PDA

View Full Version : Plugging in Thunderbolt causing system crash

LouisLeLou
Sep 9, 2013, 04:40 AM
Hello there,

I've had a few system crashes after plugging a Thunderbolt adapter -> Firewire drive into my iMac (late 2012, i7, 680MX, 1TB Fusion)... Any insight?

It's happened about half a dozen times, seemingly randomly, so I now get a little bit nervous when plugging it in... Doing the holdy-down-power-button force shutdown isn't something I enjoy!

Cheers!

L

simsaladimbamba
Sep 9, 2013, 04:45 AM
Is the Firewire drive already attached to the TB<>FW adapter when attaching that adapter to your iMac?
Can you post one or three kernel panic reports to your next post?
You can use the CODE tags for that: http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/editor/code.gif

LouisLeLou
Sep 9, 2013, 04:57 AM
Hi there, thanks for the reply

Yes the drive is already attached to the TB - FW adapter when I plug it in, I was actually just considering changing that to see if it made a difference.

I'm afraid you may have to guide me through finding the kernel panic report... I'm looking at Console but I can't seem to find anything in the sidebar under System Diagnostic Reports that corresponds to the crash I had about 10 minutes ago.

Cheers!

L

simsaladimbamba
Sep 9, 2013, 06:37 AM
Hi there, thanks for the reply

Yes the drive is already attached to the TB - FW adapter when I plug it in, I was actually just considering changing that to see if it made a difference.

I'm afraid you may have to guide me through finding the kernel panic report... I'm looking at Console but I can't seem to find anything in the sidebar under System Diagnostic Reports that corresponds to the crash I had about 10 minutes ago.

Cheers!

L

When the machine was restarted by you and you logged back in to your user account, was there no window looking like this:
http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/TS3742/en_US/TS3742_04--Restarted-001-en.png

And have you looked in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports to find any reports?

LouisLeLou
Sep 9, 2013, 10:52 AM
I had a look through the /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder but it didn't show anything pertinent. When I force-shutdown the computer when this happens I don't get the usual crash dialogue, unfortunately I just get a "You shut down the computer because of a problem do you want to open the windows you had open blah blah" over the grey startup screen with the Apple logo, no "Report..." option.