PDA

View Full Version : Do you plan to jump from Android, keeping iPhone, or jump to Android?

Starfyre
Sep 7, 2013, 03:10 PM
As the topic states, what are you planning to do when that 5S comes out?

1- Are you jumping from Android to iPhone? (state current phone if possible)
2- Are you jumping from iPhone to another iPhone? (5S)
3- Are you going to jump off of iPhone to Android?

boshii
Sep 7, 2013, 03:15 PM
How would anybody know what they're going to do when we don't even know what the iPhone 5S is?

boomhower
Sep 7, 2013, 10:00 PM
I don't know what Apple would have to do to get me to leave the iPhone but it would have to be pretty darn drastic. I'm pretty much ingrained into the Apple ecosystem at this point.

ukiss
Sep 7, 2013, 10:36 PM
Planning to jump from Android (Galaxy S2) to iPhone for the iTunes Store.
Yes, "Music/Movies on Google Play is not available in your country yet",
but the Note 3 seems really attractive.
Let's see what the 5S will offer then.

whtrbt7
Sep 8, 2013, 12:25 AM
4. Keep iPhone and Android devices.

dumastudetto
Sep 8, 2013, 12:26 AM
I don't know what Apple would have to do to get me to leave the iPhone but it would have to be pretty darn drastic. I'm pretty much ingrained into the Apple ecosystem at this point.

I think we all feel this way. It's almost unimaginable, isn't it?

JackieInCo
Sep 8, 2013, 02:41 AM
More than like, I'll buy the next Nexus so that i can use it with my $30 T-Mobile plan. I never want to be tied to a contract again and I won't pay full price for an iPhone. I bought my first Android phone this year, a Nexus 4 but I still use my 4S too.

LadyX
Sep 8, 2013, 08:04 AM
Nothing. I already jumped ship a week ago. iPhone 5 to HTC One and I couldn't be any happier with the device :D

T5BRICK
Sep 8, 2013, 09:11 AM
I sold my iPhone 4S a few months ago and bought an HTC One.

Here's what Apple needs to do to make me consider switching back:

Open up iOS and allow widgits, 3rd party keyboards, theming, etc.

Allow users to select default apps. I don't want URLs from emails to open in Safari. I don't want location links to open in Apple Maps.

Offer a file system.

Offer a larger screen.

ucfgrad93
Sep 8, 2013, 09:18 AM
I switched to Android from iOS in July. I wanted a larger screen and widgets. Got a HTC One and I really like it.

Timely7
Sep 8, 2013, 09:18 AM
iPhone 6 with a larger screen will cause a lot of current Android users to jump ship to iOS

tbayrgs
Sep 8, 2013, 09:52 AM
OP, you need a few more options:

4: Stay with existing iPhone
5: Stay with existing non iOS device

I stopped using an iPhone earlier this year and am now using an HTC One. I have my sights on a few other devices, none of which are from Apple. ;)

This post pretty much sums up my feelings about ever returning to an iPhone.

I sold my iPhone 4S a few months ago and bought an HTC One.

Here's what Apple needs to do to make me consider switching back:

Open up iOS and allow widgits, 3rd party keyboards, theming, etc.

Allow users to select default apps. I don't want URLs from emails to open in Safari. I don't want location links to open in Apple Maps.

Offer a file system.

Offer a larger screen.

This argument really doesn't hold water any longer. Boomhower, I'd bet my home has far more Apple device (Macs, iPhones, iPads, iPod, Apple TV, Airport devices, etc) and is firmly planted in the Apple ecosystem yet I have no problem continuing to interact with any/all of them via my Android devices. Yes, you may have to repurchase some apps but my guess is if you can afford to drop $199-399 on a new phone, rebuying a few apps shouldn't break the bank. You'll also find that many apps that cost money on iOS are free on Android.

pmau
Sep 8, 2013, 09:57 AM
You can always own both ... no reason to fuel the iOS vs. Android camp.
Note that I chose the OS names, I don"t care about hardware specs anymore.

onthecouchagain
Sep 8, 2013, 10:01 AM
This argument really doesn't hold water any longer. Boomhower, I'd bet my home has far more Apple device (Macs, iPhones, iPads, iPod, Apple TV, Airport devices, etc) and is firmly planted in the Apple ecosystem yet I have no problem continuing to interact with any/all of them via my Android devices. Yes, you may have to repurchase some apps but my guess is if you can afford to drop $199-399 on a new phone, rebuying a few apps shouldn't break the bank. You'll also find that many apps that cost money on iOS are free on Android.

I have to agree with all of this. I, too, have all Mac products at home and both my android phone and tablet talk nicely with everything.

Yet one more talking point against android diminishing.

bova80
Sep 8, 2013, 10:47 AM
Jumping from iPhone 5 to LG G2. Still have my iPad mini and MacBook Pro to keep me within apple.

onthecouchagain
Sep 8, 2013, 11:41 AM
iPhone 6 with a larger screen will cause a lot of current Android users to jump ship to iOS

I have no doubt about this and it will be a nice day when Apple finally offers some larger screen options, but for me, it's gotten to a point where that isn't enough.

daveathall
Sep 8, 2013, 11:43 AM
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and find no difficulty in integrating it with my MBP and iPad Mini. I can not see me switching back to an iPhone for a considerable time. :)

auero
Sep 8, 2013, 12:19 PM
Bought a Nexus 7 to try yesterday. Really like it but my dependancey on the apple ecosystem is making it hard to leave. I do like Android though. Going to have to see what Apple does with the 5S. I'll stay if they include NFC and if the fingerprint technology looks good.

The Game 161
Sep 8, 2013, 12:28 PM
i switched from an iphone 5 to the S4 and will be getting the note 3 too.

I'm now tempted to sell my ipad 2 and get the galaxy note 10.1 to go with my galaxy note 8.0 too. so yes i'm almost completely dumped apple completely.

only reason why i may not sell my ipad 2 is to see IOS 7 and what it's like.

Technarchy
Sep 8, 2013, 12:48 PM
Got a GS4, but kept my iPhone 5 which I got on launch day last year.

ChrisTX
Sep 8, 2013, 01:24 PM
I've got a GS3 that I currently use, and was planning on upgrading to the Note 3. However now that it's been released, I'm not so sure I want it anymore. I might just get a 5S. The OS is more reliable, and I'm not sure that I want a phablet anymore. I still might get a Note 3, but I'm definitely watching closely come Tuesday. :cool:

paulbennett95
Sep 8, 2013, 02:02 PM
I tried a Sony Xperia TL, didn't like it too much, I'm sticking with Android on my tablet. I might buy a Lumia 521 to try out WP8, but otherwise I'm sticking with my iPhone.

Oohara
Sep 8, 2013, 02:17 PM
Switched to Android and a Note 2 a few months ago, and I don't see myself going back in the foreseeable future.

I've never been less excited about iPhones than right now. I'm definitely getting the Note 3, and with Samsung constantly upping their game I can't even imagine what Apple could realistically do to make things really interesting for me again, even in the perspective of several years.

For tablets I'll be forced to give Windows a try because I need a tablet/laptop hybrid and the Lenovo hardware on the ThinkPad Yoga will be impossible for me to pass up. I'd be very keen on getting the latest Note 10.1 from Samsung as well, because that split window really rocks and makes that tablet a real choice for productivity/work tasks. I can see the new Scrapbook app being extremely useful too.

So yeah, I'm extremely pleased with Android so far and it looks like things are only getting better. I used to spend all my time drooling over Apple products but I honestly can't even remember what that was like anymore.

Fireblade
Sep 8, 2013, 02:58 PM

I highly doubt this, as the bigger screen is just one thing an android user is used to.
Much left for Apple to make it happen.

The Game 161
Sep 8, 2013, 03:37 PM
apple need to do more than just get a 6 inch screen...there are plenty of other factors they need to change. for alot it works but it's too restricting to me.

F123D
Sep 8, 2013, 03:54 PM
I've seen what the Note 3 has in store. At this point, there's almost nothing the 5S has to offer that would make me consider upgrading to it. Even if apple surprised everyone with a 5 inch screen, that still wouldn't be enough.

onthecouchagain
Sep 8, 2013, 04:06 PM
I've never been less excited about iPhones than right now.

Ditto.

So yeah, I'm extremely pleased with Android so far and it looks like things are only getting better.

I'm so much more excited about future GPE editions and this year's Nexus 5. My interest for the Xperia Z1 is a nice runner up, too.

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 8, 2013, 04:41 PM
This isn't dependent on the 5S release but I'm jumping (again) from iPhone 5 to Nexus 5 on day one of sale.

Vegastouch
Sep 8, 2013, 04:49 PM

So they could release the same phone every year and you would just buy it?

TacticalDesire
Sep 8, 2013, 06:19 PM
What about keeping my current phone?

mattopotamus
Sep 8, 2013, 07:12 PM
For me personally it is a financial game. The iPhone and nexus line work nearly the same in my lifestyle, but one is half the price. Until that changes I will stay with a nexus.

JackieInCo
Sep 8, 2013, 07:20 PM
For me personally it is a financial game. The iPhone and nexus line work nearly the same in my lifestyle, but one is half the price. Until that changes I will stay with a nexus.

Exactly this and the fact that I can go with whatever carrier I want on the Nexus and not have to unlock it. The price is the second biggest factor.

APhillyApple
Sep 8, 2013, 08:20 PM

Agreed, Apple would have to totally blow it for me to leave them. I dont see that happening so, with Apple I stay! :apple:

zbarvian
Sep 8, 2013, 08:26 PM
I'm stuck in the middle of my upgrade cycle, so for me it comes down to the iPhone 6 and iOS 8. If I could switch now, though, I probably would go to the Nexus 5. The 5S seems like a completely mediocre update, unless there's something we aren't seeing (IGZO screen, A7, application for fingerprint sensor). I am really itching for a bigger screen and I really don't like the iOS 7 aesthetic.

boomhower
Sep 8, 2013, 08:29 PM

Just personal preference. Android devices provide much the same functionality as iOS. I just like how they work so nicely with essentially no work on my end. I'm getting lazy with tech as I get older I suppose. I've went from building my own computers to just wanting everything to work with little work from me.

Plus I'm just not a fan of Android. I've used it extensively in the past but stopped at 2.3 when I went iPhone. A while back I bought a Galaxy Nexus to have a modern device with 4.0+ version of the OS to give it a fair shake. I didn't like at all. It worked fine but the way it worked I didn't like. I prefer who iOS goes about things. I hope Android continues to improve and stays massively popular, keeps Apple moving on down the road.

So they could release the same phone every year and you would just buy it?

Um, no. I said it would take something drastic. I don't buy a new phone every year. I won't be buying one this year. If I buy one next year it will likely be a C model unless they just hit it out of the park with the 6. I'm not a fan of spending $700 on a phone very often.

I'm just saying they would have to make a pretty big screw up, and given my buying patterns mentioned above it would have to be a screw up they continue with over multiple years or series of them.

Like I said, Android is a great OS. It's just not my cup of tea.

dojoman
Sep 8, 2013, 08:32 PM

I hope not. After using HTC One it was pita to use it one hand. I almost dropped it attempting to reply text one handed. I sure hope apple does not give in to large screen bs. Leave the large screen to Android.

Oohara
Sep 8, 2013, 08:41 PM
I hope not. After using HTC One it was pita to use it one hand. I almost dropped it attempting to reply text one handed. I sure hope apple does not give in to large screen bs. Leave the large screen to Android.

Some people prefer larger screens, some don't. Why would you hope that Apple deny a large portion of potential iPhone owners a choice they like? If Apple finally did make a larger screen iPhone, they would most likely retain a smaller size alternative as well.

tbayrgs
Sep 8, 2013, 09:06 PM
Just personal preference. Android devices provide much the same functionality as iOS. I just like how they work so nicely with essentially no work on my end. I'm getting lazy with tech as I get older I suppose. I've went from building my own computers to just wanting everything to work with little work from me.

Plus I'm just not a fan of Android. I've used it extensively in the past but stopped at 2.3 when I went iPhone. A while back I bought a Galaxy Nexus to have a modern device with 4.0+ version of the OS to give it a fair shake. I didn't like at all. It worked fine but the way it worked I didn't like. I prefer who iOS goes about things. I hope Android continues to improve and stays massively popular, keeps Apple moving on down the road.

Fair enough, I can certainly appreciate choosing based on preference. My reply was really just to point out that there really aren't the limitations that may have once been more prevalent.

I also really like the 'plug and play' aspect of using Apple devices within the Apple ecosystem. However, I found these benefits were no longer outweighing the limitations and Android and much of its hardware have matured to make it a more worthwhile experience, IMO. I would be more than happy to jump back to iOS if there were certain changes to be the software and hardware (read: larger display) as there still are aspects of iOS and the iPhone that I prefer--just not enough anymore to compensate for its shortcomings.

*Batman*
Sep 8, 2013, 09:08 PM
As the topic states, what are you planning to do when that 5S comes out?

1- Are you jumping from Android to iPhone? (state current phone if possible)
2- Are you jumping from iPhone to another iPhone? (5S)
3- Are you going to jump off of iPhone to Android?

In all likelihood, I'll stay with the iPhone, although the HTC One does look really nice.

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 8, 2013, 09:30 PM

Great point.

----------

I'm stuck in the middle of my upgrade cycle, so for me it comes down to the iPhone 6 and iOS 8. If I could switch now, though, I probably would go to the Nexus 5. The 5S seems like a completely mediocre update, unless there's something we aren't seeing (IGZO screen, A7, application for fingerprint sensor). I am really itching for a bigger screen and I really don't like the iOS 7 aesthetic.

But with Nexus you can switch now. $350, a SIM card swap and you are good. If you sold you iPhone you would make money.

boomhower
Sep 8, 2013, 10:02 PM
Fair enough, I can certainly appreciate choosing based on preference. My reply was really just to point out that there really aren't the limitations that may have once been more prevalent.

I also really like the 'plug and play' aspect of using Apple devices within the Apple ecosystem. However, I found these benefits were no longer outweighing the limitations and Android and much of its hardware have matured to make it a more worthwhile experience, IMO. I would be more than happy to jump back to iOS if there were certain changes to be the software and hardware (read: larger display) as there still are aspects of iOS and the iPhone that I prefer--just not enough anymore to compensate for its shortcomings.

Yes, the display. I can certainly understand that one. While I prefer the 4" for one handed use Apple is missing the boat, they need a larger screen phone ASAP. One feature I of Android I would really like to see on iOS is support for other video formats. I would love to be able to dump MKV's without converting to mp4. What else is there about Android that keeps you there other than screen size? Just curiosity.

landscapeman
Sep 8, 2013, 10:40 PM
I already jumped ship as well. Definitely happier than I thought I would be. Personally I didnt like where iOS 7 was going and the small steps apple has been growing in the hardware department. I am constantly asked how I like the S4 and about the features, even by random strangers. I know 5 friends that were iPhone users that also switched to a galaxy device and 1 to the HTC after seeing mine. The new androids are awesome devices and apple has a real issue, unless they step up their game.

tbayrgs
Sep 8, 2013, 11:03 PM
Yes, the display. I can certainly understand that one. While I prefer the 4" for one handed use Apple is missing the boat, they need a larger screen phone ASAP. One feature I of Android I would really like to see on iOS is support for other video formats. I would love to be able to dump MKV's without converting to mp4. What else is there about Android that keeps you there other than screen size? Just curiosity.

Customization, flexibility, and notifications.

1). I prefer the notification system of Android, hands down. Not only can you customize what's in view, I can swipe aside any individual notifications I don't need or clear them all, control whatever audio I'm listening to, so much more function and flexibility. Pair it with the LED and it's awesome. I'm contemplating trying a Moto X so I can try out Active Notifications which seem to take it to any even better level.

2). Customization options are nearly endless. To give some perspective, on iOS I can choose my wallpaper and arrange my app icons almost anyway I like. On Android, I can do so much more. For instance, to start, I've setup my lockscreen with a custom unlock widget that allows me to directly launch any of 18 different apps.

Once unlocked, using Nova Prime launcher, I have 5 different home screens (can have more or less, whatever one prefers) arranged with a collection of app icons, folders, and widgets. I can have app icons anywhere I like (i.e. only along the bottom, for instance) vs. them automatically snapping to the next free position on the screen as done in iOS. I also have a dock that scrolls independently from the home screens--I like having 3 sets of 5 icons in my dock. Again, beauty of Android is I can have more or less, almost whatever I want. I don't use a ton of widgets but I like having one with my calendar quickly viewable (and editable) and another with my Twitter feed. Lastly, I have a custom theme that changes the appearance of all of my icons.

I also run a couple of other apps that, in conjunction with the gesture options provided by Nova Prime, let me navigate around my phone without ever having to touch my home button, multitasking button, or app drawer, all via simple gestures.

3). In addition to the flexibility of customization, I can setup whatever app I want to serve as the default app for functions. I can choose what browser opens when I touch a web address, what app to open when I select a photo, what app opens when I touch an address, etc. Also, when I choose to share something, I can select any appropriate app vs. the few that iOS may allow. And while I never had problems using iTunes to coordinate syncing of data and media, I prefer having the flexibility to use something as simple as drag and drop or an app like AirDroid to quickly do it wirelessly.

Oh, and another example of flexibility. Similar to the trusted Bluetooth device element of the Moto X, I was able to set up my HTC One to not require my lockscreen security (pin number) if it's connected to my Pebble smartwatch.

I'm sure I could come up with a ton more but this alone illustrates why I prefer Android, right now. As I mentioned, there are still elements of iOS that I like--the consistency between OS and apps, the simplicity of certain elements, the backup functionality and integration with other Apple devices. However, it's just not enough to compensate for everything that cannot be done.

Again, this is all just my preference and I can certainly understand someone seeing it differently and preferring iOS. Sorry to ramble on so long. I've also included a couple of screenshots showing how I'm able to quick launch apps from my lockscreen.

Arni99
Sep 8, 2013, 11:04 PM
Sold my iPhone 5 and got a Nokia Lumia 1020 :p .

12vElectronics
Sep 8, 2013, 11:12 PM
Sold my iPhone 5 and got a Nokia Lumia 1020 :p .

How long do you think that will last?

onthecouchagain
Sep 8, 2013, 11:58 PM

Not just half the price. But also arguably more value too.

blackhand1001
Sep 9, 2013, 12:02 AM
Bought a Nexus 7 to try yesterday. Really like it but my dependancey on the apple ecosystem is making it hard to leave. I do like Android though. Going to have to see what Apple does with the 5S. I'll stay if they include NFC and if the fingerprint technology looks good.

Give it a few days. You'll get more comfortable with it.

onthecouchagain
Sep 9, 2013, 12:12 AM
Customization, flexibility, and notifications.

1). I prefer the notification system of Android, hands down. Not only can you customize what's in view, I can swipe aside any individual notifications I don't need or clear them all, control whatever audio I'm listening to, so much more function and flexibility. Pair it with the LED and it's awesome. I'm contemplating trying a Moto X so I can try out Active Notifications which seem to take it to any even better level.

2). Customization options are nearly endless. To give some perspective, on iOS I can choose my wallpaper and arrange my app icons almost anyway I like. On Android, I can do so much more. For instance, to start, I've setup my lockscreen with a custom unlock widget that allows me to directly launch any of 18 different apps.

Once unlocked, using Nova Prime launcher, I have 5 different home screens (can have more or less, whatever one prefers) arranged with a collection of app icons, folders, and widgets. I can have app icons anywhere I like (i.e. only along the bottom, for instance) vs. them automatically snapping to the next free position on the screen as done in iOS. I also have a dock that scrolls independently from the home screens--I like having 3 sets of 5 icons in my dock. Again, beauty of Android is I can have more or less, almost whatever I want. I don't use a ton of widgets but I like having one with my calendar quickly viewable (and editable) and another with my Twitter feed. Lastly, I have a custom theme that changes the appearance of all of my icons.

I also run a couple of other apps that, in conjunction with the gesture options provided by Nova Prime, let me navigate around my phone without ever having to touch my home button, multitasking button, or app drawer, all via simple gestures.

3). In addition to the flexibility of customization, I can setup whatever app I want to serve as the default app for functions. I can choose what browser opens when I touch a web address, what app to open when I select a photo, what app opens when I touch an address, etc. Also, when I choose to share something, I can select any appropriate app vs. the few that iOS may allow. And while I never had problems using iTunes to coordinate syncing of data and media, I prefer having the flexibility to use something as simple as drag and drop or an app like AirDroid to quickly do it wirelessly.

Oh, and another example of flexibility. Similar to the trusted Bluetooth device element of the Moto X, I was able to set up my HTC One to not require my lockscreen security (pin number) if it's connected to my Pebble smartwatch.

I'm sure I could come up with a ton more but this alone illustrates why I prefer Android, right now. As I mentioned, there are still elements of iOS that I like--the consistency between OS and apps, the simplicity of certain elements, the backup functionality and integration with other Apple devices. However, it's just not enough to compensate for everything that cannot be done.

Again, this is all just my preference and I can certainly understand someone seeing it differently and preferring iOS. Sorry to ramble on so long. I've also included a couple of screenshots showing how I'm able to quick launch apps from my lockscreen.

I really can't foresee Apple offering this level of customization anytime in the near future (or ever).

I've always said customization is more than skin deep. It's not just about how things look. It's also about functionality and usability. You're free to cater the phone to your specific needs and preferences. People around these forums always talk about how important preferences are. Well no other platform gives you as many preferences as android does.

Savor
Sep 9, 2013, 12:24 AM
I learn new things with Android everyday. It keeps me on the edge.

I dont see myself going back to iOS unless I get a tablet which I'm not really interested in. I dumped Apple for Google this year selling off my last Apple device.

And honestly, I like to own gadgets that most other people dont own or know about. Apple and Samsung is just way too common for me. Pop stars of the tech world.

Think different, right?

But the one gadget I'm looking at is a Samsung camera. I'm content with my phones already. I like the Galaxy Camera just because it has 21x optical zoom compared to the 10x from the S4 Zoom. I need a decent camera with Android on it. Easier for me to send it to my phones without a computer.

verpeiler
Sep 9, 2013, 01:20 AM
Just returned my GS4 (stutters, lag, obnoxious touchwiz), now waiting for tomorrow. If nothing really surprising happens, I'm going to get a HTC One or Nexus 4/5.

Technarchy
Sep 9, 2013, 01:40 AM
I highly doubt this, as the bigger screen is just one thing an android user is used to.
Much left for Apple to make it happen.

You might doubt it, but if iOS dropped on a 5" screen tomorrow, there would be a huge exodus to the iPhone.

If Apple sold something like this, I would not own a GS4 right now.

onthecouchagain
Sep 9, 2013, 01:42 AM
The 5s is looking more and more disappointing if any of this is accurate:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhone-5S-promotional-document-reveals-the-phones-new-features_id47229#4-

Not even an upgrade to the back camera mega pixels? But this article predicts 12mp upgrade.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhone-5S-7-new-features-of-the-seventh-generation-iPhone_id46538

verpeiler
Sep 9, 2013, 02:04 AM
That's what I meant, disappointing. Coming from a N4 and (now returned) GS4 I just can't imagine coming back to such an 'antiquated' device, let alone paying 679 for it.

The Game 161
Sep 9, 2013, 07:35 AM

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhone-5S-promotional-document-reveals-the-phones-new-features_id47229#4-

Not even an upgrade to the back camera mega pixels? But this article predicts 12mp upgrade.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhone-5S-7-new-features-of-the-seventh-generation-iPhone_id46538

Not even 13 camera?

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 9, 2013, 08:16 AM
I jumped from Android late last year to the iPhone 5 when that came out. I was worried about all the apps I bought on Android and the fact I would have to purchase all of them again on iOS, but once you have them, its no big deal. I got a good price for my Samsung Galaxy S3 and noticed the positive difference as soon as I got the iP5. I couldn't be happier. :)

Everybody has different needs though. I certainly wouldn't make a decision on where to jump to until you have seen all the players in the equation. I would suggest a hands on go with each device.

Vegastouch
Sep 9, 2013, 08:19 AM

Yeah that second article sounds like they are guessing what features it will have.

tbayrgs
Sep 9, 2013, 08:42 AM
Not even 13 camera?

I'd rather have a lower aperture sensor than just adding megapixels--8 mp is more than needed unless you're using your phone for supersized photos.

Regardless, everything else just screams underwhelming so does a minor change in camera really matter? I'll be keeping an eye on the proceedings tomorrow but this is easily the least excitement I've had for an Apple announcement/unveiling.

The Game 161
Sep 9, 2013, 08:59 AM
I'd rather have a lower aperture sensor than just adding megapixels--8 mp is more than needed unless you're using your phone for supersized photos.

Regardless, everything else just screams underwhelming so does a minor change in camera really matter? I'll be keeping an eye on the proceedings tomorrow but this is easily the least excitement I've had for an Apple announcement/unveiling.

Given what other companies are coming out with its a surprise certainly. They better bring something big for iPhone 6.as right now they are lagging behind.

TG1
Sep 9, 2013, 11:37 AM
I jump back and forth. Typically go to Android during the "S" variants of the iPhone. Currently rocking the HTC One and will likely return for the iPhone 6.

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 11:45 AM
I think the 5S will be a better upgrade than people think (because of course, if the numbers on a spec sheet don't go up, its a fail update :rolleyes:....).

I also think the key feature focus (aside from iOS 7 and the fingerprint sensor) will be BATTERY LIFE.

All the rumors point to a relatively small 30% power boost in the new SoC, but Apple is also adding a 8.5% increase in battery capacity. These two things, coupled with new software features that help mitigate battery efficiency and the possibility of IGZO could mean we see a sizable increase in battery life.

Take this year's MBA as an example. Relatively low power boost, but a HUGE gain in battery life. Perhaps Apple thinks the iPhone 5 has plenty of power and has now turned to maximizing battery efficiency?

My guesses - only a day left to wait and see now. Being disappointed before the announcement even happens is ludicrous.

Pompiliu
Sep 9, 2013, 11:48 AM

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 11:51 AM
You might doubt it, but if iOS dropped on a 5" screen tomorrow, there would be a huge exodus to the iPhone.

If Apple sold something like this, I would not own a GS4 right now.

I can't tell you how much I miss my iPhone 5 running iOS 7 running now....

My 4S feels stubby and outdated :p

Funny though I don't feel that way when switching between my GS4 and the 5. Sure the 4" screen is smaller, but it didn't FEEL bad. I actually quite preferred it on a regular basis.

I think the 16:9 aspect ratio is the key here....going back to 3:2 on a phone doesn't work for me. And I didn't realize how much I liked iOS 7 until I was back on iOS 6.....

skratch77
Sep 9, 2013, 12:01 PM
Couple people at my work are about to switch from an iPhone 5 to a note 3.they have pretty much made up there minds but are waiting until tom to see what the 5s brings and both of them said if the screen is not bigger they are getting note 3s

tbayrgs
Sep 9, 2013, 12:03 PM
I think the 5S will be a better upgrade than people think (because of course, if the numbers on a spec sheet don't go up, its a fail update :rolleyes:....).

I also think the key feature focus (aside from iOS 7 and the fingerprint sensor) will be BATTERY LIFE.

All the rumors point to a relatively small 30% power boost in the new SoC, but Apple is also adding a 8.5% increase in battery capacity. These two things, coupled with new software features that help mitigate battery efficiency and the possibility of IGZO could mean we see a sizable increase in battery life.

Take this year's MBA as an example. Relatively low power boost, but a HUGE gain in battery life. Perhaps Apple thinks the iPhone 5 has plenty of power and has now turned to maximizing battery efficiency?

My guesses - only a day left to wait and see now. Being disappointed before the announcement even happens is ludicrous.

Are people clamouring for better battery life in the iPhone though? IMO, battery life is one area where the iPhone isn't deficient. People generally aren't moving from iOS to Android due to it's superior battery performance. It's only been recent generations of Android devices that were finally offering good to great battery life.

Yes, better battery life is always welcome. My point is though that Apple is focusing on areas that aren't really a problem. Take a poll of consumers using something other than iOS and ask them what it would take to have them return to the iPhone and I suspect better battery performance wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list.

And I'll agree it's foolish to be prematurely dissappointed. That being said, leaks of new features over the past few years have been pretty accurate and Apple really hasn't surprised us in a pretty long time, and thus the tempered enthusiasm you may be seeing.

Technarchy
Sep 9, 2013, 12:19 PM
I can't tell you how much I miss my iPhone 5 running iOS 7 running now....

My 4S feels stubby and outdated :p

Funny though I don't feel that way when switching between my GS4 and the 5. Sure the 4" screen is smaller, but it didn't FEEL bad. I actually quite preferred it on a regular basis.

I think the 16:9 aspect ratio is the key here....going back to 4:3 on a phone doesn't work for me. And I didn't realize how much I liked iOS 7 until I was back on iOS 6.....

The 4S has 3:2 aspect ratio.

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 12:36 PM
Are people clamouring for better battery life in the iPhone though? IMO, battery life is one area where the iPhone isn't deficient. People generally aren't moving from iOS to Android due to it's superior battery performance. It's only been recent generations of Android devices that were finally offering good to great battery life.

Yes, better battery life is always welcome. My point is though that Apple is focusing on areas that aren't really a problem. Take a poll of consumers using something other than iOS and ask them what it would take to have them return to the iPhone and I suspect better battery performance wouldn't be anywhere near the top I'd the list.

And I'll agree it's foolish to be prematurely dissappointed. That being said, leaks of new features over the past few years have been pretty accurate and Apple really hasn't surprised us in a pretty long time, and thus the tempered enthusiasm you may be seeing.

Apple doesn't operate that way IMO. The things people who don't use iOS want are things I doubt Apple would add AT ALL (though I do think they move to larger screens next year).

I suppose I just don't have the expectations of my phones that many of you have. I thought the iPhone 5 was a nice upgrade, despite the vitriol Apple received for it. I think many rely too much on numbers on a spec sheet and fail to actually do some digging to find out what ACTUALLY has been upgraded.

For Apple, it's all about efficiency. If they have the iPhone optimized to the point where they feel more power is unnecessary, they'll stop making huge CPU improvements.

People can always go for more battery life. Which is why I think Apple, in lieu of beefing up the processor to a quad-core chip, will go for added battery life.

Most of the reasons I've seen people give for moving away from iPhone/iOS are either software related or have to do with the screen size. The first really won't change much in that Apple's and Google's philosophies differ greatly on the presentation and implementation of software goes. The second will be addressed in 2014 IMO because Apple's working to re-align the iPhone line.

This year they add the cheaper version (because they see it as the fastest way to gain more marketshare in places like China - just so happens to coincide with the China Mobile deal - not coincidental). Next year they add the larger iPhone to the mix and instead of seeing 1 new product every year with the older models serving as the cheaper versions, we'll see 3 updates each year.

Just can't (won't) release 2 BRAND NEW phones in one year, which is why they stagger it out like this.

Just my thoughts anyways.

----------

The 4S has 3:2 aspect ratio.

Right - I thought this as I typed it out. Has been fixed, thanks.

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 9, 2013, 12:52 PM

Yes, better battery life is always welcome. My point is though that Apple is focusing on areas that aren't really a problem. Take a poll of consumers using something other than iOS and ask them what it would take to have them return to the iPhone and I suspect better battery performance wouldn't be anywhere near the top I'd the list.

I think the whole innovation craze in the mobile market has reached a plateau and people have expectations far beyond what we can realistically expect. The iPhone at present is a great product and satisfies many people worldwide, any adjustments are welcome of course, but my demands seem a lot less than many. I really don't know what Apple have to do to satisfy everybody? Larger screen, no thanks, but I feel they could make these adjustments and it still wouldn't be enough. If people don't like the iPhone then cheerio and buy something that fulfils the needs. It really is that simple IMO.

Cnasty
Sep 9, 2013, 12:56 PM
I am probably way off here and not as informed as most in this forum but I feel Apple just keeps giving nibbles of what they can actually do instead of living up to their potential.

I understand from a business model that its pretty ingenius.The Apple followers will almost buy anything they put out to a certain extent but to sway new buyers and show off what they are capable of they hold back.

I love Apple and their products. I have most of them. A couple years ago I got tired of the minimal releases on their phones and gave the S3 a try. I was blown away at all the customization and the screen size that I never had before from owning an iPhone since it came out.

I may go back to an iPhone but only when it suits my needs more than an Android device.

I feel Apple could easily make the biggest, best, and fastest smartphone in the world but they choose not to because they dont have to...yet.

tbayrgs
Sep 9, 2013, 01:26 PM
I think the whole innovation craze in the mobile market has reached a plateau and people have expectations far beyond what we can realistically expect. The iPhone at present is a great product and satisfies many people worldwide, any adjustments are welcome of course, but my demands seem a lot less than many. I really don't know what Apple have to do to satisfy everybody? Larger screen, no thanks, but I feel they could make these adjustments and it still wouldn't be enough. If people don't like the iPhone then cheerio and buy something that fulfils the needs. It really is that simple IMO.

I won't sit here and preach that one OS is better than another because, as you pointed out, it's largely based on preference. And I personally don't expect Apple to please everybody--has never been there m.o. But I don't think anyone can argue that significantly higher numbers of high end Android devices are being sold every year, with significantly more new Android users vs. iOS. Yes, there are dozens of cheaper Android handsets that go for next to nothing but at the same time, the huge increases in sales of Android flagships is being seen every year. Apple is losing sales opportunities and the message consumers see from the media more and more, is that the iPhone is losing it's luster vs. the competition. And IMO, they aren't doing anything to stem the tide.

Saying innovation has reached a plateau is nonsense and I see it spoken by iPhone users all the time. You personally may find no need for further advances (though I doubt that) but millions of others don't. Look at what's come out just recently--LG's knock on/off feature and the ability to pair your phone to your tablet to manage calls. How about Motorola's latest offerings in their newest devices. I'd argue that Active Notification, always on voice recognition and Moto assist are some of the best innovations we've seen in a while. And now they're also taking a page out of Apple's playbook by focusing on optimization rather than beating an OS into submission with high power specs. That's been Apple's strength until now--what happens when other realize this benefit, and they offer so much beyond it? Where is Apple's advantage then?

There will always be millions of Apple customer who love what they offer and that's great. My concern for Apple is that they seem to just be treading water while their competition is swimming right past them. I was your typical diehard Apple fan for many, many years--all of the tech in our house was from Apple and I wouldn't consider anyone else because Apple could do no wrong. I looked forward to these announcements and product unveilings and couldn't wait to see what they'd offer next. But over the past year, that's changed and it truly makes me a bit sad. I've found better options for my phone and will likely not be getting another iPad this year, after owning all previous versions. If this happened to me, it can certainly happen to other Apple consumers. In fact, I see it happening more and more all the time. My family and friends were predominantly Apple users but now even my tech illiterate mom and sister are considering make a change after seeing what else is out there.

I'm at MacRumors quite a bit but guess which forum I spend most of my time in. I'd like to get excited about Apple products again, just don't see it happening anytime soon.

LadyX
Sep 9, 2013, 01:32 PM
I am probably way off here and not as informed as most in this forum but I feel Apple just keeps giving nibbles of what they can actually do instead of living up to their potential.

I understand from a business model that its pretty ingenius.The Apple followers will almost buy anything they put out to a certain extent but to sway new buyers and show off what they are capable of they hold back.

I love Apple and their products. I have most of them. A couple years ago I got tired of the minimal releases on their phones and gave the S3 a try. I was blown away at all the customization and the screen size that I never had before from owning an iPhone since it came out.

I may go back to an iPhone but only when it suits my needs more than an Android device.

I feel Apple could easily make the biggest, best, and fastest smartphone in the world but they choose not to because they dont have to...yet.

I agree with this 100% and I felt the same way when I switched to Android as well.

I still own an iPad and a MacBook but I don't see myself going back to using an iPhone anytime soon. iOS is so restrictive, and you become aware of how restrictive it is when you're a long time iPhone user and you experience Android for the first time.

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 01:35 PM
I won't sit here and preach that one OS is better than another because, as you pointed out, it's largely based on preference. And I personally don't expect Apple to please everybody--has never been there m.o. But I don't think anyone can argue that significantly higher numbers of high end Android devices are being sold every year, with significantly more new Android users vs. iOS. Yes, there are dozens of cheaper Android handsets that go for next to nothing but at the same time, the huge increases in sales of Android flagships is being seen every year. Apple is losing sales opportunities and the message consumers see from the media more and more, is that the iPhone is losing it's luster vs. the competition. And IMO, they aren't doing anything to stem the tide.

Saying innovation has reached a plateau is nonsense and I see it spoken by iPhone users all the time. You personally may find no need for further advances (though I doubt that) but millions of others don't. Look at what's come out just recently--LG's knock on/off feature and the ability to pair your phone to your tablet to manage calls. How about Motorola's latest offerings in their newest devices. I'd argue that Active Notification, always on voice recognition and Moto assist are some of the best innovations we've seen in a while. And now they're also taking a page out of Apple's playbook by focusing on optimization rather than beating an OS into submission with high power specs. That's been Apple's strength until now--what happens when other realize this benefit, and they offer so much beyond it? Where is Apple's advantage then?

There will always be millions of Apple customer who love what they offer and that's great. My concern for Apple is that they seem to just be treading water while their competition is swimming right past them. I was your typical diehard Apple fan for many, many years--all of the tech in our house was from Apple and I wouldn't consider anyone else because Apple could do no wrong. I looked forward to these announcements and product unveilings and couldn't wait to see what they'd offer next. But over the past year, that's changed and it truly makes me a bit sad. I've found better options for my phone and will likely not be getting another iPad this year, after owning all previous versions. If this happened to me, it can certainly happen to other Apple consumers. In fact, I see it happening more and more all the time. My family and friends were predominantly Apple users but now even my tech illiterate mom and sister are considering make a change after seeing what else is out there.

I'm at MacRumors quite a bit but guess which forum I spend most of my time in. I'd like to get excited about Apple products again, just don't see it happening anytime soon.

The mistake is to expect Apple to make changes and innovate at the pace we think they should.

There's a lot that Apple is sitting on that, when it comes to pass, could blow any of their competitors out of the water. The point RealDeal was making is a great one - consumers expect some huge innovation every year and that's simply not realistic.

What's happened is that innovation had become cheapened. So gimmicky features that look really cool in a showroom, but ultimately don't have any effect on the way people use their phones become innovations, but because Apple doesn't play that game they are "behind".

I'm not saying other companies aren't doing a great job. Android has come a long way IMO and is a great option. But if you actually look at handset sales and compared the iPhone line to ANY other smartphone line in the world, no one comes close STILL. And we've been hearing about Apple's demise for the last 2+ years.

Truth is, Android owns the market share because they're willing to go cheap and there are TONS of low-end handset that make up a big bulk or Android activations.

But compare the sales of Samsung's galaxy line to the iPhone line over the same timeframe, and the iPhone is still the king. Heck, the iPhone 5 was still almost outselling the GS4 when it first came out....

Apple is fine and will be fine. I prefer to let them do their thing than whine and complain they aren't "innovating" fast enough for me. The iPhone does everything I need it to do. Would I welcome improvements and features? Absolutely! But I also trust Apple isn't going to release some half-assed feature just to be first. And I commend them for it.

So I know, when I see an iWatch that pairs with your iPhone using biometric sensors and all sorts of other nifty tech or an iPhone made of liquidmetal that's waterproof - I'll know these products have been optimized and are as efficient as they can be.....

And I'm fine waiting the extra year or so it takes Apple to make sure of that. Call me a fanboy if you want.....I'm just content with my devices and understand that for true innovation, you have to WAIT.

The Game 161
Sep 9, 2013, 01:39 PM
I agree with this 100% and I felt the same way when I switched to Android as well.

I still own an iPad and a MacBook but I don't see myself going back to using an iPhone anytime soon. iOS is so restrictive, and you become aware of how restrictive it is when you're a long time iPhone user and you experience Android for the first time.

agreed, it's why I love android now. the way it doesn't restrict you is great. being able to swap batteries on phones, use multitasking spilt windows is exactly what you want on a 10 inch tablet. being able to drag and move tv shows and films on your phone/tablet without worrying about GB space is huge..until apple add those features i won't consider buying anything apple over android/Samsung. I'm now set to sell my ipad 2 for a galaxy note 10.1 2014..and it's for the reasons ive stated.

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 01:40 PM

I find it funny that those who've switched to Android from iOS feel the need to assume how the rest of us feel about iOS and Android.

Just so you know, I started using Android this year after being on the iPhone since the 3GS and in no way did I experience some new freedom in Android that I didn't have in iOS....

Because frankly, I don't care about half the stuff Android supposedly lets me do. I also happen to know/look up how to do many of the things Android users claim are impossible on an iPhone.

To each his own, but what irks me is when people feel the need to "justify" their switch by saying "Well iOS was just so restricting, I had to switch and Android has been amazing". When the reality in all likelihood is they were just bored and wanted something shiny and new.

And I find ZERO fault with people who feel that way! Because that's exactly why I added an Android phone to my device lineup. I had the opportunity to use 2 phones and wanted to try new things. And I've gone through 3 Android phones since Feb because I just want to try the new, shiny thing out.

----------

agreed, it's why I love android now. the way it doesn't restrict you is great. being able to swap batteries on phones, use multitasking spilt windows is exactly what you want on a 10 inch tablet. being able to drag and move tv shows and films on your phone/tablet without worrying about GB space is huge..until apple add those features i won't consider buying anything apple over android/Samsung. I'm now set to sell my ipad 2 for a galaxy note 10.1 2014..and it's for the reasons ive stated.

I wasn't aware that Android phones had unlimited storage space.....can you tell me how I can turn on this feature?

The Game 161
Sep 9, 2013, 01:47 PM
I find it funny that those who've switched to Android from iOS feel the need to assume how the rest of us feel about iOS and Android.

Just so you know, I started using Android this year after being on the iPhone since the 3GS and in no way did I experience some new freedom in Android that I didn't have in iOS....

Because frankly, I don't care about half the stuff Android supposedly lets me do. I also happen to know/look up how to do many of the things Android users claim are impossible on an iPhone.

To each his own, but what irks me is when people feel the need to "justify" their switch by saying "Well iOS was just so restricting, I had to switch and Android has been amazing". When the reality in all likelihood is they were just bored and wanted something shiny and new.

And I find ZERO fault with people who feel that way! Because that's exactly why I added an Android phone to my device lineup. I had the opportunity to use 2 phones and wanted to try new things. And I've gone through 3 Android phones since Feb because I just want to try the new, shiny thing out.

----------

I wasn't aware that Android phones had unlimited storage space.....can you tell me how I can turn on this feature?

Obviously I'm talking about SD card space...why apple refuse to give in to that god knows.

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 01:49 PM
Obviously I'm talking about SD card space...why apple refuse to give in to that god knows.

Because they offer services that make the use of an SD Card superfluous. Also, the lack of a traditional file system would make it difficult to locate what was on the SD Card.

Point being though, you still have to worry about GB at a certain point. If I had a 64 GB iPhone, I'd have to worry about space when I got close. Same with if I had a 128 GB iPad....or a GS4 with 64GB on board and a 64 GB SD Card.

Sure I could continue to buy SD Cards....but that could get expensive.

Rather just let iCloud store all my stuff and pull them down when I want to listen/watch.

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 9, 2013, 01:57 PM

I'm not saying I don't want innovation, I just don't expect every phone to blow me away. I enjoy the little touches to what id already a great product. My 9 to 5 job is a product designer so I'm well aware of what innovation brings. Like yourself I moved platforms after many years as a fan of a particular one. Mine was Android to iOS. I had the S3 and preferred the iPhone experience. I guess we have different preferences when it comes to what we like in a mobile experience. I traded almost unlimited customisation and a larger screen for what I considered a more stable and easier to use OS. The features you listed are nice too see and hopefully if they are successful, then others will follow. I may go back to Android at some point I would never rule that out,

Serelus
Sep 9, 2013, 02:04 PM
Some people prefer larger screens, some don't. Why would you hope that Apple deny a large portion of potential iPhone owners a choice they like? If Apple finally did make a larger screen iPhone, they would most likely retain a smaller size alternative as well.

See, people always say this but it would actually not have a positive result for those who like smaller screens, right now all applications get developed for 1 size, a small fraction of these is for the iPhone 4S which was a smooth transition.

If apple were to release a larger screen iPhone alongside the smaller screen iPhone it would cause developers to split into groups... Developers might choose to drop 1 iPhone and develop for the other exclusively look at iPad vs iPhone... This means I won't have access to all apps available in the appstore. I consider this one of the big factors why I stay with iPhone. Because anytime I watch tv and they announce an iOS version of a service I like, i'll know it'll be available to me. I won't have to worry wether the developers decided to support my screen size in iOS or not.

Djlild7hina
Sep 9, 2013, 02:04 PM
Currently have my S3. Jumped ship to android last year and regretted it for a little but stuck with it and now used to android. I bought an s4 a couple weeks ago but decided to return it to wait for the note 3 and 5s announcements. I'm still deciding whether to go Note 3 or 5s now.

F123D
Sep 9, 2013, 02:21 PM

I don't think the main reason iPhone users are paying $700+ or locking themselves into 2 year contracts is for better battery life.

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 02:24 PM
I don't think the main reason iPhone users are paying $700+ or locking themselves into 2 year contracts is for better battery life.

Right, because better battery life is the ONLY thing they'll announce with the new iPhone :rolleyes:

Not saying ONLY - saying it'll be a focal point IMO. Along with the fingerprint sensor.

Hell, 90% of posters here wouldn't see ANYTHING Apple does as worthy of locking into a 2-year contract unless they turned iOS into Android.

LadyX
Sep 9, 2013, 02:25 PM

Calm down. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I merely stated that I was always an iPhone user and when I switched to Android I felt like it was a huge leap for me in terms of many things but mainly the freedom Android provides. And my core reason for switching was because I felt iOS is so restrictive but also a lot of other factors that I've been looking for in a phone for so long I found in an Android phone.

hagr182
Sep 9, 2013, 02:29 PM
keeping my 4S unitl next year, but I want to enter the Android world as well, since one of my goals is to become a dev on both platforms. What phone I get on late 2014/2015 will depend on the state of each platform.

Though I might end up on iOS, but I am not 100% sure anymore

The Game 161
Sep 9, 2013, 02:31 PM
Calm down. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I merely stated that I was always an iPhone user and when I switched to Android I felt like it was a huge leap for me in terms of many things but mainly the freedom Android provides. And my core reason for switching was because I felt iOS is so restrictive but also a lot of other factors that I've been looking for in a phone for so long I found in an Android phone.

In fairness me switching wasn't all about the restricting of apple. I badly wanted a bigger screen...the iphone 5 for ME is just too tiny of a screen. I just can't do anything worth while on it.

big reason why I'm getting the note 3 is the screen size but I love the S Pen features. I love it on my note 8.0 and thats why i'm switching even though I like my S4.

it depends alot on your usage and how much you use your phone and for what you want it for.

iphone 5S to me is likely to be lacking with an upgrade BUT there are things i don't like about the iphone now and unless they brought out a 5 inch screen i would never consider it...but thats because having a big screen is what i want..

apple and the iphone 5S will be a great device..but not for me.

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 02:31 PM

And you had to throw in that last "And I'm sure the people who have switched with me felt the same".

It'd be so much better if you (and other posters) simply left it at what you put above here, that's all I'm saying.

This is the alternatives section - I get that. Still, it isn't an excuse to give one-sided arguments and lump large groups of people into a generalization that makes one side look bad versus the other.

If that's your opinion and experience, great! You're free to say so (as you did perfectly above), but there are those of us who have switched, and haven't experienced this epiphany. It's a disservice to those who read these forums for points of view to only see one.

downyball
Sep 9, 2013, 02:47 PM
My wife and I are planning to move from Android to iOS with the new 5s release (these will be our first iOS devices). I've used Apple products forever, but smart phones weren't really a priority for me/us until recently. We waited to get our 1st smart phones (LG G2X's) 2 years ago, but now that our contract is up we want to move to the iPhone.

Honestly, we've loved the G2X's and Android and seriously considered getting another Android device, but when it came down to it we both enjoyed the iOS experience and interface better. We also just purchased a refab'd iPad for my wife's sister in Vietnam and to be able to interface with that, our iPhones and my 27" iMac just seems like the right thing to do.

So what are we discussing here? Personal tastes and preferences - nothing more. If the shoe fits, wear it. If you like it, buy it. If it's Android - cool. If it's iOS, that's cool too. Is one cooler than the other?? Well, I guess why we have these kinds of forums so people can actively discuss that if they wish.

But please, don't assume or judge or profess to know which or what is the best flavor of them all, because that's a slippery slope that will show your true colors faster than you can wrap a towel around your naked self.

:D

Go A's!

onthecouchagain
Sep 9, 2013, 02:55 PM
I suppose I just don't have the expectations of my phones that many of you have.

Yet you were mightily unimpressed with the upgrade from S3 to S4. Never mind your dislike of Samsung (or maybe it's precisely that?) but why is Apple's minor upgrades acceptable while Samsung's "minor" upgrades aren't? Why is Apple allowed to focus on one area to improve (your predicted battery life) while others can't (maybe Samsung's main goal was to put a larger screen with more PPI into a smaller/same package?) Why isn't that commended? Are you as easily willing to accept that Samsung just wanted to focus on one area?

Are you lowering the bar for your iPhone because you know not to expect much? Are you raising the bar for others because you know you can expect more?

Just asking the questions.

----------

I want to note that I get that the market has matured and "innovation" is not so easy to do anymore. Just trying to point out potential unfairness in evaluating what constitutes acceptable or unacceptable upgrades.

Personally, I find the 5S upgrades/specs so far disappointing.

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 02:56 PM
Yet you were mightily unimpressed with the upgrade from S3 to S4. Never mind your dislike of Samsung (or maybe it's precisely that?) but why is Apple's minor upgrades acceptable while Samsung's "minor" upgrades aren't? Why is Apple allowed to focus on one area to improve (your predicted battery life) while others can't (maybe Samsung's main goal was to put a larger screen with more PPI into a smaller/same package?) Why isn't that commended? Are you as easily willing to accept that Samsung just wanted to focus on one area?

Are you lowering the bar for your iPhone because you know not to expect much? Are you raising the bar for others because you know you can expect more?

Just asking the questions.

Nope wrong.

You mistake my call for balance with the putting down of Samsung.

I actually said many times I thought the GS3 to GS4 was a nice upgrade. I was merely stating that I thought the 4S > 5 upgrade was nice as well - along the same lines. Perhaps sometimes I phrased it this way - that if the 4S > 5 was a crappy update, so too was the GS3 > GS4.

You may take that to mean I was unimpressed by the GS4 update because YOU think the 4S > 5 was a poor upgrade. But that's not what I said.

Now that presentation on the other hand......yikes....

onthecouchagain
Sep 9, 2013, 02:59 PM

Bravo. All of it.

----------

Nope wrong.

You mistake my call for balance with the putting down of Samsung.

I actually said many times I thought the GS3 to GS4 was a nice upgrade. I was merely stating that I thought the 4S > 5 upgrade was nice as well - along the same lines.

You may take that to mean I was unimpressed by the GS4 update because YOU think the 4S > 5 was a poor upgrade. But that's not what I said.

Now that presentation on the other hand......yikes....

My memory may not be serving me right, but I recall you being quite fervent that the S3-to-S4 upgrades were "just like Apple -- small upgrades." You went on and on about the irony of how Samsung has become the very thing Apple-haters hate about Apple. Minor upgrades, etc.

If I'm remembering this all wrong (it was many months ago) then excuse me. My apologies.

F123D
Sep 9, 2013, 03:02 PM
Right, because better battery life is the ONLY thing they'll announce with the new iPhone :rolleyes:

Not saying ONLY - saying it'll be a focal point IMO. Along with the fingerprint sensor.

Hell, 90% of posters here wouldn't see ANYTHING Apple does as worthy of locking into a 2-year contract unless they turned iOS into Android.

Of course its not the ONLY feature but if it's the key feature..? :confused:

I bet a 4.5"+ screen alone would get more then 10% of people to switch back to the iPhone again.

Arni99
Sep 9, 2013, 03:03 PM
How long do you think that will last?

As long as the Lumia 1020 camera smokes the Iphone 5s/6/6s/7/7s camera :D!

onthecouchagain
Sep 9, 2013, 03:04 PM
The funny thing is I'm not even necessarily asking or requiring Apple to innovate.

Nearly everything I would ask of Apple for the iPhone has already been done. I would just like them to do it! Larger screens, more customization, more freedom (even a hair more), better keyboard, file sharing, etc.

These aren't demands for innovations. These are demands to catch up.

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 03:14 PM
Bravo. All of it.

----------

My memory may not be serving me right, but I recall you being quite fervent that the S3-to-S4 upgrades were "just like Apple -- small upgrades." You went on and on about the irony of how Samsung has become the very thing Apple-haters hate about Apple. Minor upgrades, etc.

If I'm remembering this all wrong (it was many months ago) then excuse me. My apologies.

No you're pretty correct. But I think I tend to have a different definition of minor upgrades and innovations than most here.

While I think the GS3 > GS4 was nothing mind-blowing or innovative, I thought and still think it was a nice update. Same as I think about the 4S > 5.

The whole Samsung irony thing is true in a lot of ways. But it really only has to do with fanboys on each side - each accusing the other side of the same stuff.

I've had to say this a lot today, for whatever reason. If I'm an Apple fanboy, I'm a terrible one because my daily driver is a GS4 and I'll readily admit I like it.

As for the above post you so fervently agree with - this is the part where it begins to break down:

"Saying innovation has reached a plateau is nonsense and I see it spoken by iPhone users all the time. You personally may find no need for further advances (though I doubt that) but millions of others don't."

Saying innovation has reached a plateau does not mean I don't find any need for further advances. In fact, saying we reached a slowing in innovation has nothing to do with my own preferences on the matter. I'm (and others) are simply saying to expect innovation year after year is ludicrous (and setting yourself up for disappointment) because of the simple place the smartphone industry is in.

Would we welcome innovation if it came? Of course! But that doesn't mean we have to complain and cry for it when the phones work perfectly well already.

I find it hilarious that many times, when I try to bring forth the idea that people are overreacting and that Apple is fine, I'm labeled a fanboy. When the reality is, I'm simply content. Is this a crime?

Innovation won't happen because forum posters cry about wanting more features and complain that one platform is behind.

----------

The funny thing is I'm not even necessarily asking or requiring Apple to innovate.

Nearly everything I would ask of Apple for the iPhone has already been done. I would just like them to do it! Larger screens, more customization, more freedom (even a hair more), better keyboard, file sharing, etc.

You shouldn't be demanding these at all from Apple - you should simply go with the platform that works the best for you.

I know you heard this before, but I'll say it again:

Apple has a philosophy. Google has a philosophy (along with the OEMs). It is not within Apple's philosophy to offer all these things. Perhaps they will acquiesce on some (larger screens for instance) but others, like a file system or more customization (depending on what you even mean as that's a very general statement) probably won't happen because it's not within the nature of iOS.

Obviously you think the above statements ludicrous. Which is why Android exists. You are free to go with a platform that offers all of these choices you list. While those of us who prefer iOS the way it is (philosophically speaking) continue to use iPhones. You don't have to understand WHY we prefer iOS, just accept that some of us like it the way it is.

That doesn't mean we don't want ANYTHING changed. But I actually happen to prefer the way iOS handles files. There are improvements to be made for sure, but I don't want a file system and would find that a negative if it were implemented in iOS as it is in Android.

I've asked you this before - maybe you'll answer this time. If Android offers you everything you want (at least the stuff you mentioned iOS needs) and the ecosystem thing isn' a problem (which you've stated), WHY do you want iOS to change so much? Why is a big enough deal to you that you post about it? Why not just use Android and be happy?

F123D
Sep 9, 2013, 03:15 PM
Would we welcome innovation if it came? Of course! But that doesn't mean we have to complain and cry for it when the phones work perfectly well already.

I find it hilarious that many times, when I try to bring forth the idea that people are overreacting and that Apple is fine, I'm labeled a fanboy. When the reality is, I'm simply content. Is this a crime?

I don't know.. ask how content blackberry was. :p

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 03:18 PM
Of course its not the ONLY feature but if it's the key feature..? :confused:

I bet a 4.5"+ screen alone would get more then 10% of people to switch back to the iPhone again.

This was what I said in my post:

"I also think the key feature focus (aside from iOS 7 and the fingerprint sensor) will be BATTERY LIFE"

And you follow with a statement of questioning whether or not people would upgrade for battery life......when that wasn't the only thing I mentioned.

----------

I don't know.. ask how content blackberry was. :p

Ok?

So you're saying that users being content will cause Apple to turn into BB?

Apple won't be around for forever.....no company will. Someone will release some big innovation in the next few years and depending on who it is, companies will die. Do I hope its Apple, sure - but that doesn't mean I can't be content with what I have.

Unlike many of you, I don't think Apple is simply sitting on its hands.....I just think we've entered a lull in smartphone innovation. And, being content with the devices I have, I don't feel the need to lambaste Apple (or anyone) for their supposed lack of innovation or updates.

onthecouchagain
Sep 9, 2013, 03:30 PM
I've asked you this before - maybe you'll answer this time. If Android offers you everything you want (at least the stuff you mentioned iOS needs) and the ecosystem thing isn' a problem (which you've stated), WHY do you want iOS to change so much? Why is a big enough deal to you that you post about it? Why not just use Android and be happy?

Because of the narrative that everything Apple does is "done right" or done to perfection or "just works" which is a detrimental narrative.

Because I wouldn't mind returning to an iPad Mini Retina if it was priced right and the OS got the updates it could have (in some areas, updates that are actually desperately needed).

Because the jailbreak community is figuring out iOS faster than Apple can, and Apple should pay attention.

Because I actually -- gasp -- like Apple products. And actually don't want to see Apple fall and/or fail (not saying this is going to happen anytime soon).

Because it's utterly important to recognize what the competition is doing so Apple keeps improving.

Because people like yourself constantly lower the bar for Apple when they fall short, praise them gloriously when they win small; and conversely, berate others when they happen to fall short, and offer little to no praise where they excel. Believe it or not, you're not helping Apple.

Because many things.

But finally, because this is an open forum. Why do you not want me to talk about Apple? Don't let the truth hurt you so much.

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 03:34 PM
Because of the narrative that everything Apple does is "done right" or done to perfection or "just works" which is a detrimental narrative.

Because I wouldn't mind returning to an iPad Mini Retina if it was priced right and the OS got the updates it could have (in some areas, updates that are actually desperately needed).

Because the jailbreak community is figuring out iOS faster than Apple can, and Apple should pay attention.

Because I actually -- gasp -- like Apple products. And actually don't want to see Apple fall and/or fail (not saying this is going to happen anytime soon).

Because it's utterly important to recognize what the competition is doing so Apple keeps improving.

Because people like yourself constantly lower the bar for Apple when they fall short, praise them gloriously when they win small; and conversely, berate others when they happen to fall short, and offer little to no praise where they excel.

Because many things.

But finally, because this is an open forum. Why do you not want me to talk about Apple? Don't let the truth hurt you so much.

You seem to have more of a vested interest in Apple than I do.....and you assume so much....

I like their products so I use them. As soon as the first part isn't true, I'll move on. I've never said Apple was perfect. There is a sense of loyalty because of how MANY of their products I use, but the alternatives have become quite robust and offer ways to connect and mitigate the potential loss in quality of experience.

Asking you why isn't saying GTFO btw.....I was just wondering.

Ultimately the only (or at least the biggest) power we as consumers have lies in our wallets. If you're going to get mad at me for buying Apple because YOU feel they are falling short and want them to change, I'm sorry.

And it just so happens, Apple isn't doing all that poorly. Maybe it's because we're all brainwashed, or maybe Apple is doing something right (despite the contrasting narrative here), but people continue to buy Apple.

Sorry pal, not all of us share your views.

onthecouchagain
Sep 9, 2013, 03:37 PM
This is what it's come down to, folks. Preferring less. All the while unfairly judging and demanding more from everyone else.

But what else is new, I guess.

Disclaimer: Nothing wrong with preferring less. After all, it's your preference.

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 03:39 PM
Believe it or not, you're not helping Apple.

It's not my job to help Apple.....

I try to present a balanced view on here for other readers' sake, not Apple's. They are going to do whatever they want, and if consumers don't like it they'll stop making money.

I don't understand this:

Stating iOS/iPhone is a great option + being content with what they offer + contradicting FUD when its posted = I think Apple's perfect and I'm driving them to failure.....

----------

This is what it's come down to, folks. Preferring less. All the while unfairly judging and demanding more from everyone else.

But what else is new, I guess.

Disclaimer: Nothing wrong with preferring less. After all, it's your preference.

This is what's wrong with 99% of the posts I argue with.

And you say preferring LESS because that's your opinion, but I don't think I'm getting LESS. Just DIFFERENT.

Really its more:

"This is what it's come down to, folks. Preferring Android. Because if you don't find Android superior you're an Apple fanboy. "

Don't worry Couch, I'll put the word out

"HEY EVERYONE! Stop buying Apple products, specifically those running iOS. Couch thinks they suck and we need to teach Apple a lesson! And make sure you're nicer to Samsung tro....er....people who use Android devices!"

How's that?

tbayrgs
Sep 9, 2013, 03:55 PM
Well, again, I don't begrudge anyone for choosing iOS or the iPhone. If it works for you, terrific. I've simply found that it no longer works best for me and based on what rumors say will be announced tomorrow, it will continue to not meet my personal needs. Someday that may change, I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

onthecouchagain
Sep 9, 2013, 03:56 PM
And you say preferring LESS because that's your opinion, but I don't think I'm getting LESS. Just DIFFERENT.

You keep using that word "different." Sir, every OS is different.

Recognizing how they're different is what matters. No one is stopping you from preferring iOS. Far from it. Like I said, 1) "preferences" just cancel each other out leaving no real room for discussion; and 2) Anybody who really appreciates preference should actually appreciate Android (which I know you do). Android is a platform that precisely allows your preferences to run wild. It's pretty remarkable that Apple consistently hits every nail on the head with your specific preferences -- good for you (really). And if they don't, you're still okay with it (the aforementioned lowering the bar for Apple which you more or less admitted you do).

All fine and dandy. Like I said, they're your preferences. There's nothing I can say about that. I can't say they're not your preferences. Nor would it do any good if I say I "prefer it the other way," would it? What can you do with that information? Not much. What a boring conversation, don't you think.

. Because if you don't find Android superior you're an Apple fanboy. "

Hardly. Notice I'm only talking to you like this. There are plenty of Apple fans here that I don't need to call out. Not to mention, myself -- I'm only this critical of iOS and the iPhone (and to a lesser extent, the iPad) amongst their line of products. I usually praise their macs, mac accessories, and iPods. Weird, huh.

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 04:05 PM
You keep using that word "different." Sir, every OS is different.

Recognizing how they're different is what matters. No one is stopping you from preferring iOS. Far from it. Like I said, 1) "preferences" just cancel each other out leaving no real room for discussion; and 2) Anybody who really appreciates preference should actually appreciate Android (which I know you do). Android is a platform that precisely allows your preferences to run wild. It's pretty remarkable that Apple consistently hits every nail on the head with your specific preferences -- magic. And if they don't, you're still okay with it (the aforementioned lowering the bar for Apple which you more or less admitted you do).

All fine and dandy. Like I said, they're your preferences. There's nothing I can say about that. I can't say they're not your preferences. Nor would it do any good if I say I "prefer it the other way," would it? What can you do with that information? Not much. What a boring conversation, don't you think.

We've been down this path before. I prefer discussions which talk about each independent from others. I don't really feel there is an "apples to apples" comparison because the implementations can vary greatly - and on purpose.

It's very simple to say, "Apple should implement Quick Reply in iOS 7" and then go on to discuss why this feature would be nice to have. I actually did this earlier (:eek: I don't think Apple is perfect!)

It's another to say, Apple is inferior to Android because it doesn't do all these things I want it to do like Android.

The second is what happens too often here and causes all kinds of idiotic debates because its based on preferences.

----------

Hardly. Notice I'm only talking to you like this. There are plenty of Apple fans here that I don't need to call out. Not to mention, myself -- I'm only this critical of iOS and the iPhone (and to a lesser extent, the iPad) amongst their line of products. I usually praise their macs, mac accessories, and iPods. Weird, huh.

Right - because I'm a special breed of Apple fanboy/troll that requires your extra special arguments.....

When I see people making stupid claims I call them out. Sue me.

onthecouchagain
Sep 9, 2013, 04:14 PM
It's very simple to say, "Apple should implement Quick Reply in iOS 7" and then go on to discuss why this feature would be nice to have. I actually did this earlier (:eek: I don't think Apple is perfect!)

It's another to say, Apple is inferior to Android because it doesn't do all these things I want it to do like Android.

The second is what happens too often here and causes all kinds of idiotic debates.[COLOR="#808080"]

First of all, you mean like this? I don't mention the competition here at all. Just that the projected specs of the 5S are disappointing to me.

Or this? Which mentions a mere fact that they have catching up to do, not specifying any particular competitor.

The only time I brought up the competition (Samsung) was to ask you a question specifically about Apple vs. Samsung, which I recalled you were quite disappointed with Samsung's minor upgrades yet perfectly accept and are even apologetic to Apple's [arguably really] minor upgrades. I think that was a fair time to bring up the competition since it related to my question.

Which leads me to my second point:

You're in a thread titled "Do You Plan to Jump Form Android, Keeping IPhone, or jump to Android?"

How can comparisons not be made? The topic title even mentions the two platforms that the OP would like to be discussed. You really think a thread title like that should be void of comparisons?

You're in an Alternative iOS forum.

How can comparisons not be made?

You often post in threads that involve discussion of multiple platforms.

And third, why the heck shouldn't comparisons be made regardless? How else do we gauge what we want? Would I know I want a bigger screen had I not tried a bigger screen? Just one example. I understand we can talk about isolated iOS problems, and I did in my thread about my 30 day iPhone experience. I very specifically highlighted iOS shortcomings, only rarely mentioning Android. So I get it, but regardless, why can't comparisons be made? What are you so afraid of? That one might be deemed better than the other?

I had no problem when people compared iOS back up system to Android's [stock] back up system. I readily admitted Android needed to start expanding that feature, though understood it's not very easy cause of different skins, resolutions, etc. I get why it isn't as robust as iOS, but still happily said they should figure it out somehow. I didn't say "hey hey, stop comparing iOS to Android. Let's just talk independently about Android's back up shortcomings without mentioning how great iOS' is."

Amazingly possible.

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 04:20 PM
First of all, you mean like this? I don't mention the competition here at all. Just that the projected specs of the 5S are disappointing to me.

Or this? Which mentions a mere fact that they have catching up to do, not specifying any particular competitor.

The only time I brought up the competition (Samsung) was to ask you a question specifically about Apple vs. Samsung, which I recalled you were quite disappointed with Samsung's minor upgrades yet perfectly accept and are even apologetic to Apple's [arguably really] minor upgrades. I think that was a fair time to bring up the competition since it related to my question.

Which leads me to my second point:

You're in a thread titled "Do You Plan to Jump Form Android, Keeping IPhone, or jump to Android?"

You're in an Alternative iOS forum.

You often post in threads that involve discussion of multiple platforms.

And third, why the heck shouldn't comparisons be made regardless? How else do we gauge what we want? Would I know I want a bigger screen had I not tried a bigger screen? Just one example. I understand we can talk about isolated iOS problems, and I did in my thread about my 30 day iPhone experience. I very specifically highlighted iOS shortcomings, only rarely mentioning Android. So I get it, but regardless, why can't comparisons be made? What are you so afraid of? That one might be deemed better than the other?

I had no problem when people compared iOS back up system to Android's [stock] back up system. I readily admitted Android needed to start expanding that feature, though understood it's not very easy cause of different skins, resolutions, etc. I get why it isn't as robust as iOS, but still happily said they should figure it out somehow. I didn't say "hey hey, stop comparing iOS to Android. Let's just talk independently about Android's back up shortcomings without mentioning how great iOS' is."

Amazingly possible.

What I posted wasn't a comparison - comparisons involve two sides, usually pros and cons of each.

What happens here is:

-Android does X,Y and Z better than Apple.

And anytime someone says

-Well, actually Apple can do this. Or, well that wouldn't be consistent with their philosophy.

The response:

-FANBOY! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE! (a bit overdramatic, I'm aware).

I've already stated, I'm not holding Samsung to some different standard. You keep bringing that up as if to try and make true this narrative that I am easy on Apple and tough on everyone else, when the truth is I. DON'T. CARE.

My GS4 is great. My HTC was great. My iPhone 5 was great.

There are things about all of them I'd like to change. But all-in-all, I like them all. My SPECIFIC response with regards to the upgrades was brought on because someone was hailing how INNOVATIVE Samsung was for the GS3 > GS4 upgrade. I simply pointed out that, while I do think it was a nice upgrade, I didn't get how one could say such things about Samsung and completely lambaste Apple for the 4S > 5 (in my mind a similarly nice upgrade).

Go ahead and knock that little anecdote out of your argument repertoire.

I try to add a balance to discussions. There are no shortage of Android cheerleaders here, so I don't feel the need to chime in on what I like about Android as often. Unfortunately, when I saying something positive about Apple, I get labeled a fanboy and things escalate. Comparisons have their place, but again claiming one as greater than the other, disallowing any evidence to be made the other way, is not a comparison.....

daveathall
Sep 9, 2013, 04:25 PM
The response:

-FANBOY! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE! (a bit overdramatic, I'm aware).

As far as I'm aware the use of the word fanboy can result in a timeout. Burning at the stake is of course OK. :)

jrswizzle
Sep 9, 2013, 04:28 PM
As far as I'm aware the use of the word fanboy can result in a timeout. Burning at the stake is of course OK. :)

Haha....

Yes, this is true. Perhaps the mods should do something about that, as I doubt we want people burned at the stake :p

xxray
Sep 9, 2013, 04:33 PM
Jumping to Android from iOS. I'm so bored with iOS. The remodel looks nice for the most part but it's just the same iOS that I'm bored of.

Plus, I really want amazing battery life, bigger screen, and better specs.

So I'm switching to the Galaxy Note 3 when it's released.

linkgx1
Sep 9, 2013, 07:51 PM
Jumping to Android from iOS. I'm so bored with iOS. The remodel looks nice for the most part but it's just the same iOS that I'm bored of.

Plus, I really want amazing battery life, bigger screen, and better specs.

So I'm switching to the Galaxy Note 3 when it's released.

I feel like that right now. iOS is cool. But it's like...at the point of diminishing returns right now. I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison though considering Android has been somewhat behind in smoothness and compatiblity. Hmm....

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 10, 2013, 02:26 AM
The funny thing is, I am doing all the same tasks on the iPhone that I did on Android. I admit I am not quite so nerdy as some on here in regards to tweaking my devices with roms, loaders or whatever you guys call them, but my phones all seem to do the same thing. I think we all seem to use our phones for very different things and some tasks are important to some and not others. I can't multitask with physical tasks so the thought of doing it on a phone is alien to me! lol. I just want a device that makes calls, texts, has facebook and twitter, handles email, allows me to surf the net if needed, acts as an egg timer for cooking, gets me up in the morning, has a few news and weather apps, and finally is generally a pleasant and stable experience. I couldn't get all that to fit nicely with Android and perhaps I wasn't techy enough. I don't understand the restrictive argument at all and am yet to be given a realistic example that I can personally relate to. Many list things I can't even begin to understand, and generally they haven't really counted as positives for my uses.

I appreciate you have made the transgression to Android and feel less restricted, and I think if you have found that level of satisfaction, that is great. That is what it is all about, finding a product that suits. My experience was coming from a fairly laggy and often unstable Android experience to iOS, to which I do more or less the same thing day to day. Reading here about others experiences, they all seem to be very different and I suppose I dislike unpredictability. I like a device that is easy to set up and works pretty much straight out of the box. :)

matttye
Sep 10, 2013, 02:46 AM
Keeping my i5 no matter what happens.

bwhinnen
Sep 10, 2013, 02:48 AM
Already jumped. Went from an iPhone 4 to a HTC One. Enjoying the change.

Now it is not as cut and dry as that as I don't see either as better than the other, they do the same thing but achieve it in a slightly different manner. I'm a tinkerer by nature and really enjoy playing about with things so wanted to move onto a different smart phone OS base. I still have my iPad and there are two other iPhones in the house so I still get to play with those :)

By the time one of the contracts is due for renewal the next iteration of the iPhone (after the 5S/5C) will be out. I'm keen to see what the next Nexus is like personally as well as that next iPhone. Can't I have and like both??

ReanimationN
Sep 10, 2013, 09:16 AM
Android is a platform that precisely allows your preferences to run wild.

But it's not iOS- if you prefer iOS, the way iOS works, iOS apps etc., then all the customisability of Android isn't going to mean anything.

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 09:57 AM
But it's not iOS

Thank goodness.

----------

iOS 7 new features preview: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iOS-7-all-the-new-features_id43916

I think one of the biggest thing is photos will be automatically organized. That drove me nuts when I had the 4S and briefly the 5. It's about damn time.

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 01:19 PM
Well, everything is official now.

I dig the finger print scanner and dig parts of iOS 7.

Did you guys notice there's no black iPhone anymore? Maybe they had enough of the anodized black scratching off?

And boy is that iPhone 5C case absolutely hideous. They look like crocs for your phone. I've also heard rumblings that it's $549 off contract.

F123D
Sep 10, 2013, 01:28 PM
Glad I returned my slate iPhone last year. We all knew there were issues with scuffing and scratching and apple pretty much confirms it by ditching the color this year.

Cnasty
Sep 10, 2013, 01:29 PM
I like parts of what was displayed especially the scanner and photo enhancements but I still feel the Note 3 was the right move for me at this time.

Pretty much what we expected to be released, correct? Anyone surprised by anything?

Fanaticalism
Sep 10, 2013, 01:32 PM

Did you guys notice there's no black iPhone anymore? Maybe they had enough of the anodized black scratching off?

And boy is that iPhone 5C case absolutely hideous. They look like crocs for your phone. I've also heard rumblings that it's $549 off contract.

Except that it won't work with any protective case.

Hustler1337
Sep 10, 2013, 01:38 PM
Except that it won't work with any protective case.

Depends on the case. For the majority of designs, it will.

The Game 161
Sep 10, 2013, 01:43 PM
wow what a complete fail by apple..very unimpressive. but really a minor spec bump was expected.

jamezr
Sep 10, 2013, 01:44 PM

Was anyone else as underwhelmed as I was?

blackhand1001
Sep 10, 2013, 01:47 PM

Yes it really is 549. Its been confirmed from apples site. That honestly the only surprise to me. I am shocked that even apple would charge that much for it. I guess I shouldn't be.

F123D
Sep 10, 2013, 01:50 PM
At $549, the 5C doesn't stand for cheap..

bgro
Sep 10, 2013, 01:50 PM

I am. Even though I expected to be underwhelmed I cant help but feel COMPLETELY underwhelmed right now. I just sold my 5 a few days ago and honestly wish I didnt because I see no reason why to spend any $ to upgrade to the 5S. I might get a 5C with my sale $ and save my upgrade for the iPhone 6. Or might get the Note 3

jamezr
Sep 10, 2013, 01:54 PM
At $549, the 5C doesn't stand for cheap..

No...its stands for Cash :-)
Did you see where you can get a plastic case for the plastic IP5c?

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 01:55 PM
Yes it really is 549. Its been confirmed from apples site. That honestly the only surprise to me. I am shocked that even apple would charge that much for it. I guess I shouldn't be.

Classic Apple.

----------

No...its stands for Cash :-)
Did you see where you can get a plastic case for the plastic IP5c?

A hideous case at that.

Technarchy
Sep 10, 2013, 02:00 PM
Will probably get the 5C for my wife with the case.

Holding on the slate 5S and sticking with my GS4 for a little longer. My GS4 is a nice phone, but I don't love it like my 4S and iPhone 5. If it continues to do silly, annoying, unintended android like things, I'll probably get the 5S before year's end.

Samsung is supposed to get 4.3 done in October. If they prove they aren't inept and get an update done sorta timely, that will go a long way with placating me.

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 02:02 PM
Will probably get the 5C for my wife with the case.

Holding on the slate 5S and sticking with my GS4 for a little longer. My GS4 is a nice phone, but I don't love it like my 4S and iPhone 5. If it continues to do silly, annoying, unintended android like things, I'll probably get the 5S before year's end.

Samsung is supposed to get 4.3 done in October. If they prove they aren't inept and get an update done sorta timely, that will go a long way with placating me.

Just curious, have you no interest in Nexus? Aside from the soft keys, I feel like it'd be a better phone for you.

jamezr
Sep 10, 2013, 02:05 PM
Classic Apple.

----------

A hideous case at that.
no simple elegance with those cases....
trying to imitate the Moto X?

Djlild7hina
Sep 10, 2013, 02:05 PM
I was looking forward to an 128gb option for the 5s but sadly that wasn't the case. I'll probably stick with android and go Note 3

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 02:11 PM
If you took out any mention of "Apple" nearly everything on this list would scream mid-range device. It's actually pretty remarkable how far the first iPhone and iOS has carried them -- great head start and continued superior marketing. I'm not being sarcastic. It's truly remarkable.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18zqzkadxh0fwpng/ku-xlarge.png

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18zqq1kpm8jw3png/ku-xlarge.png

JH-
Sep 10, 2013, 02:11 PM
Just curious, have you no interest in Nexus? Aside from the soft keys, I feel like it'd be a better phone for you.

I'm at the point where I want a nexus but don't want to buy tech that doesn't have LTE and will be replaced in a month. If google put out the same phone as the 4 with LTE I would buy it right now. I know that's a low expectation but everything else I need the nexus does.

tbayrgs
Sep 10, 2013, 02:14 PM

Unless you have ignored every leak/rumor put out over the past few weeks, I don't see how anyone could be underwhelmed. Everything released today was exactly what was rumored and Apple hasn't offered a 'one more thing' surprise in years. I was unimpressed, but was unimpressed many weeks ago so what I saw today was no surprise.

My attention is now turned toward the upcoming Nexus phone and KitKat unveiling.

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 02:16 PM
I'm at the point where I want a nexus but don't want to buy tech that doesn't have LTE and will be replaced in a month. If google put out the same phone as the 4 with LTE I would buy it right now. I know that's a low expectation but everything else I need the nexus does.

Oh, I meant the next Nexus. Sorry for confusion.

----------

Unless you have ignored every leak/rumor put out over the past few weeks, I don't see how anyone could be underwhelmed. Everything released today was exactly what was rumored and Apple hasn't offered a 'one more thing' surprise in years. I was unimpressed, but was unimpressed many weeks ago so what I saw today was no surprise.

Same here. I'm completely indifferent to the news. I tempered my expectations, which is sad in itself. Just surprised by a few things: 64 bit (cool, but not sure what that means); the 5C unlock price ($549, ouch); and the hideous 5C case. It was shockingly ugly. Heh.

My attention is now turned toward the upcoming Nexus phone and KitKat unveiling.

Ditto. I sure hope those leaks were really the Nexus...

The Game 161
Sep 10, 2013, 02:19 PM
are apple having a laugh? 469 is a budget phone?

i'm sorry but why would anybody want the 5C?

jamezr
Sep 10, 2013, 02:24 PM

Well not all rumors are true...hence the name rumor. The the whole presentation was well....lacking.
Then $549 (16GB) and $649 (32GB) was unexpected. i thought it would be less considering it was supposed to the phone to take China by storm.
No mention of the new MacPro no mention of Haswell rMBPs...Apple TV?
iWatch? Pretty shiny colors and less substance....underwhelming.....
I will wait for the IP6 next year and see if they go with a larger screen...
But i am with you on the Nexus 5....

OceanView
Sep 10, 2013, 02:25 PM
After todays slight bump in specs and color options, I am really not going back to iOS.
Will be enjoying the Note 3 until next year to see what Apple brings.

F123D
Sep 10, 2013, 02:28 PM
No preorders for the 5S?

You have to go wait in line on launch day if you want the phone that day? WTF??

JH-
Sep 10, 2013, 02:30 PM
Is anyone else surprised that apple is retiring the 5 and not the 4S? Why are they keeping two different connector types on the market?

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 02:32 PM
I will wait for the IP6 next year and see if they go with a larger screen...

As every Apple apologist will say, "There's always next year. Besides, Apple's waiting to get it right, first."

jamezr
Sep 10, 2013, 02:35 PM
No preorders for the 5S?

They open the pre-oders starting.....wait for it..... friday the 13th! :-)

Tikatika
No preorders for the 5S?

Yep! They want to generate the old Apple buzz and excitement. The media will be all over those long lines!

JackieInCo
Is anyone else surprised that apple is retiring the 5 and not the 4S? Why are they keeping two different connector types on the market?

It may be due to accessories. I still have a few car docks that work with my 4S and have not bought a new iPhone partly because of this. I have two cars also that use the old connector and I can use that with my Classic as well. I don't want to have to get a new stereo in each car and then not be able to use my Classic or 4S though I could bluetooth the 4S or use the AUX port but I don't like that.

Tikatika
Sep 10, 2013, 02:36 PM
They open the pre-oders starting.....wait for it..... friday the 13th! :-)

That's for the 5C only!

The Game 161
Sep 10, 2013, 02:37 PM
apple better do something big with the iphone 6 as currently they are lagging behind...

jamezr
Sep 10, 2013, 02:39 PM
That's for the 5C only!

oh...you're right my bad.....
Friday the 13th for the 5C

Tikatika
Sep 10, 2013, 02:40 PM
I was seriously considering going back to iOS with the 5C. But that off contract price is absurd for that phone ... and suddenly, my S4 is looking perfect to me :)

JackieInCo
Sep 10, 2013, 02:41 PM
apple better do something big with the iphone 6 as currently they are lagging behind...

After today, I don't think it's a big issue for them. They will do what they want to do and always have each and every year.

Cnasty
Sep 10, 2013, 02:49 PM
After today, I don't think it's a big issue for them. They will do what they want to do and always have each and every year.

And they will still sell a gabillion phones and have their loyal followers buy them.

They march to the beat of their own drum and have built up the reputation to do so.

But when is the downfall if ever?

Technarchy
Sep 10, 2013, 02:53 PM
As every Apple apologist will say, "There's always next year. Besides, Apple's waiting to get it right, first."

Plenty of S3 owners said the same thing about the S4

JackieInCo
Sep 10, 2013, 02:53 PM
And they will still sell a gabillion phones and have their loyal followers buy them.

They march to the beat of their own drum and have built up the reputation to do so.

But when is the downfall if ever?

That we know for sure. I won't be one of them this year just like I was not last year. Nothing impressive. It's all about contracts again or paying insane prices for unlocked versions.

Though I still prefer iOS apps over Android (comparing app version to same version), I will be buying the next Nexus.

Technarchy
Sep 10, 2013, 02:56 PM
I was seriously considering going back to iOS with the 5C. But that off contract price is absurd for that phone ... and suddenly, my S4 is looking perfect to me :)

The 5C is not a budget phone. It's a higher margin iPhone 5 replacement.

Big difference.

jamezr
Sep 10, 2013, 03:09 PM
The 5C is not a budget phone. It's a higher margin iPhone 5 replacement.

Big difference.

Maybe not "budget" per se. But it is the lower cost current version iPhone....
There is no denying Apple is going for the lower cost market share......

IP5c off contract
$549 (16GB) and $649 (32GB)

IP5s off contract
$649 (16GB) and $749 (32GB) and $849 (64GB)

Technarchy
Sep 10, 2013, 03:15 PM
Maybe not "budget" per se. But it is the lower cost current version iPhone....
There is no denying Apple is going for the lower cost market share......

IP5c off contract
$549 (16GB) and $649 (32GB)

IP5s off contract
$649 (16GB) and $749 (32GB) and $849 (64GB)

I don't disagree, but the notion that Apple was going to sell an iPhone at rural Chinese chicken farmer friendly prices was always way off.

Though I think we will see a lot of 5C's out there for exactly the reason you stated; it's a cheaper new iPhone.

RAPTORSKI
Sep 10, 2013, 03:21 PM
Thinking about replacing my Galaxy Nexus this year but that will likely depend on what new features come along with Android 4.4 KitKat. Possible options I am considering are a next gen Nexus device, Galaxy S4, HTC One or iPhone 5S if I can scrape enough money together for that. (I am not in the U.S.)

I was also thinking to perhaps wait until next year and purchase an iPhone 6 then.

jamezr
Sep 10, 2013, 03:35 PM
I don't disagree, but the notion that Apple was going to sell an iPhone at rural Chinese chicken farmer friendly prices was always way off.

Though I think we will see a lot of 5C's out there for exactly the reason you stated; it's a cheaper new iPhone.

LOL....do "rural Chinese chicken farmers" buy smartphones? :-)
I think they will sell a ton of IP5Cs world wide.

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 03:52 PM
Plenty of S3 owners said the same thing about the S4

Really? I have never heard of Samsung apologist saying "Samsung's waiting to get it right." Not denying it, just saying I've never heard it.

And it certainly isn't as pervasive as Apple apologists saying that, I have to believe. I hear it all the time of Apple.

linkgx1
Sep 10, 2013, 07:55 PM

I think there's a big opportunity Apple missed here. Even Mercedes has 'lower' tier options to compete with Lexus, Hyundai Equss and more with the introduction of its CLA class. Just sayin'. They wouldn't become 'bottom feeders' as some seem to think

----------

Really? I have never heard of Samsung apologist saying "Samsung's waiting to get it right." Not denying it, just saying I've never heard it.

And it certainly isn't as pervasive as Apple apologists saying that, I have to believe. I hear it all the time of Apple.

You haven't been on Android Central have you?

It's a big Samsung-HTC twerkfest there. Especially when the HTC One was revelaled, then the S4. Everyone was whinning about the plastic and the 'superior metal' of the ONe.

Cnasty
Sep 10, 2013, 08:03 PM
I think there's a big opportunity Apple missed here. Even Mercedes has 'lower' tier options to compete with Lexus, Hyundai Equss and more with the introduction of its CLA class. Just sayin'. They wouldn't become 'bottom feeders' as some seem to think

----------

You haven't been on Android Central have you?

It's a big twerkfest there.

I see what you did there...and I laughed.

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 10, 2013, 08:15 PM
I wasn't expecting much but I was very disappointed. Very lackluster. I'm so excited for the Nexus 4 2013. I've left iPhone and came back so many times but this time I'm hoping to be gone for good.

sddabrow
Sep 10, 2013, 08:20 PM
Plan on jumping from the iPhone4S to the Galaxy Note 3. I previously had an HTC Evo and moved on to the iPhone4S when it was announced for Sprint.

I have an iPad2 and Macbook Pro, so I know I will miss the ecosystem. Primarily I will miss iMessage, but believe I can accomplish everything I need to on the Note.

Two main reason for switching - Bigger screen and I like to tinker. I like the idea of a larger screen and being able to multitask. Just the other day I was typing up a draft email on my iPhone, but forgot the name of a customer so had to close the draft, save it, dig through my emails to find the name, then go back into my saved drafts. Would have been 10X easier having two windows open to manage this. I'm also just bored with the iPhone look and feel. Granted everything just works on the device, I'm ready for something new and exciting.

Still crossing my fingers that the Note3 will have Tri-band for Sprint! :)

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 08:32 PM
I'm a fan of larger screen devices but I'm honestly surprised by how many iPhone users are willing to jump to a screen size as big as the Note 3. That's awesome but I didn't expect iPhone users to go that big right away.

The Game 161
Sep 10, 2013, 08:51 PM
I'm a fan of larger screen devices but I'm honestly surprised by how many iPhone users are willing to jump to a screen size as big as the Note 3. That's awesome but I didn't expect iPhone users to go that big right away.

I think it is the new way these days..as big as the note 3 is I think people have gotten used to the bigger screens.

tbayrgs
Sep 10, 2013, 09:11 PM

Could be more of a statement of seeking more functionality rather than being about the screen size. Who knows. I just think a lot of people are ready to try something new.

It really hit me how little the iPhone has changed when I was talking to my mom about the new iPhones. She's been using an iPhone 4 since it's launch, doesn't know if she'll get a 5C or 5S, said she was just excited for a new phone. I told her that while it'll look new, it's not really going to feel any different. Three generations later and it really isn't all that different. :(

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 09:35 PM
To some of us, nothing in this article is new or a revelation.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Has-Apple-lost-its-mojo_id47329

Has Apple lost its mojo?

We've heard it before - Apple is not the same without Steve Jobs, it lacks a visionary, a revolutionary new product, and lada dada. Finally, someone will ask “Has Apple lost its mojo?” The question comes up almost every single time after Apple unveils its new products for the year.

This time, though, it’s clear that Apple is finally on its own. It will soon be two years since we lost Steve Jobs and whatever legacy of products he had left is now clearly released. Some speculated that the iPhone 5 was the last device to have his blessing, and now Tim Cook steers the Apple ship without guidance from the founder.

Let’s be clear - the market did not respond well to the new iPhones. Investors bemoaned with a collective ‘meh’ as Apple shares lost 2.3 points after the unveiling. A look at the rival camp shows a crazy variety of new ideas in all areas - 41-megapixel camera, snap-on camera lenses, large displays, 4K video capture, gigabytes of internal storage (expandable too!), and so on, and so on.

Moreover, Apple’s presentation was strange. Instead of the traditional focus on features, Apple started the iPhone 5S presentation with important, but geeky technical details - a new 64-bit chip, an additional M7 processor, and so on. The narrative that focused on functionality, apps and features suddenly changed to tech specs, an area where Apple will have a hard time running against Android. The narrative changed but its style did not - the whole presentation had a bitter after-taste of ‘been there, done that’ with the same pompous adjectives: “incredible”, “amazing” and “great”.

The two bolded parts stood out for me, especially the latter one. I like Tim Cook and even Ive, but there's something a little unsettling and in some ways insecure about the way they use these words. Like they're trying too hard, exaggerating to compensate for something they won't admit is lacking. It's all a little disingenuous and forced. I've always thought that.

crzdcolombian
Sep 10, 2013, 10:13 PM
I think the iPhone 5 is a big enough screen. I am a guy and need to fit this in my pocket. Where do people who want a 7 inch screen expect to put their phone? To me there are only 2 phones the Samsung Galaxy and the iPhone. Considering everything I own is by apple other than my tv which is a samsung. I am staying in the Apple family. I got a free Microsoft surface from work and it was garbage. I would never touch their phone. I hated andriod on the free HP tablet my job gave me and on the Kindle Fire.

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 10:18 PM
I think the iPhone 5 is a big enough screen. I am a guy and need to fit this in my pocket. Where do people who want a 7 inch screen expect to put their phone? To me there are only 2 phones the Samsung Galaxy and the iPhone. Considering everything I own is by apple other than my tv which is a samsung. I am staying in the Apple family. I got a free Microsoft surface from work and it was garbage. I would never touch their phone. I hated andriod on the free HP tablet my job gave me and on the Kindle Fire.

Everyone, give this guy a round of applause. Great stuff. Comedic gold! Bravo, bravo!

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 10:56 PM
In the Engadget video of the 5S, the guy could only unlock his phone with his right thumb. I assume that's the thumb he scanned to authorize usage of the Touch ID. He couldn't unlock the phone with his other thumb.

So does this mean it can only do one thumb at a time? Can iOS "save" multiple thumbs so that it recognizes more than one thumb (ie. more than say just your right hand)?

Cause if not, doesn't that sort of conflict with people's love for one handed use? What if you happen to pull the phone out with the "wrong" hand?

Very curious about it. Otherwise, it looked nifty.

And FINALLY, you won't have to input your password every single time you download an app. Just need your thumb. Goodness gracious that was obnoxiously annoying. Don't forget, too, that it wasn't that long ago that Apple finally stopped booting you out of the App Store when you began a download.

ReanimationN
Sep 10, 2013, 10:58 PM
In the Engadget video of the 5S, the guy could only unlock his phone with his right thumb. I assume that's the thumb he scanned to authorize usage of the Touch ID. He couldn't unlock the phone with his other thumb.

So does this mean it can only do one thumb at a time? Can iOS "save" multiple thumbs so that it recognizes more than one thumb (ie. more than say just your right hand)?

Cause if not, doesn't that sort of conflict with people's love for one handed use? What if you happen to pull the phone out with the "wrong" hand?

Very curious about it. Otherwise, it looked nifty.

And FINALLY, you won't have to input your password every single time you download an app. Just need your thumb. Goodness gracious that was obnoxiously annoying. Don't forget, too, that it wasn't that long ago that Apple finally stopped booting you out of the App Store when you began a download.

Yep. I checked for that too, seeing as my left and right thumbs have completely different prints.

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 11:06 PM
Yep. I checked for that too, seeing as my left and right thumbs have completely different prints.

Nice. That makes more sense. Thanks for explaining.

----------

So this means the next generation iPad 5 (and next gen iPad Mini, too, I would hope... ) will come with fingerprint scanners, too, no?

----------

Sort of unrelated, but this seems like the most appropriate thread to post it in, but...

You know what else was a little disappointing? Nothing new on the iPod front except for the new "space gray" color (replacing the full black one previously). I was hoping for a redesigned/improved Nano or an improved Shuffle. Gonna get a Shuffle, anyway.

----------

Ugh:

http://i.imgur.com/jpENNMl.png

Double ugh:

http://i.imgur.com/L8DW5cy.png

Apple marketing for the win.

The Game 161
Sep 10, 2013, 11:08 PM
Nice. That makes more sense. Thanks for explaining.

----------

So this means the next generation iPad 5 (and next gen iPad Mini, too, I would hope... ) will come with fingerprint scanners, too, no?

----------

Sort of unrelated, but this seems like the most appropriate thread to post it in, but...

You know what else was a little disappointing? Nothing new on the iPod front except for the new "space gray" color (replacing the full black one previously). I was hoping for a redesigned/improved Nano or an improved Shuffle. Gonna get a Shuffle, anyway.

----------

Ugh:

Image (http://i.imgur.com/jpENNMl.png)

Double ugh:

Image (http://i.imgur.com/L8DW5cy.png)

Apple marketing for the win.

with the way samsung are now adding updated screen quailty/features from the note 3 on the note 10.1the ipad 5 has to come up with something good..

onthecouchagain
Sep 10, 2013, 11:14 PM
with the way samsung are now adding updated screen quailty/features from the note 3 on the note 10.1the ipad 5 has to come up with something good..

I feel like the focus will be the new form factor. Which I'm all for. Smaller, thinner, lighter all sounds good. But I wouldn't expect much else.

The real story will be whether the next iPad Mini gets Retina or not. I have to believe they will. I just can't imagine them milking it (actually, sadly, I can) another year of being so behind the competition in that regard. I'm also hoping the price point will come down, too. First generation products tend to be more overpriced even for Apple standards, and second generation brings it down a little.

And I would hope both iPads will get fingerprint sensor. Would be kind of silly if not.

purplekush604
Sep 10, 2013, 11:24 PM
Ive owned every iphone from the 3g. I gave my wife the 5, great phone i must add, i myself have the 4s jailbroken. I honestly love the phone and will probably keep it as a back up for awhile. Im bored of apple and hate itunes and all their bs restrictions. Im ready for the change to android,
but somewhat unsure on taking the plunge. Are any good phones comparable to the galaxy s4 that will be coming out soon? Would the htc one be the second best? Also can you guys point me in the right direction for a site like iclarified dot com for the gs4?

Thanks

The Game 161
Sep 10, 2013, 11:31 PM
I feel like the focus will be the new form factor. Which I'm all for. Smaller, thinner, lighter all sounds good. But I wouldn't expect much else.

The real story will be whether the next iPad Mini gets Retina or not. I have to believe they will. I just can't imagine them milking it (actually, sadly, I can) another year of being so behind the competition in that regard. I'm also hoping the price point will come down, too. First generation products tend to be more overpriced even for Apple standards, and second generation brings it down a little.

And I would hope both iPads will get fingerprint sensor. Would be kind of silly if not.

I would imagine the ipad 5 gets the fingerprint scanner like the note 10.1 got all the new S pen features from the note 3.

onthecouchagain
Sep 11, 2013, 01:20 AM
You know what's something interesting to consider about the touch id?

If you wake your phone with the home button to just see your notifications you're going to have to lift your finger off the button so as to not unlock your device.

Also this means Apple will never get rid of the physical home button. No soft keys ever for them.

Just some thoughts.

ReanimationN
Sep 11, 2013, 01:38 AM
You know what's something interesting to consider about the touch id?

If you wake your phone with the home button to just see your notifications you're going to have to lift your finger off the button so as to not unlock your device.

Also this means Apple will never get rid of the physical home button. No soft keys ever for them.

Just some thoughts.

Which is excellent news!

LadyX
Sep 11, 2013, 04:12 AM
Now that I actually know what the features and specs of the 5S are, I plan to stay with Android. For me, the HTC One does everything and has everything I ever wanted in a phone and more.

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 11, 2013, 04:20 AM
A guy I work with has put his S4 on eBay this morning and is hoping to get the iPhone 5S at launch. He's jumping. Although all I am reading on the internet is disappointment this morning, it seems much of the media and people I have spoken to are impressed with what Apple introduced yesterday. If this thread was all I had to use to gage the feeling of the masses, it would largely be nagative but the reality is the opposite for some. :)

Oohara
Sep 11, 2013, 05:05 AM
In a way I appreciate how much Apple works to polish their products, but it's becoming just too centered on insignificant details and style for me.

Even the spec bumps on the 5S feel like an insignificant deluxe detail. A7 processor and 64 bit technology, nice, but a 4" screen is just too small to do anything that truly makes use of all that power under the hood. It's like having a Ferrari while living in an area with a 10 mph speed limit. Who cares if Infinity Blade 3 plays smooth as butter when I'm forced to look at the graphics through a keyhole?

And iOS 7 is pretty and all, but that's about it. Sure it's getting better now that Apple is finally adopting some of the interface versatility that Android already has, but the emphasis is on style and putting a premium edge on a very basic experience.

Of all the updates that come with the 5S, only the camera has some real meat. Everything else is polish. Glam. Style. Just look at their website after the release, it looks like a fashion site, much more so than ever before.

Nothing wrong with fashion, or style, but I'm getting concerned that they're locking themselves down too much in that direction, both in development capabilities and brand identity. Will they ever return to being a company that offers new experiences, not just more slick experiences? I'm not so sure I'll bother with keeping with keeping my hopes up for the iPhone 6 anymore.

daveathall
Sep 11, 2013, 05:27 AM
After the announcements on the new iPhones yesterday I cannot see me heading back to Apple as far as phones are concerned for the foreseeable future. I am more than happy with my S4 and would not see any advantage on reverting back to the iPhone. :)

alexforget82
Sep 11, 2013, 08:23 AM
Apple stock is down by 5% this morning...

I want to try Android (htc one or Sony Xperia Z1) but i'm afraid because i have all the apple ecosystem at home (2 iPhone, iMac, iPad and Apple TV...)

mattopotamus
Sep 11, 2013, 08:25 AM

I want to try Android (htc one or Sony Xperia Z1) but i'm afraid because i have all the apple ecosystem at home (2 iPhone, iMac, iPad and Apple TV...)

then you are in the perfect position. If you have an apple eco system in your house the only thing you need is an ipad to control it all.

alexforget82
Sep 11, 2013, 08:28 AM
And how works an Android phone with a iMac ??

onthecouchagain
Sep 11, 2013, 08:29 AM
Which is excellent news!

I figured some would appreciate that thought. :)

LadyX
Sep 11, 2013, 08:40 AM
And how works an Android phone with a iMac ??

For some reason many people believe that Android devices and Macs don't get along. This is completely not true.

auero
Sep 11, 2013, 08:42 AM

What would you be missing? While its early, chromecast looks like it'll shape up to be a nice competitor.

iCole
Sep 11, 2013, 09:05 AM
For some reason many people believe that Android devices and Macs don't get along. This is completely not true.

It is when using a galaxy. I had trouble getting the iMac to recognise my SGS1 to be able to update my software. I never managed to make it recognise my SGS3. Luckily an SD-card does the trick but still.

Cnasty
Sep 11, 2013, 09:18 AM

it really isnt.

i have an s3 and i can very easily get files,pics,and anything else onto my imac.

my phone is the only device that isnt apple as i have an appletv,mac,ipad, and i wont give up the android for phone at this point as i cant wait for my Note 3 as i have been disappointed in the iphone lately.

android works perfectly fine with an imac

tbayrgs
Sep 11, 2013, 09:36 AM

So do I, even more than you, yet my HTC One works just fine with all its Apple siblings.

What parts of the ecosystem concern you? You won't have iMessage or FaceTime on your phone, and some AirPlay limitations, but if you still have an iPad, you won't be without those features, if you need them.

alexforget82
Sep 11, 2013, 09:46 AM
i know...i think i'm just afraid to make a move...:D

I wait for Videotron here in Quebec to get the Z1 or HTC One to change !! By this time i will think if i keep my iPhone 5 and wait for the 6 (another year...) or move to Android.

LadyX
Sep 11, 2013, 10:20 AM
i know...i think i'm just afraid to make a move...:D

I wait for Videotron here in Quebec to get the Z1 or HTC One to change !! By this time i will think if i keep my iPhone 5 and wait for the 6 (another year...) or move to Android.

Wow. I could never do that. Imagine you get disappointed then the year long wait would be for nothing. But you do what you think is in your best interest.

Eidorian
Sep 11, 2013, 10:23 AM
I was considering an iPhone 5C until I saw the price off contract. I should pick up a Nexus 4 before it's out of stock and it'll be at home when I get back from vacation.

Brittany246
Sep 11, 2013, 02:23 PM
I'm sticking with the iPhone. I don't like Android, and every other mobile OS is missing a lot of apps in their app stores. If I only cared about price, I'd just get a cheap ass Android phone.

JackieInCo
Sep 11, 2013, 02:35 PM
I'm sticking with the iPhone. I don't like Android, and every other mobile OS is missing a lot of apps in their app stores. If I only cared about price, I'd just get a cheap ass Android phone.

Obviously you've never even laid your hands on an Android phone before and are not familiar with either the Amazon or Play stores.

Brittany246
Sep 11, 2013, 02:49 PM
Obviously you've never even laid your hands on an Android phone before and are not familiar with either the Amazon or Play stores.

Really? I'm pretty damn familiar with both because I currently have a nexus 7 with the Amazon App Store installed. I said the app stores for other mobile OSes aren't even comparable to the one for ios or android. -_-