and it works pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.