PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry Messenger for iOS Likely Coming Soon, App Submitted Two Weeks Ago

MacRumors
Sep 6, 2013, 04:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/06/blackberry-messenger-for-ios-likely-coming-soon-app-submitted-two-weeks-ago/)

BlackBerry Messenger for the iPhone was submitted to the App Store two weeks ago, which means the launch could be coming at any time pending approval from Apple. The news was announced (https://twitter.com/alexkinsella/status/376084250639872000) this afternoon by BlackBerry Social Media Manager Alex Kinsella.

BBM, which functions similarly to Apple's iMessage, was one of the first proprietary mobile messaging services and remains popular to this day with more than 60 million active monthly users.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/bbm_android.jpg
BlackBerry first announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/14/blackberry-messenger-coming-to-ios-this-summer/) the iOS version of BBM in May, and sent out beta invites (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/01/blackberry-messenger-beta-starts-rolling-out-for-ios-and-android-devices/) to the service in early August.

Two weeks ago, BlackBerry posted a user guide (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/22/blackberry-messenger-user-guides-posted-ios-launch-coming-soon/) for the app, detailing the how the service works, its available features, and how to create an account. The app was expected to be launched shortly after the guide was posted, but it appears that it is still under review.

It is not clear why BlackBerry Messenger is still stuck in the review process after two weeks, as Apple typically finishes app reviews within five business days.

BlackBerry will have a lot of competition in the messaging space on iOS. In addition to iMessage, there are a number of other third-party messaging services that have soared in popularity over the last couple of months, including LINE, Whatsapp and WeChat.

Article Link: BlackBerry Messenger for iOS Likely Coming Soon, App Submitted Two Weeks Ago (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/06/blackberry-messenger-for-ios-likely-coming-soon-app-submitted-two-weeks-ago/)

eddystrasser
Sep 6, 2013, 04:25 PM
.....LOL

read about blackberry in my history class

mrat93
Sep 6, 2013, 04:29 PM
Even for an Android app, it looks awful already.

ziggie216
Sep 6, 2013, 04:33 PM
Can't think of anyone that I know of that use BBM.

Goftrey
Sep 6, 2013, 04:36 PM
This app will explode among teenagers.

JGIGS
Sep 6, 2013, 04:39 PM
This app will explode among teenagers.

Maybe in a new back to the future movie where they go back to 2004.

laflores
Sep 6, 2013, 04:40 PM
Great! Now I can send messages to nobody...

krishatesworld
Sep 6, 2013, 04:45 PM
Thank God! I can finally communicate with people in some alternate universe where Blackberry is still culturally relevant.

NightFox
Sep 6, 2013, 04:49 PM
Great! Now I can send messages to nobody...

...or any of the 60 million current users of BBM.

Sabenth
Sep 6, 2013, 04:50 PM
Why all the negativity it's another app means of communication is it not I message great when it works but not everyone has an iOS device or mac

jroadley
Sep 6, 2013, 04:52 PM
This will do well...

TheKrs1
Sep 6, 2013, 04:57 PM
Sure, they submitted the App a few weeks ago. Where are the rumors coming that it is being held in review? BlackBerry could be using the tools to hold the release of the app until they want to have it out?

Radio
Sep 6, 2013, 05:07 PM
Just end it's life already!

I believe in assisted suicide

nazaar
Sep 6, 2013, 05:08 PM
Is this an April fools joke?

JGIGS
Sep 6, 2013, 05:16 PM
Why all the negativity it's another app means of communication is it not I message great when it works but not everyone has an iOS device or mac

Because we need another mobile messaging app like we need a hole in the head?

whatsapp
hangouts
facebook messenger
imessage
good ol sms
and a billion other ones that are less known and now bbm?

What we really need is a multiplatform messaging app with sms integration on both mobile devices and can be web based as well. Pipe dream I know but if that ever happens that will be the app that rules them all! Untill then I think hangouts and fb messenger are the best options since they are multiplatform and also web based options. Problem for ios users is you can't change the notification sound so its easy to miss message notifications for those two services because the default sound is short and low volume.

So for the most part I use sms for single person messages and whatsapp for group messages.

Goftrey
Sep 6, 2013, 05:21 PM

At least 50% of the kids who go to my college (aged between 16 & 21) STILL have Blackberr(ies?). Only now have they woken up & started to delve in to iPhones & Android phones.

I'm based in the UK as well, which is a very different place market-share wise to the US. Pre-paid is very popular, and Curves are selling like hotcakes with a price of 100 off the shelf.

There's still a market for them. Albeit a dwindling one.

kas23
Sep 6, 2013, 05:26 PM
Don't you have to, you know, know someone with a BlackBerry to use this?

----------

You mean use these as props for movies based in the early 2000s? Good use for these btw.

Pakaku
Sep 6, 2013, 05:30 PM
The levels of pretentiousness in this thread are farking ridiculous...

SkyBell
Sep 6, 2013, 05:39 PM
The levels of pretentiousness in this thread are farking ridiculous...

Seriously. I really wish people would give BB10 a fair shot; it's got some amazing potential to compete with the big players.

JohnGrey
Sep 6, 2013, 05:46 PM
Seriously. I really wish people would give BB10 a fair shot; it's got some amazing potential to compete with the big players.

Agreed. The Z10 is also the first and only smartphone to receive certification from DISA, meeting all next-gen security criteria, which means that civil service proliferation is very likely.

Switchback666
Sep 6, 2013, 05:47 PM
Don't you have to, you know, know someone with a BlackBerry to use this?

----------

You mean use these as props for movies based in the early 2000s? Good use for these btw.

Not really mate, they want to take on whatsapp wich is now subscription based for new users plus bbm on iOS and Android will make possible for people that use Blackberrys with only "Social" data plan (only use bbm and email with no full data plan) to communicate with Android and iOS at no cost.

jca24
Sep 6, 2013, 05:50 PM
no one cares, bb is dead and has been for years!

:apple:

appleisking
Sep 6, 2013, 07:30 PM
At least 50% of the kids who go to my college (aged between 16 & 21) STILL have Blackberr(ies?). Only now have they woken up & started to delve in to iPhones & Android phones.

I'm based in the UK as well, which is a very different place market-share wise to the US. Pre-paid is very popular, and Curves are selling like hotcakes with a price of 100 off the shelf.

There's still a market for them. Albeit a dwindling one.

This is true. Outside the U.S blackberries are quite popular. But take a look at a college in the U.S and you won't find a single one on campus mostly plagued by iphones and most recently galaxy s4s.

JGIGS
Sep 6, 2013, 07:39 PM

BB10 is decent. Just BBM has lost so much steam not becoming multi platform years ago when it would have been a lot more relevant.

It's just kind of redundant with all the messaging apps that now exist.

CindyRed
Sep 6, 2013, 08:18 PM
I'm actually excited about this. Three or four of my colleagues sport Blackberry 10 series. This will give me more flexible communication options without trying to convince others to download a third party app. Unlike my Android friends who I have to explain how to use "What's App". As for all my friends using Windows Phone 8... Screw Him.

xero9
Sep 6, 2013, 09:30 PM
If it's free, I may get my mother in law to install it when it's available on Android. While my wife and I can text to the US for free, the same isn't true for her. Whatsapp works for now, but she doesn't want to pay for it once her free year runs up.

While I'd never switch to a BB device, I'll install their messaging app.

C DM
Sep 7, 2013, 12:28 AM
The levels of pretentiousness in this thread are farking ridiculous...Bingo.

----------

:apple:The non-ignorant care.

kaielement
Sep 7, 2013, 02:06 AM
Honestly I don't know a single person who uses bb all on iPhones or android. Lol so unless developers stsrt making apps for bb I don't think anyone wants to make the switch.

JohnGrey
Sep 7, 2013, 02:38 AM
Honestly I don't know a single person who uses bb all on iPhones or android. Lol so unless developers stsrt making apps for bb I don't think anyone wants to make the switch.

App development has been going moderately apace and continues to get better. Of course, the fact that BB10 sideloads Android apps easily, often with better performance than native Android hardware, and that as of 10.2 the virtualization runtime is Jelly Bean, means that current Android developers have only a few mouse-clicks between them and another platform on which to generate revenue.

roadbloc
Sep 7, 2013, 02:47 AM
Epic. Cannot wait for this.

TenchoGeek
Sep 7, 2013, 03:00 AM
I'm actually looking forward to this being on my iPhone! It's one thing I've truly missed since jumping ship from blackberry. The thing you all seem to forget is its not just anther poor messaging app it's a messaging app which lets you talk to who you want when you want without anyone having to see if your online like whataapp. Don't get me wrong whatsapp is great but even if you don't have someone as a contact they can still talk to you which is absurd. Bbm provides security in that sense by allowing you to talk privately to who you want! For that reason in pretty sure Itl grow on the majority of you, mark my words. Just wish they introduce an ipad version at launch *sigh*

joneill55
Sep 7, 2013, 05:10 AM
You can tie a nice yellow ribbon on a turd and it's still a turd!

BB........Rest in Peace!

jjwarwick
Sep 7, 2013, 05:38 AM
I really could go down the "who still has a blackberry" route - I can't think of one person who I know who has one. The one close friend I have who is a technological dinosaur and hung on to BB when everyone else switched even has an iPhone now.

Every talk plan on the planet comes with unlimited talk and texts these days, so there is no cost advantage in using BBM rather than texting.

And I don't agree that most kids have anything other than iPhones these days, or at least a budget android handset. There was a One Direction documentary on TV a couple of weeks ago, and all the teen girls had iPhones.

WilliamLondon
Sep 7, 2013, 06:09 AM
The last two neighbourhoods in which I've lived haven't been the nicest, and one thing I noticed is that although you don't really see too many iPhones per capita in neighbourhoods like these, you do see a lot of Blackberries, especially among the younger people. Blackberry in corporates not so much anymore, but BB among the poorer people, big thing. Anecdotal, sure, but it fits with what I've read about how RIM is enterprise in the US, but in the rest of the world their phones are marketed and sold as low cost youth consumer phones.

iSayuSay
Sep 7, 2013, 06:31 AM
Holy ****. So many negativity.

If there's one thing, BBm on iOS only makes the iPhone better and more versatile.
Now I dont have to convince some of my colleagues to use Whatsapp or something on their Bb handset

And it's a free app too. Some of us ACTUALLY need it. So how about not download it if you dont like it. No need for skepticism

BvizioN
Sep 7, 2013, 06:33 AM

That would be back to the past :D

But yeah... I do agree with you.

ValSalva
Sep 7, 2013, 07:46 AM
This is the last thing of value that BlackBerry owns. When it fails, which it will not necessarily because it's not good but because it's too late and won't be marketed well, BlackBerry can be bought for a pittance for its patents.

paulcdb
Sep 7, 2013, 07:55 AM
Wonder if this is like when google said it's maps app was submitted when it wasn't? If it's ready, just release it on android... right now if Apple knows they're waiting on approval to release on both platforms at the same time i'd delay it too :p

I think it's funny though when some of these companies are supposed to have some of the best, brightest people working for them and yet they still seem to be absolutely clueless on designing things, even Apple have things they could do on certain things these days and yet haven't! :rolleyes:

bnnentertainmen
Sep 7, 2013, 08:06 AM
oh, please iMessage is the best messaging app. whatsapp is the second best and guess what, BBM is not even on my list.:rolleyes:

juanmanas
Sep 7, 2013, 08:13 AM

who they happen to have whatsapp already installed on their mobiles

----------

Holy ****. So many negativity.

If there's one thing, BBm on iOS only makes the iPhone better and more versatile.
Now I dont have to convince some of my colleagues to use Whatsapp or something on their Bb handset

And it's a free app too. Some of us ACTUALLY need it. So how about not download it if you dont like it. No need for skepticism

why did you ask your friend not to install whatsapp?

Daveoc64
Sep 7, 2013, 08:42 AM
oh, please iMessage is the best messaging app.

Exclusive to iOS, so pretty useless for anyone without an iPhone.

whatsapp is the second best

But has horrific security.

and guess what, BBM is not even on my list.:rolleyes:

Pretty short list then... What about Kik?

C DM
Sep 7, 2013, 09:27 AM
oh, please iMessage is the best messaging app. whatsapp is the second best and guess what, BBM is not even on my list.:rolleyes:Good for you? :rolleyes:

JohnGrey
Sep 7, 2013, 09:42 AM
This is the last thing of value that BlackBerry owns. When it fails, which it will not necessarily because it's not good but because it's too late and won't be marketed well, BlackBerry can be bought for a pittance for its patents.

Hardly. Blackberry owns a QNX-based OS with superb hardware and external device abstraction, which continues to evolve at a 4 - 6 month per major revision cycle, and whose security and enterprise features are second to none in the mobile world. The importance of leveraging a microkernel OS on mobile platforms, where questions of both power management and security have become increasingly important both in fact and in the public awareness, cannot be overstated. A lot of people bandy about talk about the age of tablets and this being the post-PC era, but embedded microkernel systems like BB10 represent the advent of the post-tablet era, in which a single device is responsible for one's digital activity. When you have a device that can pair with other hardware, local or remote, and interact with it as though it were internally native with little or no energy penalty, and seamlessly scale up its resource usage and service provisioning when new hardware is paired because of its microkernel architecture, you're looking at the basis for the first true attempts at desktop replacement in mobile devices.

This advantage, which is unique to Blackberry in the mobile market, is why they will have excellent penetration in the business market, especially the sectors with sensitive data requirements like agencies or healthcare, and why they'll have no shortage of suitors should they decide to go private and Fairfax inexplicably doesn't buy them, which they will.

saberahul
Sep 7, 2013, 09:43 AM
It's an app. Use it if you like it, ignore it if you don't.

ahmede
Sep 7, 2013, 09:52 AM
What will the cost be to use BBM, a monthly or annual fee??

Daveoc64
Sep 7, 2013, 10:53 AM
What will the cost be to use BBM, a monthly or annual fee??

It's completely free.

OriginalClone
Sep 7, 2013, 11:14 AM
Finally!

alexexexex
Sep 7, 2013, 11:16 AM
Shirley they're waiting for iOS7 to launch
Making and releasing an iOS6 app now would be a little silly non?

macnisse
Sep 7, 2013, 11:24 AM
BB, Android, iOS = multi platform = good initiative = good luck!

iSayuSay
Sep 7, 2013, 11:25 AM
who they happen to have whatsapp already installed on their mobiles

----------

why did you ask your friend not to install whatsapp?

Same reason why you'd prefer iMessage rather than Whatsapp if both parties has an iPhone?

Deep integration into the OS itself, assured service, and convenience, any Blackberry user has BBm by default, just like most iPhone has iMessage.

Can't force anyone to get Whatsapp now, can I?

kas23
Sep 7, 2013, 11:35 AM
Not really mate, they want to take on whatsapp wich is now subscription based for new users plus bbm on iOS and Android will make possible for people that use Blackberrys with only "Social" data plan (only use bbm and email with no full data plan) to communicate with Android and iOS at no cost.

I can see them going after the current messaging services (using BBM, but without the BB). That's fine. They can become a software company. But I still don't get the option of having a BB communicate with an Android device or iPhone. People need to own BBs to make that happen. And while you may know someone with a BB (likely a 55 year-old white male who uses it as a work phone), the actual numbers say these phones are rare and on the path to extinction.

MacMan988
Sep 7, 2013, 12:11 PM
Why?

ahmede
Sep 7, 2013, 12:12 PM
It's completely free.

How would blackberry survive then??

Daveoc64
Sep 7, 2013, 12:34 PM
How would blackberry survive then??

No idea.

Maybe it will cost money one day?
Adverts?
They hope people will like it and buy a Blackberry?
They hope people will stick with their Blackberry because they can now use it to talk to their friends on other platforms?

MonstaMash
Sep 7, 2013, 12:43 PM
If BlackBerry had launched BBM for iOS/Android two years ago, the app would have had the most dominant multi-platform messaging service.

The sad reality is that too much people have left BBM, and competition between iMessage, WhatsApp, and Facebook Messenger is fierce.

This is going to be a great niche product for businesses and people that rely on BBM, but talk about a missed opportunity. Yet another case of BlackBerry scrambling to catch up, instead of being a market leader.

donutbagel
Sep 7, 2013, 03:35 PM
Canadians rejoice!

----------

What's the point of WhatsApp? Never pay for text messaging, NEVER, unless you really need to use SMS. AIM is already free and works on everything. FBM is free and works OK. Anyway, I'm probably going to go ahead and not download this since nobody I know uses a BlackBerry.

chimpboy74
Sep 7, 2013, 05:36 PM
I have to have a blackberry for work (as do all my colleagues) I have never used bbm even for non work chats. Everyone uses text. Maybe we're too old!!!

macsrcool1234
Sep 7, 2013, 06:41 PM
I don't understand why WhatsApp is so popular...it has more security holes than swiss cheese. Seriously, the original version actually sent out things in plaintext....there's literally another vulnerability being posted every month.

Fruit Cake
Sep 7, 2013, 08:40 PM
Canadians rejoice!

----------

Eyy?

Switchback666
Sep 7, 2013, 08:41 PM
I can see them going after the current messaging services (using BBM, but without the BB). That's fine. They can become a software company. But I still don't get the option of having a BB communicate with an Android device or iPhone. People need to own BBs to make that happen. And while you may know someone with a BB (likely a 55 year-old white male who uses it as a work phone), the actual numbers say these phones are rare and on the path to extinction.

It depends on the region, here in latin america/caribbean most people have/had blackberrys just because of the bbm, hell ive seen a bunch of z10 ! And the users are from all ages :)

I dont understand why are you saying "people need to own BBs to make that happend" , if your talking about word of mouth im sure they wont have a problem with advrts.

Another good example is "Line" very popular msg and voip app that hardly anyone in the States knows about :o

jdogg836
Sep 7, 2013, 10:48 PM

60 million? would love to see the number of "active" users. Most of that 60 million has likely abandoned it and moved on 2 years ago.

Switchback666
Sep 8, 2013, 01:30 AM
60 million? would love to see the number of "active" users. Most of that 60 million has likely abandoned it and moved on 2 years ago.

Google is your friend :) i remember similar figures for active users early this year and im sure it will grow bigger when it launch on iOS and Android.

roadbloc
Sep 8, 2013, 03:17 AM

You'd be surprised how many people use it. BlackBerrys still outnumber iPhones where I live. For me, BBM coming to different platforms is a godsend.

Switchback666
Sep 8, 2013, 04:56 AM
You'd be surprised how many people use it. BlackBerrys still outnumber iPhones where I live. For me, BBM coming to different platforms is a godsend.

For some reason if its not popular in the USA then its not selling well etc :D

Same way how a lot of people in the forum dont seem to know about Whatsapp and Line.

rhoydotp
Sep 8, 2013, 06:34 AM

:apple:

you must not work in the IT industry? It looks like there's not a lot of business people around this forum nowadays. BB is still much in-use because of security.

Daveoc64
Sep 8, 2013, 07:04 AM
I don't understand why WhatsApp is so popular...it has more security holes than swiss cheese. Seriously, the original version actually sent out things in plaintext....there's literally another vulnerability being posted every month.

I suppose that in the segment where it's most popular - particularly people under 18, security is not a concern at all.

To be honest, I can't imagine that they are sending anything worth intercepting!

I certainly wouldn't use it though. The security model is poorly designed, and they are too stubborn to redesign it.

bnnentertainmen
Sep 8, 2013, 09:29 AM
Good for you? :rolleyes:

dont tell me you like bbm

----------

Exclusive to iOS, so pretty useless for anyone without an iPhone.

But has horrific security.

Pretty short list then... What about Kik?

most of my friends(70-80%) have an iphone
nothing's secure nowadays (havent you read about NSA)

Daveoc64
Sep 8, 2013, 09:42 AM

I've read about it, that's why I know it's not as bad as you make it out to be!

shardey
Sep 8, 2013, 10:07 AM
dont tell me you like bbm

----------

most of my friends(70-80%) have an iphone

I wonder if this is the reason they are pushing BBM to across multiple platforms, to maybe have a nice secure foot against them (not likely though).

I recently purchased a Z10 brand new off of craigslist for a great price, and it's a solid piece of equipment. The only thing lacking, of course, is the app store. Since it is based off of Android, it will hopefully acquire the ability to run most Android apps. Honestly, if BB came out with a 5"+ screen phone, I think it would sell like hotcakes, if all the former were to apply.

CylonGlitch
Sep 8, 2013, 10:28 AM
I wonder if this is the reason they are pushing BBM to across multiple platforms, to maybe have a nice secure foot against them (not likely though).

I recently purchased a Z10 brand new off of craigslist for a great price, and it's a solid piece of equipment. The only thing lacking, of course, is the app store. Since it is based off of Android, it will hopefully acquire the ability to run most Android apps. Honestly, if BB came out with a 5"+ screen phone, I think it would sell like hotcakes, if all the former were to apply.

All reports are that the BB Z10 is a good piece of hardware, not perfect, but good. BUT . . .

BB is dead; seriously dead. They are looking to sell the company and get out of the business ASAP. It feels like the release of the BBM app for the other platforms is an attempt to build up the valuation of the company for a sale. Rumors are that they want to be out of the business as soon as November! (Source (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324577304579055321852435370.html))

I wouldn't hold my breath for a second gen Z10, or any other device from the company. Best be would be for someone to step in, grab the company update the OS and put it on some decent hardware.

BB is late to the game, they should have done the Z10 a few years ago and made BBM available on iOS as soon as possible. As it is, nothing much is going to come out of this.

kaielement
Sep 8, 2013, 07:10 PM
App development has been going moderately apace and continues to get better. Of course, the fact that BB10 sideloads Android apps easily, often with better performance than native Android hardware, and that as of 10.2 the virtualization runtime is Jelly Bean, means that current Android developers have only a few mouse-clicks between them and another platform on which to generate revenue.

While this might be true most consumers don't know this and wouldn't care they think that bb has no apps thus the choice then becomes either iOS or android for most consumers.

PBF
Sep 8, 2013, 07:33 PM
Nothing lasts forever.

Everything comes to an end one day.

BlackBerry's era has ended.

What we hear now is the sound of a hammer hammering a nail into BlackBerry's coffin. :rolleyes:

JGRE
Sep 9, 2013, 02:30 AM
Well, if BBM is secure and offers integration of Mail, SMS, WhatsApp, iMassage, Facebook messenger, and the rest of them, as it does on my son's BB, it will prevent me to have to go to 10 apps every day to see whether someone send me a message.

NightFox
Sep 9, 2013, 03:49 AM

Read the article - that is active users

bnnentertainmen
Sep 9, 2013, 08:42 AM

guess what? (http://www.slashgear.com/blackberry-z30-5-inch-bb10-phone-leaks-in-z10-and-q5-comparison-06292915/)

----------

I've read about it, that's why I know it's not as bad as you make it out to be!

o yeah, please pass me your bank details, contacts, etc....:rolleyes:

JohnGrey
Sep 9, 2013, 08:51 AM
This advantage, which is unique to Blackberry in the mobile market, is why they will have excellent penetration in the business market, especially the sectors with sensitive data requirements like agencies or healthcare, and why they'll have no shortage of suitors should they decide to go private and Fairfax inexplicably doesn't buy them, which they will.

Called it: Fairfax’s Watsa closing in on Blackberry purchase (http://www.livemint.com/Companies/PyeqaLED9bSskTvri1evaK/Fairfaxs-Watsa-Closing-in-on-Blackberry-Purchase-report.html?ref=mr)

Fairfax apparently things their forward position is tenable enough to pick up them in total. I'm aware that nothing is done till it's done but it's going to happen, and I certainly don't blame Heins for taking Blackberry private. Speculators have consistently tried to take the firm to pieces.

jdogg836
Sep 9, 2013, 10:07 PM
Read the article - that is active users

I did read it, and that's still hard to believe.