PDA

View Full Version : iBook or Powerbook? But WAIT! G3 I say...

Borjan
Nov 22, 2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah, a little different from the old iBook/Powerbook threads.

Here are my needs. I need a basic laptop, WiFi enabled, so I can just do some basic websurfing (mainly to figure out how to code my new website (http://followmygap.com) from the sofa without hogging the main computer all day), maybe using it as a place to store my photo's and music.

So nothing big at all.

I want a Mac, but don't wanna spend a bomb. Plus, I realised that my tasks are nowhere near great.

I do have a few wants/need though.

I would like to run OS 10.4. At the most I'll be having a web browser open, maybe iTunes as well as a mail app or something. Should I be looking at the 400mhz models? No lower right? Ram will be upped of course.

Also, my reason for the older laptops is that I'm going to go travelling to South America next year. So, which out of the the two would be best suited for the trip? Take the knocks and such. Bear in mind, that I'm thinking of a Clamshell versus a Pismo at the moment (the more I research the Pismo, the more I hear praise of it, but I want a comparison for how they fair... 'in the field')

In the end, if they are really similar, I guess it may come down to the price. Upgradability too, since I plan to swap out the hard drives for something bigger.

Any thoughts?

(Oh and how much do you think I should be paying? I live in London for your information.. damn UK prices...)

adk
Nov 22, 2005, 06:14 PM
I'm pretty sure swapping a hard drive on either is gonna be tough. The only thing is that Some/all ibooks don't have FW and if you want to store music and photos I assume you want something faster than USB1.