Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

$yregnar86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Trying to install parallels on my macbook and I don't have a CD drive. I have downloaded the parallels 8 from their website and have successfully followed through with that step.

The following website shows the steps I have yet to complete. However I don't have a CD drive to get things going. I am at step 2.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/4729

Can someone help me out so I don't have to make a special trip to the genius bar.

Nov 28, 2010
located
In other words, you have successfully installed Parallels Desktop, but are having troubles installing an operating system (OS) inside Parallels due to not having an optical disk drive (ODD)?
If that is so, what OS do you want to install then?

$yregnar86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Yes that is correct.

I am wanting to install windows 7. I would like to stay as far away from windows 8 as possible.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes that is correct.

I am wanting to install windows 7. I would like to stay as far away from windows 8 as possible.

And you have Windows 7 on a DVD but do not have an ODD?

Before Windows 8 arrived, one could buy/download Windows 7 from the Microsoft Store, but that does not seem possible anymore.

Either you download a compatible ISO and use your activation key or try to get an external ODD or wait for other people here to have better answers* if a search via Advanced Search or MRoogle does not work.

* To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

Example: Want to install Windows 7 on my Mac without a DVD drive (have DVD) - how?

$yregnar86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Correct, I have the Windows 7 CD. I also have another MacBook with a CD-ROM Drive. Can I somehow share that drive with the MacBook that doesn't have one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.