PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV iCloud Question

bradleyd417
Sep 4, 2013, 01:16 PM
This may have already been covered but I couldn't find it on the board.

This weekend I watched The Avengers on my Apple TV via iCloud. After the movie was over I realized I had underestimated how good the quality is on the Apple TV. Everything looked sharp and bright colors popped beautifully. The iTunes version of this movie was downloaded via the digital copy of my Blu-ray. When I visited the Avengers cloud file on my computer I was surprised to see that it was not the HD version, or at least it doesn't have the HD logo beside the name in iTunes. So, getting to my question: If you download a digital copy or a standard definition movie on iTunes will Apple TV stream the highest quality version availble in the store when using iCloud?

Madmic23
Sep 4, 2013, 02:47 PM
It depends on the studio. Some digital copies are HD, and allow you to stream the HD version from iCloud. Others are only SD.

I just bought the X-Men trilogy on Blu-Ray, which included a digital copy for each movie, however the digital copy is only SD.

I have Wreck it Ralph on 3D Blu-Ray, which included a digital copy as well. The digital copy allowed me stream from iCloud in HD on my Apple TV.

bradleyd417
Sep 4, 2013, 04:56 PM
It depends on the studio. Some digital copies are HD, and allow you to stream the HD version from iCloud. Others are only SD.

I just bought the X-Men trilogy on Blu-Ray, which included a digital copy for each movie, however the digital copy is only SD.

I have Wreck it Ralph on 3D Blu-Ray, which included a digital copy as well. The digital copy allowed me stream from iCloud in HD on my Apple TV.

So basically whatever you download is what gets streamed via iCloud on Apple TV? I have the standard edition of The Avengers but I swear it looked HD when I streamed it on Apple TV.

Icaras
Sep 4, 2013, 06:38 PM
If the digital copy obtained was SD, Apple will only grant you the SD copy.

One way to verify this is on your iOS device, search for Avengers, or tap "More" at the bottom, and then "Purchased", and then "Movies". Then select the movie and verify it has the small "HD" icon at the top next to the title. Then verify that instead of the price of the movie, the button is a iCloud download button. Then you should know what is tied to your iCloud account exactly.

So yea, basically Apple TV will not stream the HD version if it doesn't exist in your account.

crzdcolombian
Sep 4, 2013, 08:58 PM
even a HD title(most new ones I bought are HD tho Disney are *******s) don't look as good as blu ray.

bradleyd417
Sep 5, 2013, 12:40 PM
If the digital copy obtained was SD, Apple will only grant you the SD copy.

One way to verify this is on your iOS device, search for Avengers, or tap "More" at the bottom, and then "Purchased", and then "Movies". Then select the movie and verify it has the small "HD" icon at the top next to the title. Then verify that instead of the price of the movie, the button is a iCloud download button. Then you should know what is tied to your iCloud account exactly.

So yea, basically Apple TV will not stream the HD version if it doesn't exist in your account.

Thanks so much, Icaras! This helps a lot!