PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player and Aqua Problems

rontheancient
Nov 23, 2005, 01:48 AM
Right out the box and I find a problem. I put in a movie DVD, and DVD player plays the movie but the picture has a odd texture to it. Installed a 3rd party DVD player (VLS) and that plays the movie fine. Also, the dock, desktop icons, window drop shadow, and finder bar icons have black dots around them. I ran hardware test, nothing is wrong. AppleCare is stumped.

Picture:
Sorry, could not get a pciture of the spots.

This is the problem with DVD player, same for normal and full screen. Happens when movie in a scene with moderate motion, tried deinterlace, but didnt work.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/touaregwanted/505304556cRRyAt_ph.jpg

TheMonarch
Nov 23, 2005, 01:51 AM
Restart... Repair permissions. Restart again. Report.

*What black dots? Are they triangles? If so, it means the application is open... Press Apple+Q, and it will go away (Because the app will quit) ;)

rontheancient
Nov 23, 2005, 02:43 AM
Thanks but.....

Nope, repairing disk permissions didnt work. Since the DVD's played fine on VLS, do you think it might be a software problem? Would 10.4.4 have a fix? As for the spots, it looks like the icon image was not edited right and it had some small dots on the border between the drop shadow and the rest of the background. At times, I scroll over the dock and the spots show up, then i scroll again and they disappear.

Will Cheyney
Nov 23, 2005, 03:04 AM
Very odd... Tried an OS re-install?

russed
Nov 23, 2005, 05:07 AM
is there a .plist file for DVD player? try getting rid of that?

rontheancient
Nov 23, 2005, 10:37 AM
AppleCare did that with me, dragged it to the desktop. Nothing happened. I might go to the Genius Bar on friday.

rontheancient
Nov 25, 2005, 08:39 PM
Took a little visit to the local Apple Store and the genius took a look at the powerbook. He was puzzled at the problem, and booted the computer from a external drive, same visual problem. The genius excused himself for a few minutes and came back with a brand new 15" Powerbook. He transferred all my apps and docs, as well as e-mails, did some updates, and finally tested DVD player, twice. Right now, im studying for SAT II while my Powerbook is calibrating its battery. APPLE CARE ROCKS