PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Launches 'Xbox Music' for iPhone

MacRumors
Sep 9, 2013, 01:37 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/09/microsoft-launches-xbox-music-for-iphone/)

Microsoft today launched its Xbox Music (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/music) service on iOS and Android, expanding the service to other devices almost a full year after its original introduction. The company has also introduced free ad supported web-based streaming for all browsers, but mobile users will need an Xbox Music Pass to access the service, which costs $9.99 per month after a free 30-day trial.

The Xbox Music iPhone app includes a number of iOS optimized features such as the ability to multitask with Xbox Music running in the background, artist-based radio stations, and playlists that sync across all devices.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/xbox_music-800x473.jpgXbox Music Pass on iPhone features:
- Stream ad-free music from a catalog of tens of millions of songs
- Add songs, albums, and playlists to your Xbox Music collection and access them from other devices
- Create playlists that sync across your phone, Xbox 360, PC, tablet, and the web
- Listen to music while using your iPhone
- Listen to artist-based radio stations
- Enjoy a rich visual experience for searching, viewing, and playing back musicAccording to Xbox Music general manager Jerry Johnson, who spoke to Direct Link ("]The Verge[/url], Microsoft plans to update the Xbox Music app every four to six weeks. One of the first updates will include support for an offline mode.

Microsoft's expansion of Xbox Music comes as the company prepares to launch the service on its upcoming Xbox One console, which will be released on November 22nd.

Xbox Music is a free app and can be downloaded on the App Store. [[url="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbox-music/id669515221?mt=8)]

Article Link: Microsoft Launches 'Xbox Music' for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/09/microsoft-launches-xbox-music-for-iphone/)

The Phazer
Sep 9, 2013, 01:43 AM
This seems a pretty weak offering compared to Spotify or Google music.

Launching without an offline mode on iOS after six months? Crap.

LastLine
Sep 9, 2013, 02:00 AM
This seems a bit lame.

If I pay for Xbox Gold I'd expect to be able to stream for that price to be honest/

OtherJesus
Sep 9, 2013, 02:03 AM
This seems a bit lame.

If I pay for Xbox Gold I'd expect to be able to stream for that price to be honest/

I was thinking the same thing. I've been a Xbox live member for 10 years and they want me to pay $10 for a service weaker than Spotify? My mind has been blown.

sasza
Sep 9, 2013, 02:28 AM
Where is iTunes Pass? With iTunes huge music library streaming service is the only way to go! Apple must wake up!

PaulOBrain
Sep 9, 2013, 02:33 AM
Look at that open weave. Bitch got no class.

roadbloc
Sep 9, 2013, 02:35 AM
Wow. Microsoft actually beat Apple to the punch. Even though Spotify beat everybody else and is still probably the best.

Jessica Lares
Sep 9, 2013, 03:06 AM
For the general public, Xbox Music is fine. For the rest of us, Spotify/Rdio/etc is better.

It seems like every time a subscription service pops up, everyone on the internet immediately posts that Spotify/Rdio are better, why should we even consider this junk?

Spotify and Rdio aren't marketed the way Rhapsody, Xbox Music, and Google Play Music All Access are. You go on their website, and you get jargon like, "Music for every moment", and "Discover music".

Most people DON'T want to discover music. They want to listen to the current stuff in the charts, they want to check out a new album that they may or may not like, and they want it easy enough to do so.

The pretty pictures sell, and Spotify and Rdio have very little of that.

dumastudetto
Sep 9, 2013, 03:16 AM
Wow. Microsoft actually beat Apple to the punch. Even though Spotify beat everybody else and is still probably the best.

They beat Google too who promised an iOS app for All Access Music within "a few weeks". That was back in May. :D

tann
Sep 9, 2013, 03:44 AM
I'd choose this over Google Music All Access because at least they have given us an iOS app lol.

GoCubsGo
Sep 9, 2013, 03:46 AM
No way will I ever pay for this if I'm paying for my Live account. I never even knew they had a music service. I'll stick with Spotify.

springsup
Sep 9, 2013, 03:54 AM
These guys are going to get eaten up by Apple once iTunes Radio starts.

The key thing about iTunes Radio is that anybody who just buys an iPhone can walk out of the store, tap the music icon and start streaming music. Occasional listeners also don't have to download another app - it's all already there under 'Music'.

My parents have probably bought a total of 10 songs between them (mostly hits that time forgot), all from iTunes and only since buying iPhones. From time to time they'll ask me about a song they heard, but they can't be bothered to follow it up. I know they'll discover this service, and with it just being so easy, I'm pretty sure it'll lead them to listen to more music. In my opinion, that's the hallmark of a service that's going to take off.

I think people underestimate how big an impact ITR will have. Don't bother launching music services on iOS unless you're doing something different; you'll be fighting an uphill battle against a streaming service built in to the music app itself.

EDIT: God, I forgot how ugly Segoe is!

sasza
Sep 9, 2013, 04:29 AM
These guys are going to get eaten up by Apple once iTunes Radio starts.

The key thing about iTunes Radio is that anybody who just buys an iPhone can walk out of the store, tap the music icon and start streaming music. Occasional listeners also don't have to download another app - it's all already there under 'Music'.

My parents have probably bought a total of 10 songs between them (mostly hits that time forgot), all from iTunes and only since buying iPhones. From time to time they'll ask me about a song they heard, but they can't be bothered to follow it up. I know they'll discover this service, and with it just being so easy, I'm pretty sure it'll lead them to listen to more music. In my opinion, that's the hallmark of a service that's going to take off.

I think people underestimate how big an impact ITR will have. Don't bother launching music services on iOS unless you're doing something different; you'll be fighting an uphill battle against a streaming service built in to the music app itself.

EDIT: God, I forgot how ugly Segoe is!

You forget that iTunes radio will be available in the US only. Google Music availability outside US is also very limited.
Xbox music/Spotify/Rdio are available all around Europe while Apple didn't manage to make iTunes Match in all EU countries.

ValSalva
Sep 9, 2013, 04:54 AM
With so many music options out there will people really use this? Microsoft seems to have to try to get their hands in everything.

springsup
Sep 9, 2013, 05:02 AM
You forget that iTunes radio will be available in the US only. Google Music availability outside US is also very limited.
Xbox music/Spotify/Rdio are available all around Europe while Apple didn't manage to make iTunes Match in all EU countries.

iTunes Match availability (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5085) is pretty good. There's no Scandinavia, but pretty much the whole rest of the EU is covered (+ switzerland).

I'd expect iTunes Radio to follow pretty soon. Apple are usually good at spreading their products internationally.

I remember you couldn't even buy a Zune in Canada for years, and then Europe only came several years after that.

ArtOfWarfare
Sep 9, 2013, 05:57 AM
I remember you couldn't even buy a Zune in Canada for years, and then Europe only came several years after that.

I'm curious why you knew when the Zune became available in various areas - it almost suggests you actually gave a crap about the crap colored MP3 player.

Anyways, I anticipate ITR going over about as well as iAds or Ping did. I've been using iOS 7 beta and it seems to me that by placing it in the music app rather than making it it's own app, Apple has reduced the number of people who will find it.

The only service that stands a chance against Spotify, of the ones I've seen, is RadicalFM (the totally free service.) The key things Spotify has over it right now is: bigger library, better controls. But RadicalFM could improve in both areas to become a worthy contender to Spotify.

dugbug
Sep 9, 2013, 06:41 AM
iOS just continues to get all the once exclusive apps. I don't do any of the xbox services but I sure appreciate microsoft making them available to me.

Winni
Sep 9, 2013, 06:41 AM
For the general public, Xbox Music is fine. For the rest of us, Spotify/Rdio/etc is better.

I wonder to which group I belong -- I don't need or want either service.

Switchback666
Sep 9, 2013, 06:48 AM
I think the web service (browser app) is free; agree it should be all-access for xbox live sub.

unplugme71
Sep 9, 2013, 08:29 AM
Wonder if they'll adjust the price to compete with iTunes Match/iRadio service.

$10 is a lot per month

Mums
Sep 9, 2013, 08:41 AM

That sucks! I paid for iTunes Match here in America but will be spending the next year in UK - so no iTunes Radio for me? That's bullsh@t!!!!

Dr McKay
Sep 9, 2013, 08:45 AM
That sucks! I paid for iTunes Match here in America but will be spending the next year in UK - so no iTunes Radio for me? That's bullsh@t!!!!

Once you step outside the US, you'll begin to realise how US companies regard the rest of the World.

VenusianSky
Sep 9, 2013, 09:08 AM
This service has existed for a while. It use to be Zune Music, or whatever they called it on Zune and they changed it to Xbox Music for Windows 8. The article here is just that it is now available for iOS and Android.

darkslide29
Sep 9, 2013, 09:38 AM
I might check the 30 day trial out.

The thing is, comparing iTunes radio with this is apples and oranges, just as comparing pandora with spotify is. They offer different services.

For my situation, I plan to buy an Xbox One in November. I have also been contemplating getting spotify for "on demand" music, instead of the pandora-like radio service.
If you aren't even considering an Xbox one (or don't own an Xbox 360), then this service may not be worth considering. Alternatives may be better.

I'll probably use it for music discovery, or if I want to hear an album in the charts.
For music I actually own, I will continue to use iTunes Match on my iOS and Apple TV.
Still working it out in my head, not sure of Xbox music could completely take over - dont think I want it to.

Can't wait for iTunes radio also - ill be dropping my pandora subscription since I am already an iTunes Match subscriber.

Scott6666
Sep 9, 2013, 10:26 AM
Tried to try it but first I had to go to the website and then they wanted a credit card for my 30 day free trial. Gave up. Delete.

Dave-Z
Sep 9, 2013, 10:32 AM
The key thing about iTunes Radio is that anybody who just buys an iPhone can walk out of the store, tap the music icon and start streaming music.

And by "anybody" you mean the roughly 5% of the world's population that happens to live in the USA. ;)

The rest of us 95% will need some other options.

Jessica Lares
Sep 9, 2013, 10:33 AM
I wonder to which group I belong -- I don't need or want either service.

Oh yeah, me either. I have another month of free Rdio right now, but otherwise, I prefer to buy my music.

darkslide29
Sep 9, 2013, 10:49 AM
No way will I ever pay for this if I'm paying for my Live account. I never even knew they had a music service. I'll stick with Spotify.

I think I read in a different article that on an Xbox 360/One we can access free artist-based radio with ads (like Pandorda) for ten hours a month with an Xbox Live subscription. However, that doesn't include the ability to listen to "on-demand" music (like Spotify). That does require the subscription.
Also, we can't get the free radio on iOS.

$10 is a lot per month

The thing is, the services in iTunes Radio ($25 per year) aren't really comparable to Xbox Music ($10 per month). They're just different, just like Pandora (more radio-based with limited control over content) vs Spotify (on-demand content) can't be compared.
In the same sense, Pandora at $39 per year and Spotify at $10 per month are priced similarly to this strategy.

In short, don't expect Xbox Music to adjust price, as they are already competitively priced with Spotify and company.

Elbon
Sep 9, 2013, 11:20 AM

$10 is a lot per month

My thoughts exactly. $10 per month vs. $25 per year.

Michael Goff
Sep 9, 2013, 11:23 AM

If you're outside of the US it doesn't matter if iTunes Radio is 25$ a year.

Black Magic
Sep 9, 2013, 07:51 PM
Look at that open weave. Bitch got no class.

LMAO! Please explain this random comment!

----------

This seems a bit lame.

I came into this thread/story thinking cool, MS adding more apps to iOS then I read your post and got pissed because you are right! I pay for XBOX Live and now they want you to pay extra for this? Crazy!

dmylrea
Sep 9, 2013, 09:18 PM
The best part of the article for me was that they have an Android app now!

I've had a Zune Pass subscription for years, and now I can use that (it appears) to listen to xbox music content. No extra charge...Nice. :)

springsup
Sep 10, 2013, 06:44 AM
And by "anybody" you mean the roughly 5% of the world's population that happens to live in the USA. ;)

The rest of us 95% will need some other options.

It's not going to stay US-only. I suspect we'll hear more about international availability later today.

The fact that iTunes Match customers don't have to listen to ads makes me think that the Match deals include some terms about ITR (but it could be the other way around - Apple could have signed new ITR deals that include terms about Match).

Apple is pretty good about international availability. I can't think of many online stores that are available in as many countries as iTunes.

Check out the availability of music on Google Play (https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2843119?hl=en), for instance. It's basically the US + Australia + Western Europe. Amazon MP3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_MP3#Catalog_availability) is available in even fewer countries. Nobody comes close to iTunes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_Store#Internationalization) when it comes to purchasing songs (there's a map at the bottom the table). For example, neither Google or Amazon serve South America, but they've got a full iTunes experience (including Match).

If you're talking about streaming, Spotify (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotify#Geographic_availability) isn't much more widely available than Match. Pandora is only available in the US, Australia and NZ.

iTunes Radio will leave the US quickly. I'd imagine we'd see it in Europe at least by the end of the year.

northernmunky
Sep 10, 2013, 09:19 AM
It sucks cos its Microsoft and not Apple :D

Glassed Silver
Sep 10, 2013, 11:48 AM

Welcome to my world.

Anything outside the US gets a second class experience at best.

To my knowledge the UK still gets more stuff than for example Germany.

You should be glad to not stay in Germany if we're talking about countries where you'd expect better and more care by US companies.

Glassed Silver:mac

unplugme71
Sep 10, 2013, 03:38 PM

I rather pay $1.00 per 100 songs or something with maybe 1 or 2 ads per hour. This way if one month I'm not listening to music I'm not charged.