Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Does anybody know if generic PCI-E Wifi adapters work with the late 2005 Power Mac G5?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Just to let people know, the generic TP-Link card did not work with my late 2005 PM G5 running OSX 10.5.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Does anybody know if generic PCI-E Wifi adapters work with the late 2005 Power Mac G5?

If you don't mind me asking, what is so bad about USB adapters? Just to let you know, many wifi adapters find the need to "support" PPC but cause crashes due to issues with Leopard or Tiger. Unfortunately, I tried three, and the only one that worked well was a G speed dongle from Belkin.

To solve this I took a blue Linksys WRT54G and used DD-WRT to use it as a wireless bridge. If you have one of those around, you could do that and not run the risk of dealing with terrible drivers and use the Ethernet port.

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2014
Cards with a Prism chipset should work. I don;t recall off-hand what other chipsets do, as I don't use WiFI on tower systems, so I never bothered to check. Some Broadcom chipets may work as well: The main thing is to source a card from 2005-2006, as newer chipsets will not have drivers support directly.

Ohter than Prism2, Atheros, Realtek, and Ralink make/made supported hardware, or hardware for which you can find drivers.

If you want 802.11n, that will be far more difficult than 802.11g.

Here is a RealTek driver that you may want to download:
http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

I believe this works in 10,5; but I am not certain if it does on 10.4.

This list is at least a decent guide, to use as a beginning point for an 802.11g card:
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.8#Wireless

Likewise, see this page for 802.11n:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/802_11N_Mac_reports.html

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I'm just going to put my two cents here. If you absolutely want a cheaper alternative, yes you could probably find a card. I had one that worked, but that was a while back and I don't remember the name. But, you can flash some Linksys cards, just google flash link sys power mac g5.

thorns

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
I am actually using a mini-PCIE to PCIE wifi adapter card (withe 3 antennae) in my G5. Coupled with an original airport extreme card from a macbook I have full airport compatibility and plug n play functionality with leopard. Both components are not hard to come by and relatively cheap, so why not go for this solution?

kondre2000

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
I am actually using a mini-PCIE to PCIE wifi adapter card (withe 3 antennae) in my G5. Coupled with an original airport extreme card from a macbook I have full airport compatibility and plug n play functionality with leopard. Both components are not hard to come by and relatively cheap, so why not go for this solution?

Thorns-

its been a while since you posted, but I hope you get notification to this...
what card did you get to plug the airport extreme into?

thanks

Kevin

kondre2000

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
Here's my experience with my late '05 DC 2.0 G5. I used an Apple mini PCI-e card along with a cheap adapter from China. The part numbers of everything I used are in the thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1779572/

thanks. I read the thread and I think that's what Im going to do...
I found the two items through your links.

the antennas, they are universal then? antennas off a router will work on the pci-e card? I have a gigabit router that I replaced, it has antennas, I can just use those? that leads me to believe I could use the extended antennas meant for router A to be used on router B to extend the range it has, is that true?

Kevin

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
thanks. I read the thread and I think that's what Im going to do...
I found the two items through your links.

the antennas, they are universal then? antennas off a router will work on the pci-e card? I have a gigabit router that I replaced, it has antennas, I can just use those? that leads me to believe I could use the extended antennas meant for router A to be used on router B to extend the range it has, is that true?

Kevin

I'm not sure what the antenna connectors are called, but they are the standard universal ones that have been on every router and PCI Wifi card with an external antenna I've ever bought. Basically, they are just a coaxial connector, not unlike a TV cable.

kondre2000

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
I'm not sure what the antenna connectors are called, but they are the standard universal ones that have been on every router and PCI Wifi card with an external antenna I've ever bought. Basically, they are just a coaxial connector, not unlike a TV cable.

that's what I thought they looked like when I was installing them on the new router. Coaxial....

that's awesome news.
Thanks

Kevin

kondre2000

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015

i got the PCIE - mini card. the miniPCIE wireless card came as well. I installed them and 10.5.8 doesn't see it at all. since i installed 10.5.8 on this machine without a wireless card, do i need to put the OS install disc in again, or did the airport drivers get installed but its just not working right?

sorry for asking for help, I'm just not sure why its not being found by 10.5.8

Kevin

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
As I recall, I actually ended up doing a fresh 10.5 install to get it to work. I'm not actually sure why I needed to do this, and it could probably be done also by transplanting the appropriate kexts into your current 10.5 install...

One quick question-how does the card show up in System Profiler?

kondre2000

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
As I recall, I actually ended up doing a fresh 10.5 install to get it to work. I'm not actually sure why I needed to do this, and it could probably be done also by transplanting the appropriate kexts into your current 10.5 install...

One quick question-how does the card show up in System Profiler?

thats one of my worries about all this, it doesn't appear in the system profiler

I made sure i got the cards you mention....
a Apple Broadcom BCM94321MC 802.11n Mini PCI-E Wireless LAN Card
and a for full + half size 802.11n wireless wifi mini pci-e card to pci-e wlan adapter

the boadcom is full length, and there are mounts on the adapter card for full and half-length, the mounts for the half length seem to be touching the Broadcom card when i want the broadcom card to lay flat. i hope thats not a problem.

Kevin

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
If the coin doesn't appear in system profiler, that's more than likely you're problem.

When I have cards that just(for whatever reason) don't have the correct drivers/extensions/kexts they appear in system profiler. As I recall, the Atheros card I had that I couldn't get to work appeared as a generic "PCI-e ethernet adapter" or something to that effect.

You may want to remove the whole card and adapter, then reseat the card card in the adapter. It won't hurt to clean the contacts on the WiFi card while you have it out. I typically use absolute ethanol or denatured alcohol(high percentage isopropyl alcohol will work also) with a clean, lent free cloth. Rubbing the contacts with a pencil eraser(very mild abrasive) can also help-if you are going to do this I'd suggest following up with a solvent cleaning. Let everything dry, and be sure it's seated securely in the adapter card.

Then, make sure the adapter card is securely seated in the PCI-e slot in the computer.

kondre2000

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
If the coin doesn't appear in system profiler, that's more than likely you're problem.

When I have cards that just(for whatever reason) don't have the correct drivers/extensions/kexts they appear in system profiler. As I recall, the Atheros card I had that I couldn't get to work appeared as a generic "PCI-e ethernet adapter" or something to that effect.

You may want to remove the whole card and adapter, then reseat the card card in the adapter. It won't hurt to clean the contacts on the WiFi card while you have it out. I typically use absolute ethanol or denatured alcohol(high percentage isopropyl alcohol will work also) with a clean, lent free cloth. Rubbing the contacts with a pencil eraser(very mild abrasive) can also help-if you are going to do this I'd suggest following up with a solvent cleaning. Let everything dry, and be sure it's seated securely in the adapter card.

Then, make sure the adapter card is securely seated in the PCI-e slot in the computer.

I had removed the pcie card from the machine a few times. it didnt help.
i just removed it and then took the broadcom card off it too. i then took the plyers and removed the mounts for the half length cards. i put electrical tape over the holes left from removal and reinstalled the broadcom card. it fit this time without those mid way mounts. i put the pcie card back in the machine but in a different slot. booted and it was there this time. so i then shut down and reinstalled the pcie card in the last slot as i wanted it and rebooted. its still there now and working great. all good now!

im not sure if it was the mounting touching the broadcom card or not, but im not going to question any more...

and im pleased with my throughput too...

Attachments

• screenshot.jpeg
    screenshot.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 235
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.