otisg
Sep 7, 2013, 12:22 PM
In case you missed it...

http://www.divx.com/en/software/hevc-plugin

Mr. Retrofire
Sep 7, 2013, 12:38 PM
In case you missed it...

Which ARM-based or AMD/Intel-based processors support H.265 decoding in hardware!?

otisg
Sep 7, 2013, 12:46 PM
Which ARM-based or AMD/Intel-based processors support H.265 decoding in hardware!?

Not sure, but at least we are one step closer to live TV in 1080p or 4K in the future.

northernmunky
Sep 7, 2013, 01:50 PM

None! But thats not the point, the point is its here and thats a very good first step towards widespread adoption.
Well done Divx for beating everyone to it! Divx knows that as they are the first, everyone will gravitate towards their encoding system.

paulrbeers
Sep 7, 2013, 02:55 PM
None! But thats not the point, the point is its here and thats a very good first step towards widespread adoption.
Well done Divx for beating everyone to it! Divx knows that as they are the first, everyone will gravitate towards their encoding system.

You missed the point then. Many codecs come and go, but until it is adopted by mainstream GPUs and CPUs then it will sit as an "also ran".... It will not gain wide spread adoption until we get SOC integrates decoders. Until that happens, then the rest of the discussion is moot. Without a mainstream HARDAWARE decoder, it can't be built into set top boxes and computers.

So as Mr Retrofire stated: what ARM or AMD/Intel process has a built in decoder? Once this occurs then I will agree that h.265 is here....

northernmunky
Sep 7, 2013, 03:09 PM
You missed the point then. Many codecs come and go, but until it is adopted by mainstream GPUs and CPUs then it will sit as an "also ran".... It will not gain wide spread adoption until we get SOC integrates decoders. Until that happens, then the rest of the discussion is moot. Without a mainstream HARDAWARE decoder, it can't be built into set top boxes and computers.

So as Mr Retrofire stated: what ARM or AMD/Intel process has a built in decoder? Once this occurs then I will agree that h.265 is here....

Sorry no, you're still the one missing the point Mr. Beers, and I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here?

Hardware encoders/decoders are not the be all and end all in this case. I'm here happily encoding and playing back H.265 merely by CPU power (so it kinda... is here!), when the day comes that hardware decoders can take over the job, fantastic. But this is called a milestone, hardware decoding will come in due course. This is not worth arguing about.

Mr. Retrofire
Sep 7, 2013, 03:31 PM
Sorry no, you're still the one missing the point Mr. Beers, and I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here?
H.264 required a wide-spread adoption (i.e. hardware decoders in mobile devices, which can not use a 90 Watt quad-core processor, to decode 720p H.264 video). The H.265 standard needs the same wide-spread adoption before Apple, adult movie studios, and others can sell H.265 encoded content. It is also not clear, which container format H.265 uses in the future. H.264 uses at the moment the MP4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp4#Data_streams) and MKV container formats.

northernmunky
Sep 7, 2013, 04:58 PM
H.264 required a wide-spread adoption (i.e. hardware decoders in mobile devices, which can not use a 90 Watt quad-core processor, to decode 720p H.264 video). The H.265 standard needs the same wide-spread adoption before Apple, adult movie studios, and others can sell H.265 encoded content.

All stuff that will come in due course. But right now my Core i7 Macbook Pro is doing a grand job. Might not have it on my iPhone yet, still doesn't fricken matter!!

It is also not clear, which container format H.265 uses in the future. H.264 uses at the moment the MP4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp4#Data_streams) and MKV container formats.

My exports are all coming out in an MKV container, which is one of the most modern, feature rich and in widespread use.

Well chuffed with that! :D

Mr. Retrofire
Sep 7, 2013, 05:35 PM
My exports are all coming out in an MKV container, which is one of the most modern, feature rich and in widespread use.
I doubt that Apple or “certain” ;) movie studios use MKV in the future, although it supports many data formats.

ZeRoLiMiT
Sep 7, 2013, 05:57 PM
the MP4 container works with almost everything.... :apple:

paulrbeers
Sep 7, 2013, 08:20 PM

Hardware encoders/decoders are not the be all and end all in this case. I'm here happily encoding and playing back H.265 merely by CPU power (so it kinda... is here!), when the day comes that hardware decoders can take over the job, fantastic. But this is called a milestone, hardware decoding will come in due course. This is not worth arguing about.

No until a 10 watt set top box (like a Bluray player) can do h.265, then It is not here. Im glad your quad core processor can do it, but 95% of the population do not watch videos on their computers.

phrehdd
Sep 8, 2013, 02:53 AM
It is always a welcome thing when more efficient forms of compression/codecs come to the consumer. What is not a welcome thing is that we can't even get consistency with what we have already.

Whether a Blu Ray is VC-1 or H264, the quality of transfers range from impressive to just plain rotten. So, in comes 4K and its variants and most likely we will be subject to no minimum standards all over again or - so many variants that no single player will handle them all properly. We also saw this before with DVDs. I have some amazing DVDs that were very sharp, well transferred and at times remastered for DVD and then some that looked like someone shot a video tape of a TV screen.

So when all this talk of 4K comes around, I'll probably wait 2-4 years until there is enough medium and reviews to know which ones to avoid entirely and which studios are being greedy with double and triple dipping on product (such as regular and extended versions and 3d and extended 3d and on and on).

For those of you who are excited, I am happy for you...and yes, I remain skeptical.

northernmunky
Sep 8, 2013, 04:15 AM
No until a 10 watt set top box (like a Bluray player) can do h.265, then It is not here. Im glad your quad core processor can do it, but 95% of the population do not watch videos on their computers.

You really believe that? I know precicely no-one besides myself who even owns a bluray player, or media player because everyone thinks its just as easy to play on their laptops! The unfortunate truth is the only people who own bluray or media players are moderately tech savvy movie enthusiasts and above.

Your 95% judgement is way off!

otisg
Sep 8, 2013, 09:39 AM
I'm glad to see some spirited discussion about my post, however, my original point was just that a (large, established) company finally released a consumer product featuring HEVC. Yes, for it to be a big deal it will have to be implemented in hardware, but this is clearly the beginning of the wave.

chirpie
Sep 8, 2013, 10:05 AM
Boo Hiss to the negative nancy's that try to win their fights with semantics.

Yesterday I couldn't encode and play back h265. Today I can. As worthwhile an update in a codec's lifecycle as any.

paulrbeers
Sep 8, 2013, 10:55 AM
You really believe that? I know precicely no-one besides myself who even owns a bluray player, or media player because everyone thinks its just as easy to play on their laptops! The unfortunate truth is the only people who own bluray or media players are moderately tech savvy movie enthusiasts and above.

Really? Everyone thinks its just as easy to watch on their laptops? You must be in college. In a home environment, rarely is a movie watched on a laptop. You don't get 4 people crowded around a 15" screen when there is a 40" screen sitting in the middle of the living room. Yes 95% of the real world want to etch movies on their big screen which requires some type of set top box (whether a media streamer, Bluray, etc.). I can't tell you the last time I watched a full length movie on my laptop. That would just be silly. The closest was the time I played it on my laptop but streamed it to my Appletv. My parents and grandparents would not even consider watching a movie on a laptop. So lets see between me and every generation above account for 25 years and older and my children and nieces and nephews do not have laptops, so that accounts for age groups of 10 and younger (at least), so now you are looking at maybe 11-24years as even an audience that would even consider watching a movie on a laptop.... I would say watching on portable devices (tablets and phones) would be the preferred viewing for most in the category of 11-24 since many have those devices. I would say my 95% is pretty accurate. So phones, tablets, and set top boxes all require a decoder (not a software decoder) so let me know when that is released and then I will agree that h.265 has arrived.

Mr. Retrofire
Sep 8, 2013, 10:57 AM
...Yes, for it to be a big deal it will have to be implemented in hardware, but this is clearly the beginning of the wave.
That's what the HEVC user said, as he saw the tsunami coming.

ravenvii
Sep 8, 2013, 02:48 PM
Bizarre thread here... he's just sharing the first implementation of H.265 in a consumer product. H.265 is being called the successor to the H.264 codec so this should be interesting, not some weird fanboy battle.

We're getting a glimpse into a likely future of video codecs.

Or are you guys really arguing that we are gong to stay on H.264 and 1080p forever?

Bizarre. :confused:

northernmunky
Sep 8, 2013, 02:54 PM
Really? Everyone thinks its just as easy to watch on their laptops? You must be in college.

I'm 33 and work for the biggest TV platform in this country. We also provide IP streaming of our channels because we recognise that their is a shifting trend towards viewing TV via laptops, smartphones, and tablets and this year saw a big rise in viewership via devices that are not TV's. We actually saw a dip in sales on flatscreens.

You can look through this if you want:
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/resources/library/BBC/MEDIA_CENTRE/TV_Licensing_Telescope_Report_2012.pdf

Dont have time to go through the whole thing but heres a quote:
More of us are using our mobile devices to watch TV. By the end of 2011, 39% of households watched TV content on a smartphone, while 14% used a tablet.

H.265 is going to be very important in the next few years bringing visually better quality content over 3/4G networks and home broadband. The H.265 encoder developed by NHK in Japan for use with 4k and 8k UHD broadcasts for example have already been successful as they developed the world's first HEVC/H.265 real-time encoder for 8k Ultra HD in their cameras.

The technology isnt ready to roll out to the masses, but it is here and can be played with and experimented with. I certainly won't be about to mass re-convert my movie collection to Divx's HEVC because who knows how the standard for home use will develop in the coming months/years...

But for me, I can now set up a beefy render machine in an edit suite, with a H.265 encoder and render out files at half the size of H.264 that clients/producers can take away on USB sticks for review. Half the size means I can give them better quality renders and thus more likely to spot issues in programme content that can be reported back.

I can do this now.

Its here.

northernmunky
Sep 8, 2013, 03:09 PM
Bizarre thread here... he's just sharing the first implementation of H.265 in a consumer product. H.265 is being called the successor to the H.264 codec so this should be interesting, not some weird fanboy battle.

Or are you guys really arguing that we are gong to stay on H.264 and 1080p forever?

Haahaaa, I hate fanboy battles, dont have time for them!
Only reason I'm carrying this on is because I want to be promoted from a macrumors 6502 so I can have a pic on the left :D

ugahairydawgs
Sep 8, 2013, 04:06 PM

Eye of the beholder I guess. I don't know anyone, outside of college students, that use their laptops as a media player.

Just because you consume media a certain way and the people you know consume media a certain way doesn't mean that is the case for most people. Doesn't make anyone's way "right" or "wrong", just that everyone has their own way of going about life in this world.

paulrbeers
Sep 8, 2013, 04:17 PM

I'm no fanboy of h.264. I'm merely pointing out that being supported in a software encoder does not mean it has arrived. Hardware decoders are more important!

----------

I'm 33 and work for the biggest TV platform in this country. We also provide IP streaming of our channels because we recognise that their is a shifting trend towards viewing TV via laptops, smartphones, and tablets and this year saw a big rise in viewership via devices that are not TV's. We actually saw a dip in sales on flatscreens.

You can look through this if you want:
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/resources/library/BBC/MEDIA_CENTRE/TV_Licensing_Telescope_Report_2012.pdf

Dont have time to go through the whole thing but heres a quote:
More of us are using our mobile devices to watch TV. By the end of 2011, 39% of households watched TV content on a smartphone, while 14% used a tablet.

H.265 is going to be very important in the next few years bringing visually better quality content over 3/4G networks and home broadband. The H.265 encoder developed by NHK in Japan for use with 4k and 8k UHD broadcasts for example have already been successful as they developed the world's first HEVC/H.265 real-time encoder for 8k Ultra HD in their cameras.

The technology isnt ready to roll out to the masses, but it is here and can be played with and experimented with. I certainly won't be about to mass re-convert my movie collection to Divx's HEVC because who knows how the standard for home use will develop in the coming months/years...

But for me, I can now set up a beefy render machine in an edit suite, with a H.265 encoder and render out files at half the size of H.264 that clients/producers can take away on USB sticks for review. Half the size means I can give them better quality renders and thus more likely to spot issues in programme content that can be reported back.

I can do this now.

Its here.

Holy crap then! Thats my whole point! Tablets and smartphones also require a hardware decoder right?!? Just like a set top box! That was Mr retrofire's original point was it not?!? THANK YOU FOR MAKING OUR POINT. And no laptops are not the preferred method, it's ARM based devices like phones, tablets, and set top boxes just as YOU pointed out.

Also pointing out that just because something is used in a household doesn't make it the preferred method. We watch shows and movies on our iPads here, but we still prefer our 50 and 55" TVs. Also the tv industry is down because there hasn't been anything truly revolutionary releases in the last 5+ years. Just advancements in LCD technology. 3D I doesn't interest many, smartTVs are oka but a separate box is preferred. Tablets and smart phones are the "new thing" (and require a hardware decoder *wink*)

Pompiliu
Sep 8, 2013, 04:29 PM
Haha. Tsunami is such a funny word. Tsunami. I like saying tsunami.
Hey, my tsunami is bigger than yours. :eek:

Sorry for offtopic, i'm on a acid trip.:cool:

priitv8
Sep 9, 2013, 12:32 AM
Tablets and smart phones are the "new thing" (and require a hardware decoder *wink*)I wonder, how many of them are used to watch the main program and how many as the "second screen"?
Capturing viewers' attention on the 2nd screen will be the next big thing in broadcast industry.

ezekielrage_99
Sep 9, 2013, 01:19 AM
H.264 required a wide-spread adoption (i.e. hardware decoders in mobile devices, which can not use a 90 Watt quad-core processor, to decode 720p H.264 video). The H.265 standard needs the same wide-spread adoption before Apple, adult movie studios, and others can sell H.265 encoded content. It is also not clear, which container format H.265 uses in the future. H.264 uses at the moment the MP4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp4#Data_streams) and MKV container formats.

A very good point regarding adoption, though I do believe within a few years you'll see the same with h.265 because it is the next logical progression for codec with high definition video.

Bishope1999
Sep 12, 2013, 03:51 PM
Singulus Technologies AG announced that it has successfully developed BLULINE III, a new replication line capable of manufacturing triple-layer Blu-ray Discs with a storage capacity of 100GB. The BLULINE III will allow the production of next generation optical discs using the current BLULINE II machines for dual-layer Blu-ray Discs.

Following the announcement Dr.-Ing. Stefan Rinck, Chief Executive Officer of Singulus Technologies AG, commented: "Just in time for the market introduction of the new ultra-high definition television technology (4K or Ultra-HD), we completed the development of the production technology for the new triple-layer Blu-ray Discs with 100GB storage capacity. For Singulus Technologies AG, in the Optical Disc segment the year 2013 has been very positive overall. Until the end of this year's August we received significantly more orders for Blu-ray Disc production machines than in the prior-year period. We also see good opportunities for the sales of our Blu-ray production equipment in the future. The positive life cycle of the Blu-ray Disc will continue for some years with the launch of the new ultra-high definition television format".

The following information was also provided with the official announcement:

"The further advancement of today's Blu-ray Discs, the triple-layer Blu-ray Discs with 100GB storage capacity, is the preferred playback medium for the new 4K technology. With the realization of a new and specifically designed data compression method for the ultra-high definition technology, the storage volume per information layer can be increased from 25GB to 33GB. In its committees, the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is currently discussing the specifications of new, global standards. Singulus Technologies already completed the marketable concept of a new replication line.

At the IFA 2013 media and technology companies provide insights into the future of television: Sky, Astra, Sony, Harmonic, the Fraunhofer Heinrich-Hertz-Institute and the German TV-Platform present ultra-high definition. The new generation of high definition television provides four times the resolution (3,840 x 2,560 pixels) of HDTV. 4K will become less expensive: in Berlin a Chinese manufacturer is presenting new Ultra-HD TVs with a price tag of less than €2,000.

In the 1st half of 2013 Blu-ray Disc sales increased by 41 % compared with the same period one year ago (German Association of Audio-Visual Media (BVV), August 2013). With a share of more than 90 %, physical media (Blu-ray and DVD) also continue to dominate sales in the home entertainment market in 2013. Blu-ray Disc sales in the U.S., the international key market, will expand with a double-digit growth rate in 2013. This favorable trend is amplified by the market launch of the new ultra-high definition television technology and the upcoming market introduction of the new gaming consoles Playstation PS4 by Sony and Microsoft's Xbox One. Both gaming consoles are even expected to be equipped with a Blu-ray drive with 4K support to win the consumers' favor. At several gaming conventions and the IFA, the two new consoles were a highlight."

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12140

Getting closer to 4k content :D.... Either a firmware update to some Blu-ray players, or the really old players would have to be replaced. The PS4 will likely lead this in a strong way. My guess is that they will release a Blu-ray movie with the 4k version and and the 2k version in the second disc, doubtful that all the Blu-ray players available will be able to perfectly read the third layer. Sell a 4k/2k version and a stand alone 2k version. Similarly to how they sell the 3D/2D Blu-ray movies and the stand alone 2D version.

priitv8
Sep 13, 2013, 08:34 AM
Sell a 4k/2k version and a stand alone 2k version.The more I read, the less I understand these resolution marketing terms. What is possibly the 2k movie that I could play back on a standard BD player?
Up to FullHD, we used to count vertical resolution. Now, for the marketing hype to look better, we count the horizontal resolution!
PS for me personally, a true 4k movie would mean a 7680x4320 image.

JGRE
Sep 13, 2013, 08:50 AM
In case you missed it...

Installed: 32bit, crap crashed immediately. I removed directly.

MyMac1976
Sep 13, 2013, 09:07 AM
it's not like we haven't seen h.265 coming for quite some time now. It'll end up in ARM in a short while.

Bishope1999
Sep 13, 2013, 09:13 AM
The more I read, the less I understand these resolution marketing terms. What is possibly the 2k movie that I could play back on a standard BD player?
Up to FullHD, we used to count vertical resolution. Now, for the marketing hype to look better, we count the horizontal resolution!
PS for me personally, a true 4k movie would mean a 7680x4320 image.The 2k resolution is 2048x1080 while our HDTV's and Blu-ray players have a resolution of 1920x1080, which is pretty close. For a movie that is filmed with a aspect ratio of 2.39:1, the actual resolution of that movie is around 1920x800 on Blu-ray, while a movie that was filmed with an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 will have an actual resolution of 1920X1080. The vertical resolution of these two films will be different, but only because of the aspect ratio the movie was filmed in. Our tv's are 16x9 and not 21x9, which is why Full HD is mainly referred to as 1080p. But regardless of one movie having less vertical resolution than the other, the image quality does not change at all. The number of pixels remain the same in the same area.

So any Blu-ray movie is pretty much close enough to 2k. Take for example Avatar. That movie was filmed in 2k and not in 4k. So the Blu-ray version that is out now, is about as close as you're going to get to the original way it was filmed.

Same thing will happen with 4k if they decide to market it as 2160p. As long as our TV's remain 16:9 and not 21:9, the movies will lose vertical resolution if they're wider than 1.78:1.... If we were to have 21:9 UHD TV's, then the movies would have a lower horizontal resolution if it is not as wide as 2.35:1..... But in the end, the image quality remains the same. The only thing that changes is the aspect ratio of each film.

Edit: Also forgot to mention, a resolution of 7680x4320 would be referred to as 8k. 4k has a resolution of 3840×2160 We are still a bit away from those tv's or delivery methods.

Bishope1999
Sep 13, 2013, 10:21 AM
Regarding this encoder. I encoded a sample video at the max bitrate that it offered, 11 mbps, original file was 1920x1080i at 24mbps. When the encode finished, I played it back and noticed the image quality was downgraded when compared to the original file. A lot of compression artifacts were all over the video. When I went further into the settings, I noticed that it only is encoding files in h.264 in 1080 and up to 2160. But the option to encode in H.265/HEVC are not available at the moment. All it says for the two HEVC codec option is that the profile is not currently available, support is expected soon.

So this encoder, is not encoding videos in h.265/HEVC. It's only encoding files in h.264/AVC at the moment.

priitv8
Sep 13, 2013, 10:24 AM
Edit: Also forgot to mention, a resolution of 7680x4320 would be referred to as 8k. 4k has a resolution of 3840×2160 We are still a bit away from those tv's or delivery methods.That's my question. It used to be 480/576, 720 or 1080 referring to vertical resolution. Now we are talking about 2k, 4k and 8k, referring to horisontal resolution. Is that just for marketing bigger numbers?

Bishope1999
Sep 13, 2013, 10:29 AM
That's my question. It used to be 480/576, 720 or 1080 referring to vertical resolution. Now we are talking about 2k, 4k and 8k, referring to horisontal resolution. Is that just for marketing bigger numbers?Oh I see. Well it's up the studios how ever they want to market it. They can either market it as 2160p or 4k. It seems like 4k is what they are going to go with, but also if they market it as 2160p, the general public may have a better understanding of it because they are so familiar with 1080p as being HD.

My guess is that 2160p will be heavily marketed so people will know, but they will most likely go with the Ultra HD/ 4k names as a "newer thing." The 2160p will be more recognizable and I think they will promote it as well to inform people.

NMF
Sep 14, 2013, 01:30 AM

I'm not sure why you're being all negative about this, Netflix has already stated that they'll be using H265 for 4k content in the future. The Blu-Ray Association has said the same thing about using it to deliver 4K blu-ray movies in the future. Everyone's just been waiting for it to be finalized. H265 is gonna be the new standard.

Not that you need any of those references to know that anyway. H.265 provides the same (or better) picture quality that we currently enjoy with H.264 at half the file size. Obviously it's going to become widely-adopted codec used by every media file on the planet. The bandwidth savings for both provider and consumer will be astronomical.

Yeesh.

That's my question. It used to be 480/576, 720 or 1080 referring to vertical resolution. Now we are talking about 2k, 4k and 8k, referring to horisontal resolution. Is that just for marketing bigger numbers?

Yes.

My guess is that 2160p will be heavily marketed so people will know, but they will most likely go with the Ultra HD/ 4k names as a "newer thing." The 2160p will be more recognizable and I think they will promote it as well to inform people.

The CEA decided on Ultra HD (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57535570-221/ultra-high-definition-officially-replaces-4k/) as the official consumer title for 3840×2160. So far we've seen both "4K" and "Ultra HD" in the marketing for these televisions -- which have been out for a few years now and are already starting to hit mass market price points (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7674736&CatId=8893).

potatis
Sep 14, 2013, 04:59 AM
couldn't the new iPhone decode h265, if not now then by a future iOS update?

Bishope1999
Sep 14, 2013, 10:50 AM
The CEA decided on Ultra HD (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57535570-221/ultra-high-definition-officially-replaces-4k/) as the official consumer title for 3840×2160. So far we've seen both "4K" and "Ultra HD" in the marketing for these televisions -- which have been out for a few years now and are already starting to hit mass market price points (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7674736&CatId=8893).Thanks. I had not looked up the official report from the CEA, but it did seem that they were going with the 4k/UHD wording.

Mr Dobey
Sep 15, 2013, 02:13 AM
Thank you OP for posting this!

The Samsung Galaxy S4 can hardware decode H.265 HEVC. And that's about as mainstream adapted as it gets.

in other news... when was the last time anyone watched a DivX file? Maybe downloading porn off LimeWire in the 90's lol how are they still in business?

rkuo
Sep 15, 2013, 08:12 PM
There are a lot of improvements and optimizations in h.264 implementations right now that will extend the lifetime of h.264. It's perfectly feasible to deliver in 4K with h.264 right now. I've seen several demos and they look great at bitrates well under blu-ray and even feasibly over a good broadband connection.

h.265 is a good theoretical advancement, but translating it into practical hardware and software implementations will take a lot of time.

ravenvii
Sep 15, 2013, 09:25 PM
in other news... when was the last time anyone watched a DivX file? Maybe downloading porn off LimeWire in the 90's lol how are they still in business?

Back in those days I used Morpheus.

NOW that's old skool!

Peteman100
Sep 16, 2013, 12:07 AM

Unfortunately not. It will require hardware decoding support in the SOC, which will have to come with a hardware update. I'd guess the iPhone 6.

Pigumon
Oct 12, 2013, 04:12 AM
The more I read, the less I understand these resolution marketing terms. What is possibly the 2k movie that I could play back on a standard BD player?
PS for me personally, a true 4k movie would mean a 7680x4320 image.

Well, actually we didn't. We used to say VHS, or Laserdisc, and eventually DVD. When we quoted numbers we said both, 640 x 480. It wasn't until the HD marketing that we dropped to the vertical which was SILLY to begin with since the vertical number changes in HD depending on the aspect ratio. There are "720" movies that are not 720 at all, but ARE 1280 no matter what.

Anyway, back to the op, 265 sounds very cool, but probably wont care until Apple or at least Handbrake supports it.

charlituna
Oct 12, 2013, 10:32 AM
Not that you need any of those references to know that anyway. H.265 provides the same (or better) picture quality that we currently enjoy with H.264 at half the file size.

Or the same file size for much better quality. Which is what I would like to see.

It's time for online versions to have parity with the quality and features of disks and more reasonable pricing. Especially TV shows. Buy a season on iTunes or Amazon and you pay as much as twice what you would for a disc box set with way less quality, basically no features etc.

----------

We could see it first on the iPad, which is the more video friendly screen size. And the ATV box. Heck for the Apple TV it could be a main reason for a hardware overall.

JGRE
Jul 11, 2014, 08:06 AM
Installed: 32bit, crap crashed immediately. I removed directly.

Divx: correct total crap!

brand
Jul 11, 2014, 10:37 PM
Divx: correct total crap!

Really? You resurrected this thread to state what it common knowledge.