Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I know this is probably a very basic issue, but I need help anyway. I downloaded the pre-compiled binary of the latest ffmpeg. Where do I put the thing. Double clicking on the binary opens terminal and seems to run the file but not install it. I'm trying to update the older version currently on my Mac Pro, but i can't even remember how I installed that one.

I don't run from the command line, I use the iFFmpeg front end which is using the older binary.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

dringkor

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
If I recall correctly, when you start ffmpegx for the first time, it asks you where the binaries are. There should be three: mencoder and mplayer come in a zip file that you should unzip first, and mpeg2enc.intel which you can just leave in your Download folder. In ffmpegx, browse to where these are in finder and ffmpegx will install them for you.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Thanks, but I'm not using ffmpegX, I'm using iFFmpeg. I have an old version of ffmpeg installed and I want to update it. I downloaded the compiled binary, but I can't figure out where to go from there.

Never mind, I figured it out. You just drag the binary into the main window of iFFmpeg and it installs it for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.