Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wonder if someone can help. I have an iMac 2012 with Mountain Lion, and all have iPads and iPhone. So the problem I have is my Dad (old and new to computers!), is always asking about this and that jot working on his Windows laptop PC, and I have I try and explain, or more likely go around to do something simple.

So is there any simple software, or way for me to Remote Desktop him to help from home, either on my iMac, iPad or iPhone? As I say it will be from OS X ML, or iOS, to a Windows PC (running vista I think).

How will it work? I think Windows has Remote Desktop from windows to windows? But to be honest not sure how it works, if its secure etc?

Thanks

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Remote Desktop will work from Mac to Windows, I use it at work. However, unless he has a business version of Vista or Vista Ultimate he won't be able to "host" the session, or act as the destination. If you're talking about "Remote Desktop Assistance", where he enters an email address and the person it emails can click a link or use a file that's sent to them to connect and help, I believe you're correct in that it only works from Windows to Windows.

I suggest TeamViewer or SplashTop remote desktop for what you're looking for.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Sorry hasn't subscribed to topic for alerts ;)

I'm not bothered what system to be honest as long as it works, would be great if works over 3G as well on my iPhone!!

It's just the standard version of Vista, basic, I think he has. Also the less he has to do to "accept" etc the better, I want something where he doesn't have to initiate it ideally, as I say he's not at all tech savvy.

Thanks

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
I personally use Teamviewer, and use it to help my parents with their Windows PC all the time. App available for OSX and iOS and best of all it's completely free. If I'm at work I use Teamviewer portable for Windows which doesn't require any installation. You can also now connect to your iPhone and iPad though you don't have complete control over the device.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Just had a look at teamviewer on App Store. So all you need to do is install teamviewer on the windows PC, register I take it with teamviewer to get a teamviewer ID.

Then on my iPhone type in the teamviewer ID and connect, over 3G or my own WiFi, and I have full control?

Can't be that easy, and its free? What do teamviewer get out of this. Does the computer being controlled have to accept the remote access?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.