PDA

View Full Version : 20" Cinema Display vs 20" iMac

wheezy
Nov 23, 2005, 09:39 AM
So I checked out Aperture, and watched their little videos, and determined that I need to get that program. I can't help it....it's that 'If it's Apple, I want it' curse. However, I have a 12" PB, and that little display just won't cut it. Also, I don't think it's powerful enough to use Aperture as it's intended. I'm sure I could use it, but I'd need a much better graphics card and processor to really enjoy the program, so.....gol'durn'it, I need to buy another Apple.

So....to get to my question, is there a big display difference between the 20" Cinema Display (or Dell I suppose) and the 20" iMac? The iMac has a great screen, my brother has one, but is the 20" CD that much better?

I'll probably end up getting the iMac, and most happily, but would like to entertain the shopping idea of a Cinema Display/PowerMac combo.

jacg
Nov 23, 2005, 10:12 AM
As someone who enjoys using pro apps on my PB 15" I too considered a 20" CD. In the end I plumped for the new iMac. It will keep me going until there is a worthy successor to my 1.25 GHz CPU but my dream set up would be a redesigned small, thin PB (13" wide?) + 20" CD.

The iMac is great (we'll know soon enough how Aperture runs on it) but I am on my third iSight model and it is still noisier than I expected. So if you want to keep mobile you could go for the CD then upgrade your 12" in the future. If you have any specific questions about the iMac, fire away.

ITASOR
Nov 23, 2005, 10:21 AM
Aperture says it will run on:

15- or 17-inch PowerBook G4 with a 1.25 GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor

Or 1.8Ghz+ PM/iMacs, so it looks like it won't run on your PowerBook at all. :(

I'd go with a 17" iMac, I think they're the best deal out there.

chaosbunny
Nov 23, 2005, 10:21 AM
I'd buy the Cinema Display if I were you. You can hook up your PB to it and then decide if you want/need a Powermac or if the PB is enough or if you want a new intel PB in spring/summer.

Just my 2 cents.

Dreadnought
Nov 23, 2005, 12:01 PM
It is said that the new iMacs 20" have a better display then the current 20"ACD. Updates of ACD are expected/rumored in January (MWSF). So, if you are getting a 20" ACD, wait a couple of months!

p0intblank
Nov 23, 2005, 12:06 PM
Yeah, don't buy an ACD right now. I'm holding off until MacWorld. :)

wheezy
Nov 23, 2005, 12:51 PM
What can they update on Cinema Displays? More resolution like they did on powerbooks? I didn't check the hardware specs on aperture, but by watching the clips they have I knew it wouldn't run very fast on my powerbook.

I'll most likely go with the iMac, they're just such a gorgeous all around solid computer for a great price, and easily portable (ie...moving around the house)

jung_offender
Nov 23, 2005, 04:01 PM
I started down this same path a couple of months ago. I opted for the 20" display to plug into my PB only to find that when I got it that I have a miniVGA out, not DVI on my PB so the cinema went back and I am still waiting on the 20" iSight iMac to be delivered (should be here any day now). The display is cracking and I didn't really need the extra processing power of the G5 so I thought I would save the money but all I've done is increase the frustrating wait.

Good luck.

Bear
Nov 23, 2005, 04:54 PM
Aperture won't run on any of the 12" PowerBooks due to the video boards in them.

Get yourself a 15" PowerBook and a 20"(or larger) Cinema Display for a 2 screen setup when at home.

Dreadnought
Nov 24, 2005, 12:10 PM
What can they update on Cinema Displays?
- Better response time (top displays now have 4 mS, Apple still has 16 mS)
- More brightness
- Better contrast ratio
- More pixels!
The ACD are outdated when you compare them to the competition of today, especially if you compare prices. But I would still go for an ACD then something from a different brand.