PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV Remote Theory

otisg
Sep 4, 2013, 08:07 AM
So... here's a thought.

First, consider the following points.

1. The iPod touch is slowly becoming irrelevant.
2. Fingerprint sensor is purported for iPhone 5S.
3. Personalization/Curation of TV is becoming important.

Could Apple be adding a fingerprint sensor to a revamped iPod touch to create an awesome new Apple TV remote? Think about it - the fingerprint sensor would be a way to know who is watching without "watching" them. Plus it could use Siri, browse the web, do AirPlay and more.

It's a tad expensive at $229 currently, but who knows what Apple can do.

Even if I'm dead wrong on this, which I probably am, I think the interesting part of the new rumors ("Set Top Box with Communication Function") is the "Communication Function" part - I think that means a cool new remote.

Gjwilly
Sep 4, 2013, 08:48 AM
I would say that the "Communication Function" has been an integral part of the ATV definition from day-one.
It communicates with your network, it communicates with your other PCs, it communicates with your i-Devices....
Nothing at all new.

Toubro
Sep 4, 2013, 09:00 AM
God I hope not.
Touch screen remotes sound and look cool, but in my experience, nothing beats a well thought out remote with buttons. True, it's not as costumizable, but I always find myself using my Beo4 instead of my Beo5 or iPhone/iPad, simply because I don't have to look at it. My fingers know where the buttons are and can feel their way around, you can't do that on a touchscreen.

paulrbeers
Sep 4, 2013, 09:38 AM
So... here's a thought.

First, consider the following points.

1. The iPod touch is slowly becoming irrelevant.
2. Fingerprint sensor is purported for iPhone 5S.
3. Personalization/Curation of TV is becoming important.

Could Apple be adding a fingerprint sensor to a revamped iPod touch to create an awesome new Apple TV remote? Think about it - the fingerprint sensor would be a way to know who is watching without "watching" them. Plus it could use Siri, browse the web, do AirPlay and more.

Even if I'm dead wrong on this, which I probably am, I think the interesting part of the new rumors ("Set Top Box with Communication Function") is the "Communication Function" part - I think that means a cool new remote.

So the only thing it adds is the ability to determine automatically who is using the "remote"? The same thing could be accomplished if all they added was a "user select" menu to the current remote app right?

Sure it's automatically determined. That's cool. Beyond that, no advantage and basically everything else already exists.

priitv8
Sep 4, 2013, 10:05 AM
So the only thing it adds is the ability to determine automatically who is using the "remote"?Or, if Apple were to do it the Samsung way, using a camera and face recognition.

ncarnall
Sep 4, 2013, 11:49 AM
So the only thing it adds is the ability to determine automatically who is using the "remote"? The same thing could be accomplished if all they added was a "user select" menu to the current remote app right?

Sure it's automatically determined. That's cool. Beyond that, no advantage and basically everything else already exists.

For age related content/parental guidance. If a child is using the ATV they could access content unsuitable and the parents wouldn't need to selecting the passcode that everyone in the room sees.

APlotdevice
Sep 5, 2013, 12:02 AM
A full blown iPod touch as the default controller? I doubt it. If they are going to "upgrade" the remote, a more practical solution would be a bluetooth-based device with various sensors.

boomhower
Sep 5, 2013, 02:49 PM
A slick remote for is the Logitech Smart Control. Simple physical remote plus a slick app for your iDevice. Best darn remote I've every had.

Mrbobb
Sep 5, 2013, 04:33 PM

Considering those fully programmable Prontos go for a lot more, I've been waiting Apple to put a @$"$ IR on the touch. I do the app myself.

eecyclone
Sep 5, 2013, 08:19 PM
A slick remote for is the Logitech Smart Control. Simple physical remote plus a slick app for your iDevice. Best darn remote I've every had.

I agree with this... except I have the harmony ultimate but same concept. My favorite remote I've ever used, from logitech or URC.

boomhower
Sep 5, 2013, 10:08 PM
I agree with this... except I have the harmony ultimate but same concept. My favorite remote I've ever used, from logitech or URC.

I just couldn't justify the cost of the ultimate with the app put into the equation. Of course your income could make that a non-issue or you need RF.