Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
i guess it's a device to connect your mac to your tv ? why can't you simply connect the two with a cable instead ?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
You could just connect your Mac to the TV, but then you couldn't use them simultaneously and it's more difficult to move the Mac around. In fact we use two Mac minis as entertainment centers, but they are much more expensive than Apple TVs.

That said, we've got an Apple TV that I'v just decommissioned and switched to a Roku (first version, no less!). The reason is that the Apple TV is too tied into proprietary Apple infrastructure. The ROKU will work great with Plex and Amazon, which the Apple TV won't. (Plex only with a cumbersome workaround).

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I think of it as a media conduit. Content from your macs iTunes, content from and via your I devices, and content from the apps within the box itself. I'm watching a movie now, fed directly from the HBO app. The other apps hold less interest for me, but are still useful.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
That said, we've got an Apple TV that I'v just decommissioned and switched to a Roku (first version, no less!).

How is Plex for Roku these days? Also, why'd you get the first version Roku? Isn't it on it's third version now?

I bought a Roku to use with Plex a year or two ago but it was still pretty clunky so I returned it and am still waiting it to mature. Though I was impressed with the Roku.

My requirements for a HTPC is that it has to be dead simple to pick up and use. Thus anyone in the house can use it, and you also don't have to bother with changing settings or screwing around with stuff. It should as easy as using any DVR or TV.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
mmm i guess I'm way behind. my thought is that if i wanted to watch tv, I'll get the cable or dish. If i wanted to watch my dvds i have my dvd payer.

So.... I guess you would want an apple tv if you like to buy movies from on line sites and not want to watch it on your computer? I guess you can use the TV screen as a computer monitor? mmm then I wouldn't need those expensive apple display for my mini or mac book ? is that the idea? :)

does it connect without cable or you would connect it with cable between the tv and the computer? what kind of tv does it need ?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
mmm i guess I'm way behind. my thought is that if i wanted to watch tv, I'll get the cable or dish. If i wanted to watch my dvds i have my dvd payer.

So.... I guess you would want an apple tv if you like to buy movies from on line sites and not want to watch it on your computer? I guess you can use the TV screen as a computer monitor? mmm then I wouldn't need those expensive apple display for my mini or mac book ? is that the idea? :)

does it connect without cable or you would connect it with cable between the tv and the computer? what kind of tv does it need ?

Looks like someone hasn't done their homework.

http://www.apple.com/appletv

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it's basically an online media player, it gets its content from netflix, hulu, HBOgo, or one of several other channels that are now available.
It can also get it's content from iTunes, either online video rental / purchase, or stored in a local iTunes library on a computer on your network.

you can use the TV screen as a copy of the monitor on your mac, it's built into mountain lion, but only works with Macs from about the middle of 2011 and newer. This will be lower quality than hooking your mac directly up to the TV with a video cable.
in Mavericks, you can have the aTV be a second screen for the mac.

does it connect without cable or you would connect it with cable between the tv and the computer?
it works over your existing home network, but you will need a strong & fast wireless signal or wired connection for it to work well.
If you have a poor network connection, streaming a video from iTunes will work better than mirroring your screen,

also it acts as a screen for you iOS device, you can send the video from your iPad/iPhone to the TV. (some apps do not work with this though).

what kind of tv does it need ?
it works with any TV with an HDMI port.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
i guess it's a device to connect your mac to your tv ? why can't you simply connect the two with a cable instead ?

if you have 1 TV and a macbook this would work, if you have a mini, and/or multiple TVs it would not. i have an extensive itunes library, keep it all on my mini, and then my family can watch or listen to whatever is on it from any tv in the house (they all have ATVs)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Yes you are behind the times. These days people want it on demand, not wait for a cable/dish broadcast, and get it online, not looking for some physical DVD.

Sounds like you are coming from the view that you got these set up in your bedroom, and everything is close by, so why not go computer->TV?

But that's not what the rest of us are thinking. We are thinking the big TV in the living room, and if computer talks to TV directly how/difficult is for the family to call up a program? Anywhoo, many of those widgets available on the ATV box are not available as OSX apps.

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
It's a PITA having to convert movies to the correct format, but other than that it works pretty seamlessly. I've got an AppleTV 3 and don't think they're jailbroken are they?

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012

Mirror Face-time to 42" TV means it feels like you are on the bridge of Star Trek. Yes, I'm a geek that way = )

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
It's a PITA having to convert movies to the correct format, but other than that it works pretty seamlessly. I've got an AppleTV 3 and don't think they're jailbroken are they?

agree with the movie converting, once its all done though (i did a several TBs worth of DVD rips) its worth having the ease of access throughout the house

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
I didn't get the point of Apple TV for a while, it looked kinda interesting, but not enough for me to want to rush out and get one.

A trip the States meant I could get one cheaper than in the UK, so decided to go for it.

I love it now.....by far the biggest use for me is to link the iPad to it when showing photos / videos to visiting family and friends. It's just so much better to do that on a larger screen than have 5 or 6 people crowded around the iPad. The kids use it to watch movies/youtube clips on...streaming them from their iPads.

Even Apple say it's a 'project' and that is true....it's a bit of a sideline product. However, once you have one, you wouldn't really want to be without it....it's just all a bit...easier.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
I converted all of my old DVD's and now I no longer own a DVD player. AppleTV is a great way to get local content up to the TV. It runs quietly, cooly, and I don't need a keyboard and mouse to use it.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
How is Plex for Roku these days? Also, why'd you get the first version Roku? Isn't it on it's third version now?

I got it when it came out, years ago. I stopped using it when I replaced it with a Mac mini. Only real problem with it is that it is slow, but at least it works.

I bought a Roku to use with Plex a year or two ago but it was still pretty clunky so I returned it and am still waiting it to mature. Though I was impressed with the Roku.

The problem I had with the Apple TV -- it only will do local streaming from iTunes. This caused several problems:
  • I had to import videos I wanted to view on the ATV into iTunes, taking time and wasting space.
  • I own 7 Macs and iTunes sharing allows a maximum of 5 connected to one account.
  • iTunes must be running all the time and it is big (Plex Server is compact).

When PlexConnect came out, allowing streaming from Plex to an Apple TV, I was overjoyed. However the latest ATV update kills it without having to do lots of gyrations I didn't want to deal with. It was much easier to pull the Roku out of the closet. As a bonus, I've got Amazon streaming back, and we will probably never get that in an Apple TV.

My requirements for a HTPC is that it has to be dead simple to pick up and use. Thus anyone in the house can use it, and you also don't have to bother with changing settings or screwing around with stuff. It should as easy as using any DVR or TV.

That was the problem with the Mac mini. My wife just hated it. Frankly, the Roku remote is easier than the Apple TV as well.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Mirror Face-time to 42" TV means it feels like you are on the bridge of Star Trek. Yes, I'm a geek that way = )

Mirror face time ?

----------

I converted all of my old DVD's and now I no longer own a DVD player. AppleTV is a great way to get local content up to the TV. It runs quietly, cooly, and I don't need a keyboard and mouse to use it.

converted ? how do you do that ?

ekrem13

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
it's popular and worth every penny you counted because of three reasons, personally;
- it turns your tv into a smart tv
- you can stream musics videos tv shows on your itunes which you purchased or ripped or pirated and converted whatever, wirelessly
- it's compatible with apple devices so you can mirror and airplay

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Never understood the hype or what it was either.

Until my friend educated me on the greatness of XBMC.

With an iMac, AppleTV, and airplay mirroring I have been able to cut cable and save about $1300 a year and have access to more TV, movies, and music than I ever had before.

Thank you AppleTV!!

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
I use a 12tb External hard drive on one of my Macs with thousands of TV shows and movies streaming to five apple TV's around my house... its a fantastic product and works seamlessly. Granted Home Sharing was a dog to begin with, now it works like a charm.

Wouldn't be without it.

it also has the best implementation of Netflix I've seen and the selection of movies and tv shows to rent is impressive.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Never understood the hype or what it was either.

Until my friend educated me on the greatness of XBMC.

With an iMac, AppleTV, and airplay monitoring I have been able to cut cable and save about $1300 a year and have access to more TV, movies, and music than I ever had before.

Thank you AppleTV!!

so it replaces cable /satellite as well? I currently don't have TV cable connection. If I did, I'd probably watch local news, some free movie channels, and spots channels like Fox soccer. That's about it. Cable typically cost US$99 a mo. bundle include internet, tv, and phone. I guess I can see how you saved $1300 a year but how do you get all that TV channels ? Do you still have to pay to watch the program ?

----------

handbrake is one of the more popular options[/QUOTE]

I mean did you convert all your cds/dvds into your computer by burning each one of them or does aTv store all the files like external drive?

APhillyApple

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
The Apple TV is a very convenient device that works very well. My household has Apple everything right down to an AirPost Extreme Base Station. I dont have any problems with it using proprietary formats, I have software that turns things quickly. I really enjoy having access to my library of music, movies, tv shows, all while being fed to every tv in the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.