PDA

View Full Version : Purchased vs. local issue

anewman143
Sep 4, 2013, 08:01 AM
In an effort to save some disk space, I deleted a few TV series that I had purchased in iTunes. I figured since my purchase was still in the cloud, that I would still see them in my TV shows section on my 2 ATV's.

Not.

I have to separately navigate to the purchased section in the store, where I can stream them without a problem.

Seems kinda silly to not have them show up in my TV shows, since I did purchase them from iTunes...having to navigate to a separate section seems quite "un-Apple-like" (read: inelegant)

Is there an option that I missed to get this to work as I think it should?

Thanks!

Rushli0n
Sep 4, 2013, 04:00 PM
I'm assuming you used to find these on the Apple TV by navigating to Computers > TV Shows prior to removing them from iTunes.

If that is the case and you've removed them from your Computer...then I don't see how you could think they would show up under the Computers section anymore.

An example would be if I didn't have a computer, but bought a TV Show through iTunes on my Apple TV. I wouldn't expect it to show up in the Computers section under TV Shows. It should be under TV Shows > Purchased.

Seems logical to me.

anewman143
Sep 5, 2013, 07:00 AM
Rush - you make a very fair point - "my computers" should be what I have locally and what's purchased only (not downloaded) is in purchases in the store.

I get that - truly. Perhaps, then, what I'm proposing is that instead of "My computer", there should be a tile called "My media" - that way, no having to remember whether you downloaded a given item vs. just purchased it.

My point is ultimately one of interface I suppose - I want all my stuff accessible in one place - because when I'm sitting in my chair ready to watch a show, I don't care whether or not I've downloaded it yet - I just want to see it -

Does make more sense? Your point was very fair and well reasoned - it was my fault for not making my idea more clear.

Rushli0n
Sep 5, 2013, 09:28 AM
I see your point. Here's my thought:

Have just three icons: Movies/TV Shows/Music. Each section should do the following:

1. Offer the store for buy/rent
2. Show all media you have stored locally along with any iCloud purchases

I agree that users shouldn't care whether it's in the cloud or on their machine. Basically just integrate the Computers section into the other existing sections.

anewman143
Sep 5, 2013, 03:30 PM
Exactly - simple, elegant and keeps the unnecessary complexity behind the scenes.

I'm still very interested to see if Apple "fixes" how we view lists of tv shows or movies - it would be nice to have just ONE item called "Monk" - you choose that and then you can choose which season, and then which show.

Similarly, for movies, for those in a series (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc) have a single icon and the individual movies in a sub "folder"...keeps the screen from being so busy. Surprised somebody like Steve Jobs, who loved "simplicity" allowed for such a busy interface.