Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Social network Path has announced a significant update to its iOS app, bringing new features such as private sharing to specific contacts, a new "inner circle" grouping feature for existing contacts on the service, and a new premium membership that allows for unlimited use of exclusive filters and characters. The company has also announced a global partnership with mobile carrier Deutsche Telekom, bringing its German customers a free year of Path's premium membership.

path_update-800x473.jpg
Our team is proud to announce Path 3.2 and with it, Private Sharing, Inner Circle, and Premium. A lot of thought and iteration went in to these features, during which we constantly asked ourselves--will this help bring you and your friends and family closer together? Will this give you more control over what you share, and who you choose to share with? Will this encourage you to be yourself, and be more open with those who matter most?
The last major update to the app came in March and brought entry-level private messaging and a shop for its stickers and characters to use in messages. Path can be downloaded from the App Store for free, although the update has yet to go live. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Social Network Path Updating iOS App with Private Sharing, 'Inner Circle', Premium Membership

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
lol. How is this company getting so much in funding? They must have a huge international presence (hence why they are pushing those bizarre stickers).

I still can't get anyone I know to join Path. Well, I've got 2 people to join, but they are dormant. It's been designated as my own personal journal since I love the interface so much.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
lol. How is this company getting so much in funding? They must have a huge international presence (hence why they are pushing those bizarre stickers).

I still can't get anyone I know to join Path. Well, I've got 2 people to join, but they are dormant. It's been designated as my own personal journal since I love the interface so much.
Agreed. At first, I embraced Path for being what appears to be a better Facebook. While the mobile app is mostly superior, none of my friends (and only few have actually bothered to join) have posted anything beyond few initial posts.

Then there were a series of major fiascos, such as privacy violation and spamming.

Since then, I have migrated to Day One for private journaling needs.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
My wife and I use this as an easier and more private (than Facebook) but also more personal (than Flickr) way to share pics of our daughter with grandparents and a few close friends and family. Our connections don't share much, and certainly not on the scale we do, but everyone likes the clutter-free UI. I'm sure Instagram could fit this bill, but we got into path first, and like that it seems more intimate.

I have no experience with or interest in stickers and the other stuff. I just hope their updates don't get in the way of the pure photo sharing.

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
I've looked at Path a few times, wishing there were something better than Facebook out there. Particularly, something where it's easy to limit what I post to people who really are my friends. Path looks intriguing, but I read about their sending spam to all the addresses in users' contacts lists and that is unacceptable. I'd like to try it, but I've never signed up for this reason.

Was that just an aberration, or is that how Path operates? Would Path be suitable as a sort of a blog for sharing with a small circle of friends and family? The new features announced here seem oriented in that direction.

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
Was that just an aberration, or is that how Path operates? Would Path be suitable as a sort of a blog for sharing with a small circle of friends and family? The new features announced here seem oriented in that direction.

They have (thankfully) remedied the situation.

Dave Morin, CEO of Path:

We believe you should have control when it comes to sharing your personal information. We also believe that actions speak louder than words. So, as a clear signal of our commitment to your privacy, we’ve deleted the entire collection of user uploaded contact information from our servers. Your trust matters to us and we want you to feel completely in control of your information on Path.

In Path 2.0.6, released to the App Store today, you are prompted to opt in or out of sharing your phone’s contacts with our servers in order to find your friends and family on Path.​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.