Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
I have a late 2008 MacBook, and it is charging slowly. It is at 66% now, and it says 2:44 until full charge. Is this normal, or is there something wrong with the battery/charger/something? It has a 60w charger with the T shaped connector, and the battery has 40 cycles, and a full charge capacity of 3582 MAH

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a late 2008 MacBook, and it is charging slowly. It is at 66% now, and it says 2:44 until full charge. Is this normal, or is there something wrong with the battery/charger/something? It has a 60w charger with the T shaped connector, and the battery has 40 cycles, and a full charge capacity of 3582 MAH
For battery, power, or charging issues, you might try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues. Resetting it will not help.)

How long since you calibrated the battery? See the CALIBRATION section of the following link. Also, check out the link for Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the Battery FAQ.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
I will read it when I get home and have time. I got the laptop a few days ago, but got it from someone who never used it. That's why there's the low battery cycles.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I did an EMC reset and it stays at 99%. Then I unplugged it and it showed 100%. Any advice?
It's normal that your battery may stop charging between 93-99%. For details, read the CHARGING section of the FAQ. Also, the percentage isn't perfectly accurate, but only an estimate. Did you calibrate the battery?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am currently charging after letting it die. It has been charging faster since it died.
Did you let it sit fully charged for 2 hours before draining it? Did you wait 5 hours after it drained before recharging?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Try filling a glass of water to an exact level. At first you can gush water into it but as it fills you have to go slower as not to over fill.

Same with your battery.

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
Did you let it sit fully charged for 2 hours before draining it? Did you wait 5 hours after it drained before recharging?

No, but its working fine now. I didn't have the time to let it sit for 5 hours, as I needed to take it somewhere right when I woke up and I needed the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.