PDA

View Full Version : completely dead ibook G3- help?

lulu1929
Nov 23, 2005, 01:25 PM
i would greatly appreciate any advice on this.

i have an ibook G3 700mhz from 2002. it has worked completely fine with no problems at all. in october i had the hard drives switched out (took out a larger one and reinstalled the orignal 20 gig hd) and at that time it was throrougly tested and no problems were found. last week it completely died - one day it just wouldn't start.

i took it to the repair shop on campus (i'm a graduate student) and they tried everything they could think of by removing or replacing a number of things including RAM, airport card, the keyboard, etc. they even connected a different power button to make sure the problem wasn't something as simple as that. they tested the computer without a battery and with a known-good battery. nothing they did made any difference. the computer doesn't even turn on. no fans spinning, no hard drive spinning, no beeps, chirps, grinding noises, or any other faint signs of life. it is showing no symptoms of the known logic board problem - no horizontal or vertical lines on screen or system boots to black or grey screen. there has never been one damn problem with it at all until it just stopped turning on altogether.

nothing has spilled on it and it has not been dropped.

can anyone think of anything that hasn't been tried? the only thing the repair shop could think of was that they didn't remove the cable connecting the hard drive and cd drive. they would be surprised if that made a difference, and so would i. they are recommending that i give up and part it out, but i have a really hard time believing that it just suddenly died with no warning whatsoever.

i have a new ibook but i gave this old one to another starving grad student in october and i feel bad for her that this has happened. i want to make sure i'm not overlooking anything.

ideas anyone?

slooksterPSV
Nov 23, 2005, 02:24 PM
Anyone wanna agree with me when I say a fried logic board?
If you still have AppleCare left on it, send it in.

lulu1929
Nov 23, 2005, 02:28 PM
unfortunately for me, my applecare ran out last month. figures.

katie ta achoo
Nov 23, 2005, 02:30 PM
I thought the logic board failure had an extended program?

I'd call apple and ask them what's up. Since it ran out last month, maybe they'll do it anyway?

*hopeful*

Good luck!!

lulu1929
Nov 23, 2005, 02:33 PM
so you guys suspect the logic board, even though i've had none of the associated signs or symptoms? if the logic board were fried wouldn't the thing at least turn on?

slooksterPSV
Nov 23, 2005, 02:37 PM
so you guys suspect the logic board, even though i've had none of the associated signs or symptoms? if the logic board were fried wouldn't the thing at least turn on?
Nope, cause if the logic board is fried, nothing will work.

lulu1929
Nov 23, 2005, 03:26 PM
i called apple, and after putting me on hold several times they said that the extension is only good until march 14th or three years after date of purchase, which ever helps more, and i bought this thing in september 2002.

i'm still wondering if it could possibly be anything besides the logic board. it wasn't even acting up before this happened. everything was fine and then one day it just wouldn't turn on. so strange.

dandrums
Nov 23, 2005, 04:43 PM
i called apple, and after putting me on hold several times they said that the extension is only good until march 14th or three years after date of purchase, which ever helps more, and i bought this thing in september 2002.

i'm still wondering if it could possibly be anything besides the logic board. it wasn't even acting up before this happened. everything was fine and then one day it just wouldn't turn on. so strange.

It might be the logic board, but not the same problem as covered in the extended repair program. Unfortunately it's just over 3 years old, so apple won't touch it anyway.

The chips on the logic board get so hot, they peel away from the circuit board. Try pushing down on the front left hand side of your mac, in the section below the keyboard to the left of the trackpad and power up. This is where the machine gets hottest and therfore most likely to fail.

If it won't fire up at all, I'll buy the screen off you as I have a machine with a cracked screen!

Dan

lulu1929
Nov 23, 2005, 07:42 PM
great dan, i might take you up on that!

i'm still hoping this thing can be revived somehow.

doucy2
Nov 23, 2005, 07:45 PM
i have the exact same ibook 700mhz
my motherboard went bad (thats what i suspect your problem to be also)
check and see if apple will repair it for free
if not part it out

if you part it you i call the back bezel of the screen (if its in decent condition)
PM me