PDA

View Full Version : 11" for Sixth Form

ShaneBunting
Sep 8, 2013, 10:04 AM
Hi guys,

I'm currently selling my 13" non-Retina PRO model on eBay and aiming to get an entry level 11".

The big Pro is just too bulky in weight and delicate with the glass display etc to be battered around in a backpack all day. It's also too flashy with the glossy screen.

I feel a smaller Air would be less to carry around and therefore less prone to denting due to being thrown about in the backpack due to the lightweight. As it's smaller, it's easier to keep 'hidden' if necessary.

The 4th Gen Haswell is also an added plus. I'm curious to see the performance of the HD 5000 graphics too. 12 Hour battery life (if in the 11") is something that'll be extremely beneficial!

4GB of RAM is a bit low though, and Apple charge quite a lot to double. I've heard of how the SSD can be replaced as there are now custom made 'SSD chips' for the Air. Can the RAM be adjusted in this way?

Thanks. Let me know what you think too!

simsaladimbamba
Sep 8, 2013, 10:06 AM
No, the RAM is soldered onto the logic board, thus you have to pay the 100 USD for the 8 GB upgrade.

clyde2801
Sep 8, 2013, 10:11 AM
Hi guys,

I'm currently selling my 13" non-Retina PRO model on eBay and aiming to get an entry level 11".

The big Pro is just too bulky in weight and delicate with the glass display etc to be battered around in a backpack all day. It's also too flashy with the glossy screen.

I feel a smaller Air would be less to carry around and therefore less prone to denting due to being thrown about in the backpack due to the lightweight. As it's smaller, it's easier to keep 'hidden' if necessary.

The 4th Gen Haswell is also an added plus. I'm curious to see the performance of the HD 5000 graphics too. 12 Hour battery life (if in the 11") is something that'll be extremely beneficial!

4GB of RAM is a bit low though, and Apple charge quite a lot to double. I've heard of how the SSD can be replaced as there are now custom made 'SSD chips' for the Air. Can the RAM be adjusted in this way?

Thanks. Let me know what you think too!

To answer your question, no you cannot upgrade the ram in an air (or, for that matter any retina MBP). You can upgrade the SSD, but only OWC sells it and their prices are as exorbitant or more as Apple's. It also voids any warranty if you replace it.

You're a new user to MacRumors Forums, welcome. But may I please suggest that you do a search on a topic like this before making a new post? This subject is brought up numerous times a day, and people get tired of answering the same questions over and over again to the point of irritability. In addition, you'll find the information immediately rather than waiting on people to read your post and answer it.

ShaneBunting
Sep 8, 2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks for your replies guys!

Looks like I'll be getting the 8GB of RAM from Apple at 80GBP!

ritmomundo
Sep 8, 2013, 11:37 AM
4gb RAM isn't that low. What are your uses? The majority of people will be fine with 4gb RAM for at least 3-5 years. My 3 year old 11" Air still runs fine with 2gb RAM. No need to get sucked into Apple's expensive upgrades unless you absolutely need it (professional video editing, intensive gaming, etc). Just my 2 cents.

Also, I believe the new 11" Air gets 9 hours of battery, not 12 like you mentioned.

Oh, and the Air's screen is far more delicate than the Pro's screen. The glass overlay provides an extra layer of protection, while the Air doesn't have that extra layer to keep its thinness. People have shattered the Air's screen with simple things, like accidentally closing the screen lightly with earbuds lying on the keyboard. The glass is much more durable in this sense, and wont break unless you slam the screen down like an angry gorilla.