Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfoley89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Hey, was considering getting a Mac Mini, was just wondering if I can daisy chain 3 Thunderbolt displays and run them with the mini?

jonnykk

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
Vermont
As mentioned above, only (2) can be run on the Mac Mini. I'm running dual Dell 30" U3014's on my Mac Mini at the moment, however in trying the daisy chain method, a mirrored display is the only possibility I have and an extended display is what I want. OSX is not picking up a dual display when I have things connected like this...

I don't think it has anything to do with my cable method, but I plan on trying a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable instead of the Mini DisplayPort > DisplayPort cables I have hooked up to both which came with the monitors. With a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable for the 2nd display the chain would go: Mini DisplayPort > DisplayPort (in) > DisplayPort (out) > DisplayPort (in).

If changing the cabling method around a little bit doesn't work, then my understanding is that a USB > DisplayPort adapter is one option that does work via information I found in another thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.