PDA

View Full Version : Any more word of 1.92Ghz PBs?

generik
Nov 23, 2005, 05:09 AM
I wonder if the DeyStar "hacks" will be official when Apple officially makes a 1.92Ghz PB :rolleyes:

caveman_uk
Nov 23, 2005, 05:12 AM
My understanding is that it's no so much of a 'hack' as swapping the processor in the powerbook. I'm not commenting on Daystar here but I'm sure Apple would have loved to have speedbumped the last powerbook revisions (which I think will be the last PPC powerbooks) - there must have been pretty good reasons why Apple didn't.

aquajet
Nov 23, 2005, 08:38 AM
It's cool that Daystar is considering offering this upgrade, but I would be even more impressed if they could put in a better graphics chip along with it.

revisionA
Nov 23, 2005, 09:12 AM
The grfx aint on the cpu.

$

Seasought
Nov 23, 2005, 09:16 AM
Is it possible to overlock a Powerbook's CPU? (Sorry a bit of an aside here)

kwajo.com
Nov 23, 2005, 09:37 AM
as far as I know it is, but you have to do it through the OpenFirmware I think, and it is really not a good idea. the chances of overheating are very high in such a small, confined area. it is easier to overclock your GPU, there is a utility that allows you to change the clock speed and memory speed in real-time, but again the over-heating dangers, and the reduction of battery life are not really worth it

Seasought
Nov 23, 2005, 09:40 AM
as far as I know it is, but you have to do it through the OpenFirmware I think, and it is really not a good idea. the chances of overheating are very high in such a small, confined area. it is easier to overclock your GPU, there is a utility that allows you to change the clock speed and memory speed in real-time, but again the over-heating dangers, and the reduction of battery life are not really worth it

Cool thanks. I've never been a big fan of overclocking in general (did it once on an old box of mine with mixed results) and won't dare experiment with my own laptop.

fps
Nov 23, 2005, 09:52 AM
there must have been pretty good reasons why Apple didn't.

Absolutely, they were too busy ****ing up the screens :rolleyes:

mandoman
Nov 23, 2005, 01:51 PM
I would think all that trouble going to the intrepid 2 chipset Apple
must have been trying to go 7448, but failed or held up for one reason or
another. The only other benefit of the intrepid 2 is lower power ddr2 memory,
seems a silly waste of resource just for that. Maybe there is one more ppc pb
rev in the works?

My guess is if there are intel ibooks at MWSF, they'll up the powerbooks
to 1.92 GHz to keep them selling until intel pb's. Maybe this is why they
held off putting 7448's in pb's in the first place?

My call for MWSF is intel ibooks and mini's w/90nm pentium-m's (NOT yonah) and
special edition G4 powerbooks @ 1.92GHz with SATA HDD's in black aluminum,
and 12" powerbook getting 7447a @ 1.67 Ghz.

Lord Blackadder
Nov 23, 2005, 02:18 PM
My guess is that Apple is currently pouring resources into the upcoming Intel Powerbook, and thus has either delayed or cancelled any further PB G4 speedbumps.

Daystar's upgrade may be using a CPU that Apple can't get in quantity, or it may be an overclock (I doubt that).

katie ta achoo
Nov 23, 2005, 02:21 PM
I don't know about you but I love the warm feeling I get from a combusting 1.92GHz PowerBook on my lap.
It makes me feel all warm and tingly.

well, not so much tingly as on fire.

Lord Blackadder
Nov 23, 2005, 02:31 PM
I don't know about you but I love the warm feeling I get from a combusting 1.92GHz PowerBook on my lap.

Just be glad you haven't got quite as much of yourself exposed to the burning hazard of the Powerbook as we men do.

rockthecasbah
Nov 23, 2005, 02:35 PM

by the sound of it though, that heat from the fire would be perfect rather than your wrist warmers ;)

katie ta achoo
Nov 23, 2005, 02:36 PM
Just be glad you haven't got quite as much of yourself exposed to the burning hazard of the Powerbook as we men do.

and women win again!!

let's see.. that's
women: 2 points
men: 0

but, seriously, does anyone need a slightly faster PB?
SLIGHTLY FASTER!11!@~!!!
*shrug*

Lord Blackadder
Nov 23, 2005, 02:46 PM
but, seriously, does anyone need a slightly faster PB?
SLIGHTLY FASTER!11!@~!!!
*shrug*

We'll find out if Daystar sells a lot of upgrades, won't we? ;)

But if the Intel PBs are truly set to arrive in January it will be a short-lived product.

revisionA
Nov 23, 2005, 03:19 PM

But if the Intel PBs are truly set to arrive in January it will be a short-lived product.

Thanks, two cats worth of heat is enough!

I think you;ll find that g5 powerbooks and intel powerbooks are both hard to pin down despite rumors, though one will appear eventually.

$

aafuss1
Nov 23, 2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks, two cats worth of heat is enough!

I think you;ll find that g5 powerbooks and intel powerbooks are both hard to pin down despite rumors, though one will appear eventually.

$
Also, I expect at least a 7300 or a X700 in the Intel PB.

generik
Nov 23, 2005, 07:51 PM

I heard Yonah chips are only set to ship on the 1st, doesn't that leave Apple with only days to crank up their assembly line? :confused:

toneloco2881
Nov 23, 2005, 07:55 PM
I heard Yonah chips are only set to ship on the 1st, doesn't that leave Apple with only days to crank up their assembly line? :confused:
Apple has had engineering samples for God knows how long, and I'm sure they have production chips in their hands as we speak. The ship date is just once the chip is made available to the public. Computer manufacturers get these things months in advance.

CanadaRAM
Nov 23, 2005, 08:12 PM
and women win again!!

let's see.. that's
women: 2 points
men: 0

Sounds very seasonal - everyone sing along:

"Chestnuts roasting under Open Firmware...."

MacTruck
Nov 23, 2005, 10:44 PM
generik

Not picking on you but I am not getting your sig. Why do you have it and what are you trying to say with it?

Spectrum
Nov 24, 2005, 12:14 AM
I think it's because it's funny :D - in a tragic kind of way :(

generik

Not picking on you but I am not getting your sig. Why do you have it and what are you trying to say with it?

generik
Nov 24, 2005, 09:38 AM
generik

Yeah, it is funny. Partly because I didn't know about the lines issue until I read about it, and the more I read about it the more pissed off I got with Apple :o

Gokhan
Nov 25, 2005, 07:31 AM
the lies issue is a very serious matter to some of us but not apple !!

Spectrum
Nov 25, 2005, 07:55 AM
Yes. The issue IS serious. The quote is funny.

the lies issue is a very serious matter to some of us but not apple !!

Abstract
Nov 25, 2005, 09:28 AM

I need that 0.1% increase in real-world performance.

If I don't have kids, then so be it. Consider my 10 billion sperm as collateral damage.

"Sorry boys and girls, but I'm doing it for the cause."

generik
Nov 25, 2005, 02:12 PM
I need that 0.1% increase in real-world performance.

If I don't have kids, then so be it. Consider my 10 billion sperm as collateral damage.

"Sorry boys and girls, but I'm doing it for the cause."

Well, 50% of the human race do not have any external "assets" that can be harmed by the PB's heat :D

Anyway isn't the 7448 supposed to run cooler?

TheMonarch
Nov 25, 2005, 02:20 PM
Well, 50% of the human race do not have any external "assets" that can be harmed by the PB's heat :D

Make that 51%

Count them up Katie :D ;)