PDA

View Full Version : Built in home speaker advice

joeyboyyy91
Sep 4, 2013, 10:56 AM
Hello Mac Rumors!

Hopefully I've posted this in the right place!

So my parents have moved into a new house, which has speakers built into the ceiling of the living room and the kitchen. There are individual volume controls for each room.

Please click below for link to album of pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/Mv30v

Now you see those 2 cables with a blue and brown cable each? What do I need to plug those into so that my Mum can play her ipod through the speakers?

Talk me through the process here guys, what do I need and how does it work.

UK based btw people, just incase that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

marzer
Sep 4, 2013, 12:50 PM
Hello Mac Rumors!

Hopefully I've posted this in the right place!

So my parents have moved into a new house, which has speakers built into the ceiling of the living room and the kitchen. There are individual volume controls for each room.

Please click below for link to album of pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/Mv30v

Now you see those 2 cables with a blue and brown cable each? What do I need to plug those into so that my Mum can play her ipod through the speakers?

Talk me through the process here guys, what do I need and how does it work.

UK based btw people, just incase that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

I assume each pair of speakers has a total of 4 wires? Given those are standard speaker sets, 2 wires per speaker, you may want to consider an amplifier to plug the speakers into.

I have 3 pair of built in speakers throughout the house. The wires run into a storage room and connect to a speaker splitter box that connects to a Sony receiver. An Airport express connects into the Sony to provide Airplay from any iOS device (iPhones, iPads) or iTunes from a computer or one of 4 Apple TV's around the house.

ChrisA
Sep 4, 2013, 10:00 PM

Talk me through the process here guys, what do I need and how does it work....

The speakers connect to and amplifier output. The iPod connects either directly or via (say) an Airport express or Apple TV to the amplifier's input.

To conect directly all you need is the correct cable, likley a 3.5mm TRS to dual RCA.

There is nothing spepcial about ceiling speakers, they conect like any other passive speakers.

Do be warned that the audio quality of most ceiling speakers is not the best.