Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I have a Note 2 and am really considering upgrading to the Note 3. One of the biggest things I use with my Note 2 is the camera to shoot pics and videos on a daily basis. Does anyone have any idea how much better quality the camera in the Note 3 will be? Are they using the same exact camera from the S4? I know the camera will shoot more megapixels, though I want to know with regards to shooting in low light, colors, detail, etc.

Thanks in advance.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have a Note 2 and am really considering upgrading to the Note 3. One of the biggest things I use with my Note 2 is the camera to shoot pics and videos on a daily basis. Does anyone have any idea how much better quality the camera in the Note 3 will be? Are they using the same exact camera from the S4? I know the camera will shoot more megapixels, though I want to know with regards to shooting in low light, colors, detail, etc.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think there are any differences in the camera from the S4.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I think it's the same off the S4. If it is, then you're getting a fantastic camera.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Last edited:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
#1 reason I'm upgrading from note 2 to 3 is the camera. Coming from a iphone 5 to note 2 was a shock. The camera is garbage. My friends s4 takes brilliant photos though, so fingers crossed for similar or better results.

look at the difference in these samples. The note 2 camera is about on par with a iphone 4. The S4 is up there with the iphone 5, although I prefer the processing on the 5.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/samsung/galaxy-note-ii/

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/samsung/galaxy_s4/

I found tho that there is a huge difference if you try other camera software than samsungs. I downloaded the android 4.3 camera and it takes completely dif pics to the samsung one.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
#1 reason I'm upgrading from note 2 to 3 is the camera. Coming from a iphone 5 to note 2 was a shock. The camera is garbage. My friends s4 takes brilliant photos though, so fingers crossed for similar or better results.

look at the difference in these samples. The note 2 camera is about on par with a iphone 4. The S4 is up there with the iphone 5, although I prefer the processing on the 5.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/samsung/galaxy-note-ii/

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/samsung/galaxy_s4/

I agree. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "garbage", but I was a bit disappointed with the Note 2 cam when coming from a iPhone 4S. Sometimes it is as good as the 4S cam, but I find it far less reliable. My "fast draw and shoot" photos would usually come out surprisingly well on the 4S, not so much on the Note 2.

I'm hoping the camera loads faster on the Note 3 as well. How is the cam load time on the Galaxy S4, by the way?

EDIT: Actually now that I've tested it a few times, it seems to me that the camera load time on the Note 2 has improved since the OTA firmware update recently :eek: I've noticed that the landscape/portrait has become more realible and doesn't freeze anymore since the update, perhaps cam load time is related? Because it seems to go through a gyro orientation test each time the cam is started, regardless of whether the phone's orientation has been changed sine the last time the cam was open. Has anyone else noticed this? (Sorry for derail.)

EDIT 2: I'm an idiot, forget everything I said about the camera load time. I hadn't tried turning off animations in the developer options... Now the camera starts up so much faster, holy crap why haven't I done this before? The whole phone feels so much faster now :eek:

Last edited:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I agree. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "garbage", but I was a bit disappointed with the Note 2 cam when coming from a iPhone 4S. Sometimes it is as good as the 4S cam, but I find it far less reliable. My "fast draw and shoot" photos would usually come out surprisingly well on the 4S, not so much on the Note 2.

I'm hoping the camera loads faster on the Note 3 as well. How is the cam load time on the Galaxy S4, by the way?

EDIT: Actually now that I've tested it a few times, it seems to me that the camera load time on the Note 2 has improved since the OTA firmware update recently :eek: I've noticed that the landscape/portrait has become more realible and doesn't freeze anymore since the update, perhaps cam load time is related? Because it seems to go through a gyro orientation test each time the cam is started, regardless of whether the phone's orientation has been changed sine the last time the cam was open. Has anyone else noticed this? (Sorry for derail.)

EDIT 2: I'm an idiot, forget everything I said about the camera load time. I hadn't tried turning off animations in the developer options... Now the camera starts up so much faster, holy crap why haven't I done this before? The whole phone feels so much faster now :eek:

http://m.androidauthority.com/stock-android-camera-apk-photo-sphere-236196/
have you tried this? what do you think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.