PDA

View Full Version : why is apple tv so popular?

bluebird3
Sep 8, 2013, 10:15 PM
i guess it's a device to connect your mac to your tv ? why can't you simply connect the two with a cable instead ?

talmy
Sep 8, 2013, 10:21 PM
You could just connect your Mac to the TV, but then you couldn't use them simultaneously and it's more difficult to move the Mac around. In fact we use two Mac minis as entertainment centers, but they are much more expensive than Apple TVs.

That said, we've got an Apple TV that I'v just decommissioned and switched to a Roku (first version, no less!). The reason is that the Apple TV is too tied into proprietary Apple infrastructure. The ROKU will work great with Plex and Amazon, which the Apple TV won't. (Plex only with a cumbersome workaround).

ElectronGuru
Sep 8, 2013, 10:24 PM
I think of it as a media conduit. Content from your macs iTunes, content from and via your I devices, and content from the apps within the box itself. I'm watching a movie now, fed directly from the HBO app. The other apps hold less interest for me, but are still useful.

GimmeSlack12
Sep 8, 2013, 10:24 PM
That said, we've got an Apple TV that I'v just decommissioned and switched to a Roku (first version, no less!).

How is Plex for Roku these days? Also, why'd you get the first version Roku? Isn't it on it's third version now?

I bought a Roku to use with Plex a year or two ago but it was still pretty clunky so I returned it and am still waiting it to mature. Though I was impressed with the Roku.

My requirements for a HTPC is that it has to be dead simple to pick up and use. Thus anyone in the house can use it, and you also don't have to bother with changing settings or screwing around with stuff. It should as easy as using any DVR or TV.

SandboxGeneral
Sep 8, 2013, 10:26 PM
I like it because its small and simple and provides me all the content I desire for very little cost.

bluebird3
Sep 8, 2013, 10:36 PM
mmm i guess I'm way behind. my thought is that if i wanted to watch tv, I'll get the cable or dish. If i wanted to watch my dvds i have my dvd payer.

So.... I guess you would want an apple tv if you like to buy movies from on line sites and not want to watch it on your computer? I guess you can use the TV screen as a computer monitor? mmm then I wouldn't need those expensive apple display for my mini or mac book ? is that the idea? :)

does it connect without cable or you would connect it with cable between the tv and the computer? what kind of tv does it need ?

GimmeSlack12
Sep 8, 2013, 10:47 PM
mmm i guess I'm way behind. my thought is that if i wanted to watch tv, I'll get the cable or dish. If i wanted to watch my dvds i have my dvd payer.

So.... I guess you would want an apple tv if you like to buy movies from on line sites and not want to watch it on your computer? I guess you can use the TV screen as a computer monitor? mmm then I wouldn't need those expensive apple display for my mini or mac book ? is that the idea? :)

does it connect without cable or you would connect it with cable between the tv and the computer? what kind of tv does it need ?

Looks like someone hasn't done their homework.

www.apple.com/appletv

waw74
Sep 8, 2013, 11:44 PM
it's basically an online media player, it gets its content from netflix, hulu, HBOgo, or one of several other channels (http://www.apple.com/appletv/whats-on/) that are now available.
It can also get it's content from iTunes, either online video rental / purchase, or stored in a local iTunes library on a computer on your network.

you can use the TV screen as a copy of the monitor on your mac, it's built into mountain lion, but only works with Macs from about the middle of 2011 and newer (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5404). This will be lower quality than hooking your mac directly up to the TV with a video cable.
in Mavericks, you can have the aTV be a second screen for the mac.

does it connect without cable or you would connect it with cable between the tv and the computer?
it works over your existing home network, but you will need a strong & fast wireless signal or wired connection for it to work well.
If you have a poor network connection, streaming a video from iTunes will work better than mirroring your screen,

also it acts as a screen for you iOS device, you can send the video from your iPad/iPhone to the TV. (some apps do not work with this though).

what kind of tv does it need ?
it works with any TV with an HDMI port.

linds15
Sep 9, 2013, 12:05 AM
i guess it's a device to connect your mac to your tv ? why can't you simply connect the two with a cable instead ?

if you have 1 TV and a macbook this would work, if you have a mini, and/or multiple TVs it would not. i have an extensive itunes library, keep it all on my mini, and then my family can watch or listen to whatever is on it from any tv in the house (they all have ATVs)

Mrbobb
Sep 9, 2013, 12:20 AM

Yes you are behind the times. These days people want it on demand, not wait for a cable/dish broadcast, and get it online, not looking for some physical DVD.

Sounds like you are coming from the view that you got these set up in your bedroom, and everything is close by, so why not go computer->TV?

But that's not what the rest of us are thinking. We are thinking the big TV in the living room, and if computer talks to TV directly how/difficult is for the family to call up a program? Anywhoo, many of those widgets available on the ATV box are not available as OSX apps.

zedzded
Sep 9, 2013, 12:44 AM
It's a PITA having to convert movies to the correct format, but other than that it works pretty seamlessly. I've got an AppleTV 3 and don't think they're jailbroken are they?

yinz
Sep 9, 2013, 01:36 AM

Mirror Face-time to 42" TV means it feels like you are on the bridge of Star Trek. Yes, I'm a geek that way = )

linds15
Sep 9, 2013, 01:46 AM
It's a PITA having to convert movies to the correct format, but other than that it works pretty seamlessly. I've got an AppleTV 3 and don't think they're jailbroken are they?

agree with the movie converting, once its all done though (i did a several TBs worth of DVD rips) its worth having the ease of access throughout the house

Moakesy
Sep 9, 2013, 02:45 AM
I didn't get the point of Apple TV for a while, it looked kinda interesting, but not enough for me to want to rush out and get one.

A trip the States meant I could get one cheaper than in the UK, so decided to go for it.

I love it now.....by far the biggest use for me is to link the iPad to it when showing photos / videos to visiting family and friends. It's just so much better to do that on a larger screen than have 5 or 6 people crowded around the iPad. The kids use it to watch movies/youtube clips on...streaming them from their iPads.

Even Apple say it's a 'project' and that is true....it's a bit of a sideline product. However, once you have one, you wouldn't really want to be without it....it's just all a bit...easier.

MagnumOP
Sep 9, 2013, 08:02 AM
I converted all of my old DVD's and now I no longer own a DVD player. AppleTV is a great way to get local content up to the TV. It runs quietly, cooly, and I don't need a keyboard and mouse to use it.

NewbieCanada
Sep 9, 2013, 08:07 AM
Should mention that it works just as well for people using Windows PCs as Macs.

talmy
Sep 9, 2013, 09:31 AM
How is Plex for Roku these days? Also, why'd you get the first version Roku? Isn't it on it's third version now?

I got it when it came out, years ago. I stopped using it when I replaced it with a Mac mini. Only real problem with it is that it is slow, but at least it works.

I bought a Roku to use with Plex a year or two ago but it was still pretty clunky so I returned it and am still waiting it to mature. Though I was impressed with the Roku.

The problem I had with the Apple TV -- it only will do local streaming from iTunes. This caused several problems:

I had to import videos I wanted to view on the ATV into iTunes, taking time and wasting space.
I own 7 Macs and iTunes sharing allows a maximum of 5 connected to one account.
iTunes must be running all the time and it is big (Plex Server is compact).

When PlexConnect came out, allowing streaming from Plex to an Apple TV, I was overjoyed. However the latest ATV update kills it without having to do lots of gyrations I didn't want to deal with. It was much easier to pull the Roku out of the closet. As a bonus, I've got Amazon streaming back, and we will probably never get that in an Apple TV.

My requirements for a HTPC is that it has to be dead simple to pick up and use. Thus anyone in the house can use it, and you also don't have to bother with changing settings or screwing around with stuff. It should as easy as using any DVR or TV.

That was the problem with the Mac mini. My wife just hated it. Frankly, the Roku remote is easier than the Apple TV as well.

bluebird3
Sep 9, 2013, 09:47 AM
Mirror Face-time to 42" TV means it feels like you are on the bridge of Star Trek. Yes, I'm a geek that way = )

Mirror face time ?

----------

I converted all of my old DVD's and now I no longer own a DVD player. AppleTV is a great way to get local content up to the TV. It runs quietly, cooly, and I don't need a keyboard and mouse to use it.

converted ? how do you do that ?

ekrem13
Sep 9, 2013, 10:04 AM
it's popular and worth every penny you counted because of three reasons, personally;
- it turns your tv into a smart tv
- you can stream musics videos tv shows on your itunes which you purchased or ripped or pirated and converted whatever, wirelessly
- it's compatible with apple devices so you can mirror and airplay

Cnasty
Sep 9, 2013, 10:22 AM
Never understood the hype or what it was either.

Until my friend educated me on the greatness of XBMC.

With an iMac, AppleTV, and airplay mirroring I have been able to cut cable and save about $1300 a year and have access to more TV, movies, and music than I ever had before.

Thank you AppleTV!!

waw74
Sep 9, 2013, 10:44 AM
Mirror face time?

Mirror: have your Mac or iOS device's screen also appear on the TV.
Face time: Apple's video chat.

so you can video chat with someone, but their image is on the TV too.

handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) is one of the more popular options

aicul
Sep 9, 2013, 10:50 AM
Its popular for me because it the clicker replaces a outsized, over buttoned remote control.

All I miss is the TV on/off and volume buttons.

Deadeyeshark
Sep 9, 2013, 11:00 AM
I use a 12tb External hard drive on one of my Macs with thousands of TV shows and movies streaming to five apple TV's around my house... its a fantastic product and works seamlessly. Granted Home Sharing was a dog to begin with, now it works like a charm.

Wouldn't be without it.

it also has the best implementation of Netflix I've seen and the selection of movies and tv shows to rent is impressive.

bluebird3
Sep 9, 2013, 11:07 AM
Never understood the hype or what it was either.

Until my friend educated me on the greatness of XBMC.

With an iMac, AppleTV, and airplay monitoring I have been able to cut cable and save about $1300 a year and have access to more TV, movies, and music than I ever had before.

Thank you AppleTV!!

so it replaces cable /satellite as well? I currently don't have TV cable connection. If I did, I'd probably watch local news, some free movie channels, and spots channels like Fox soccer. That's about it. Cable typically cost US$99 a mo. bundle include internet, tv, and phone. I guess I can see how you saved $1300 a year but how do you get all that TV channels ? Do you still have to pay to watch the program ?

----------

handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) is one of the more popular options[/QUOTE]

I mean did you convert all your cds/dvds into your computer by burning each one of them or does aTv store all the files like external drive?

APhillyApple
Sep 9, 2013, 11:14 AM
The Apple TV is a very convenient device that works very well. My household has Apple everything right down to an AirPost Extreme Base Station. I dont have any problems with it using proprietary formats, I have software that turns things quickly. I really enjoy having access to my library of music, movies, tv shows, all while being fed to every tv in the house.

bluebird3
Sep 9, 2013, 11:21 AM
sounds really good.everyone is convincing me to get one. I've been holding on to an older technology as long as i could but lately I'm all about saving space and possibly even money....

Plutonius
Sep 9, 2013, 11:37 AM

You can but

1) You need your Mac on to watch anything.
2) You need your Mac next to the TV in order to use it.
3) It's nice to change channels from the couch rather than have to go to the computer to select things.
4) The price makes it very attractive especially if you have multiple TVs

----------

sounds really good.everyone is convincing me to get one. I've been holding on to an older technology as long as i could but lately I'm all about saving space and possibly even money....

Also take a look at the Roku (http://www.roku.com) as an alternative (especially if you have an older TV without HDMI (Roku 2)).

Cnasty
Sep 9, 2013, 12:06 PM
so it replaces cable /satellite as well? I currently don't have TV cable connection. If I did, I'd probably watch local news, some free movie channels, and spots channels like Fox soccer. That's about it. Cable typically cost US$99 a mo. bundle include internet, tv, and phone. I guess I can see how you saved $1300 a year but how do you get all that TV channels ? Do you still have to pay to watch the program ?[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

It does for me with the combination of a Mohu Leaf antenna for all the local channels and then some in HD.

I run XBMC on my iMac, Mirror it to my big screen via AppleTV, and I get almost any show or movie you can think of with the add ons within XBMC.

AppleTV alone wont let you watch all those local channels, shows, or movies but in combination with XBMC you can. I was paying over $150 a month in cable here. I only kept the internet and bill is down to $50 a month.

fig
Sep 9, 2013, 01:05 PM
I don't really watch much iTunes content with my AppleTV, that's a nice feature to have but not it's biggest selling point.

I do use it all the time for WatchESPN, Netflix, HBOgo, and Hulu Plus.

Scrub175
Sep 9, 2013, 01:08 PM

Awesome and funny. Will try this today...

GreatDrok
Sep 9, 2013, 04:50 PM
I have all versions (ATV 1, 2 and 3). Originally had the 1 and loved it but I wanted to get another and the ATV 1 was gone so I got a 2. Didn't like that so much but it has grown on me as new features like AirDisplay came along. Recently got a 3 so all TVs in the house now have an ATV and I have a reasonably easy workflow for putting shows into iTunes that works for me. The main thing is I don't have to worry about my son destroying my discs - at 6 years old he is perfectly able to navigate the ATV interface to find his shows and with parental controls turned on he can only watch age appropriate material. Since we've gone the iPod, iPad, iPhone, ATV route having everything in iTunes works well and I even have AirVideo Server installed so I can stream material to my devices when I'm away from home so I rarely bother to load videos onto them. AirVideo Server also solves the issue of getting non-iTunes material onto the ATV because it can do on the fly conversion of pretty much any format into something an iDevice understands and then AirDisplay can send that to the ATV.

Couldn't go back, and my TiVo's (which I never thought I could part with) are getting less and less use as we turn away from broadcast TV full of ads and just buy the shows we like on DVD or BD and load them into iTunes. I rarely buy directly from iTunes because those can't be streamed via AirVideo due to DRM. If they weren't DRM'd I would probably buy them directly from Apple rather than bother with the DVDs.

E.Lizardo
Sep 9, 2013, 09:19 PM
so it replaces cable /satellite as well? I currently don't have TV cable connection. If I did, I'd probably watch local news, some free movie channels, and spots channels like Fox soccer. That's about it. Cable typically cost US$99 a mo. bundle include internet, tv, and phone. I guess I can see how you saved $1300 a year but how do you get all that TV channels ? Do you still have to pay to watch the program ?

----------

handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) is one of the more popular options

I mean did you convert all your cds/dvds into your computer by burning each one of them or does aTv store all the files like external drive?[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear,The Apple TV will NOT let you view cable channels.It "replaces"cable for me and others in the sense that between over-the-air TV,Netflix(subscription required)Hulu+(also need to pay),the content on your computer,purchases and rentals from the iTunes store,and the various other channels you have plenty to watch.
Some of the Channels on The ATV require you to also have cable anyway.
But really,Check Apple's site,it explains everything.
And check out the Roku too,I have both and together they are a great solution for cord cutting.

palmerc2
Sep 9, 2013, 11:52 PM
I like it for Netflix, HULU, YouTube, and funny enough movie trailers. I'm sure all those are available on a different media streamer, I guess at the end of the day it's what you prefer.

I really like AirPlay / Mirroring, as I can show any video or picture I have on my phone directly to the big screen. Also good for music, although I don't use the AppleTV for music, as I use my receiver which has built in AirPlay for audio.

Gjwilly
Sep 9, 2013, 11:57 PM

Install the Plex media server on your computer and then Airplay from the Plex app on your iPhone/iPad.
No conversion or jailbreak needed and the performance is as good as anything else you'd normally Airplay.

yinz
Sep 12, 2013, 02:22 AM
Mirror face time ?[COLOR="#808080"]

Airplay Mirroring if I wasn't clear...

Awesome and funny. Will try this today...

My family loves it!

Jjaro
Sep 12, 2013, 04:40 AM
Mirror face time ?

----------

He/She is likely using Handbrake. Google it, it's pretty awesome, I think you'll like it.

Curun
Sep 12, 2013, 05:03 AM
We love it. It has allowed cutting the cord.

I get digital HD CBS CW FOX CNN NBC ABC etc over the air.

Netflix and Hulu on AppleTV.

We rent very occasionally, I think twice in 3 years, from Apple.

Can stream iTunes music to receiver and media center.

Can stream pirated content, only BBC's TopGear

blanka
Sep 12, 2013, 06:30 AM
I don't get it either.
First of all Apple TV is a very expensive wireless replacement of a 10$ HDMI cable
It sure offers some smart-tv like online stuff, but very limited and not supporting the major standards like MKV
It does not do tuning nor playing discs.
I think a Raspberry Pi is roughly as capable as a AppleTV. Some things work better on the Pi, others better on the ATV, but the Pi is only 30 bucks.
But nothing beats a Mini, even if it is from 2009/2010.
So I have the latter. It does really everything, including Blu-Ray discs, tuning DVB-T, time-shifting and recording on live broadcasts, has plenty of storage, does games, XBMC and it works great with your AV receiver remote too.
An Apple TV is pretty much useless after a couple of years, while the Mini has a much longer useful lifespan.

yinz
Sep 12, 2013, 08:11 AM
I don't get it either.
First of all Apple TV is a very expensive wireless replacement of a 10$ HDMI cable
It sure offers some smart-tv like online stuff, but very limited and not supporting the major standards like MKV
I think a Raspberry Pi is roughly as capable as a AppleTV. Some things work better on the Pi, others better on the ATV, but the Pi is only 30 bucks.
So I have the latter. It does really everything, including Blu-Ray discs, tuning DVB-T, time-shifting and recording on live broadcasts, has plenty of storage, does games, XBMC and it works great with your AV receiver remote too.
An Apple TV is pretty much useless after a couple of years, while the Mini has a much longer useful lifespan.

This just seems very narrow minded. It's not an attack on you, it's just my opinion of your response.

Firstly, not everyone is capable of working a Raspberry Pi, so the plug and play factor of Apple TV alone is worth the price. Secondly, your alternative suggestion is way more costly than an Apple TV (which completely negates your own argument). I don't think you can get a Mac Mini for around $100. If you can, then please point me to it.

Your Mac Mini can't AirPlay, and that feature alone is worth it. I think a better comparison would be the Chrome Cast. Although, I haven't used it, I am thoroughly intrigued by what it can do for the cost.

Curun
Sep 12, 2013, 08:21 AM
I don't get it either.
An Apple TV is pretty much useless after a couple of years, while the Mini has a much longer useful lifespan.One time cost of $85-99 is not expensive in realm of $650 iPhones. Or $960/yr cable bills. Or $2,000 TV's.

It natively handles H.264/mp4 which is wide spread and common.

A $10 HDMI cable isn't going to reach from study to den.

2years running with AppleTV. No sign of obsolescence. And when it gets to that point some day, its already gotten more than its money's worth.

I use my AV Receiver remote with AppleTV. Single Pioneer remote handles all, TV, AppleTV, and of course receiver.

linds15
Sep 12, 2013, 10:02 AM
I don't get it either.
1 mini doesnt help when you have multiple TVs. thats where a mini +ATVs gets you all your content on any tv

notjustjay
Sep 12, 2013, 10:07 AM
Well, here's my living room setup.

I have an Apple TV, and a small Sony Blu-Ray player, connected to my TV. I have a soundbar since the TV speakers aren't that great.

That's it.

If I want to watch a Blu-Ray or DVD, I pop it into the Sony player.

I watch Netflix a lot. For $8/month it satisfies most of my TV/movie watching needs.

There is OTA HD, but my area only provides a few channels and I'm so used to watching stuff on-demand that I rarely watch live TV anymore because the shows I want to watch aren't playing when I feel like sitting down to watch TV!

If I really want to catch a show or movie that's not on Netflix, I'll buy it or rent it from iTunes. It's not fun paying $2/episode, but I just remind myself how I'm NOT paying $70-100/month for cable or satellite anymore.

My Apple TV pulls from my Flickr account for screen saver and general photo viewing, if I want to show photos to people.

And, I can use my phone to look up a video on YouTube, then AirPlay it to the AppleTV so everyone can see.

It is also capable of playing all of my music or movie collection from my Mac or from the cloud, but I rarely use this feature.

xArtx
Sep 12, 2013, 10:12 AM
So you don't wear out the connector in the iDevice by plugging it in all the time.
That's the best I've got, even though you get a new one before the connector wears out anyway.

The optical audio connector, if your home hifi can make use of it for music,
and that port would be of interest to hackers.

Thing is another extremely elegant looking design of course,
and the remote works with a Mac with an IR port if it has one.

Cons:
It needs an internet connection to do anything initially.
From then on, it needs a router to connect to an iPad or iPhone.
It is the most obviously jailed/controlled of all Apple devices.
Mine was not stable, and appears not fully cooked still
(ie. can't connect to iTunes, or dropped network when another iDevice didn't).

Make sure you don't want the 2nd Gen first, or you'll be wasting money on the 3rd gen.

ElectronGuru
Sep 13, 2013, 01:19 AM
Your Mac Mini can't AirPlay...

I was running just a mini, using this for airplay functionality:

http://www.airserver.com/

Then along came the HBO app on the iPad. But it uses a point to point DRM that airserver can't support. I bought my first appleTV just for the HBO [killer] app. It's airservice does support hbo. But then appleTV got its own hbo so I didn't need the iPad. Then I started going deeper and deeper into the appleTV. Been weeks since I've even turned the Mac mini on.

At some point I'm going to run out of so much fresh content but until then, it's appleTV every night.

opinio
Sep 13, 2013, 04:26 AM

It's not just for AirPlay.

I run a Mac mini 24/7 as a HTPC with 2TB of tv/movies in iTunes on it. I hook an ATV to each one of my TVs in the house. Then I and my kids have access to the iTunes library from any TV.

yinz
Sep 13, 2013, 08:03 AM
I was running just a mini, using this for airplay functionality:

http://www.airserver.com/

Then along came the HBO app on the iPad. But it uses a point to point DRM that airserver can't support. I bought my first appleTV just for the HBO [killer] app. It's airservice does support hbo. But then appleTV got its own hbo so I didn't need the iPad. Then I started going deeper and deeper into the appleTV. Been weeks since I've even turned the Mac mini on.

At some point I'm going to run out of so much fresh content but until then, it's appleTV every night.

Ok, so on top of the $400 over the Apple TV, you have to pay again to get airserver? How is this a better alternative? Apple TV just seems easier, more seemless, and more cost efficient.

MacMini is a good machine in its own right, but Apple TV isn't a terrible deal here...

JGRE
Sep 13, 2013, 08:39 AM

Download Beamer app and your remuxing days are over :D now jailbreaking needed.

ElectronGuru
Sep 13, 2013, 12:06 PM
Ok, so on top of the $400 over the Apple TV, you have to pay again to get airserver? How is this a better alternative? Apple TV just seems easier, more seemless, and more cost efficient.

Don't mean to suggest the appletv isn't awesome. I'm so impressed with mine I may end up selling the mini. At the time the mini was better. If it doesn't remain better, it will get replaced. Today for me, it's still up in the air.

t76turbo
Sep 13, 2013, 02:01 PM
I think it is one step above useless.

I have used it to show one video I took on an iPhone. A couple photos as well. And used it to watch a few Netflix moves with my buddies account. But I have 2 tvs that can do the Netflix plus a ps3 that can as well. I can also use them to view the photos and video vie a media server.

If mine was jail broke it would be more useful. I have amazon prime and have never used it to watch a movie etc. but with jail break, I could get the amazon stuff.

linds15
Sep 13, 2013, 02:52 PM
It's not just for AirPlay.

I run a Mac mini 24/7 as a HTPC with 2TB of tv/movies in iTunes on it. I hook an ATV to each one of my TVs in the house. Then I and my kids have access to the iTunes library from any TV.

this is exactly what i do (minus the kids), 3 TVs all with an ATV, and anyone can watch anything wherever they want. also i love how in my bedroom i can have a tv hanging from the wall and an ATV tucked behind it, dont need a cablebox or ps3 or some other big device laying around

dsnows
Sep 13, 2013, 03:11 PM
I was recently watching a football game which was running beyond the time slot because of a weather delay. ESPNU switched to a different game, but continued showing the game on ESPN3 online. I logged on to ESPN3 on my iMac, and mirrored it to my main TV using Apple TV and continued watching. No need to run a cable. And, since it had been showing on a non high-def channel, the picture was actually better watching with the apple TV from my iMac.

Very convenient way to ouput anything from your computer or iOS device to your TV.